Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

iOS 18 will add a few new features to the Notes app related to voice memos and mathematics, according to information obtained by AppleInsider.

iOS-18-General-Notes-Feature-2.jpg

First, the report claims that iOS 18 will allow iPhone users to record voice memos directly within the Notes app, and these recordings could then be embedded in notes. Audio recordings can already be copy and pasted from the Voice Memos app into the Notes app for playback, but this step would no longer be necessary starting with iOS 18.

Second, the report claims that the Notes app will likely gain support for displaying mathematical notation on iOS 18, meaning that users would be able to add more types of mathematical equations to notes. This feature will allegedly have some kind of integration with the Calculator app, but the exact implementation is unclear.

The report also says macOS 15 will feature a redesigned Calculator app.

Apple will unveil iOS 18 at its annual developers conference WWDC, which runs from June 10 through June 14, and the update should be widely released in September. We recently recapped other new features and changes expected with iOS 18, including a more customizable Home Screen, Siri enhancements, and more.

Article Link: iOS 18 Rumor: Notes App to Offer New Voice Memos and Math Features

Fuzzball84

macrumors 68020
Apr 19, 2015
Do the math!

Apple math with AI…

Fail school math? Apple Math with AI is here for you ✖️➗➕➖

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
Notes app needs to support Optimize Storage for larger notes. I once relied on Scan Document feature on Notes and it quickly gobbled up gigabytes of storage space. So I had to painfully move them out into Photos app, which does support Optimize Storage.

neuropsychguy

macrumors 68020
Sep 29, 2008
Hopefully Apple fixes the battery drain when using an Apple Pencil in Notes. Maybe this is only specific to the M1 iPad Air, but if I use handwriting, my battery can die in about 90 minutes. In OneNote, my battery lasts for hours.

Reactions: parameter

MonkeySpank158

macrumors member
Feb 11, 2022
Notes app needs to support Optimize Storage for larger notes. I once relied on Scan Document feature on Notes and it quickly gobbled up gigabytes of storage space. So I had to painfully move them out into Photos app, which does support Optimize Storage.

I used to do this in Notes, but there is a better way. Swipe down from the middle on your Home Screen, search for 'Scan Documents' and you can use that exact scanner, but then you are able to save it as a file (which can be saved locally or in iCloud).

Bigkool2inSC

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2023
Greenville, SC
i wish the search magnifying icon was not buried under the 3 dots.

And even after I unlock a document, the main home page search will not find keywords in a document that can be locked.

You have to actually be in the document that is lockable before the search finds the key word.

Reactions: Blue Nova

Love-hate 🍏 relationship

macrumors 68040
Sep 19, 2021
Sweet

Apple notes is hella good honestly . Much better than this google keep crap

If i weren't an Android user , I'd use it. For now I settled on upnote which is even better than apple notes imo

It's crazy that even in 2024 , there is no android apps for actual decent work

-no note-taking app
-no health/journal
-no reminders app
-no keynote
-no video editor
-no numbers
-no pages (although there is google docs)
-no freeform
-no shortcuts
-no SDK/API for document scanning, pdf editing and stuff like that

Android is sadly really bad and I don't think it'll ever change....and it's a pity

Nclaire44

macrumors newbie
Jul 29, 2023
A very useful AI feature for Notes in relation to voice memos would be the ability to record a meeting and create a text transcript. Even better: recognize the different voices and write who said what in the transcript.
+ option to have the full transcript or a summary.

oldwatery

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2003
Maui
Well that must have taken a huge effort to integrate math symbols. Maybe I’m missing something here…..along with an iPad calculator and battery health meter. Pathetic!

Strebor

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2022
I'd like more table support like to be able to:
- place images or files in table cells
- place tables in table cells
- use formats like Heading / Monostyled in table cells
- be able to selectively show images or PDFs as a File
Yes!

Add identical formatting between Email and Notes would be great, so you can copy/paste Back and forth. Now line breaks, bullet lists and link formatting is completely different.

Also would be nice if notes stopped changing " into “

tywebb13

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2012
Hope the math is LaTeX and not some wysiwyg equation editor. Such editors are hopelessly inefficient compared to LaTeX as anyone who tried to put math in old versions of Word would know. Microsoft have updated their apps and modern versions of them now support LaTeX.

Reactions: tubular

Blue Nova

macrumors member
Jun 27, 2021
A very useful AI feature for Notes in relation to voice memos would be the ability to record a meeting and create a text transcript. Even better: recognize the different voices and write who said what in the transcript.
Great idea, but I’m sure the voice memo will transcribe voice memos. Notes is the best App Apple has for everyday use.
I wish we are able to collapse the arrow to pinned notes on Desktop Notes as well.
Also, being able to count lines in Notes, I have compiled a list of movies I have been watching since COVID, almost, 950 movies so far, but have to copy them and take to Word to get the count.

txscott

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2012
Most important thing Apple could add:

One click ability to capture a copy of a web page like the one in Evernote. It is insufficient to embed a link as the web page may go away or change. It's the only Evernote feature I miss.

txscott

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2012
None for me thanks. Unless it is a legal proceeding I would never attend a meeting that is being recorded. Nope, nope, nope.

Will Co

macrumors 6502
Feb 21, 2021
United Kingdom
Oh heavens yes. I'd love to be able to dictate my thoughts into a Notes page whilst driving. Not just a recording of the audio, but a transcript of the entire "brain dump". Yes, there would be errors and typos in the transcript, but I'd be able to quickly tidy up the mistakes at the end of the journey whilst the context of the information was still fresh.

Edit: Yes, I know there are apps that can do this. But it really should be part of the Notes functionality, with on-device transcribing for privacy and security.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.