Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Virtua1

macrumors member
Mar 27, 2014
While I agree there are aspects of iOS 7 that are aesthetically pleasing, I tend to end up in the "too many wasted white pixels" camp when it comes to design. When thin text, massively simplified icons, and over-extensive white space goes too far, as it seems it is going, the interface becomes devoid of meaning.

The metric I am using is personal, and the time I have spent teaching others simple tasks on iPads has greatly increased since the dawn of iOS 7.

That 'white space' can be made less white if you want. Just go to Settings > General > Accessibility > Increase contrast and turn on Reduce White Point. It makes the white more dark. :p

Ha. I should clarify my using of the term 'white space' to also include all negative space used in the interface design, regardless of color. I have excellent vision, but already use many of the Accessibility settings just for the scrappings of improvements they offer. The best one they have so far is 'button shapes'.

I like the white. In the middle of the night it can be a bit disturbing, but with Auto Brightness on my iPhone makes sure that it's not too bright for me. Overall it just looks fantastic IMO. Also, I don't really find the icons 'simplified'. They might look like that, but it's better than those Android icons. Or even better, the icons from iOS 6 and before. xD

The simplified icons I'm referring to are mostly the ones at the top of Notes, Mail, and Safari for instance. Although the main icons for Photos, FaceTime, and Game Center could use a lot of help. And poor Settings is not the easily recognizable gear it used to be. Now it's like a punk / hair-metal band Mercedes Benz. :rolleyes:

Again, it depends from person to person. Know a lot of people who love the flat design from iOS 7, and I know a lot people who hate it. Well, life goes on, right? :)

If only the rest of the world thought these were their most important problems, we all be better off, eh? :confused:

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
I'm wondering if I should just hold out on 8 until 8.1 comes out. After the mess that was 7.0, I'm not sure I feel like going through all that pain again.

It's just so hard to balance the desire to play with new features with dealing with bugs!!

Planey28

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2010
Birmingham, UK
Sorry, not everyone knows everything about the iPhone like you do. This app will be very useful for a lot of people.

Is there really a reason to be rude like that? Sorry to have offended you somehow...?

It's my phone, and I should be able to hide an app I don't want on the home screen, especially now there's 2 more stock apps to the list.

dannyyankou

macrumors G5
Mar 2, 2012
Westchester, NY
Is there really a reason to be rude like that? Sorry to have offended you somehow...?

It's my phone, and I should be able to hide an app I don't want on the home screen, especially now there's 2 more stock apps to the list.

Not being rude, it's just the truth. I agree you should be able to at least hide it, but it's wrong to call it useless. Useless to you maybe...

Planey28

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2010
Birmingham, UK
Not being rude, it's just the truth. I agree you should be able to at least hide it, but it's wrong to call it useless. Useless to you maybe...

When I called it useless, that is what I meant. I did not claim I spoke for everybody and did in fact put it out there that I could see how this is useful for some people.

Either way I've suggested the ability to hide it via the iPhone feedback forum.

8CoreWhore

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Tejas
Warm

My iPhone 5S is now running warm and using batter faster. I never felt warmth through my case before. Now it's very noticeable.

iTom17

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2013
Eindhoven, the Netherlands
Is it just Yosemite thats getting the dark UI option?

I would love this to be introduced in iOS 8

They might be testing that feature for a later release, though I'd still expect them to tell us about it. But hey, Apple sometimes brings unmentioned new features. That's why it's a beta and say this on Apple's website: 'Features are subject to change.'

Looking forward to the final release, especially if the dark UI option will be made available. Not just because it's better for our eyes, it also looks more beautiful. :p

verniesgarden

macrumors 65816
May 29, 2007
Saint Louis, Mo
Im not? Yet the device i do use it on when i get a text message, not being able to use an entire row of buttons is quite annoying don't ever tell people what they should or shouldn't do w/ something apple unless your name happens to be Steve Jobs but being that he is somewhere more peaceful than this earth and this forum; you take your cynicism elsewhere.

it kind of tells you not to use it as your main device...

are you not a developer?

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Just wanted to pop in and say that I'm glad they finally fixed that atrocious bookmark icon. It lacked clarity. Just looked like some distorted boxes thrown together. Now if they would only clean up a few of the home screen icons then I would be really happy. Although the worst ones are the ones I never use. Better yet, let us disable built-in apps we never use.

I'd also like to be able to put something else at the top of the app switcher. Most-used apps could be useful. Or the current weather, or the timer if it's running (like it shows on the lock screen).

djtech42

macrumors 65816
Jun 23, 2012
Mason, OH
Just wanted to pop in and say that I'm glad they finally fixed that atrocious bookmark icon. It lacked clarity. Just looked like some distorted boxes thrown together.

I wonder if they are going to change the iBooks icon to match the bookmark icon. Otherwise it won't be very consistent...

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Apple let you customize on iOs? Bahahahahaha!
Yeah, the craziness of Apple allowing you different tones for different contacts, or select which contacts you want to get email notifications from, or when you don't want to be disturb, or anything like that...something like that just never happens.

Biedz1216

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2014
My dev Mini is still running Beta 2 - is it known whether the Beta 4 will be available over the air to these devices, or if I'd need to update to Beta 3 first?

You need to handle that. Beta 2 has to expire soon. Beta 3 should have came to your settings>software update on July 7. You will need to update to beta 3 and then 4 I think. When I installed Yosemite on my buddy's computer i had to go from 1 to 3 to get him to beta 3 which was the current beta at the time

xmichaelp

macrumors 68000
Jul 10, 2012
Control Center looks worse, just like pretty much every UI tweak since the first iOS 7 beta. :mad:

icrude

macrumors regular
Dec 29, 2006
I noticed regular text messages (non-imessage) show up on my iPad, that I haven't even updated to beta 4. Am I crazy?

peterdevries

macrumors 68040
Feb 22, 2008
Amsterdam, The Netherlands

Why do you assume that that is your right to do? Is it everyone's right to DEMAND functions that are not available in a given software because they would like to have it included? Should Microsoft disable metro or desktop view because you don't need it? I would like to have an Apple weather and calculator app on iPad, but there isn't. Is it my right to DEMAND it to be included? Don't think so.

No, you use a specific software because it provides the functionality that you need at the correct price point. You can request features through Apple's website at any time, and they are within their rights to ignore you, even if there are thousands asking for the same. If you are not satisfied with what Apple provides you and it is such a burden to your life, than you are free to go elsewhere where they provide these features.

In addition you CAN hide apps. Stick them in a folder and move it to the last single page. You will never see them again.

Last edited:

babaroga73

macrumors regular
Jan 10, 2014
1) Moon mode? It's Do Not Disturb. You can turn it on manually, or set it to a schedule to turn on and turn off. When it's on, your phone will not light up nor make sounds when you receive notifications - ideal for night when you are asleep, or during a meeting, etc. where you do not want your phone lighting up and beeping and such.

2) Full screen call pictures are back. Go into the Info for the contact, and re-select the photo you would like to use. Next time you get a call from that contact, it should be full screen.

1) Oh, I get it now. It's good for those freakin calendar reminders that comes up in midnight

2) I know it's back in 8 beta. But I want it back in iOS7.1.3. or something. I don't want to be blackmailed to upgrade to iOS8 just because of that. I've had it for last 2-3 years, and suddenly (from 7.1.) I don't. It's the matter of principle. And also, hope dies last.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.