Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

syphern

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 15, 2008
hey guys hows the performance on the new beta? I have a 5s in specific... better daily driver? Beta 4 was bad...

Reactions: g35

g35

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2007
Hey, everyone. The earlier iOS 9 developer beta was draining battery at a rate of 1% every minute or two. It was fast enough that you could notice significant battery usage in 5-10 minutes of using the phone. That's the main reason this thread took off for iOS 9 developer beta 3.

Nobody is expecting a report of "I got 1 week of standby" by this time. But if it had a significant battery usage issue like the earliest developer beta (1 or 2, can't remember), it would be completely obvious even this early. On top of that, the phones were heating up significantly. Do you need a week to process the idea of "phone=hot?"

I never start these threads or really post in them but I would still like to know if beta 5 had been churning through someone's battery in the last hour or two.

Don't you all get tired of making the same old joke every two weeks?

imagineadam

macrumors 68000
Jan 19, 2011
I suppose their primary concerns are just getting all the basic new features working right and stable and they will tweak and smooth out performance before the GM. (Fingers crossed)

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Hey, everyone. The earlier iOS 9 developer beta was draining battery at a rate of 1% every minute or two. It was fast enough that you could notice significant battery usage in 5-10 minutes of using the phone. That's the main reason this thread took off for iOS 9 developer beta 3.

Nobody is expecting a report of "I got 1 week of standby" by this time. But if it had a significant battery usage issue like the earliest developer beta (1 or 2, can't remember), it would be completely obvious even this early. On top of that, the phones were heating up significantly. Do you need a week to process the idea of "phone=hot?"

I never start these threads or really post in them but I would still like to know if beta 5 had been churning through someone's battery in the last hour or two.

Don't you all get tired of making the same old joke every two weeks?
Some people have that after a new install for a few hours or even a day or so, but then things get normalized. So even that isn't really an indicator of much until a few days/charging cycles.

lagwagon

Suspended
Oct 12, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Really the half second-2 second delay is gone when launching apps sometimes?

Like batting1000 said its like half a second (so really non existent)

For me this new beta is crazy fast. App Switcher, loading apps from fresh, swiping, scrolling. All very fast and best it's ever been on any iOS/iPhone I've owned (started with 3G and had 4, 5 and now 6)

Reactions: Keane16 and antnee

imagineadam

macrumors 68000
Jan 19, 2011
It's getting there...it's a small step behind 8.4. I was just pointing out not to waste your time going from b5 to PB3 because they are identical builds, just different names.
I can live with a half second delay before apps will spring open after first touching them. Even 8.4 still does this sometimes. The delay first started with iOS 8 and it has never gone completely away but I noticed it was super extended with the first few iOS 9 betas. iOS 7 and before never had this. Whatever they have done "under the hood" since those days have regressed simple springboard performance. Hopefully by GM we are back to instant launching of apps and no hesitation. :)

imagineadam

macrumors 68000
Jan 19, 2011
Like batting1000 said its like half a second (so really non existent)

For me this new beta is crazy fast. App Switcher, loading apps from fresh, swiping, scrolling. All very fast and best it's ever been on any iOS/iPhone I've owned (started with 3G and had 4, 5 and now 6)
Better than an iPhone 5 on iOS 6? I must download to see this?! (I've had a iPhone 4, 5 and 6)

Sumter

macrumors 6502
May 21, 2014
Can't say anything about battery life yet because it's too early, but so far the performance on my 6 Plus is very good. No more stutters or lags, smooth gestures, fast app openings. Some annoying glitches I experienced in a few apps are now gone. So far satisfied. I'll post again after a few days on battery life.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.