Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nando2323

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 15, 2007
Ok, So I have my iPad jailbroken on os 3 now if I go to 4.2 beta do I need to do anything special because I have the swap file hack installed. Or is it just going to get rid of it once I go to 4.2 beta? Just wondering if I have to manually turn off the hack before going to 4.2 beta basically. I do notice with the iPhone like if you do MMI it keeps even after you un-jailbreak it.

maturola

macrumors 68040
Oct 29, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Ok, So I have my iPad jailbroken on os 3 now if I go to 4.2 beta do I need to do anything special because I have the swap file hack installed. Or is it just going to get rid of it once I go to 4.2 beta? Just wondering if I have to manually turn off the hack before going to 4.2 beta basically. I do notice with the iPhone like if you do MMI it keeps even after you un-jailbreak it.

IF you install 4.2 beta you will lose the jailbreake, some items are stored on the user section of the files system and that is why the come back when you do a restore, if you want to get rid of all, you need to setup your ipad as a "new" iPad (don't restore from backup).

If you want to keep your jailbrake, do not update

Nipz

macrumors 65816
Nov 1, 2006
UK
IF you install 4.2 beta you will lose the jailbreake, some items are stored on the user section of the files system and that is why the come back when you do a restore, if you want to get rid of all, you need to setup your ipad as a "new" iPad (don't restore from backup).

If you want to keep your jailbrake, do not update

Do you not need to be a developer though?

tekchic

macrumors 68020
Apr 19, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
To install the 4.2 beta, yes, you do need to be enrolled in the Apple Developer Program which costs $99 a year.

"Registration" in the program is free. "Enrollment" (access to the beta/ GM /OS's/putting code on your device, etc) costs $99.

Nipz

macrumors 65816
Nov 1, 2006
UK
To install the 4.2 beta, yes, you do need to be enrolled in the Apple Developer Program which costs $99 a year.

"Registration" in the program is free. "Enrollment" (access to the beta/ GM /OS's/putting code on your device, etc) costs $99.

Can i sign up as a developer, pay my fee and get the betas? or is there more to it?

maturola

macrumors 68040
Oct 29, 2007
Atlanta, GA

You can also have a Developer register your device as developer platform, and get a developer cert

nando2323

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 15, 2007
I do have a dev account just wondering because I did the virtual memory hack if that would be still in there if when I go to 4.2 beta later today.

TangoDown

macrumors regular
Jul 21, 2010
UK
I do have a dev account just wondering because I did the virtual memory hack if that would be still in there if when I go to 4.2 beta later today.

I'd say you'd overwrite the system files with the beta OS.
Wouldn't you be wanting to start clean from scratch anyway just to be on the safe side?
Do you need any help on your platform?;):D

maturola

macrumors 68040
Oct 29, 2007
Atlanta, GA

The Virtual memory hack does not live on the User side of the file system, it live on root so it will be overwritten if you upgrade and you won't be able to re-added until a JB is release

nando2323

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 15, 2007
The Virtual memory hack does not live on the User side of the file system, it live on root so it will be overwritten if you upgrade and you won't be able to re-added until a JB is release

Cool. I just want it to be gone when I do upgrade that's all. All I jailbroke my iPad for was multitasking anyhow and the VM was just a bonus. But now that I will have multitasking I don't need the JB anymore on my iPad. Now my iPhone that's a whole different story.

maturola

macrumors 68040
Oct 29, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Cool. I just want it to be gone when I do upgrade that's all. All I jailbroke my iPad for was multitasking anyhow and the VM was just a bonus. But now that I will have multitasking I don't need the JB anymore on my iPad. Now my iPhone that's a whole different story.

Backgrounder multitasking is way different to stock multitasking... Only a few Apps can Actually multitask. IMO backgrounder is a must.

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
Backgrounder multitasking is way different to stock multitasking... Only a few Apps can Actually multitask. IMO backgrounder is a must.
I think it depends on what you want to multitask. For my needs/wants, I find that Apple's implementation multitasks everything I'd want multitasked anyway and it sips the battery to boot.

Formul

macrumors member
Jan 29, 2010
Czech Republic
damn i want the 4.2 so much :( heads-up for everyone, dont try the torrent 4.2 restore if you are not developer .. it will get you stuck and in need to restore back ... just to spare you of your 10 minutes of restoring :apple:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.