Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GenericUsernameAboutiOS17

macrumors newbie
Apr 23, 2024

iOS 18 will feature a revamped Home Screen that is "more customizable," according to Bloomberg's Mark Gurman. He revealed this information in his Power On newsletter today, but he did not provide any specific details.

Apple will announce iOS 18 at its annual developers conference WWDC in June. Other features and changes rumored for the software update include new generative AI functionality for Siri and multiple apps, RCS support in the Messages app for improved messaging between iPhones and Android devices, design changes, and more.

With iOS 18, Gurman believes Apple will focus on new "AI tools that help manage your daily life" more than "ChatGPT-like generative AI features."

Gurman reiterated that at least some Apple employees believe that iOS 18 will be the biggest software update in the iPhone's history.

For more details about the update, check out our iOS 18 roundup and latest rumor recap.

Article Link: iOS 18 Rumored to Feature 'More Customizable' Home Screen
Knowing Apple, The home screen layout manager thing is probably going to stay the same. I don't really believe Apple would add the ability to put icons wherever the user wants (though I might be wrong) unless the EU made them. The EU is the only country forcing Apple to actually make changes to iPhone and iOS, Since that's how we got USB C on iPhone, side loading, and other changes.

Tagbert

macrumors 603
Jun 22, 2011
Seattle
Knowing Apple, The home screen layout manager thing is probably going to stay the same. I don't really believe Apple would add the ability to put icons wherever the user wants (though I might be wrong) unless the EU made them. The EU is the only country forcing Apple to actually make changes to iPhone and iOS, Since that's how we got USB C on iPhone, side loading, and other changes.
If they get around to doing it, I could see them giving more control on placement. I don’t know if it would be literally “wherever the user wants” but they would still likely have a snap grid, but let us put icons at any place on the grid.

This doesn’t seem like something that the EU would weigh in on. 😆

GenericUsernameAboutiOS17

macrumors newbie
Apr 23, 2024
If they get around to doing it, I could see them giving more control on placement. I don’t know if it would be literally “wherever the user wants” but they would still likely have a snap grid, but let us put icons at any place on the grid.

This doesn’t seem like something that the EU would weigh in on. 😆
They most likely would use a snap grid If Apple decided to do that, but still I really don't think Apple are the type of people to do that when it took a whole government just to get them to adopt USB C. Then again I might be wrong so I guess I'll have to tune into WWDC24 to see if Apple actually does do the snap grid placement thing. (I most likely won't use it since I'm fine with my home screen layout)

mky.p_

macrumors newbie
Apr 25, 2024
San Diego, CA
I really don’t care what Apple does with iOS 18 so long as they update the auto-correct and predictive text features on the keyboard. Both are severely lacking in terms of reliability, functionality, accuracy, and overall performance over even years old Android software and that’s completely unacceptable for the biggest tech giant in the industry. How can Apple expect users to fully trust all these new AI features when basic keyboard functions like auto-correct and predictably are still so inferior? Right now, in 2024, consumers can actually have a less frustrating and better overall experience using the stock keyboard on a sub-$100 Android device than they would on the latest $1,000+ Pro model iPhone. That’s just ridiculous and Apple really needs their next generation keyboard technology to surpass or at least get on par with the competition. Also the “App Library” is an unorganized cluster-**** of all your apps that’s really more of a pain in the ass than helpful so I’d like to see Apple overhaul that experience as well.

Tagbert

macrumors 603
Jun 22, 2011
Seattle
I really don’t care what Apple does with iOS 18 so long as they update the auto-correct and predictive text features on the keyboard. Both are severely lacking in terms of reliability, functionality, accuracy, and overall performance over even years old Android software and that’s completely unacceptable for the biggest tech giant in the industry. How can Apple expect users to fully trust all these new AI features when basic keyboard functions like auto-correct and predictably are still so inferior? Right now, in 2024, consumers can actually have a less frustrating and better overall experience using the stock keyboard on a sub-$100 Android device than they would on the latest $1,000+ Pro model iPhone. That’s just ridiculous and Apple really needs their next generation keyboard technology to surpass or at least get on par with the competition. Also the “App Library” is an unorganized cluster-**** of all your apps that’s really more of a pain in the ass than helpful so I’d like to see Apple overhaul that experience as well.
For me, iOS 17 does a much better job providing predictive text options that match what I would want. Big improvement over 16. Perhaps there might be UI differences that could improve the use of it, but the actual text offered is a big step up.

Are there specific features that you would like to see in this that you do get in Android. “Inferior” is a little vague.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.