Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

adamw94

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2016
Manchester, UK
It’s a bug. Found the solution in another forum. Go to settings->music-> and turn off the EQ. Fixes it or at least did for me
See I don’t have any EQ set. My issues aren’t with CarPlay itself. I can’t even get into car play.

my car is showing my phone connected twice.

1BEF3D1B-ADB1-49C3-B381-3A3C85DBB4B8.jpeg

when I reset it and it works, it shows as one.

C873E260-60E8-486D-913B-CE1E39865BB6.jpeg

Apleeseed84

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 22, 2020
So far I submitted my videos and problems to apple and haven’t heard from them since Friday so now I’m curious to see if they are deeply investigation, I can’t use the carplay interface at all since Monday last week and have to rely on my iphone which is a no no from the get go.

So frustrating for the time being.

Thomas6449

macrumors newbie
Jan 2, 2016
I am having the same problem with CarPlay on both an iPhone XR and iPhone 12 and I am using it with a Pioneer aftermarket radio in a Renault Clio in France. Most apps are working but Tune-in certainly is not using CarPlay. However, I can pick a station on Tune-in on my iPhone and it will play it through CarPlay, but I can not get the app to work in CarPlay. Obviously an iOS 15 problem as it worked fine with the last iOS 14.7 version.

Reactions: Craiguyver

dmccombs

macrumors 6502a
May 13, 2013
I am experiencing this, as well... and it is doing this for ALL audio sources - SiriusXM, iHeartRadio, Spotify and even Downcast podcast. Massively annoying...
I have this also. Has anyone with 15.1 beta 2 been able to see if Apple fixed the audio sources issue?

Apleeseed84

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 22, 2020
So after talking to the apple customer rep who took a week back to respond since he was going back and forth with apple engineers they told me that it’s a widespread issue from updating to iOs 15 and there’s no current timeline to get fixed and that it might roll out in a security update in the near future. This was after in depth trouble shooting with my device since I had to factory reset, uninstall and re install the app, try different vehicles with apple car and also recording videos of the incident back to them.

He told me that’s bad news but I’m like it’s good to know it’s widespread since it will get fixed in the near future.

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
It appears that there are two different issues with CarPlay and music... the EQ "fix" is for the iPhone 13 crashing CarPlay... the other issue is the inability to control any audio app from the CarPlay interface on iOS15.

Getting really annoyed at Apple's (lack of) quality control. They ran 3+ months of developer and public betas and something like this slips through... there is no excuse.

CTHarrryH

macrumors 68030
Jul 4, 2012
It appears that there are two different issues with CarPlay and music... the EQ "fix" is for the iPhone 13 crashing CarPlay... the other issue is the inability to control any audio app from the CarPlay interface on iOS15.

Getting really annoyed at Apple's (lack of) quality control. They ran 3+ months of developer and public betas and something like this slips through... there is no excuse.
Did anyone of the developer or public beta report this issue? I don't remember seeing this on forum. If no one tested/reported it then it isn't really Apple's fault that wasn't fixed from that testing. However, this seems as one of the type of functions that Apple staff should have tested and reported

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
Did anyone of the developer or public beta report this issue? I don't remember seeing this on forum. If no one tested/reported it then it isn't really Apple's fault that wasn't fixed from that testing. However, this seems as one of the type of functions that Apple staff should have tested and reported

I can't say I did not do any of the betas from iOS15.

Last edited:

eelynek

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2013
I was on the beta and never experienced this issue. It's mind boggling that it suddenly appeared after the official iOS release.

TonyC28

macrumors 68030
Aug 15, 2009
USA
iOS 15 has been much of the same between my iPhone and 2019 Chevy Traverse. Sometimes it takes a few plug-ins to get it to connect. Sometimes after it connects and I hold the button for Siri it will disconnect and reconnect. One new issue is that fast forward and rewind don’t work anymore.

Reactions: Apleeseed84

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
Went for a drive today for the first time since getting my iPhone 13 Pro. Got the Music crashing CarPlay issue and also noticed that opening an app on the iPhone also crashes CarPlay. Didn’t get this on my iPhone 12 Pro with iOS 15.

What a mess this whole upgrade has been so far.

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
Went for a drive today for the first time since getting my iPhone 13 Pro. Got the Music crashing CarPlay issue and also noticed that opening an app on the iPhone also crashes CarPlay. Didn’t get this on my iPhone 12 Pro with iOS 15.

What a mess this whole upgrade has been so far.

Yes it has... and not sure how Apple can be oblivious to all of the issues... yet they refuse to acknowledge the massive screw up that CarPlay is under iOS15.

• Angry
Reactions: Itinj24

Gjwilly

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2011
SF Bay Area
the other issue is the inability to control any audio app from the CarPlay interface on iOS15.

This was a problem through all of the betas but individual app updates fixed most of the problems I experienced.

Prologue.
BBC Sounds
Audacy
iHeartRadio

None of these worked during the beta testing and now after updating the apps, all of them work for me except iHeartRadio.

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
Yes it has... and not sure how Apple can be oblivious to all of the issues... yet they refuse to acknowledge the massive screw up that CarPlay is under iOS15.
I can appreciate the new features they add but when you break old features that have been big talking points at their previous keynotes, it gets really frustrating. Take one step forward but three back. That’s how these OS updates feel. Was really looking forward to the unlimited HKSV cameras in iOS 15 but at what cost?

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
I can appreciate the new features they add but when you break old features that have been big talking points at their previous keynotes, it gets really frustrating. Take one step forward but three back. That’s how these OS updates feel. Was really looking forward to the unlimited HKSV cameras in iOS 15 but at what cost?

For several years, Apple added things to the GM release that was not in any of the betas. The premise was that they wanted to keep some things secret and "one more thing" the user base at release time - but that stuff NEVER got tested the way other stuff did because they were not in the betas.

I did not run any of the iOS15 betas this year, so I cannot say how the CarPlay garbage worked in beta... but it's an absolute cluster**** now that it's live in production... I still cannot manage iHeartradio, SiriusXM and Downcast via the CarPlay interface... so I am not a happy camper.

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
I just got an update for Downcast that claims it "Fixes CarPlay behavior on iOS15". Will test it tomorrow... and hopefully SiriusXM and iHeartRadio will follow... what a massive PITA.

Reactions: Itinj24

Itinj24

Contributor
Nov 8, 2017
New York
For several years, Apple added things to the GM release that was not in any of the betas. The premise was that they wanted to keep some things secret and "one more thing" the user base at release time - but that stuff NEVER got tested the way other stuff did because they were not in the betas.

I did not run any of the iOS15 betas this year, so I cannot say how the CarPlay garbage worked in beta... but it's an absolute cluster**** now that it's live in production... I still cannot manage iHeartradio, SiriusXM and Downcast via the CarPlay interface... so I am not a happy camper.
I never run any betas because I’m afraid to lose/bug critical software components on the phone but to be honest, doesn’t really look like it matters. Every initial major iOS release is pretty much a beta. We better be in for some great one more thing feature then… CarPlay better shave my face on the way to work and it better be a real close shave lol.

Gjwilly

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2011
SF Bay Area
Besides broken apps is anyone else noticing differences in Siri over CarPlay?
I used to get an audible tone after every Siri interaction to let me know that it was waiting for voice input.
And now there's almost no pause after Siri asks "Ready to send it" before actually sending a dictated message.

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
Besides broken apps is anyone else noticing differences in Siri over CarPlay?
I used to get an audible tone after every Siri interaction to let me know that it was waiting for voice input.
And now there's almost no pause after Siri asks "Ready to send it" before actually sending a dictated message.

Yeah, I noticed that as well. The way Apple works these days it could be either a bug or an intentional change. Either way, I prefer the old way.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.