Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Crackbone

macrumors regular
Mar 22, 2010
just out of interest, if Apple can change the orientation lock into a mute switch, could the process be undone? maybe something via jailbreaking?

I'm sure it probably good, and if enough interest probably will be at some point. However, im failing to see the issue of bringing up the multitasking bar, scrolling left and locking there.

Sketh

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2007
I'm sure it probably good, and if enough interest probably will be at some point. However, im failing to see the issue of bringing up the multitasking bar, scrolling left and locking there.

I'd say the same to you about bringing up the multitasking bar, scrolling to the left and muting the iPad. I find it much more convenient to be able to lock the orientation with the physical switch, especially while in bed, I have to strain my neck to look at it before I get to the lock button now. I'm American, I don't want to work that hard.

dynalmadman

macrumors regular
May 1, 2010
Vegas, baby!
Sorry for my ignorance here, but I just installed the 4.2 and everything works great. Except my browsers. I have both Atomic and Perfect and I notice that when I try to multitask them, they restart when I go back to them. So I am guessing that they have to be updated by the authors to take advantage of keeping the state between uses?

If I rejailbreak and get the multitasking software back, will they then stay in memory when I multitask, even with the new 4.2 software?

Thanks, and again, sorry for my ignorance.

Michael

maturola

macrumors 68040
Oct 29, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Sorry for my ignorance here, but I just installed the 4.2 and everything works great. Except my browsers. I have both Atomic and Perfect and I notice that when I try to multitask them, they restart when I go back to them. So I am guessing that they have to be updated by the authors to take advantage of keeping the state between uses?

If I rejailbreak and get the multitasking software back, will they then stay in memory when I multitask, even with the new 4.2 software?

Thanks, and again, sorry for my ignorance.

Michael

That is why it is a "developers" release, they need to update their app to work in the new firmware, that is why Apple release the Firmware to them "first". That is why if you are NOT a developer should not be running this firmware on your day to day device. You will find that many app will have issue until they are updated for 4.2 (atomic hasn't been update yet, i can't speak for the others)

atr

macrumors regular
Dec 16, 2009
I updated to iOS 4.2GM yesterday and everything works great as far as I can tell. And I really like it - multitasking, folders, even the changed mute button. Absolutely no problems with WiFi, like has happened with some, and 3G works fine.

I had my iPad jailbroken since the day the jailbreak first came out, I don't yet know if I'm going to miss it for sure or not, but I suspect I will sooner or later. Has anyone had success with using the latest redsn0w to jailbreak an iPad running 4.2GM?

I know that Cydia isn't ready for it yet but I'm guessing it will be in a few days, and yes - I know that the devs will have to update all their apps for 4.2, and I can wait.. I'm just curious.

Saberon

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2008

Michael

That is correct

shadowbird423

macrumors 6502
Sep 8, 2009
Chapel Hill
I updated to iOS 4.2GM yesterday and everything works great as far as I can tell. And I really like it - multitasking, folders, even the changed mute button. Absolutely no problems with WiFi, like has happened with some, and 3G works fine.

I had my iPad jailbroken since the day the jailbreak first came out, I don't yet know if I'm going to miss it for sure or not, but I suspect I will sooner or later. Has anyone had success with using the latest redsn0w to jailbreak an iPad running 4.2GM?

I know that Cydia isn't ready for it yet but I'm guessing it will be in a few days, and yes - I know that the devs will have to update all their apps for 4.2, and I can wait.. I'm just curious.

It isn't possible. I've wondered as well. All I need from Jailbreak land is Sbsettings, Backgrounder and Proswitcher and I'll be set..

djinn

macrumors 68000
Oct 4, 2003
I installed 4.2 GM and my ipad became very slow. The network was really bad as well. I tried doing a reset but it didn't resolve the slowness. I'm loading 3.2.2 unless someone has any suggestions.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.