Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

TL24

macrumors 65816
Oct 20, 2011
Well that should at least give us some hope. It's purely related to the OS, which I somehow always expected, but I thought the algorithm for it was rooted on a much "closer" level to the hardware. Since I've only heard people with the 6 and 6 Plus mention this issue, I naturally assumed it was only restricted to those phones.

Thanks for clearing it up!

I wonder if the few complaints about the lack of dynamic range (compared to the 5S) on the 6 devices is also something purely related to software?

I wish that was the case but I've seen shots of all devices ranging from the 5 to the 6 + running iOS 8+ and they all have a very heavy noise reduction algorithm that's been applied to them.

Maybe I'm imagining things but with iOS 8.1.3 it seems like the noise reduction was toned down just a bit? I was hoping picture quality would go back to iOS 7 quality but that hasn't been the case yet.

sanke1

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2010
So it didn't actually fix many things. Hopefulle 8.1.3 fixes are included.

MikhailT

macrumors 601
Nov 12, 2007
So there's no bugs at all?
Yet the 8.1.3 bug thread is as long as your arm...

Oh, there are bugs, probably just as much as iOS 8.1.3. It's just this thread is specifically for new bugs found in iOS 8.2 beta 5. There really is no point of repeating the same bugs from the current version.

In other words, people are not noticing new bugs compared to 8.1.3, they're just noticing slightly more bug fixes, which is why you see it in the list here. Unfortunately, some of them are fixes for bugs that were created in iOS 8.2, which cancels them out.

Don't expect a lot of bug fixes, iOS 8.2 is tailor-made for AppleWatch support, just like iOS 8.1 were tailor-made for ApplePay.

We'll see a long list of tiny bug fixes but not enough to fix the big ones we're been complaining about here, there are just a lot of bugs to fix.

BrettDS

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2012
Orlando
Anyone having issues with family sharing on beta 5? I just got notified that one of the apps that my wife purchased is no longer shared with me and it won't let me start it on my phone. If I go into the app store and try to look at any of my family's purchases it just says that they have no purchases.

Well, whatever this was seemed to have been resolved with a restart. I checked my ipad and I was not having the same problem there, so I tried to restart my phone. After the restart I could see my wife's purchases in the app store, but the app still wouldn't run. Without deleting the app I reinstalled it from the app store and then it started working.

gordon1234

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2010
Yes sometimes on Spotlight but never in any app. Like messages, safari, whatsapp, tweetbot etc.
I think it depends on devs also how stable they are keeping their app. I'm also beta testing Fleksy. They push beta updates every 1 or 2 week. And their keyboard has been my daily driver. All i'm saying animations for keyboard dismissing, stability, keyboard popping up in apps is alot better in beta 4.

----------

- keyboard not appearing in spotlight still happens. But has reduced.
- nah. It now works fine in Messages app. Never had Messages.app lock up issue on beta 4.
- Still cant leave reviews with 3rd party keyboards.
- Sliding animation is working now greatly. Has been better.

I was wondering if anyone else could chime in with their keyboard experience? I know you say it's been working well for you since beta 4, but when I go to the bug fix thread for beta 4, I see people complaining about the same keyboard issues we've been seeing since day one, so I'm trying to determine if it is meaningfully fixed or if you just don't happen to be encountering issues.

Last edited:

WordMasterRice

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2010
Upstate NY
I was wondering if anyone else could chime in with their keyboard experience? I know you say it's been working well for you since beta 4, but when I go to for bug fix thread for beta 4, I see people complaining about the same keyboard issues we've been seeing since day one, do I'm trying to determine if it is meaningfully fixed or if you just don't happen to be encountering issues.

I turned my keyboards on for the past 2 days, basically the same issues I've always had. Messages still freezes, Messages still will show the blinking cursor but won't actually bring up a keyboard. Keyboards still come up blank.

It's difficult to believe that we are 5 months out and keyboards are still as broken as they are.

gordon1234

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2010
I turned my keyboards on for the past 2 days, basically the same issues I've always had. Messages still freezes, Messages still will show the blinking cursor but won't actually bring up a keyboard. Keyboards still come up blank.

It's difficult to believe that we are 5 months out and keyboards are still as broken as they are.

Ugh, that's what I was afraid of. It's like someone in the right position said third-party keyboards had to be a thing in iOS 8, but no one else at Apple really wants them or cares whether they work or not…

XTheLancerX

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2014
NY, USA
I'm not sure if that's normal pace but I don't understand how it took 2 weeks for this beta to come out and they only fixed like 5 minor bugs and didn't really improve performance or anything at all.

gordon1234

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2010
I'm not sure if that's normal pace but I don't understand how it took 2 weeks for this beta to come out and they only fixed like 5 minor bugs and didn't really improve performance or anything at all.
I think the unfortunate answer for us is that the 8.2 branch is all about Apple Watch. Apple Watch support has to be fully implemented and rock solid before the Apple Watch public release which, if rumors are to be believed, is coming quite soon, so I don't think that necessarily leaves a lot of resources for bug fixes, aside from fixing actual regressions in the 8.2 line itself over what is out today.

XTheLancerX

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2014
NY, USA
I think the unfortunate answer for us is that the 8.2 branch is all about Apple Watch. Apple Watch support has to be fully implemented and rock solid before the Apple Watch public release which, if rumors are to be believed, is coming quite soon, so I don't think that necessarily leaves a lot of resources for bug fixes, aside from fixing actual regressions in the 8.2 line itself over what is out today.

That really is a shame, not surprising though. Makes sense. And then if the iPad air plus happens or iPad pro, that will only further bog down iOS development. Then iOS 9 will come out and throw a few more logs on the fire. UNLESS they do a "Snow Leapard" iOS 9!! Really really hoping for that, people say it won't happen because it hasn't happened before. But I don't see why not. Before Snow Leapard on OS X that never happened before did it? And even though iOS is part of the insanely fast paced mobile market, I think it's still possible. Didn't KitKat focus on reducing the footprint of the OS allowing it to run on 512MB of RAM? I didn't look into it a ton, but KitKat didn't add a *ton* either, performance was a priority, correct? Or am I horribly mistaken? Anyway, you get the point I suppose. An iOS 9 bug-fixer really needs to happen because all of this slop will slow even the iPad Air 2 to a crawl rather quickly and cripple even the most powerful devices to come.

I wouldn't even be bothered if Apple gave us one good performance update for iOS 8 like 7.1, (to make a long wait bearable) and then took an extra year to make a great, smooth, bug-free iteration of iOS. However I think that is less likely.

Defender2010

Cancelled
Jun 6, 2010
Beta 5 on my iPhone 6 and iPad Air 2 is running excellently. Almost no lag and no obvious bugs that I see....and I do look. 3rd party keyboards are working fine. Seems faster than beta 4. Especially on the Air 2.

----------

That really is a shame, not surprising though. Makes sense. And then if the iPad air plus happens or iPad pro, that will only further bog down iOS development. Then iOS 9 will come out and throw a few more logs on the fire. UNLESS they do a "Snow Leapard" iOS 9!! Really really hoping for that, people say it won't happen because it hasn't happened before. But I don't see why not. Before Snow Leapard on OS X that never happened before did it? And even though iOS is part of the insanely fast paced mobile market, I think it's still possible. Didn't KitKat focus on reducing the footprint of the OS allowing it to run on 512MB of RAM? I didn't look into it a ton, but KitKat didn't add a *ton* either, performance was a priority, correct? Or am I horribly mistaken? Anyway, you get the point I suppose. An iOS 9 bug-fixer really needs to happen because all of this slop will slow even the iPad Air 2 to a crawl rather quickly and cripple even the most powerful devices to come.

I wouldn't even be bothered if Apple gave us one good performance update for iOS 8 like 7.1, (to make a long wait bearable) and then took an extra year to make a great, smooth, bug-free iteration of iOS. However I think that is less likely.

Finished your rant? What you just posted is really mostly untrue. 8.2 works great - and I am fussy how I use that word! It's pretty obvious there is more going on than just preparing for the Apple Watch.

gordon1234

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2010

I really think that people look at Snow Leopard with rose-colored glasses.. It didn't have "no new features" nor was it particularly bug free. There were a ton of APIs changes (sound familiar?) and a fair number of new user-facing features as well. Ever try to use Exchange in Snow Leopard prior to about the 4th bug fix release? It was at least as broken as keyboards are today, and still doesn't work that well on Snow Leopard to this day.

nheilweil

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2008
Redmond, WA
...Apple Watch public release which, if rumors are to be believed, is coming quite soon, so I don't think that necessarily leaves a lot of resources for bug fixes, aside from fixing actual regressions in the 8.2 line itself over what is out today.

That's not really how Apple's dev engineering teams are structured -- the Watch team isn't somehow made up of a pool of engineers that need to work on other things like bug fixes -- they are a dedicated team only addressing Watch issues. Bugs are assigned to the responsible teams to figure out how to resolve, so a camera bug, for instance, gets prioritized by that Camera team. If it that camera bug wasn't resolved, it's either because the Camera team couldn't recreate and resolve the issue, or because it had lower priority than that team needing to code new features on the camera roadmap. It's not because Watch took all the engineers.

gordon1234

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2010
That's not really how Apple's dev engineering teams are structured -- the Watch team isn't somehow made up of a pool of engineers that need to work on other things like bug fixes -- they are a dedicated team only addressing Watch issues. Bugs are assigned to the responsible teams to figure out how to resolve, so a camera bug, for instance, gets prioritized by that Camera team. If it that camera bug wasn't resolved, it's either because the Camera team couldn't recreate and resolve the issue, or because it had lower priority than that team needing to code new features on the camera roadmap. It's not because Watch took all the engineers.

The watch team is surely separate, but the core iOS Team is the team responsible for implementing watch support in iOS in time for the watch release. I can't imagine they would use a different team then the people who always work on iOS for this.

sanke1

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2010
I finally but reluctantly, fresh installed 8.2 b5 and set up my iPhone 5S as new.

I am now convinced that this beta does actually fix minor UI bugs or animation glitches which were present in 8.1.3.

The transition animations of the UI are slightly tweaked and feel milliseconds faster, just to notice.

I have not encountered any showstopper bug. Teamviewer also works as before.

Feels good man! :cool:

UTS

macrumors member
Jun 25, 2012
Hoping to see this spinning data wheel non stop on some webpages finally get resolved. Apple seem to be aware of the safari problem but haven't done anything to fix it.

sw6lee

macrumors regular
Jun 4, 2013
Not improved...at all

Just flashed this on iPad mini 2, but in terms of animation stutters, lags, glitches, etc, iOS 8.2 beta 5 did not improve it AT ALL.

It seems like the annoying a second lag that happens when going home screen is even more frequent, just like beta 4, I noticed. Of course, you should turn OFF reduce motion to notice this. And orientation change animation stutter, spotlight keyboard pop-up stutter, and all others are still there.

Really, really tempted to sell this POS..

crashoverride77

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2014
Just flashed this on iPad mini 2, but in terms of animation stutters, lags, glitches, etc, iOS 8.2 beta 5 did not improve it AT ALL.

It seems like the annoying a second lag that happens when going home screen is even more frequent, just like beta 4, I noticed. Of course, you should turn OFF reduce motion to notice this. And orientation change animation stutter, spotlight keyboard pop-up stutter, and all others are still there.

Really, really tempted to sell this POS..

haha. Try the Nexus 6, its the smoothest device ever, said no one ever :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.