Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
Not a feat when you force people to downgrade to iOS 7 to perform a factory restore.

B4U

macrumors 68040
Oct 11, 2012
Undisclosed location
Both my parents still have the 4S while they wait for the 6. I do agree that at launch 7.0 ran horribly, but after the 7.1 update I felt it was running pretty well. Even on my 5S 7.1 made it felt a lot faster, glad they sped up the animations etc.
Personally I like the design of iOS 7, but id like to see continued improvement and polish. Pretty excited for iOS 8 and Yosemite.

She is on the latest one of 7.1 something. It made absolutely no difference.

The look of iOS7, to each and their own...it looks fugly like a drawing homework from a 5 year old.

I will definitely not get Yoshemite if it looks like that crap. Time to download Mavericks on a flash drive...

Cancelled
Jul 3, 2013
She is on the latest one of 7.1 something. It made absolutely no difference.

The look of iOS7, to each and their own...it looks fugly like a drawing homework from a 5 year old.

I will definitely not get Yoshemite if it looks like that crap. Time to download Mavericks on a flash drive...

I think it's in a transition period. from a 00's skueomorphism style to a cleaner, simpler style in the 10's. I'd like to see maybe a bit more depth to the design but I like it's plain simple style even although I wouldn't say it's quite there yet. Maybe a little bright and garish, just needs toned down a little and a bit more depth added.

Yosemite looks great I think, especially for those like me on Retina displays, they really nailed it but that's just my opinion. Can't wait to try out calling on it.

sinsin07

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2009
Nope, when Steve sold me this iPad,
Here's the first problem. You shouldn't have allowed Steve to sell you an iPad.
If you continue to allow others to sell you on something without due diligence, you're destined to collect allot of obsolete tech.
Nope there was no indication that I was to get exactly 1 iOS upgrade on this phenomenal device hat does everything so much better than a netbook:
The device still does what your video link below references, correct?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBhYxj2SvRI

No amount of research on my side would have made this fact evident, because it is only hindsight that allows you to lay the blame on me :cool:, FANBOY
You got exactly what was I described in the video. The video made no mention of how many future updates your device would receive.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Nope, when Steve sold me this iPad, there was no indication that I was to get exactly 1 iOS upgrade on this phenomenal device hat does everything so much better than a netbook:

No amount of research on my side would have made this fact evident, because it is only hindsight that allows you to lay the blame on me :cool:, FANBOY
I believe it got two since it came with iOS 3 originally as I recall. That said, it's first generation device of a brand new product, which plays a role, and that should always be taken into account by anyone going for it.

That said, while a number of apps I already had on my iPad stopped getting updates pretty much all of them continue to function fine. Getting new apps can be a bit tricky at times, but it's not like all apps are now iOS 6 or 7 and above--a lot of them are, while a lot of them aren't. The original iPad still does a lot of things that it was able to do when it launched, so it's clearly not something that it just trash, and actually pretty far from it, even if it's not something that can get various newer things.

----------

I'm glad they done this. Some people wouldn't upgrade because of the icons.

Get over yourself, they are bloody icons!
Whatever the reasoning of someone might be for upgrading or not upgrading, it's their own personal choice. How and/or why would any consumer be glad about a company forcing this or that on someone else when it has nothing to do with them? Makes no sense.

MattMJB0188

macrumors 68020
Dec 28, 2009
Guess I am in the 6%, as I REFUSE to put 7 on my iPad 3. I will NEVER EVER, EVER upgrade it. iOS 6 looked so much better... PERIOD.

B4U

macrumors 68040
Oct 11, 2012
Undisclosed location
I think it's in a transition period. from a 00's skueomorphism style to a cleaner, simpler style in the 10's. I'd like to see maybe a bit more depth to the design but I like it's plain simple style even although I wouldn't say it's quite there yet. Maybe a little bright and garish, just needs toned down a little and a bit more depth added.

Yosemite looks great I think, especially for those like me on Retina displays, they really nailed it but that's just my opinion. Can't wait to try out calling on it.

If I wanted my the UI of my devices to look like Windows' garbage, I would get those devices instead.:(

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011
My old iMac can run the latest OS X. iOS 7 support iPhone as old as 4s. Why do you have to upgrade your hardware?

My old iPhone 1 will not run iOS7. I am forced to upgrade or stick with the older iOS. (I chose to stay with the iPhone 1) That answer your question?

My old iMac (last white one ever made) can use at latest OS10.6. I am forced to upgrade or stick with the older iOS. (I did upgrade here actually) That answer your question?

BvizioN

macrumors 603
Mar 16, 2012
Manchester, UK
lol wow...
Try comparing the Nexus and other Android that phones that run pure Android. That don't require carriers to release 'their' versions. While the iPhone obviously will have more market share, the percentage will be way different.

Personally I am not using Nexus but Galaxy S5. While I do admit that there is many things I love about Android, there are just so many thing I don't and there is no chance is hell I will be using this phone after lager iPhone 6 comes out. Never seen so many gimmick/useless features packed in one phone.

----------

Forced upgrades do not equal adoption.

The excuse for the high iOS 7 adoption obviously is the supposed forced upgrade!! Wonder what sort of excuse some people will find for iOS 8 adoption now that they have the option do discard the upgrade!!!

blackcrayon

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2003
' iOS just got third party keyboard support, amongst other things.

Android *just* got a smooth frame rate UI, well from what I hear (it certainly has been claimed in the past but found to not actually be the case). Might be nice if the web browser could actually track along with my fingers on a quad core device, don't you think?

The chart was a bit of a joke, but in response it's pretty silly to ignore all of the many ways Android has been trying to play "catch up" to iOS as well. Android still can't view PDFs on par with the performance of an iPad 1 with iOS 3.

ZipZap

macrumors 603
Dec 14, 2007
The option to pass is always there but once they stop signing an OS you have to move up should anything go wrong. Adoption implies a choice. For many they don't get that choice. I don't see why ios 8 will be different. If it's like ios 7, I would not want to upgrade for at least a year.

Personally I am not using Nexus but Galaxy S5. While I do admit that there is many things I love about Android, there are just so many thing I don't and there is no chance is hell I will be using this phone after lager iPhone 6 comes out. Never seen so many gimmick/useless features packed in one phone.

----------

The excuse for the high iOS 7 adoption obviously is the supposed forced upgrade!! Wonder what sort of excuse some people will find for iOS 8 adoption now that they have the option do discard the upgrade!!!

Tubamajuba

macrumors 68020
Jun 8, 2011
here
Nope, when Steve sold me this iPad, there was no indication that I was to get exactly 1 iOS upgrade on this phenomenal device hat does everything so much better than a netbook:

There was also no indication that you would get more than one iOS upgrade. And yet you got two- iOS 4 and iOS 5.

Either that or Apple accidentally didn't renew the certificates for it then accidentally didn't provide a patch. There's no third way.

The fact is, the issue is fixed by updating to iOS 7, and you can choose to update or not. I understand that the update file takes a ton of space on your phone. If that bugs you, Android and Windows Phone have been getting better...

Last edited by a moderator:

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
There was also no indication that you would get more than one iOS upgrade. And yet you got two- iOS 4 and iOS 5.

The fact is, the issue is fixed by updating to iOS 7, and you can choose to update or not. I understand that the update file takes a ton of space on your phone. If that bugs you, Android and Windows Phone have been getting better...
To be fair, the issue isn't fixed by updating to iOS 7, it's just the issue doesn't exist in iOS 7. It's still there in iOS 6 and hasn't been fixed for phones that can upgrade to iOS 7, but it was in fact actually fixed in iOS 6 for other devices, the fix was just not made available to devices that can upgrade to iOS 7. There's a difference in all of that.

Tubamajuba

macrumors 68020
Jun 8, 2011
here
To be fair, the issue isn't fixed by updating to iOS 7, it's just the issue doesn't exist in iOS 7. It's still there in iOS 6 and hasn't been fixed for phones that can upgrade to iOS 7, but it was in fact actually fixed in iOS 6 for other devices, the fix was just not made available to devices that can upgrade to iOS 7. There's a difference in all of that.

There is indeed a difference, but I'm not sure that it matters. If the issue is fixed by upgrading to iOS 7, then it's an issue that needs no other fix. Some people may not like the looks of iOS 7, or the performance in the case of the iPhone 4, but Apple isn't going to turn system updates into a buffet- either you install all the available updates, or you install none of them. This makes it much easier for Apple to support and for developers to target. It's an example of putting the whole ecosystem above individual devices.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
There is indeed a difference, but I'm not sure that it matters. If the issue is fixed by upgrading to iOS 7, then it's an issue that needs no other fix. Some people may not like the looks of iOS 7, or the performance in the case of the iPhone 4, but Apple isn't going to turn system updates into a buffet- either you install all the available updates, or you install none of them. This makes it much easier for Apple to support and for developers to target. It's an example of putting the whole ecosystem above individual devices.
I understand what you are saying, but that doesn't necessarily mean it's the best thing for the consumers, even if that's how it is. It likely wouldn't really work out all that well in various other industries--imagine the horn in your car not working due to a manufacturer defect, and to fix it the manufacturer says they'll replace the whole inside of your car, including the color and the material of the seats, the shifter, etc.--your car still works the same and you can still do the same things and your horn works now, but it's not what you paid for and not really what you wanted necessarily as far as the inside goes, and all just to get the horn working again that simply failed at some point due to an issue that the manufacturer themselves introduced. Wouldn't really fly.

Tubamajuba

macrumors 68020
Jun 8, 2011
here
I understand what you are saying, but that doesn't necessarily mean it's the best thing for the consumers, even if that's how it is. It likely wouldn't really work out all that well in various other industries--imagine the horn in your car not working due to a manufacturer defect, and to fix it the manufacturer says they'll replace the whole inside of your car, including the color and the material of the seats, the shifter, etc.--your car still works the same and you can still do the same things and your horn works now, but it's not what you paid for and not really what you wanted necessarily as far as the inside goes, and all just to get the horn working again that simply failed at some point due to an issue that the manufacturer themselves introduced. Wouldn't really fly.

Fair analogy, but not quite the same thing. Apple would have to go out of their way to fork iOS 6 on iOS 7-compatible devices, whereas merely replacing the horn would be much simpler for the car manufacturer. There is no real reason why the car manufacturer would need to replace more than just the horn, while Apple has a good reason to not spend time on releasing another update for iOS- the fix is already available on a newer version. You could say that it would be as simple as taking the already released iOS 6.1.6 and making it available for devices that have not been updated to iOS 7, but it would have to be tailored and tested for each device just like any other version of iOS. Apple likely sees no need to go through that effort, and that mentality isn't going to change. The vast majority of customers are happy with iOS 7, and it's not worth spending time and effort to please a small minority that likely isn't going to be pleased no matter what Apple does.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.