Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shandyman

Suspended
Apr 24, 2010
Dublin, Ireland
Well, probably more in the sense of it generating recent contacts on its own without much control over them (as opposed to now when they can at least be disabled).

It's not much different to the phone.app with recents and favourites.....

iPhone 4S can't handle Handoff? That's the most dumbest excuse I've ever heard from Apple if this is true. There is literally no reason why it wouldn't work. Can't handle it my ass. Unless it relies on the same thing that AirDrop uses I guess.

Guessing it's because either BTLE or Wofi Direct is needed.

its not really an issue besides looking like crap for me but lets say you keep getting calls from a female coworker or whatnot and your wife is using your phone she might get suspicious for all those women showing up as your fave callers

That's a lame example lol.

GeneralChang

macrumors 68000
Dec 2, 2013
iPhone 4S can't handle Handoff? That's the most dumbest excuse I've ever heard from Apple if this is true. There is literally no reason why it wouldn't work. Can't handle it my ass. Unless it relies on the same thing that AirDrop uses I guess.

Bluetooth LE. Pretty sure that’s the thing that kills handoff and airdrop functionality on the 4S.

Biedz1216

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2014
They separated wallpaper from display and brightness And now emoticons show up in the QuickType bar instead of just ""

I'll keep updating what I'm noticing.

In yosemite when you reply to a message from the notification the close and send buttons are black not grey.

In yosemite when you handoff safari the bar says "Opening Webpage from Handoff"-----Handoff is damn near flawless at this point

In yosemite when someone else w/ iMessage is typing the cloud "..." shows up here now too

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-07-21 at 4.41.58 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-07-21 at 4.41.58 PM.png
    80.3 KB · Views: 135

Tyler23

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2010
Atlanta, GA
They separated wallpaper from display and brightness And now emoticons show up in the QuickType bar instead of just ""

I'll keep updating what I'm noticing.

In yosemite when you reply to a message from the notification the close and send buttons are black not grey.

In yosemite when you handoff safari the bar says "Opening Webpage from Handoff"-----Handoff is damn near flawless at this point

In yosemite when someone else w/ iMessage is typing the cloud "..." shows up here now too

You might want to post these in the Yosemite subforum, not in iOS 8. :cool:

Hyde

macrumors newbie
Apr 13, 2004
Voice Recognition Mic for Texting now types as you speak and is much faster.

cool. hope they get even better by adding the onboard chip on the 6's.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
It's not much different to the phone.app with recents and favourites.....

Guessing it's because either BTLE or Wofi Direct is needed.

That's a lame example lol.
It's different in the sense that before beta 4 you had no control over the recent contacts there. In the Phone app you can edit Favorites and you can delete recent calls or clear them out completely. Now at least you can turn them off in the multitasking view.

Biedz1216

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2014
Google is so much better at flat design....

Sad, but true. Apple is confused...

lol speak for yourself brother, i love it.

----------

You might want to post these in the Yosemite subforum, not in iOS 8. :cool:

haha I'm just posting everything I'm noticing okay? IDC if its iOS or yosemite, its all apple and the first thing i said was iOS 8 :apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple::apple:

----------

Another stock app that can't be uninstalled. Terrific.

I'm not a Microsoft fanboy at all, but they certainly do it right with Metro, err Modern UI. You can uninstall any stock app you want and if you decide you want it back, just go to the Microsoft Store and redownload it.

Apple is failing those of us that don't want or need the crap that comes preinstalled.

that i TOTALLY agree with.

NMBob

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2007
New Mexico
They've turned down the green in things like the the slider buttons/switches. It used to be that RGB 00FF00, now it's a darker green without any 'extra' display settings turned on (iPad2).

Biedz1216

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2014
Seems odd that they would remove the bug reporting app. Are they convinced there's no bugs left to report? :confused:

idk to me it says either they think there will be much less bug reporting with beta 4 and that devs who need to report bugs can do it the old fashioned way; or like another user had said the app itself was buggy---im leaning towards my idea that they think there will be a lot less bug reporting because all the non-dev users who have it however they have it won't be submitting their "omg whatsapp is crashing" bug and clog up the line for real issues.

----------

Is there a way to turn off the install/open app banner that shows up in Safari when you navigate to a website that also has an app?

its a much better solution now than being automatically directed to the app store/app---so no i don't think so; is it really hard to click an "x" tho :rolleyes::cool::apple::apple::apple:

The Phazer

macrumors 68040
Oct 31, 2007
London, UK
How the hell does someone spend the time to change the bookmark icon in Safari and nobody does anything about the "flat" yellow text with a bloody inner shadow in Notes???

Biedz1216

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2014
How the hell does someone spend the time to change the bookmark icon in Safari and nobody does anything about the "flat" yellow text with a bloody inner shadow in Notes???

lmfao right whose idea was it that that icon within safari needed to be changed???

mKTank

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2010
Another stock app that can't be uninstalled. Terrific.

I'm not a Microsoft fanboy at all, but they certainly do it right with Metro, err Modern UI. You can uninstall any stock app you want and if you decide you want it back, just go to the Microsoft Store and redownload it.

Apple is failing those of us that don't want or need the crap that comes preinstalled.
Go get a Windows Phone then? Or are you happier keeping a phone that is consistently frustrating you and making angry posts about it?

Biedz1216

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2014
It appears that they've slowed down the multitasking switcher again.

In the first three betas, it was very snappy (which was nice), but now it appears that it's back to iOS 7 speed (that's by design: it's much smoother, but the quickness was nice).

i don't know if i quite agree with that.....is there anyway to measure the speed exactly? i DO agree it seems a tad slower than previous betas, but idk if i agree that its back to iOS 7 speed; I'm still breezily switching through my apps

b001ean

macrumors member
Oct 12, 2011
Is anyone having the problem since updating where, when trying to quick reply to a text, they are unable to touch any keys on the bottom of the keyboard?

I can't access numbers, emojis, space bar, et cetera. I'm on a 5S.

macrumors 601
May 19, 2011
I'm a big fan of the new bookmarks icon. Not sure why they felt it was necessary to make it look the same as iBooks the first time around. Looked nothing like a book.

NMBob

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2007
New Mexico
Sure, but the fact that you can never remove it is stupid. Eventually, and within a reasonably short time, any user will seldom if ever access it again. Then it's just so much crap taking up space.

Five whole tips, and one more per week. I really don't get who or what it's for. iPad Secrets. Pretty good app. At apple's rate it's about two years ahead of Apple.

Biedz1216

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2014
Hmm, my Control Center looks different than the screenshot. The Brightness and Volume tracks don't have transparency/vibrancy, they are white. Same with the selected WiFi, Blutooth, Airplane, etc. They are just white circles with a black glyph.

Anyone else missing the transparency/vibrancy?

Try this: Settings>General>Accessibility and verify that you in increase contrast you have reduce transparency off

----------

Is anyone having the problem since updating where, when trying to quick reply to a text, they are unable to touch any keys on the bottom of the keyboard?

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad: god i hoped that was your phone. nope can't tap em

darrenoia

macrumors member
Oct 5, 2012

Yeah just noticed the same on my 5.

kevo0822

macrumors 6502
Jul 13, 2007
New England

Yup, I am... I can hit the space bar, but I can't get to the numbers/symbols keyboard or switch to emoji... it just registers my touches as hitting the key directly above the one I'm actually tapping.

Virtua1

macrumors member
Mar 27, 2014
User interface going to the flat dogs...

Apple fan speaking.
Wouldn't post if I didn't care.

But what does Apple have against buttons?
We have fingers. Fingers press buttons.

Beauty and minimalism are beginning to ruin the UI,
bit by bit. IOS7 was a step in this direction, but the
systematic murder of borders and lines in the design
is making things generally more difficult to use and
figure out quickly.

Now it's more "fumble around the thin text". Press and
swipe until you get it to work. Usability is the U in UI.
Let's get back to intuitive design people. This is not M.O.M.A.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.