Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maturola

macrumors 68040
Oct 29, 2007
Atlanta, GA
No, if you can find the ipsw you can install it. It verifies nothing.

There are already several thread of people that tried it and can't install it without a dev id. That have been the case for every Beta release out there, without a dev cert you can't install beta release. I haven't personally install or download this current beta, so maybe Apple change its mind but I doubt it.

Manakin

macrumors newbie
Sep 16, 2010
Have to be a developer

You have to be a developer and have the UDID registered even if you have the ipsw, or it will not complete. Trust me, just did this and had to put it into restore mode and restore 3.2.2.

HiFiGuy528

macrumors 68000
Jul 24, 2008
Are talking about Apple verifing for PAID dev ID or just signed up? If you already signed up but not paid, you don't have access to the beta files. BUT if you have access to the files (torrents), it will allow you to use provided that you enter your dev ID & PW right? Or does it actually check for payment?

PirateP

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2010
Naboo Land
Apparently the dude who keeps saying it doesn't verify is using iTunes 9. It definitely DOES verify your UDID is registered in iTunes 10, so be careful out there.

maturola

macrumors 68040
Oct 29, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Are talking about Apple verifing for PAID dev ID or just signed up? If you already signed up but not paid, you don't have access to the beta files. BUT if you have access to the files (torrents), it will allow you to use provided that you enter your dev ID & PW right? Or does it actually check for payment?

yes, it check for what you call Payment, its not really payment., it is a developer certificates (with your name, company name, etc, etc), and you can only get a developers cert sign by you and Apple if you are paid developer.

If you don't have access to the beta, then you cannot "Officially" install it.

spamdumpster

macrumors 6502a
Jan 22, 2008
So my UDID is supposedly registered, but iTunes will not let me activate, stating that my device is not registered as part of the program. Anyone experiencing the same issue?

elie195

macrumors newbie
Sep 16, 2009
So my UDID is supposedly registered, but iTunes will not let me activate, stating that my device is not registered as part of the program. Anyone experiencing the same issue?

Yup, supposedly I have my UDID registered but I'm getting the same error. Don't know if my UDID isn't really registered or if something else is going on.

bafrad

macrumors newbie
Jul 16, 2010
I've given up, tried to help a few others get it to work but no dice. Some people it has worked for others not and I can't get the specifics of the systems that do but my own.

I have a dev id but I have not paid anything and have not given out my uid or whatever. Dont know why it just went through the verification part on my installation.

shadowbird423

macrumors 6502
Sep 8, 2009
Chapel Hill
yes, it check for what you call Payment, its not really payment., it is a developer certificates (with your name, company name, etc, etc), and you can only get a developers cert sign by you and Apple if you are paid developer.

If you don't have access to the beta, then you cannot "Officially" install it.

Apparently, telling iTunes to update your iPad (and directing it to the 4.2 Beta) installs it without asking for any dev account info after the installation finishes.

I cant confirm this though (Im staying on 3.2.1 for a lot of jailbreak stuff, including this VM hack).

George Knighton

macrumors 65816
Oct 13, 2010
I've given up, tried to help a few others get it to work but no dice. Some people it has worked for others not and I can't get the specifics of the systems that do but my own.

I have a dev id but I have not paid anything and have not given out my uid or whatever. Dont know why it just went through the verification part on my installation.

I tried iOS 4.2 Beta 2 on my iPad and it caused a world of trouble.

It's hard to get the beta installed, and it's even harder to get back to 3.2.2 or anything else when you need to do it. The chance of getting stuck in DFU at some point, with an annoyingly long period of being unable to get out of it using all conventional means, is greater than many of us would want to take.

I have a normal, great running iPad 3G on 3.2.2 now, but it was two days getting it back. It took TWO DAYS to get it back. :) And, yes, I had my hashes stored on Cydia and I still couldn't get it back.

Nobody ever figured out how I got it back using the exact same procedure that failed over a two day period.

I'm just one dumb old man, not any kind of expert iOS hacker, but my sincere counsel is for the great majority of us to wait until iOS 4.2 is officially released, and then use Shatter to jailbreak it if you need something more than 4.2 offers you.

George Knighton

macrumors 65816
Oct 13, 2010
I think possibly those who claim it just worked are still running iTunes 9... might be worth a shot
I used iTunes 10 when I got mine to work. Are you guys failing trying to RESTORE or trying to UPDATE?

:)

But I still say that the great majority of us should not use the beta. I'm telling you...if you get stuck with this, it's stuck in an unconventional way and you might not be able to get your iPad back right away.

There also seems to be a difference in behaviour between the 3G and WiFi models, if you believe the anecdotal evidence at other sites.

Just don't do it if you're not an expert, or you haven't carefully researched. The number of people who will be able and willing to help you get your iPad back is a lot lower than you think.

shadowbird423

macrumors 6502
Sep 8, 2009
Chapel Hill
I tried iOS 4.2 Beta 2 on my iPad and it caused a world of trouble.

It's hard to get the beta installed, and it's even harder to get back to 3.2.2 or anything else when you need to do it. The chance of getting stuck in DFU at some point, with an annoyingly long period of being unable to get out of it using all conventional means, is greater than many of us would want to take.

I have a normal, great running iPad 3G on 3.2.2 now, but it was two days getting it back. It took TWO DAYS to get it back. :) And, yes, I had my hashes stored on Cydia and I still couldn't get it back.

Nobody ever figured out how I got it back using the exact same procedure that failed over a two day period.

I'm just one dumb old man, not any kind of expert iOS hacker, but my sincere counsel is for the great majority of us to wait until iOS 4.2 is officially released, and then use Shatter to jailbreak it if you need something more than 4.2 offers you.

Did you use TinyUmbrella?
That program is made of solid gold.

dilgit

macrumors regular
Sep 24, 2010
I have ios 4.2 beta 3 installed on my ipad with itunes 10.1.0.10 beta. You need this version of itunes to install 4.2 beta 3. And remember!!! When you do the install with a downloaded ipsw file, click shift + update and not shift + restore!!!
BTW: I'm not a developer and you don't have to be! Just find the ipsw file and the itunes 10.1 beta and you're ready to go. Good luck. ios 4.2 works great!

87vert

macrumors 6502
Oct 7, 2008
Pittsburgh, PA
I have ios 4.2 beta 3 installed on my ipad with itunes 10.1.0.10 beta. You need this version of itunes to install 4.2 beta 3. And remember!!! When you do the install with a downloaded ipsw file, click shift + update and not shift + restore!!!
BTW: I'm not a developer and you don't have to be! Just find the ipsw file and the itunes 10.1 beta and you're ready to go. Good luck. ios 4.2 works great!

you don't need iTunes beta ios4.2 beta 3 installed fine for me without it.

Red-red

macrumors 6502
Jul 17, 2007
Just so Mac users know, it's the option key not shift.

Mines updating now. Everything "seems" to be fine. If it isn't I'll edit this post.

Updated fine for the most part but it wouldn't sync with itunes after, although all my apps were still on it. So new music until itunes 10.1.... Perhaps I'll just download the better.

Seems very snappy, no slow down... Very happy.

steezy1337

macrumors 6502
Dec 29, 2008
Carlisle, UK
just out of interest, if Apple can change the orientation lock into a mute switch, could the process be undone? maybe something via jailbreaking?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.