Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

Pearsey

Contributor
Nov 12, 2016
Royal Tunbridge Wells
Wired CarPlay

ugh, thought it was the wire but took a while to get round to changing it out... but it wasn't the wire.

Wired CarPlay... just freezes. so you have to unplug and plug it back in and things just carry on as normal. Happens at least once, every drive.

I've done all the normal stuff to fix... any clever ideas?

I've just offloaded and reinstalled Maps and Spotify to see if that does anything.

UPDATE:
offloading Maps and Spotify fixed the freezing issue. Two journeys now all good.

Last edited:

upandown

macrumors 65816
Apr 10, 2017
Wired CarPlay

ugh, thought it was the wire but took a while to get round to changing it out... but it wasn't the wire.

Wired CarPlay... just freezes. so you have to unplug and plug it back in and things just carry on as normal. Happens at least once, every drive.

I've done all the normal stuff to fix... any clever ideas?

I've just offloaded and reinstalled Maps and Spotify to see if that does anything.
Factory reset your head unit in the car. I’ve had that fix carplay issues on 2 cars.

Reactions: Pearsey

Pearsey

Contributor
Nov 12, 2016
Royal Tunbridge Wells
Factory reset your head unit in the car. I’ve had that fix carplay issues on 2 cars.

Ok good tip. Quite a drastic move though.

So far coming home after I reinstalled maps and Spotify, it’s not frozen. See how tomorrow’s commute goes 🤞🏼. Failing that, I’ll reset my media console.

upandown

macrumors 65816
Apr 10, 2017

So far coming home after I reinstalled maps and Spotify, it’s not frozen. See how tomorrow’s commute goes 🤞🏼. Failing that, I’ll reset my media console.
Good luck 👍🏻

Reactions: Pearsey

jtkboston

macrumors regular
Oct 23, 2014
I have to reboot my head unit relatively frequently (2020 Subaru Forester) in the past several years (multiple iOS major releases), when the phone and head unit don't play nice. Usually it's obvious, right after connecting the phone and about to start driving.

slomtbr

macrumors regular
Sep 1, 2010

Before you perform a reset, delete your phone from the head unit's CarPlay device list, and delete the head unit from the phone and start over.

Dust-by-Monday

macrumors 6502
Aug 24, 2021
Anyone else experiencing music auto pausing when you hit play or is it just me? I'll plug in a pair of headphones, press play and then it immediately pauses again. It doesn't matter if it's wired or bluetooth devices.

It's getting really annoying.

Reactions: elementalwingma

bradl

macrumors 603
Jun 16, 2008
I have 17.4.1 on both iPad and iPhone and they seem fine. Yet when I hook em up to MBP I see this: (below.) Is that the version I should stay away from?
View attachment 2365386

Apparently, yes. But personally, I don't let my Mac or even iTunes upgrade the iOS on my devices. I prefer to grab the IPSW and do it that way. I'll download it, connect my device, hold down the option key on my Mac while clicking on Update, and select the newly downloaded IPSW file.

I did that with my 15PM when the new build came out, updated to it, saw some (but not significantly stark) drop in battery performance, then reverted (updated "back") to the 236 build, which I had already downloaded the IPSW for (both are still signed).

BL.

Reactions: Isamilis

upandown

macrumors 65816
Apr 10, 2017
Anyone else experiencing music auto pausing when you hit play or is it just me? I'll plug in a pair of headphones, press play and then it immediately pauses again. It doesn't matter if it's wired or bluetooth devices.

Yes, same here. Seems to happen on all devices and output methods including CarPlay and HomePod.

elementalwingma

macrumors regular
Nov 23, 2014

It has been driving me absolutely insane.

bradl

macrumors 603
Jun 16, 2008
Here is a question..

Has anyone noticed that when making or receiving a phone all, iOS 17.x apparently is defaulting to using the speaker for output instead of the phone or any bluetooth device? I don't know if that change was made in a previous version of iOS, but it's getting annoying when having my APP2 on that I keep having to tap the audio button and select my APP2 when receiving a phone call or making a call.

Anyone else seeing this?

BL.

mistercoffee1

macrumors member
Sep 26, 2020
CA, USA
Here is a question..

Has anyone noticed that when making or receiving a phone all, iOS 17.x apparently is defaulting to using the speaker for output instead of the phone or any bluetooth device? I don't know if that change was made in a previous version of iOS, but it's getting annoying when having my APP2 on that I keep having to tap the audio button and select my APP2 when receiving a phone call or making a call.

Anyone else seeing this?

BL.
No, works fine/as expected on my 14 Pro.

Ninflu

macrumors regular
Can I install 21E236 over 21E237? I feel like my battery life got much worse on X7
Yes you can downgrade. I did it with my iPhone 15 Plus.

You need to re-install your whole IOS, it's a downgrade. So you will loose all your data and need to use a backup. You can use an old backup or a backup of your phone with 21E237 (which I did). I did not use an iCloud Backup.

This is what I did:

1. Download the IPSW for 21E236
2. Backup your phone on your Win/Mac
3. Restore your Phone using the IPSW to 21E236
4. Restore your Backup from your Win/Mac

With 21E236 my iPhone 15 Plus Battery life is okay, it can life with that.

contacos

macrumors 601
Nov 11, 2020
Mexico City living in Berlin
Yes. And maybe a no. You need to re-install your whole IOS, it's a downgrade. So you will loose all your data and need to use a backup.

This is what I did:

3. Restore your Phone using zthe IPSW to 21E236

Answering my own question now 😅 but I actually did not even have to restore it. I just downloaded the IPSW and „updated“ over the other one.

Ninflu

macrumors regular
Answering my own question now 😅 but I actually did not even have to restore it. I just downloaded the IPSW and „updated“ over the other one.
That's a good point... I wish I had done that (or tried) that before. It was a bit of work to setup my phone... but maybe, the restore cleaned something up, so maybe it was a good thing to clean it up.

bradl

macrumors 603
Jun 16, 2008
Yes you can downgrade. I did it with my iPhone 15 Plus.

You need to re-install your whole IOS, it's a downgrade. So you will loose all your data and need to use a backup. You can use an old backup or a backup of your phone with 21E237 (which I did). I did not use an iCloud Backup.

This is what I did:

3. Restore your Phone using the IPSW to 21E236

That's a good point... I wish I had done that (or tried) that before. It was a bit of work to setup my phone... but maybe, the restore cleaned something up, so maybe it was a good thing to clean it up.

I didn't even need to do that. Since both builds are still signed, all I had to do was:
  1. download the IPSW file,
  2. connect my iPhone to my Mac,
  3. hold down the option key while hitting Update.
  4. select the downloaded IPSW file, and
  5. watch it go.
As it is doing this via an upgrade, no restore of data from a backup is needed. Obviously, I do back up my iPhone prior to any update, so if anything does happen, I'll just restore from that backup (I don't back up to iCloud; all my backups are local to my Mac). But with doing this as an upgrade, no restore of data is required, as long as the IPSW is signed.

BL.

OJK

macrumors member
Sep 19, 2020
It’s not life altering. Battery is probably a little better.

What I was trying to say is all the features are running fine now & I am not in the market anymore to test any new features that I don’t need. Also, I will be waiting until at least this time next year for iOS 18 installation, if at all, because I am almost positive it will negatively impact my 13 mini, which I want to keep for a long time due to it’s size.
So you have 17.4.1 on your 13 mini now? Did you come from iOS 16?
Did you notice it being slower than on iOS16?
Seems we have similar requirements for our phones (also 13 mini here and want to keep it for long, not interested in latest features. The only feature I would love to have is the charge limiter to 80% but it doesn’t come to below iP 15 anyway).

spartan1967

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2019
So you have 17.4.1 on your 13 mini now? Did you come from iOS 16?
Did you notice it being slower than on iOS16?
Seems we have similar requirements for our phones (also 13 mini here and want to keep it for long, not interested in latest features. The only feature I would love to have is the charge limiter to 80% but it doesn’t come to below iP 15 anyway).
Actually, since my post I installed the newer version of 17.4.1, which you can only do from a PC/Mac. Maybe it was the entire reinstall of the version, but my 13 Mini is very smooth now with no jitters or stuttering versus the older version of 17.4.1. I did come from iOS16 & I can say it seems faster than iOS16, but the battery does drain faster. This could be because my battery capacity is at 85% now.

I do plan on getting a new battery this summer before iOS18 is released. I also do not use Optimized Battery Charging because the phone does not seem to get my schedule.

Reactions: OJK

OJK

macrumors member
Sep 19, 2020
Actually, since my post I installed the newer version of 17.4.1, which you can only do from a PC/Mac. Maybe it was the entire reinstall of the version, but my 13 Mini is very smooth now with no jitters or stuttering versus the older version of 17.4.1. I did come from iOS16 & I can say it seems faster than iOS16, but the battery does drain faster. This could be because my battery capacity is at 85% now.

I do plan on getting a new battery this summer before iOS18 is released. I also do not use Optimized Battery Charging because the phone does not seem to get my schedule.
There are two versions of 17.4.1? 🤔
Could you elaborate a bit more?

bradl

macrumors 603
Jun 16, 2008
There are two versions of 17.4.1? 🤔
Could you elaborate a bit more?

an update to 17.4.1 came out to address an issue that was happening with the iPhone 13. I don't remember what the exact issue is but it was a change in one part mainly for that, which was released for everyone.

BL.

Reactions: spartan1967
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.