Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
The date format is irelevant. I was just trying to say that today is September 2nd and nothing has been released. The GM will not be released until the press event.

Technically that isn't true. A GM can be released before a public release. And with iOS often is. So developers can lock their final updates, test them and submit them to go live on or very shortly after public release.

Rather like the traditional use of the term GM for the locked version that would be pressed to disk, the GM of iOS is locked and loaded on new device models. So by releasing it now the developers can be sure their stuff works for those that buy a new model iPhone and load it, avoiding negative reviews and such.

Nothing happened today because it is a national holiday in the US but a beta 7 that is in effect the final 'locked' version (barring any last minute discovered major bug) could go out tomorrow. With the public release 2-4 weeks away

batting1000

macrumors 604
Sep 4, 2011
Florida
Technically that isn't true. A GM can be released before a public release. And with iOS often is. So developers can lock their final updates, test them and submit them to go live on or very shortly after public release.

Except Apple hasn't released the GM before the press event for any other version of iOS.

Gogurt48

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2013
GM tomorrow?

Reports are saying we'll get the iOS 7 GM tomorrow. Personally, I doubt it, but I wouldn't totally rule out the possibility. I think it depends on two things: First, whether the GM is ready. If it is, then I think it depends on how much attention Apple wants to give iOS 7 at the iPhone event.

They may have some surprises in the GM that they plan to unveil at the Event. If so, we won't see the GM until that day.

But it's also possible that the GM looks exactly like beta 6 with the bugs squashed. In that case, why wait? Indeed, Apple might want the iPhone event to focus exclusively on the iPhone. They might not want the unveiling of the final version of iOS 7 to steal any of the iPhone's thunder. If they release the GM a week ahead of time, it'll be old news by the time of the Event, and all attention can be given to the new iPhone(s).

Guess we'll see tomorrow.

RJCP

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2011
Well, those working 5C's that surfaced today up and running must be using the version of iOS that Apple will next release to developers.

My guess is a GM for iPhone seeded to developers this week and availability for public download next week.

Beta 7 will probably continue the iPad optimisation process and a GM should become available at the same time as the iPad media event.

I have no idea how beta 6 is behaving on iPads though, and how far it is from being ready. People's feedback regarding beta 6 on iPhone seems to be mostly positive.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.