Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Fair analogy, but not quite the same thing. Apple would have to go out of their way to fork iOS 6 on iOS 7-compatible devices, whereas merely replacing the horn would be much simpler for the car manufacturer. There is no real reason why the car manufacturer would need to replace more than just the horn, while Apple has a good reason to not spend time on releasing another update for iOS- the fix is already available on a newer version. You could say that it would be as simple as taking the already released iOS 6.1.6 and making it available for devices that have not been updated to iOS 7, but it would have to be tailored and tested for each device just like any other version of iOS. Apple likely sees no need to go through that effort, and that mentality isn't going to change. The vast majority of customers are happy with iOS 7, and it's not worth spending time and effort to please a small minority that likely isn't going to be pleased no matter what Apple does.
Sure, it would be some extra work for Apple, but that doesn't mean that it's not the right thing to do for consumers. Apple created the ecosystem and their own rules where most people follow along, but that doesn't mean it couldn't be better or that it's exactly mostly in consumer's interests. I agree that it wouldn't really be done and all that, but that doesn't necessarily make it all that right.

(If you think about it, for years Apple never allowed users to even do anything about the automatically downloaded updates onto their phones, until iOS 7.1 where they finally provided that option, interestingly enough it just happened to coincide with more uproar about it in relation to the iOS 7.0 update and even actual class action lawsuits being in the works in relation to it. So clearly the way Apple was going about it wasn't exactly the best/right way given that they did end up changing it finally, thankfully.)

Tubamajuba

macrumors 68020
Jun 8, 2011
here
Sure, it would be some extra work for Apple, but that doesn't mean that it's not the right thing to do for consumers. Apple created the ecosystem and their own rules where most people follow along, but that doesn't mean it couldn't be better or that it's exactly mostly in consumer's interests. I agree that it wouldn't really be done and all that, but that doesn't necessarily make it all that right.

(If you think about it, for years Apple never allowed users to even do anything about the automatically downloaded updates onto their phones, until iOS 7.1 where they finally provided that option, interestingly enough it just happened to coincide with more uproar about it in relation to the iOS 7.0 update and even actual class action lawsuits being in the works in relation to it. So clearly the way Apple was going about it wasn't exactly the best/right way given that they did end up changing it finally, thankfully.)

All of what you say are good points. I'm just approaching this from a different angle, I guess. iOS 7 and beyond are the future of iOS, and anybody clinging on to iOS 6 or below is simply delaying the inevitable. If you're not buying into the present and future of iOS, are iOS devices really going to meet your needs in the long run?

That said, I'm very glad Apple provided the ability to remove downloaded updates. There are many reasons why people would want to temporarily hold off on updating their phone, and could use the storage that a downloaded update occupies.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
All of what you say are good points. I'm just approaching this from a different angle, I guess. iOS 7 and beyond are the future of iOS, and anybody clinging on to iOS 6 or below is simply delaying the inevitable. If you're not buying into the present and future of iOS, are iOS devices really going to meet your needs in the long run?

That said, I'm very glad Apple provided the ability to remove downloaded updates. There are many reasons why people would want to temporarily hold off on updating their phone, and could use the storage that a downloaded update occupies.
And while I understand what you are saying, who cares if someone wants to stay on a version of an OS that works for them and one that they perhaps bought their phone with because they liked it and want to keep using as that's what they actually spent their money on. All the progress and other rhetoric doesn't change the basics of people being able to choose what they want to use and other people looking down on those people for their choices seems not only silly but even counter-productive and hypocritical even since they are essentially arguing against their very own best interests of being able to decide for themselves as consumers or people in general.

Tubamajuba

macrumors 68020
Jun 8, 2011
here
And while I understand what you are saying, who cares if someone wants to stay on a version of an OS that works for them and one that they perhaps bought their phone with because they liked it and want to keep using as that's what they actually spent their money on. All the progress and other rhetoric doesn't change the basics of people being able to choose what they want to use and other people looking down on those people for their choices seems not only silly but even counter-productive and hypocritical even since they are essentially arguing against their very own best interests of being able to decide for themselves as consumers or people in general.

You're right, it is someone's personal decision and right to not update. But by choosing not to update, sometimes they miss out on improvements that newer versions of the software might provide.

Regarding the ability to decide for ourselves as consumers, nobody is arguing against that. You have the choice to buy Apple products, and you have the choice to not buy them. If Apple's method of conducting business rubs someone the wrong way, they have the ability to stop supporting Apple by refusing to buy their products. Case in point, bigger screens. We wouldn't have 4 inch, and soon to be 4.7 inch, displays in the iPhone if people weren't buying larger Android phones in droves.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
You're right, it is someone's personal decision and right to not update. But by choosing not to update, sometimes they miss out on improvements that newer versions of the software might provide.

Regarding the ability to decide for ourselves as consumers, nobody is arguing against that. You have the choice to buy Apple products, and you have the choice to not buy them. If Apple's method of conducting business rubs someone the wrong way, they have the ability to stop supporting Apple by refusing to buy their products. Case in point, bigger screens. We wouldn't have 4 inch, and soon to be 4.7 inch, displays in the iPhone if people weren't buying larger Android phones in droves.
Sure, they can decide to miss out on improvements. But they shouldn't be losing basic functionality of things that were already provided for them with what they purchased and only offered to regain it back through an upgrade. That's far from anything related to not getting some new features or enhancements. That's losing what you had and basically spent money on, and all through no doing of your own, and in fact through direct screw up and mistakes of the manufacturer, which should only add to the manufacturer going out of their way a bit more than normal to address their own screw up like that.

Tubamajuba

macrumors 68020
Jun 8, 2011
here
Sure, they can decide to miss out on improvements. But they shouldn't be losing basic functionality of things that were already provided for them with what they purchased and only offered to regain it back through an upgrade. That's far from anything related to not getting some new features or enhancements. That's losing what you had and basically spent money on, and all through no doing of your own, and in fact through direct screw up and mistakes of the manufacturer, which should only add to the manufacturer going out of their way a bit more than normal to address their own screw up like that.

I agree with you that people should not lose functionality they had when they first purchased their device. The thing is, I believe that Apple doesn't have to do anything to accommodate the people that choose not to update their phone. They have the option to regain that functionality if they choose, but they choose not to. I am all for Apple providing security updates and bug fixes for those devices that cannot be updated to the newest version of iOS, but beyond that, I would much rather Apple's iOS team spend their effort on making the newest version of iOS as good as possible than accommodating people that simply don't want to update their phone.

A little off-topic, but I just wanted to say that I always enjoy debating you over matters like this. We've had discussions like this several times over the past couple months, and you're always courteous, respectful, and you never make personal attacks- qualities that many people on the internet lack. I tend to agree to disagree with you, but that's completely okay. I look forward to further disagreements! :p

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I agree with you that people should not lose functionality they had when they first purchased their device. The thing is, I believe that Apple doesn't have to do anything to accommodate the people that choose not to update their phone. They have the option to regain that functionality if they choose, but they choose not to. I am all for Apple providing security updates and bug fixes for those devices that cannot be updated to the newest version of iOS, but beyond that, I would much rather Apple's iOS team spend their effort on making the newest version of iOS as good as possible than accommodating people that simply don't want to update their phone.

A little off-topic, but I just wanted to say that I always enjoy debating you over matters like this. We've had discussions like this several times over the past couple months, and you're always courteous, respectful, and you never make personal attacks- qualities that many people on the internet lack. I tend to agree to disagree with you, but that's completely okay. I look forward to further disagreements! :p
Well, as I mentioned before, I don't think it's right that Apple messes up themselves and causes something to break for people and then doesn't fix it for some of them only offering a whole bigger change of the whole OS in order to regain what they themselves broke. Sure, they offer a path to regain the functionality, but it's not the same thing as actually just fixing it, especially when they themselves are the ones who broke it due to a fairly serious security issue they created, again, themselves. That should be taken into consideration and should have led Apple to do things a bit differently than simply the status quo in a case like that.

That said, as you alluded to, it does sound like this might be another one of those "respectfully agree to disagree" type of cases.

sebastian...

macrumors regular
Sep 11, 2011
iOS 7 and beyond are the future of iOS, and anybody clinging on to iOS 6 or below is simply delaying the inevitable. If you're not buying into the present and future of iOS, are iOS devices really going to meet your needs in the long run?

A reason to delay the update would be the hope that future iOS versions would be better suited for my needs. So I would keep the iphone 5 with ios 6 in the hope that ios 8 or 9 would finally bring the improvements and options I expected.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Well, as I mentioned before, I don't think it's right that Apple messes up themselves and causes something to break for people and then doesn't fix it for some of them only offering a whole bigger change of the whole OS in order to regain what they themselves broke. Sure, they offer a path to regain the functionality, but it's not the same thing as actually just fixing it, especially when they themselves are the ones who broke it due to a fairly serious security issue they created, again, themselves. That should be taken into consideration and should have led Apple to do things a bit differently than simply the status quo in a case like that.

That said, as you alluded to, it does sound like this might be another one of those "respectfully agree to disagree" type of cases.

This is one of those "keep on discussing" things that won't change apples mind. Because a pro-consumer choice appear to be valid, doesn't mean it really is. Apple supporting multiple operating systems could actually have a negative consumer choice. How far back should they support any o/s? Why not still support IOS 5? What about the issue with dev's providing proper app support? Apples ecosystem, unlike microsofts is geared to moving forward. I don't see why Microsoft stopped supporting windows xp.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
This is one of those "keep on discussing" things that won't change apples mind. Because a pro-consumer choice appear to be valid, doesn't mean it really is. Apple supporting multiple operating systems could actually have a negative consumer choice. How far back should they support any o/s? Why not still support IOS 5? What about the issue with dev's providing proper app support? Apples ecosystem, unlike microsofts is geared to moving forward. I don't see why Microsoft stopped supporting windows xp.
That's essentially trying to being in a slippery slope type of argument to avoid dealing with anything essentially just because of that theoretical argument. Things don't always have to go down a slippery slope just because a company would do something different than usual in a case when they themselves screwed up and ended up breaking something.

TheMTtakeover

macrumors 6502
Aug 3, 2011
If it needs a clean install, then it probably should NOT download itself onto the phone to prey on unsuspected users.

I'm only offering advice. I have always done a clean install for every major upgrade of any OS I have used. I tend not have a lot of the problems I see people complaining about.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
That's essentially trying to being in a slippery slope type of argument to avoid dealing with anything essentially just because of that theoretical argument. Things don't always have to go down a slippery slope just because a company would do something different than usual in a case when they themselves screwed up and ended up breaking something.

This is apples slippery slope and they have to deal with it, even though they caused it. But now we know how apple will react in the future on a similar scenario. iOS 6 is dead; long live IOS 6.

smartalic34

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2006
USA
A reason to delay the update would be the hope that future iOS versions would be better suited for my needs. So I would keep the iphone 5 with ios 6 in the hope that ios 8 or 9 would finally bring the improvements and options I expected.

What needs were met by iOS 6 that aren't being met by iOS 7 (or 8)? What functionality was lost?

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
What needs were met by iOS 6 that aren't being met by iOS 7 (or 8)? What functionality was lost?
What needs are met by a blue car vs a red car of the same model? I guess that somehow relates to people with blue cars being irrational for wanting a blue car and not a red one. Or that the manufacturer should be able to simply come to all those that bought a blue car from them and reprint their car to red, right?

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
What needs are met by a blue car vs a red car of the same model? I guess that somehow relates to people with blue cars being irrational for wanting a blue car and not a red one. Or that the manufacturer should be able to simply come to all those that bought a blue car from them and reprint their car to red, right?

Car analogy really doesn't work here. Apple has decided you, the consumer, really don't get to choose your favorite operating system. You, the consumer, have options:

- vote with your wallet
- tell apple how you feel, either through these forums or write Tim cook an email
- be annoyed and deal with it
- don't let it bother you

It's not like you have the option of the red or blue car, apple has decided you get the blue car.

smartalic34

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2006
USA
Skeuomorphism?

So Apple should never again change its mobile operating system design philosophy? The flat look of iOS 7 and 8 will evolve over time, and in a couple years, it will morph into something else, and maybe even return to skeuomorphism eventually. Design is fluid and ever-changing. Look at car headlights. Look at kitchen countertop materials. It doesn't matter what it is, progress is defined by change. Whether that change is good or bad is usually decided by the masses, and it seems that the majority have determined that the move away from skeuomorphism is, at least, tolerable, if not pleasing.

If the general public was truly annoyed with the general iOS 7 design, we would know about it (see: net neutrality, Apple Maps, etc.). Most of the noise when iOS 7 first came out (the vocal minority here on MacRumors notwithstanding) wasn't about how terrible the design was, but instead simply how dramatic (no negative connotation implied) it was compared to iOS 6.

Last edited:

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Car analogy really doesn't work here. Apple has decided you, the consumer, really don't get to choose your favorite operating system. You, the consumer, have options:

- vote with your wallet
- tell apple how you feel, either through these forums or write Tim cook an email
- be annoyed and deal with it
- don't let it bother you

It's not like you have the option of the red or blue car, apple has decided you get the blue car.
And if someone liked that blue car and actually spend their hard earned money to specially get it, why should Apple get to then break something in that car and then say that to fix what they themselves broke the car would suddenly also have to be repainted red as well?

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
And if someone liked that blue car and actually spend their hard earned money to specially get it, why should Apple get to then break something in that car and then say that to fix what they themselves broke the car would suddenly also have to be repainted red as well?

Because when you bought the blue car you agreed to a contract with the dealership giving them the authority to do virtually anything they need to keep the blue car running, including repaint it.

imaccooper

macrumors 6502
May 29, 2014
North Carolina
Yeah my previous system was a G5 8GB / OSX 10.5 / iTunes 10.6
Now I have a MacPro 1,1 8GB / OSX 10.6 / iTunes 11.3
I have a limited budget and I can still run my CS2 through Rosetta on 10.6.
A new system + software is way to pricey.
My next system will be another 4-6 year old system on the cheap with included software like CS3.
But I did notice I can run Windows XP or Vista on my MacPro pretty good if needed. Virtual PC was way too slow on my G5.

I am currently running on a 2009 iMac with a perfectly working Mavericks. That fits right into your 4-6 year window and still runs the latest OSX and software.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Because when you bought the blue car you agreed to a contract with the dealership giving them the authority to do virtually anything they need to keep the blue car running, including repaint it.
That's some deal. I wonder if most people truly realized it's there like that, if people would truly make the same decisions and have the same feelings about it all truly knowing that, and if it would truly hold up if actually legally challenged. Surely if something like that was in place for pretty much anything else out there it really wouldn't fly with the vast majority.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
That's some deal. I wonder if most people truly realized it's there like that, if people would truly make the same decisions and have the same feelings about it all truly knowing that, and if it would truly hold up if actually legally challenged. Surely if something like that was in place for pretty much anything else out there it really wouldn't fly with the vast majority.

That's the thing, apple at its discretion is not supporting an old version of the o/s. If it were legally challengeable I would have thought a class action lawsuit to keep windows xp alive would have been filed.

Apple is under no obligation as I understand it to fix old software. They can't force you to upgrade and seem to prevent you from downgrading. But the carrot and stick approach is a shiny new o/s.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
That's the thing, apple at its discretion is not supporting an old version of the o/s. If it were legally challengeable I would have thought a class action lawsuit to keep windows xp alive would have been filed.

Apple is under no obligation as I understand it to fix old software. They can't force you to upgrade and seem to prevent you from downgrading. But the carrot and stick approach is a shiny new o/s.
If Apple themselves introduces a major issue and doesn't fix it but only offers a whole different version of OS where it is working instead that might be something that can be challenged. It's not the same as with XP and just because it hasn't been challenged so far doesn't mean that it couldn't be or that it would actually hold up if it was actually challenged (whether or not it actually happens). It's one thing as far as what they do and why they do it and that they have been doing it all along, it's another thing as to what is actually right or would actually hold up if challenged properly and fully (again, whether or not that actually happens).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.