Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Apleeseed84

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 22, 2020
Anyone having issues connecting with CarPlay not connecting back to the iphone? I thought I was having issues with my sirius xm app but this problem replicated with my Apple Music app as well, there’s a disconnect when loading content with the CarPlay interface and the iphone.

The only way to make this work is manually using the iphone to make it work.

I used two cars with apple CarPlay and the same issue popped up and next thing you know my girlfriend is yelling at me for upgrading her iphone early because I found out she’s having problems with her CarPlay app as well.

I don’t know if the Apple Relay has any problems with this.

This is an example of what I am seeing:

This is prevalent through my music apps on my iPhone 12 Btw.

Attachments

• 92CAE557-8770-4485-8479-24E60CD08791.jpeg
    92CAE557-8770-4485-8479-24E60CD08791.jpeg
    51 KB · Views: 2,282
  • 3ACACB1A-0660-4268-BAAA-F3D14A932642.jpeg
    3ACACB1A-0660-4268-BAAA-F3D14A932642.jpeg
    73.1 KB · Views: 167
  • AA3A828A-2BD4-48BA-87B9-BFB9EE082E50.jpeg
    AA3A828A-2BD4-48BA-87B9-BFB9EE082E50.jpeg
    37.5 KB · Views: 171
  • 8B1A64C2-D859-4413-B178-27F4F3A2EC0E.jpeg
    8B1A64C2-D859-4413-B178-27F4F3A2EC0E.jpeg
    32.3 KB · Views: 170
  • F8C3445A-189E-475F-8CBD-7457E773531E.jpeg
    F8C3445A-189E-475F-8CBD-7457E773531E.jpeg
    44.2 KB · Views: 153

mpaquette

macrumors regular
Jul 15, 2010
Columbia, SC
This happened to me on the way to work this morning, but worked fine on the way home tonight. I was also having issues sending pics through iMessage so I reset my network settings when I got home. Anxious to see how CarPlay behaves tomorrow morning.

• Wow
Reactions: Apleeseed84

Apleeseed84

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 22, 2020
I have never had issues with CarPlay ever either so it came to shock whenever everything started to malfunction at once, there was a point where the phone network wasn’t even working

Bcarraher

macrumors member
Jul 30, 2010
Welcome to my world. I started reporting this over a month ago. SiriusXM, IHeartRadio, TuneIn Radio all have failure to connect errors. The app developers have acknowledged the complaints and one of them, TuneIn, said I shouldn't have installed beta software on my phone and it would be fixed by 9/20. SiriusXM said the problem is at Apple's end.

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
Anyone having issues connecting with CarPlay not connecting back to the iphone? I thought I was having issues with my sirius xm app but this problem replicated with my Apple Music app as well, there’s a disconnect when loading content with the CarPlay interface and the iphone.

The only way to make this work is manually using the iphone to make it work.

I used two cars with apple CarPlay and the same issue popped up and next thing you know my girlfriend is yelling at me for upgrading her iphone early because I found out she’s having problems with her CarPlay app as well.

I don’t know if the Apple Relay has any problems with this.

This is an example of what I am seeing:

This is prevalent through my music apps on my iPhone 12 Btw.

I am experiencing this, as well... and it is doing this for ALL audio sources - SiriusXM, iHeartRadio, Spotify and even Downcast podcast. Massively annoying...

Apleeseed84

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 22, 2020
Welcome to my world. I started reporting this over a month ago. SiriusXM, IHeartRadio, TuneIn Radio all have failure to connect errors. The app developers have acknowledged the complaints and one of them, TuneIn, said I shouldn't have installed beta software on my phone and it would be fixed by 9/20. SiriusXM said the problem is at Apple's end.
This happened to me when I downloaded iOS 15 on Monday, with iOS 14 never had this issue at all!! I just started dealing with sirius and so far it’s the usual troubleshooting, uninstall, reinstall, they told me they will look into it for the time being! Shockingly though was the Apple Music app glitching also, it took me to do a hard reset on my car and my iPhone to get it work after 30 minutes.
I am experiencing this, as well... and it is doing this for ALL audio sources - SiriusXM, iHeartRadio, Spotify and even Downcast podcast. Massively annoying...
Colossally annoying, I can’t even listen to music at all now through carplay
layout is badly broken in the 15.0 release. been like this since beta 4
??

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
Or is an app problem that has to be updated by vendor?

First, if it was an app problem, odds are that one or more of the audio apps would work correctly. Since it appears to be all of them, one of two things is going on: Apple changed something (obsoleted an internal call or function?) and all of the apps need to be updated OR the issue is with the CarPlay platform itself.

And since some have reported an issue with Apple Music, as well as the third party apps, my money is on a bug/problem with the CarPlay platform.

Apleeseed84

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 22, 2020
Apple focused too much on privacy there has got to be a disconnect between how everything connects with the apps in the background.
Never had issues with iOS 14 and the apps I was working it, apple CarPlay is just an interface that mirrors your phone to be honest.
If I had issues with an app in the past all I had to do was swipe up on the phone and the app started working on CarPlay.

the issue is that it won’t connect with any apps all together and even apple’s internal apps.
It’s been a long 3 days without really unable to successfully use the CarPlay interface

Reactions: Craiguyver

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
Apple focused too much on privacy there has got to be a disconnect between how everything connects with the apps in the background.
Never had issues with iOS 14 and the apps I was working it, apple CarPlay is just an interface that mirrors your phone to be honest.
If I had issues with an app in the past all I had to do was swipe up on the phone and the app started working on CarPlay.

the issue is that it won’t connect with any apps all together and even apple’s internal apps.
It’s been a long 3 days without really unable to successfully use the CarPlay interface

I have been able to get all of the apps working via launching the app and selecting the station/playlist on the phone app. But the point is that Apple completely borked the CarPlay interface, and at this point you HAVE to use the phone - which, among other things, is annoying AND unsafe to do while driving.

mpaquette

macrumors regular
Jul 15, 2010
Columbia, SC
Mine generally worked today with Apple Music but it’s quirky. Screen will freeze and be unresponsive for 30 seconds, then work fine. Music won’t automatically start playing again after listening to a text.

Ve2jvb

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2021
The only way to make CarPlay works was with 15.1 beta 1. All music streaming apps like deezer and amazon music is getting communication errors and guess what Apple Music works. ! Of course.

• Sad

Carlson-online

macrumors 6502
May 27, 2004
The only way to make CarPlay works was with 15.1 beta 1. All music streaming apps like deezer and amazon music is getting communication errors and guess what Apple Music works. ! Of course.
What does the layout look like I’m the beta ? Fixed? ( see my post above )

• Wow

deeppurple114

macrumors member
Jul 13, 2021
usually it's works fine and no issues but sometimes probably some inside issues in my car system (chevy spark 2016) car play seems to be connected but chevy logo stuck on screen. this little bit sucks

coffee06

macrumors member
Sep 17, 2021
I’ve got iOS15 on iPhone 7 in a ‘21 Telluride and I’m not having any issues thus far.

Justinb51

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2010
Indianapolis, IN
iPhone 13, iOS 15, 2017 Ford F-150 (Sync3). Apple Music crashes CarPlay when I try to play something, from the car or the phone.
I’m guessing this is an iOS problem then looking at this thread.

just checked my Harley, same thing happens.

Last edited:

toph2toast

macrumors 6502a
Feb 24, 2011
I have an iPhone 13 Pro Max. Apple music crashes Carplay on both my Jeep Wrangler and Jeep Grand Cherokee. For other audio apps like the apple podcast app, the UI makes it look like the episode isn't downloaded, which isn't the case, so I cant play those. It was broken for me in both iOS 15 and iOS 15.1.

Of note, I didn't have this issue on my iPhone 11 pro, even though I was running the beta and GM of iOS 15.

adamw94

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2016
Manchester, UK
Also having issues with either iPhone 13 Pro Max or iOS 15.

my iPhone 12 Pro Max used to connect via CarPlay wirelessly almost instantly. I’m having to reset all the connection settings to get it to work most of the time and it doesn’t appear I am able to connect using the usb.

Car being used is a BMW 1 series.

Hope this gets fixed quickly!!

• Wow

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
Also having issues with either iPhone 13 Pro Max or iOS 15.

my iPhone 12 Pro Max used to connect via CarPlay wirelessly almost instantly. I’m having to reset all the connection settings to get it to work most of the time and it doesn’t appear I am able to connect using the usb.

Car being used is a BMW 1 series.

Hope this gets fixed quickly!!

I hope so, too. But don’t hold your breath. Apple really screwed the pooch on this one.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.