Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jonnyb098

macrumors 601
Nov 16, 2010
Michigan
15.4 is a mess in general. I need to learn my lesson and just stop doing these updates except when getting a new device. They changed SOMETHING because both my iPhone 12 and iPad Pro 2020 sometimes like to go the Home Screen when Im trying to swipe to the app switcher or take me to the app switcher when Im trying to go home. It’s worse on the phone but then again my iPhone 12 has been a choppy mess since I got it with iOS 14. My XR with iOS 12 was the smoothest apple device I think I ever used In a decade.

jonobin

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2014
The mixed feedback make me suspect that the issue is with some widgets/apps installed on the device. Maybe trying to delete one for one can be a thing to investigate the issue

BladeRunner95

macrumors member
Oct 4, 2017
Earth
Well it looks like the end to this fiasco is in sight! Sort of..

With the new Apple hardware subscription service there will be no need for planned obsolescence techniques once the iPhone ultimately becomes ‘subscription only’ (probably a few years off as it’ll be phased in).

I would imagine there’ll be a limit on how long they will operate once they’re subscription only, so you might be able to keep the phone maybe 4-5 years, at which point it has to get replaced, and the old one is returned for ‘recycling’.

At least it’s a more honest approach from Apple, and these ‘issues’ with lag and stutter will be a thing of the past!..

Paddle1

macrumors 601
May 1, 2013
Just updated to 15.4.1 from 14.8.1 on one of my devices on Tuesday. It seems "okay". The animations throughout the whole OS seem slightly more jittery. Safari is a lot more stuttery, especially switching tabs. App opening and closing is not as smooth as iOS 14.

All in all it's mostly visual issues I've had. The performance still seems to be good. Of course this is just a first impression. Will see if I notice anything else.

Reactions: m4v3r1ck

Andrey11

macrumors member
Nov 5, 2021
Guys, what about the iOS 15.5 beta 1, who has already tested it? Are there any improvements?

Last edited:

Neodym

macrumors 68020
Jul 5, 2002
Well it looks like the end to this fiasco is in sight! Sort of..

With the new Apple hardware subscription service there will be no need for planned obsolescence techniques once the iPhone ultimately becomes ‘subscription only’ (probably a few years off as it’ll be phased in).

I would imagine there’ll be a limit on how long they will operate once they’re subscription only, so you might be able to keep the phone maybe 4-5 years, at which point it has to get replaced, and the old one is returned for ‘recycling’.

At least it’s a more honest approach from Apple, and these ‘issues’ with lag and stutter will be a thing of the past!..
Apple’s subscription model allows to replace a device every year iirc. So the devices taken back early have to be marketed somehow (2nd hand, refurb etc.), as recycling after one year would be a very bad thing to do on multiple levels!

Also, Apple can’t simply „switch off“ a device after 4-5 years and demand recycling. That would cause a - justified! - uproar among customers and governments alike.

The trend is currently going towards a _prolonged_ device lifetime (even laws are underway to support that), so Apple needs to find better ways to keep their customers satisfied. Maybe they even get their act together to ensure long-term and consistent software quality. ?

Sounds like Science-Fiction, I know, but a man can dream, right?! ;-)

Reactions: m4v3r1ck
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.