Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PsykX

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2006
They're always like 3-5 years behind 3rd-party solutions (Draft, Notion, etc.), but just for the sake of simplicity, it's still my go-to app for taking notes...

Reactions: xmach

antiprotest

macrumors 601
Apr 19, 2010
With every major improvement, waiting only 12 months between each update, I am very happy Apple is slowly catching up to where many notes app were 10-15 years ago. A good day to be an Apple user.

diego.caraballo

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2013
I hope for the possibility of add/subtract numbers in a table in Notes.
A simpler/smaller version of Excel.

Jason2000

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2019
Planet Earth
Oh heavens yes. I'd love to be able to dictate my thoughts into a Notes page whilst driving. Not just a recording of the audio, but a transcript of the entire "brain dump". Yes, there would be errors and typos in the transcript, but I'd be able to quickly tidy up the mistakes at the end of the journey whilst the context of the information was still fresh.

Edit: Yes, I know there are apps that can do this. But it really should be part of the Notes functionality, with on-device transcribing for privacy and security.
Google's Pixel phones comes with a Recorder app that does this and the transcription is quite impressive. When I had a Pixel I used it a few times for meetings and the transcription was about 99% accurate. It even breaks down different speakers so if you are recording a meeting or something it would separate each speaker. So yes it would be awesome if Apple added accurate transcribing of voice recordings.

Reactions: Will Co and xmach

outlawarth

macrumors 6502a
Mar 20, 2011
Yawn. Used to scour these forums with excitement reading about cool new features Apple was working on. Nowdays it's just the same boring miniscule things 99% of population will not ever bother to use.

Realityck

macrumors G4
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA
First, the report claims that iOS 18 will allow iPhone users to record voice memos directly within the Notes app, and these recordings could then be embedded in notes.
Second, the report claims that the Notes app will likely gain support for displaying mathematical notation on iOS 18, meaning that users would be able to add more types of mathematical equations to notes. This feature will allegedly have some kind of integration with the Calculator app, but the exact implementation is unclear.
The report also says macOS 15 will feature a redesigned Calculator app.
It would be interesting if this was an example of voice recognition AI recording notes to a revised calculator process that could handle word problems turned into math. :cool:

txscott

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2012
If the level of trust in your organization/team is such that you find it necessary to record and transcribe meetings, then it has a level of toxicity that is harmful to your health and wellbeing. Get out now.

If you are recording and transcribing meetings to provide gotchas to use against your colleagues, then you are part of the problem.

Using transcription to record your own thoughts is fine, but I cannot think of a benign, team building/trust building reason to record and transcribe a meeting.

Shifts

macrumors regular
Oct 3, 2019
If the level of trust in your organization/team is such that you find it necessary to record and transcribe meetings, then it has a level of toxicity that is harmful to your health and wellbeing. Get out now.

If you are recording and transcribing meetings to provide gotchas to use against your colleagues, then you are part of the problem.

Using transcription to record your own thoughts is fine, but I cannot think of a benign, team building/trust building reason to record and transcribe a meeting.

Eh, how about the most logical use case of not having to take notes in the meeting, to provide a better summary afterwards?

Reactions: murrayp

Shifts

macrumors regular
Oct 3, 2019
Others said this already in the thread, but for me the use case of adding voice memos (have never felt the need of doing any, when would I listen back to them?) to Notes would not be anything I would ever use – unless it comes with a transcript function. Then I think I would be all over it. Fingers crossed.

Captain Nougat

macrumors member
Dec 26, 2008
Orange County, CA
Others said this already in the thread, but for me the use case of adding voice memos (have never felt the need of doing any, when would I listen back to them?) to Notes would not be anything I would ever use – unless it comes with a transcript function. Then I think I would be all over it. Fingers crossed.
This would be interesting and they can pretend it's using AI features. The podcast app does this so maybe they can easily port it over to the Voice Memos. Easier to search through transcribed voice memos.

I switch between using Bear and Notes. More recently decided to stick with Notes as it's free, but I adore how well designed Bear is. Typography is nicer and I like using Markdown to make them portable if I want to export.

maxoakland

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2021
I don’t trust Apple to redesign any app right now. Look at the mess they made of System Preferences. Are they going to add a sidebar?

Also kinda funny they’re redesigning the calculator for Mac but there still isn’t a calculator for iOS. They should make one with a floating window style like the keyboard

Shifts

macrumors regular
Oct 3, 2019
This would be interesting and they can pretend it's using AI features. The podcast app does this so maybe they can easily port it over to the Voice Memos. Easier to search through transcribed voice memos.

I switch between using Bear and Notes. More recently decided to stick with Notes as it's free, but I adore how well designed Bear is. Typography is nicer and I like using Markdown to make them portable if I want to export.

Notes is my main notes taking app (and probably my most used app across all my devices), but I hear you on Bear and I hear you on markdown. Would love to see proper support for markdown added to Notes.

Bear seems fantastic, but am really trying to stay away from subscriptions. If there was a one time purchase offer with Bear, I would like to try it out properly.

Realityck

macrumors G4
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA
I don’t trust Apple to redesign any app right now. Look at the mess they made of System Preferences. Are they going to add a sidebar?

Also kinda funny they’re redesigning the calculator for Mac but there still isn’t a calculator for iOS. They should make one with a floating window style like the keyboard
IOS always had a calculator, even a scientific mode, it's iPadOS that doesn't come with calculator app. I would suggest pCalc Lite (free) if don't have a good one yet on your iPad.
Before the first iPad in 2010, Apple's development team did have an iPad calculator ready to go, but it was just a scaled-up version of the iPhone app. Steve Jobs caught wind of it and quickly nixed it, and there wasn't enough time to design an iPad-optimized calculator before the iPad hit shelves.
Most don't know about Spotlight being used as a calculator also via scripting, and its along that thought that I think this iOS 18 article and mention of Mac 15 calculator is based on. :)

see

your-ipad-has-hidden-built-calculator-youre-not-using-heres-unlock.w1456.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: outlawarth

ignatius345

macrumors 604
Aug 20, 2015
Yawn. Used to scour these forums with excitement reading about cool new features Apple was working on. Nowdays it's just the same boring miniscule things 99% of population will not ever bother to use.
You think most iPhone users don't use the Notes app?? 😂

Realityck

macrumors G4
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA
Can we get any more boring news than this…
Yes both Sunday and Monday this week were a lot worse news wise, hardly anything those two days recently.
The discussion of possible iOS 18 Voice Notes and Math notes in that article is a lot more informative. ;)
Given the established presence of in-app audio recording and mathematical annotation in Microsoft's OneNote, and taking into account the popularity of the app, it would only make sense for Apple to try to build a capable rival in the form of its own Notes application.

hank moody

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2015
Finally a new calculator app

I hope for the possibility of add/subtract numbers in a table in Notes.
A simpler/smaller version of Excel.

It will be like Calca:

Mity

macrumors 6502a
Nov 1, 2014
It would be great to have Notes for the AppleWatch. I hate that I have to download OneNote to store my workouts and other info there just to sync with my AW.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.