Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sennekuyl

macrumors regular
Jul 28, 2010
Sorry, not everyone knows everything about the iPhone like you do. This app will be very useful for a lot of people.

How does having Tips app on a skilled users ios device help unskilled users? Notice they didn't ask that there be no Tips app but that it was removable in some form.

shandyman

Suspended
Apr 24, 2010
Dublin, Ireland
How does having Tips app on a skilled users ios device help unskilled users? Notice they didn't ask that there be no Tips app but that it was removable in some form.

Even skilled users don't know everything.... So you never know.

Apple has never allowed stock apps to be removed and that's not changing anytime soon, if ever, all that can be done is to stick it in a folder on a separate screen and be done with it.

downpour

macrumors 6502a
Oct 20, 2009
Google is so much better at flat design....

Sad, but true. Apple is confused...

Could you give an example? Android has always seemed a little thrown together to me, design wise. It reminds me of Linux.

I'm not saying it's terrible, some elements are OK, but iOS7/8 looks more consistent overall.

Jonathan7877

macrumors newbie
Sep 5, 2009
I'm actually really excited for the realtime talk to text feature. I've seen it used on Android and it is so much better than having to wait to see your errors. ;)

downpour

macrumors 6502a
Oct 20, 2009
Even as someone who hates flat design, I think the new Contol Center looks good.

The buttons don't look as good when selected. Mixing black and white in the same icon was a mistake. It breaks the style rules used in the rest of the design.

iHack13

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2009
city of octoberfest
Could you give an example? Android has always seemed a little thrown together to me, design wise. It reminds me of Linux.

I'm not saying it's terrible, some elements are OK, but iOS7/8 looks more consistent overall.

Start at google.com.

Look at the Gmail Icon, News Icon, Play Store Icon

Also check out screenshots from playstore on android devices.
This is what comes to my mind in first place.

However I dont like the performance and scrolling. It just doesnt feel right.

downpour

macrumors 6502a
Oct 20, 2009
Start at google.com.

Look at the Gmail Icon, News Icon, Play Store Icon

Also check out screenshots from playstore on android devices.
This is what comes to my mind in first place.

I quite like the Drive and Calendar icons with the the flat transparent shadows to add 'depth' to the flatness, but while the play icon looks fine on its own, it's a completely different style. The maps icon is different again.

So like I said, no consistency.

babaroga73

macrumors regular
Jan 10, 2014

I counted 7 various fonts on some Android homescreen , 9 if sizes included. How is that Android & design are even in the same sentence ?

pubwvj

macrumors 68000
Oct 1, 2004
Mountains of Vermont
I hope that this tips app represents a sign that Apple feels the operating system has matured to the point where it is worth training the users to the finer details and the controls are going to settle down. Changing so much with each new version is a sign that Apple hasn't got it right yet. Change is not good simply for changes sake. Things need to stabilize.

winston1236

macrumors 68000
Dec 13, 2010
I really, really hate that control center mockup. Why is iOS going in the visual direction of a childs toy?

----------

I counted 7 various fonts on some Android homescreen , 9 if sizes included. How is that Android & design are even in the same sentence ?

Stock Kit Kat is beautiful, what you and most other people don't get is that almost all the phone companies release their own version of Android on their phones, for instance Samsung runs a version they call Touchwiz. So it's kind of hard to say a blanket statement "that all..." when they are not the same.

SMIDG3T

Suspended
Apr 29, 2012
England
Quick Reply - READ

It works, to an extent.

You can type a word and then the spacebar works! After that, it doesn't register correctly.

If it's simply words you need to type and not numbers or symbols you can use it!

SMIDG3T

Suspended
Apr 29, 2012
England
Okay? I don't even have an iOS device. And it's not like I made a big deal about it, minor UI tweaks are not a dealbreaker or anything.

You said it was the worst UI change since the first beta of iOS 7, that's making a big deal out of it.

Sverkel

macrumors regular
Jul 3, 2007
Denmark
Photostream gone?

When I look in the Photos app, "Photostream" is gone? It is still turned on in the settings and I get the photos in iPhoto on my iMac, but when I delete the photo on my iPhone I does not go away on my iMac as before and the other way around. The folder "Photostream" is completely gone in the Photos app.

Also I can't edit the order of my albums anymore?

Anyone else have this problem? Is it a bug or just me who does not understand the new way it works?

Smith288

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2008
Unlock screen buttons (who use a passcode) still has borders as well as the phone dialer. Lacking in the consistency area, apple.

Hurmoth

macrumors newbie
May 12, 2008
Go get a Windows Phone then? Or are you happier keeping a phone that is consistently frustrating you and making angry posts about it?

Forgive me, I didn't realize I couldn't post my opinion about something. From now on I'll check with you before I have anything to complain about. :rolleyes:

isteal

macrumors member
Aug 15, 2012
USA
mail motion is off in beta 4

After I upgraded to beta 4 I noticed the scrolling motion of mail seems way different. Slower & smoother (maybe, I can't put my finger on it). I don't think I am a fan.

antoxicion

macrumors newbie
Jul 31, 2013
USA
Apple, I'm begging you, please make Control Center customizable. I NEVER use the orientation lock, but I do frequently turn cell data and personal hotspot on and off. Thank you.

Is it my devices, or does 'Instant HotSpot' no longer work?

I've tried it now a couple of times and the HotSpot prompts me for a password from iPad to iPhone and vice versa. (note: both are LTE devices and both had cellular data turned off during the testing)

:(

BogdanTokar

macrumors newbie
Jul 22, 2014
On the lock screen when you have a new message you can swipe right and you'll have options to reply or dismiss. Not sure if this is a new feature or what from the previous betas.

BornAgainApple

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2009
Massachusetts
Is it my devices, or does 'Instant HotSpot' no longer work?

I've tried it now a couple of times and the HotSpot prompts me for a password from iPad to iPhone and vice versa. (note: both are LTE devices and both had cellular data turned off during the testing)

:(

I think you just answered your own question. Cellular Data must be turned on for the hotspot to work.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.