Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

applefan8254

macrumors member
Apr 16, 2023
The “put anywhere” should never the the default. An option? Maybe. Default? No. the doc mode layout is something that helps the user. If they want to make “put anywhere” an option, maybe. But i think, they could innovate by offering updates or options on the doc mode layout itself. Its good that icons flow to a certain location. That makes organization *more easy*. If they want to add an option to change *where the icons flow to* or “icon flow” ‘’’

Icon flow or doc mode layout

Left to right, top to bottom
Right to left, top to bottom (they already have this for locations in the world where languages flow this way)

They could also add

“Right to left, *bottom to top*” to appease users who want better reachability. It could also be called “reverse doc mode” or something like that

In addition to the “no doc mode” where users could put the icons anywhere. But just make it an *option only*, and not “the new way”

Xpost: the doc mode layout (auto-aligned left to right top to bottom) of app icons is a good thing though. without it, you have icons floating around randomly all over the place. the doc mode layout adds a good amount of organization, a "center of gravity", if you will, that allows users to place "new or important" icons in a certain place (the top left). if they want to make this new thing (freely floating icons) an *option*, that could be ok, but I think it should be just that - an option. to *remove* the existing "doc mode layout" that's there, that actually takes away functionality, because, as it stands, the existing setup creates a nice simple organized look, where, if you want to call attention to something, you know where to put it: the top left. what they could do, is, ..it seems like people maybe want a "reverse doc mode", so that, in addition to the existing doc mode (left to right, top to bottom), they could add the ability to choose a "reverse doc mode layout" where apps would auto-align right to left, bottom to top. but to just have the sort of stock android layout, where it's just like, throwing icons all over the place kind of randomly, i don't see how that really helps. if people want it, make it an option, but don't change the existing default. if anything, add an *option* to change the size of the grid so that users can add more icons, and more widgets in the same amount of space.

kognos

macrumors regular
Aug 17, 2013
Oregon
I know this is a wild concept and all, but maybe, just maybe, the icons don't have to be force pulled to the top-left?

That kind of customization would, you know, be pretty cool, given that our thumbs cant reach the top.

I know IOS has that nifty ability to shift the screen down, but cmon....

(It would be rude to say Android has had this for years, but I genuinely think this is not done in IOS for precisely that reason, but again, cmon... this is a little old)

hagar

macrumors 68000
Jan 19, 2008
Just let us hide the home bar that ruins the display for me, I don’t need a line
If there is one thing, only one thing they will never ever do, it’s this. The dock is iconic for macOS, iPadOS and iOS. They would switch over their Mac’s to Windows before removing the dock. And they’re right.

Reactions: steve09090

Lefteous

macrumors regular
Aug 30, 2007
The solution on iPhones concerning app arrangement was never really good. It always worked like a long list divided into pages. Reordering or removal of apps moved buttons to other positions or even pages which simply doesn't support a spatial memory and killed the concept of placing apps belonging to a certain category to a page.

Fandroid killer

macrumors regular
Aug 23, 2017
AI managing my life? Sounds like quite dystopian stuff. I already find it creepy if AI influences the decisions of people for example by suggesting a restaurant or the "best" route to your destination.
This is marketing speak for improved software lol we are no where even close to real AI and won't be for probably another 100 years

steve09090

macrumors 68020
Aug 12, 2008
I want them to bring back some skeuomorphism, flat interface is just boring and ugly.
I think that’s the problem. Half want it half don’t. I like the simple and clean look and don’t want notes taken up with fake binders. Whilst you may find the current aesthetic boring and ugly, I find the old skeuomorphic designs fake and trying to be something it’s not. Also ugly.

But were a broad group with different tastes. I appreciate we look at these things differently

Reactions: Tagbert

jonnysods

macrumors G3
Sep 20, 2006
There & Back Again
I feel sorry for the Apple devs that keep having to come out with new iOS versions each year. Must be hard to come up with feature bumps and call it a major upgrade. I don't think people will tolerate it, and I know that Apple use the OS updates to sell devices, but going back to the 18-24 month OS cycle could actually improve existing features and bugs, and then come out with something compelling.

xxr

macrumors member
Oct 14, 2020
Imagine taking 16 years to copy a competitor. That's the legal age for drinking beer & sex in much of Europe. Just out of sheer dignity, you wouldn't even bother.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.