Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Morac

macrumors 68020
Dec 30, 2009
Just had my iPad Air 2 running iOS 8.4.1 respring updating apps. I could tell it was going to as it started freezing while the apps were processing, which occurs after the app downloads. It's when Apple signs to app to your iTunes account. It was trying to do 10 apps at once, which caused the iPad to become unresponsive. That triggered a respring.

I had just restored my iPad via iTunes last week, so that isn't a fix. The problem seems to be the App Store app trying to process too many apps at once with other processes running in the background. That causes a resource limitation which triggers a respring.

I haven't seen a lot under 8.4.1, but they still happen.

pacorob

macrumors 68020
Apr 8, 2010
the Netherlands
Yesterday i had again a respring with my iPad mini2 running 8.4 while browsing in the App Store. I decided to update to 8.4.1. Let's see how it goes.

Makale.Helvetia

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2014
İSTANBUL - TÜRKİYE
never had a random reboot on 8.4.1 both on my 5s and mini 2 retina..

always closing app store app from the multi task screen. never leave it on the background, maybe that's why i've eliminated the resprings..it's rock solid now.

and everybody who has got still respring issue.. please write down the apps that you updated just before the respring.

Morac

macrumors 68020
Dec 30, 2009
It's random as to what app update triggers it. There's no specific set of apps that causes it.

Makale.Helvetia

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2014
İSTANBUL - TÜRKİYE
It's random as to what app update triggers it. There's no specific set of apps that causes it.

how many apps you keep active on the task manager?

and try to remember :) you updated an ''app'' and your device resprung,what was the app? if you see it one by one.

and hopefully..iOS 9 GM is launching next week wednesday,just after the conference.

Morac

macrumors 68020
Dec 30, 2009
how many apps you keep active on the task manager?

and try to remember :) you updated an ''app'' and your device resprung,what was the app? if you see it one by one.

and hopefully..iOS 9 GM is launching next week wednesday,just after the conference.

As I've said, there's no one app that causes a respring. I have over 250 apps installed and an update to any of them can trigger a respring.

Polekat

macrumors 6502
Jul 13, 2010
I don't think it matters which app is being updated. I think it's more of the number of apps being updated. I want to say I've never seen a respring with only s few app updates, but if there are a lot and you hit update all it will respring. From now on I plan on updating one at a time when there are more than 3 to update to see if that ceases the issue.

Makale.Helvetia

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2014
İSTANBUL - TÜRKİYE
I don't think it matters which app is being updated. I think it's more of the number of apps being updated. I want to say I've never seen a respring with only s few app updates, but if there are a lot and you hit update all it will respring. From now on I plan on updating one at a time when there are more than 3 to update to see if that ceases the issue.

i've updated a ''bunch'' of apps with ''update all'' section but no respring happened. i think there are some apps that trigger a respring more than others,but we couldn't find which one they are.

danny8200

macrumors 65816
Oct 27, 2014
Chicopee, MA
After much observation and research, my final conclusion is that there is no clear answer to why the springboard restarts. Not even Apple knows the answer.

danny8200

macrumors 65816
Oct 27, 2014
Chicopee, MA
I am hesitating on taking it to the Genius Bar for replacement and playing the "replacement lottery" and maybe ending up swapping it and still having the same exact problem.

The million dollar question would be, is this hardware or software related?

Makale.Helvetia

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2014
İSTANBUL - TÜRKİYE
I am hesitating on taking it to the Genius Bar for replacement and playing the "replacement lottery" and maybe ending up swapping it and still having the same exact problem.

The million dollar question would be, is this hardware or software related?

for me,its not a hardware issue, so many people complaining about it,and its all started after 8.3 released,so it's impossible to be a hardware issue. it's definitely a software issue or a hole on the software that causes it.

we all can wait for iOS 9 to fix that issue..otherwise there is not much we can do as a regular user.

Polekat

macrumors 6502
Jul 13, 2010
Just had 11 updates. Spotify caused a respring as it was at the end of the install. Had downloaded completely, was installing and the blue circle was full but before it switched from the updating to updated my phone resprung

Morac

macrumors 68020
Dec 30, 2009
Just had 11 updates. Spotify caused a respring as it was at the end of the install. Had downloaded completely, was installing and the blue circle was full but before it switched from the updating to updated my phone resprung

That matches what I've seen which drives my theory that the device is trying to install too many apps at the same time. Prior to iOS 8.3, devices would only install 3 apps at a time, now there's no limit.

Makale.Helvetia

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2014
İSTANBUL - TÜRKİYE

tell me the names of these 11 apps, i did the same yesterday and did not have a respring after updating spotify,maybe that was another app causing this.

Polekat

macrumors 6502
Jul 13, 2010
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1442352944.094648.jpg

Polekat

macrumors 6502
Jul 13, 2010
I was updating one at a time. When spotify started to hang I tapped another one or two (don't remember which) and shortly later it resprang

Polekat

macrumors 6502
Jul 13, 2010
Today I had 20 updates. I hit update all expecting a respring, but it went fine.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1442356849.739482.jpg

Last edited:

Cogsworth

macrumors 6502
Feb 7, 2015
Just found this thread...I have been having frequent reboots/resprings on my 6 plus for a while now though I can't say exactly when it started. Happens probably 4 or 5 times a week, often while updating or switching between apps. I took it to the Genius Bar a couple weeks ago and when he scanned the phone he was able to see the crashes in their diagnostic software. He did NOT offer a replacement however as he said the operating system was somehow corrupted and the only solution was a DFU restore (without a restoring from a backup) in which I would lose all of my saved text messages and I would have to reinstall all my apps from scratch. He did suggest however that iOS 9 might fix the problem as theoretically whatever file is corrupted would be replaced, but he was not positive about this. I did not want to lose my messages and go through all that work reinstalling apps so I did try a DFU restore followed by a restore from backup just for kicks and I am still getting the crashes.

Reactions: danny8200
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.