Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
If Apple themselves introduces a major issue and doesn't fix it but only offers a whole different version of OS where it is working instead that might be something that can be challenged. It's not the same as with XP and just because it hasn't been challenged so far doesn't mean that it couldn't be or that it would actually hold up if it was actually challenged (whether or not it actually happens). It's one thing as far as what they do and why they do it and that they have been doing it all along, it's another thing as to what is actually right or would actually hold up if challenged properly and fully (again, whether or not that actually happens).

Right I agree. Because in this country $250 gets you a lawsuit, filing one is easy. Winning one is another matter.

sebastian...

macrumors regular
Sep 11, 2011
What needs were met by iOS 6 that aren't being met by iOS 7 (or 8)? What functionality was lost?

Mostly cosmetic and functional I guess.
Thinner fonts, lack of shadows (which is strange because the new OS X Yosemite has them), less contrast on keyboard, confusing SHIFT key (which maybe will be solved with custom keyboards in ios 8), too much white, notification center is too spread out so I need to scroll more to see the same amount of information, the ios 7 default weather icons are smaller and less visible (and absent in NC), Messages app has less contrast and many more.

I like the ios 7 search feature from every screen and few other (very) small features.

RF9

macrumors regular
Jul 8, 2008
California
Who are those 9% people?
iPhone 3Gs and iPod Touch users. They are no longer supported.
As of iOS8 that will include iPhone 4 which was sold up until less than a year ago. It's shame because iPhone 4 is still useful but will become useless shortly after iOS8 is released because apps will slowly stop supporting iOS 7.

sebastian...

macrumors regular
Sep 11, 2011
iPhone 3Gs and iPod Touch users. They are no longer supported.
As of iOS8 that will include iPhone 4 which was sold up until less than a year ago.

I'm not so sure. I know a few people (myself included) with multiple idevices capable or running ios7, but still with ios 6 or ios 5.

I have even an ipod touch 16 GB with ios 1.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Mostly cosmetic and functional I guess.
Thinner fonts, lack of shadows (which is strange because the new OS X Yosemite has them), less contrast on keyboard, confusing SHIFT key (which maybe will be solved with custom keyboards in ios 8), too much white, notification center is too spread out so I need to scroll more to see the same amount of information, the ios 7 default weather icons are smaller and less visible (and absent in NC), Messages app has less contrast and many more.

I like the ios 7 search feature from every screen and few other (very) small features.

Your list is subjective more than factual. As I like almost every aspect of iOS 7 over iOS 6 I can't say I agree with it. As far as the shift key, I found it confusing in iOS 6, so IOS 7 didn't make it better or worse.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Your list is subjective more than factual. As I like almost every aspect of iOS 7 over iOS 6 I can't say I agree with it. As far as the shift key, I found it confusing in iOS 6, so IOS 7 didn't make it better or worse.
Not sure how people find something simple that really only has a few states confusing. It could be a little new at first if it changes or you haven't used it before, but after a few uses it's not something you really even pay attention too let alone be confused by given the simplicity of what it is.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Not sure how people find something simple that really only has a few states confusing. It could be a little new at first if it changes or you haven't used it before, but after a few uses it's not something you really even pay attention too let alone be confused by given the simplicity of what it is.

Sometimes I type a mistake like: "misSake" as I really wanted to type "mistake". Now I go back and correct the capital "S" to change it to a small "t". It ends up being an exercise in frustration as I invariably have to retype the letter three times. As my brain does not understand the state of the caps lock key.

sebastian...

macrumors regular
Sep 11, 2011
As far as the shift key, I found it confusing in iOS 6, so IOS 7 didn't make it better or worse.

The ios 5/6 SHIFT keyboard key didn't change color, but the arrow sign would light up with a glow light. So it would be very clear it's pressed/active.

On double press the whole key would turn up blue, meaning always pressed.
Very visible, very clear.

It seems in ios 7 glows, reflections and shadows are a big no no. So perhaps a different solution would have been a small circle somewhere on the shift key (even a pixel point would help) would turn perhaps a solid (flat) blue color when Caps Lock on. I mean colored things are still allowed in ios 7 no ?

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
The ios 5/6 SHIFT keyboard key didn't change color, but the arrow sign would light up with a glow light. So it would be very clear it's pressed/active.

On double press the whole key would turn up blue, meaning always pressed.
Very visible, very clear.

It seems in ios 7 glows, reflections and shadows are a big no no. So perhaps a different solution would have been a small circle somewhere on the shift key (even a pixel point would help) would turn perhaps a solid (flat) blue color when Caps Lock on. I mean colored things are still allowed in ios 7 no ?

I agree with your suggestions. Now that I am used to IOS the way it is, is very unintuitive. When I used IOS 6 I was in apple confusion land as I was making the mental shift from bb to IOS.

B4U

macrumors 68040
Oct 11, 2012
Undisclosed location
I think it's in a transition period. from a 00's skueomorphism style to a cleaner, simpler style in the 10's. I'd like to see maybe a bit more depth to the design but I like it's plain simple style even although I wouldn't say it's quite there yet. Maybe a little bright and garish, just needs toned down a little and a bit more depth added.

Yosemite looks great I think, especially for those like me on Retina displays, they really nailed it but that's just my opinion. Can't wait to try out calling on it.

But the darn icons are cartoonish...
Why can't they understand that...

----------

I'm only offering advice. I have always done a clean install for every major upgrade of any OS I have used. I tend not have a lot of the problems I see people complaining about.

Thanks for the advice. But maybe Apple should start listening.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.