Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Morac

macrumors 68020
Dec 30, 2009
Today I had 20 updates. I hit update all expecting a respring, but it went fine.

I had a ton of updates today on my Air 2 and at times I thought it was going to respring as it became unresponsive periodically for about 5 seconds at a time (which considering the Air 2 has 3 CPUs means it was very busy), but it recovered.

Times I've seen a respring, the freezes lasted longer and were more frequent.

Reactions: danny8200

Morac

macrumors 68020
Dec 30, 2009
Just found this thread...I have been having frequent reboots/resprings on my 6 plus for a while now though I can't say exactly when it started. Happens probably 4 or 5 times a week, often while updating or switching between apps. I took it to the Genius Bar a couple weeks ago and when he scanned the phone he was able to see the crashes in their diagnostic software. He did NOT offer a replacement however as he said the operating system was somehow corrupted and the only solution was a DFU restore (without a restoring from a backup) in which I would lose all of my saved text messages and I would have to reinstall all my apps from scratch. He did suggest however that iOS 9 might fix the problem as theoretically whatever file is corrupted would be replaced, but he was not positive about this. I did not want to lose my messages and go through all that work reinstalling apps so I did try a DFU restore followed by a restore from backup just for kicks and I am still getting the crashes.

I find it funny that the Genius people say they can see the crashes in the logs, yet the Apple engineers say they can't see it.

For what it's worth, the "Genius Bar" people usually don't have much of a clue about software issues unless they've gotten an edict from HQ. Their suggestion is almost always a restore and set up as new. Case in point, my 5s was frequently kernel panicking when charging. Based on the error code it appeared the flash was bad. I brought it into the bar and originally they said I should restore it when I described the problem until I showed them the logs. They were told to do a hardware swap for kernel panics, but they told me to set it up as new or else the kernel panics would come back. I did a restore from backup and it's been fine ever since (nearly 16 months).

iOS 9 is supposed to be a stability release, but from what I've read it's fairly buggy, similar to every x.0 release the past few years, so even if it fixes this problem, it's bound to introduce others.

Reactions: danny8200

Makale.Helvetia

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2014
İSTANBUL - TÜRKİYE
Just found this thread...I have been having frequent reboots/resprings on my 6 plus for a while now though I can't say exactly when it started. Happens probably 4 or 5 times a week, often while updating or switching between apps. I took it to the Genius Bar a couple weeks ago and when he scanned the phone he was able to see the crashes in their diagnostic software. He did NOT offer a replacement however as he said the operating system was somehow corrupted and the only solution was a DFU restore (without a restoring from a backup) in which I would lose all of my saved text messages and I would have to reinstall all my apps from scratch. He did suggest however that iOS 9 might fix the problem as theoretically whatever file is corrupted would be replaced, but he was not positive about this. I did not want to lose my messages and go through all that work reinstalling apps so I did try a DFU restore followed by a restore from backup just for kicks and I am still getting the crashes.

the respring ''issue'' started with 8.3 and i tried many times restoring not from backup,DFU mode but the crashes keep going one a week or two. i think it's a memory management issue on iOS 8. and if you got a lot of apps that trigger the issue much more. for example my gf has got an iphone 5s and she hasnt got so many apps on it. no games installed.and her phone didn't respring one time. but my ipad mini 2 and 5s resprung started at 8.3 update and minimalized on 8.4.1. now no resprings on iOS 9 GM /hopefully it won't) but this morning. i saw a diagnostic log on my 5s says ''SystemMemoryReset_..'' maybe they add this ''feature'' for system working more stable..no jetsam event crash logs..just that one..i'll keep an eye on it.

Polekat

macrumors 6502
Jul 13, 2010
Another with these apps being updated.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1442400607.359303.jpg

Update all

Morac

macrumors 68020
Dec 30, 2009
I got a "kernel panic" under iOS 9. That's not like the springboards we were getting under 8.x since it takes a lot longer to load and requires re-entering the password.

This was a few days after I did a restore to iOS 9 and set my iPad Air 2 up as new. I originally upgraded, but iOS 9 hosed my Game Center so it wouldn't work.

zjwww

macrumors newbie
May 21, 2015
My iPad Air 2 has upgraded to iOS 9, just got a re-spring when updating and downloading new apps in the background while opening the SpeedTest APP.

Makale.Helvetia

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2014
İSTANBUL - TÜRKİYE
I got a "kernel panic" under iOS 9. That's not like the springboards we were getting under 8.x since it takes a lot longer to load and requires re-entering the password.

This was a few days after I did a restore to iOS 9 and set my iPad Air 2 up as new. I originally upgraded, but iOS 9 hosed my Game Center so it wouldn't work.

kernel panic points to your device may be a hardware issue,you better take it to nearest apple point and make a full diagnose with genius bar staff.

Morac

macrumors 68020
Dec 30, 2009
kernel panic points to your device may be a hardware issue,you better take it to nearest apple point and make a full diagnose with genius bar staff.

I doubt it's a hardware issue. The thing has been rock solid for nearly a year. Since it happened within days of updating to iOS 9.0, I'm assuming it's a bug in iOS 9 (which seems pretty buggy).

Makale.Helvetia

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2014
İSTANBUL - TÜRKİYE
I doubt it's a hardware issue. The thing has been rock solid for nearly a year. Since it happened within days of updating to iOS 9.0, I'm assuming it's a bug in iOS 9 (which seems pretty buggy).

i don't have this kernel bug, but your device may be hardware infected, take it to the nearest apple point.

any random reboots / springboard crashes so far? causing by updating apps?

Morac

macrumors 68020
Dec 30, 2009
I haven't noticed any respring updating apps, but then I haven't had a lot of app updates. So far I've just noticed that one kernel panic on my iPad Air 2 and I don't know what triggered that.

Makale.Helvetia

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2014
İSTANBUL - TÜRKİYE
I haven't noticed any respring updating apps, but then I haven't had a lot of app updates. So far I've just noticed that one kernel panic on my iPad Air 2 and I don't know what triggered that.

i don't have any kernel panics, i have only coretime logs and whatsapp badfood logs.that's because it's not compatible with iOS 9 yet :) no app crash,and no springboard crash triggering with app updates, i'll keep an eye on it.

but kernel panic is a different issue and may be triggered with anything else,hardware failure etc.

take your device to apple point and don't remove the logs from diagnostic screen.

PS: i saw a log on my 5s a few days ago, it was ''System Memory Reset'' similar to springboard crash but not.

Last edited:

pacorob

macrumors 68020
Apr 8, 2010
the Netherlands
No resprings yet on my iPad mini2 (and iPhone 5s) both running on iOS9. Keeps fingers crossed.
Bot installed via WIFI/OTA (over the air). I did notice quite a lot of apps (mainly kids apps for my daughter) which no longer open in iOS9 on my Ipad mini2. I hope those apps will soon launch an update.

Polekat

macrumors 6502
Jul 13, 2010
Just thought I'd update. I haven't had Any issues. Since 9.0 and 9.01. Benn hitting update all and have had as many as 30 apps to be updated. No resprings.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.