Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

Linuxpro

macrumors regular
Jan 31, 2015
Singapore
If you use the fingerprint scanner to log in, Siri pops up (if you do not have the presence of mind to release the button fast enough). It is a little like the old Voice-talk on Samsung problem.

I disabled Siri, because it was annoing me. I guess it is best because my wife would get jellious. :eek: (joke)

My iPad 3 started having the problem after the update. I have not experenced it on my iPhone 6.

theonekcrow

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2009
Indiana
I am always updating through iTunes, feel like that gives me a cleaner update. But I will let it run for a few days and see if it improves, as one member advised me to do in an earlier post.

Here is my battery life after one day. Seems like it is somewhat better. Installed through iTunes.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    258.1 KB · Views: 166

GlenK

macrumors 65816
Aug 1, 2013
St. Augustine, FL
My 6 is running the update fine with one exception. Still keep having to sign into iCloud. Happens several times a day, usually when I send an email, but can be totally random.

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
Right, I spent 6 monstrously tedious hours last night exporting files from my 6+, then installing a clean version of iOS8.1.3 and setting up as a new phone. I have done nothing except switch reduce motion on, background refresh off, location services off, untick spotlight and install a couple of hourly fetch email accounts. I haven't even changed the stock wallpaper or rearranged the stock homescreen icons and yet I am getting WORSE battery life than I was getting yesterday. This is conclusive proof to me that 8.1.2 and 8.1.3 are nowhere near as good when it comes to battery life as the preceding iterations of iOS8.

I've had one hour and 2 minutes of battery usage for my first 10% and that's just browsing Safari over WiFi. This is on a 6+ for goodness sake! How can anyone say that their battery life is exactly the same as it was on 8.1.1??

Enojo

macrumors member
Jan 26, 2015
Anyone else experiencing problems with the "today's status" in the notification centre not showing the small weather forecast in text? After I got the iPhone 6 I've only seen it appear once. Mind you, everything of location services is turned on. I don't live in the US, that seem to make difference. Anybody else with the same problem on 8.1.3?

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Right, I spent 6 monstrously tedious hours last night exporting files from my 6+, then installing a clean version of iOS8.1.3 and setting up as a new phone. I have done nothing except switch reduce motion on, background refresh off, location services off, untick spotlight and install a couple of hourly fetch email accounts. I haven't even changed the stock wallpaper or rearranged the stock homescreen icons and yet I am getting WORSE battery life than I was getting yesterday. This is conclusive proof to me that 8.1.2 and 8.1.3 are nowhere near as good when it comes to battery life as the preceding iterations of iOS8.

I've had one hour and 2 minutes of battery usage for my first 10% and that's just browsing Safari over WiFi. This is on a 6+ for goodness sake! How can anyone say that their battery life is exactly the same as it was on 8.1.1??

Let Apple do a diagnostic...that's not right.

dramitmanglani

macrumors newbie
Jan 29, 2015

Dear
Sunking I updated my ip6 to 8.1.3 feeling a slight improvement after in battery backup as I turned off many notifications also
My 1st day was same as u are experiencing
After 2 days I m getting better battery standby as well as when I use it.
But the battery percentage bug ie. 71 to 69 and so on is still there
R u experiencing the same issue of battery percentage 71 to 69 bug after a clean install
Please reply

Regards

----------

Dear
Sunking I updated my ip6 to 8.1.3 feeling a slight improvement after in battery backup as I turned off many notifications also
R u experiencing the same issue of battery percentage 71 to 69 bug after a clean install
Please reply

Regards

Please get the remedy for this

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
If you use the fingerprint scanner to log in, Siri pops up (if you do not have the presence of mind to release the button fast enough). It is a little like the old Voice-talk on Samsung problem.

I disabled Siri, because it was annoing me. I guess it is best because my wife would get jellious. :eek: (joke)

My iPad 3 started having the problem after the update. I have not experenced it on my iPhone 6.

I don't believe you need to press down the home button for TouchID, just simoly hold the finger on it without pressing it.

----------

Dear
Please reply

Regards

----------

Please get the remedy for this

Seems like it's been explained a number of times already--the percentage jump where it goes from 71 to 69 (and there are a few other similar ones) is an existing bug that has been there since iOS 8.0 and still exists today. There is no fix for it, not until Apple fixes it in some update in the future, if they decide to do it. There is nothing any of us can do about it.

dramitmanglani

macrumors newbie
Jan 29, 2015
One potential issue for you is you seem to drain your battery completely 100% every day. So that of course uses up cycles and decreases the battery life. (Not that there is anything wrong with that as you purchased a phone to use it) but a battery looses capacity every cycle so potentially it will be less and less as time goes on if you do nothing different. I dont suspect the battery is loosing 1 hr of capacity due to a charge cycle so dont get me wrong. But on the flip side I also don't believe each iOS update is causing an hour of less battery either.

Completely opposite from you, I have had consistent battery life from out of box til today with 8, 8.0.2, 8.1, 8.1.1 and 8.1.3. As are others (most folks I suspect). So if it were an inherent iOS issue everyone would be effected the way I see it and that is simply not the case.

Really wish you could pinpoint what it going on for 100% but my gut is its not iOS.

Dear sbailey

U r having good battery life that's good news
But r u having 71 to 69 directly falling battery percentage issue or not
Please reply
Regards

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Dear sbailey

U r having good battery life that's good news
But r u having 71 to 69 directly falling battery percentage issue or not
Please reply
Regards
Everyone has that issue. There is no fix for it. Only Apple can fix it if they decide to do it at some point in a future update.

Photography

macrumors 65816
Apr 10, 2007
My 6 is running the update fine with one exception. Still keep having to sign into iCloud. Happens several times a day, usually when I send an email, but can be totally random.

Believe it or not, this usually occurs because the email address listed in Settings > iCloud has the first letter capitalized, e.g. Bob@gmail.com. If this is the case, sign out of iCloud and sign back in, typing all of the letters in lowercase format, and that should fix it.

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
WiFi drops.
With every iteration of iOS8 to date, if I go so far away from my router that I get such a weak signal my connection is lost, the phone will not reconnect automatically when the signal returns (like on previous versions of iOS). I have to quit the app I'm using, go into settings and reconnect manually to my network. This is kinda annoying because I drop signal fairly frequently in my kitchen.

Linuxpro

macrumors regular
Jan 31, 2015
Singapore
I saw some posts about memory management. I have also seen an improvement. Google Earth used to crash on my iPad when running ios 8.12! Sometimes it would just complian about low memory. Now it runs great on my phone and my iPad! :D

Safari no longer crashes if I have too many pages open. Chrome still acts up on my phone, but not my iPad.

GlenK

macrumors 65816
Aug 1, 2013
St. Augustine, FL
Believe it or not, this usually occurs because the email address listed in Settings > iCloud has the first letter capitalized, e.g. Bob@gmail.com. If this is the case, sign out of iCloud and sign back in, typing all of the letters in lowercase format, and that should fix it.

I was ready to try this but got the message: "Signing out of your iCloud account will disable Apple Pay and will remove your cards".

Have a number of cards in there that will have to be re-entered and verified. I'll try this at another time. Thanks for the information.

sbailey4

macrumors 601
Dec 5, 2011
USA

Dude you have to give it more than a few hours to tell. It usually takes a day or so to settle down. Turning off spotlight does nothing for battery BTW. I am leaning toward better battery than 8.1.1 but again need to really test several days with various usage types. Also think about it, if iOS was really causing an hour less battery after every update dont you think there would be mass media attention and mutiny of Apple? There is something specific to your config or device causing all your issues. Also per Apples spec:

1hr/12hr use=.0833 used for wifi. So 100%-8.33%= 91.6% should be remaining. You stated you used 10% so pretty close to max spec it would appear. That is not taking into any account standby or anything else you may have done in that 1 hr of use. This is from the 50,000 ft level assuming no phone calls or music, etc. Basically the spec says wifi should use .0833 per hr. (1/12) because 12 hrs is the max usage for wifi according to spec. If you want to add in any standby time in, then 1/384 (max standby is 384) so .02% per hr should be expected. These numbers are based on max spec from Apple in ideal conditions and all are stated as "up to x hrs"

How can anyone say that their battery life is exactly the same as it was on 8.1.1??
My yesterday results below for iP6 on 8.1.3:

IMG_1177.PNG

Last edited:

FatPuppy

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 14, 2012
Dude you have to give it more than a few hours to tell. It usually takes a day or so to settle down. Turning off spotlight does nothing for battery BTW. I am leaning toward better battery than 8.1.1 but again need to really test several days with various usage types. Also think about it, if iOS was really causing an hour less battery after every update dont you think there would be mass media attention and mutiny of Apple? There is something specific to your config or device causing all your issues. Also per Apples spec:

1hr/12hr use=.0833 used for wifi. So 100%-8.33%= 91.6% should be remaining. You stated you used 10% so pretty close to max spec it would appear. That is not taking into any account standby or anything else you may have done in that 1 hr of use. This is from the 50,000 ft level assuming no phone calls or music, etc. Basically the spec says wifi should use .0833 per hr. (1/12) because 12 hrs is the max usage for wifi according to spec. If you want to add in any standby time in, then 1/384 (max standby is 384) so .02% per hr should be expected. These numbers are based on max spec from Apple in ideal conditions and all are stated as "up to x hrs"

My yesterday results below for iP6 on 8.1.3:

View attachment 527622

I think you mean "iP5"

FatPuppy

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 14, 2012
Huh? I am pretty sure its a iP6. Thats the thin bendable one with the 4.7" screen yes? ;)

Than why is the resolution 640 by 1136 ? Only the iphone 5 and 5s have this resolution and only the iphone 6 plus bends.

sbailey4

macrumors 601
Dec 5, 2011
USA
Than why is the resolution 640 by 1136 ? Only the iphone 5 and 5s have this resolution and only the iphone 6 plus bends.

HAHA and only if you sit on it while in a pocket. Oh you talking about the image. Didnt really pay attention to the res. Details, details. The graphic was uploaded just to show the info in the pic :) However you got me thinking why would those be 640x1136. Well light bulb moment, its because I am in zoomed mode LOL. So effectively iP5 resolution for any screen shots.

----------

[/COLOR]
Actually 4.7" ip6 can bend as well. I've seen someone with it.

I would venture to say that ANY thin piece of aluminium will bend given enough force. Nothing new there.

Last edited:

FatPuppy

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jul 14, 2012
HAHA and only if you sit on it while in a pocket. Oh you talking about the image. I am not posting from my phone but a Windows laptop. I just uploaded that from iCloud photostream from Windows PC. Didnt really pay attention to the res. Details, details. The graphic was uploaded just to show the info in the pic :)

----------

Dude, do you even hear yourself? That screenshot is from an iphone 5/5s. I don't really understand why are you lying, people come on this thread to read stuff about 8.1.3.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.