Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

imagineadam

macrumors 68000
Jan 19, 2011
Not that this matters much, but there is a slight improvement in Geekbench scores too.
63917cc62177a4dc63ee43240f801013.jpg
Hmm that's still a little slower than my 6 on 8.4. Hopefully it's truly faster on the GM.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    117.5 KB · Views: 147

GreyOS

macrumors 68040
Apr 12, 2012
Hmm that's still a little slower than my 6 on 8.4. Hopefully it's truly faster on the GM.
I get 1604 and 2743 on iOS 9 B5, so unless my phone is defective it's probably better to compare iOS scores on the same device

Edit: new to geek bench, the thing seems very variable. Just got 1618/2906!?

SMIDG3T

Suspended
Apr 29, 2012
England
Because it's a beta. The performance and battery life are gradually coming. There's still at least 1 more beta left and that's BEFORE the GM.
this seems silly. literally only 4 features for iOS 9 were featured on the keynote.
battery and performance was one of them.
why advertise it, if its not true???
Yeah. There's probably something still running in the background that reduces the battery the way is does. However, I'm at 58% and I started using my phone at 0800 and I have Bluetooth on, have been viewing Safari a lot and streaming music.

As for performance, it's not until the very end (last beta or GM) we'll see true speeds as, again, things are still running in the background.

Beta 5 has been very good for me so far.

Last edited:

GreyOS

macrumors 68040
Apr 12, 2012
I reckon one way the GM is likely to improve battery life is the removal of the Feedback app - currently responsible for 15% of battery use in the last 24 hours :D

Reactions: Shirasaki

eicca

Suspended
Oct 23, 2014
No official comments on battery yet with my iPhone 5 A6, but I didn't notice any out-of-the-ordinary drainage between the time I installed it and the time I went to bed. As far as stability, I'm perfectly confident using it as a daily driver. None of my apps have crashed yet and it runs 90% smooth. I can't wait to see how the final release performs.

nathanalf

macrumors regular
Mar 13, 2014
Wisconsin
I installed PB3 on my 6 Plus yesterday afternoon, and have to say this fixes 99% of the issues I was having with the PB2. There was this weird rotation issue (if an app or the home screen rotated to a different orientation it would lag really bad...), apps would hang for a few seconds before finally loading, camera lag issues, etc etc.

So far PB3 seems solid and smooth. No more lag (that I've run into yet) but will have to see how battery life goes today.

Also, was very happy/surprised to see that something I submitted a feedback report for was fixed (PB2 in the app switcher you could not interact with the furthest back app that was blurred. PB3 adjusted the spacing of how the apps are laid out in the app switcher, and made any apps visible on screen interactive)

naasrd

macrumors 6502
Apr 30, 2008
Dublin, Ireland
I reckon one way the GM is likely to improve battery life is the removal of the Feedback app - currently responsible for 15% of battery use in the last 24 hours :D

FaceBook, Twitter and Skype can be battery hogs in the background. Certainly a 10-25% drain over the length of a day.

GreyOS

macrumors 68040
Apr 12, 2012
FaceBook, Twitter and Skype can be battery hogs in the background. Certainly a 10-25% drain over the length of a day.
I said the Feedback app, just to be clear! I've been submitting a fair bit of feedback...

happyhippo1337

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2013
So far battery life has gone down for me from PB2, while performance has gotten significantly better! (5s)

I second this. Noticed good performance on my 6+, however battery life is a complete disaster for me. Even with almost no apps installed and everything in the multitask switcher closed, I burned through 72% in 3 hours with an hour of sot. Never had any battery issues on the 6+ before.

Reactions: nordique

imagineadam

macrumors 68000
Jan 19, 2011
Here's what I get usually with my i6 (8.4) when I'm on wifi all day and surfing the web. This is all on screen time too maybe like 5-10 minutes without. Brightness under 50% all day. Can some of you post a full days use (100% down to almost dead or like 5 or 10%) of the new public beta battery life with mostly onscreen time? Thanks!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    134 KB · Views: 256

nerdriot

macrumors regular
May 16, 2015
Yeah sometimes a background task could run at the same time as the benchmark and skew the results.
That's true. When I ran it last night, I left all apps I use in the background (with background app refresh on). I wonder if shutting all of them down and retesting would give more consistent scores.

GreyOS

macrumors 68040
Apr 12, 2012
That's true. When I ran it last night, I left all apps I use in the background (with background app refresh on). I wonder if shutting all of them down and retesting would give more consistent scores.
i closed all apps just before my first test, which got a lower than average score. there is a chance some tasks were still executing to dispose things neatly. when i re-ran a couple of minutes later it went up to average

Plus not all background tasks will be from apps. Can't predict what the OS is doing, so the tests will always vary from time to time I guess

nerdriot

macrumors regular
May 16, 2015
i closed all apps just before my first test, which got a lower than average score. there is a chance some tasks were still executing to dispose things neatly. when i re-ran a couple of minutes later it went up to average

Plus not all background tasks will be from apps. Can't predict what the OS is doing, so the tests will always vary from time to time I guess
Yeah that is true, good point. I love the idea of benchmark testing, but it seems like you're guaranteed to have varying results. At least it gives you a general idea though. My results so far have shown that it's still slightly behind 8.4, but this isn't the GM so I expected that.

Reactions: GreyOS

Apple blogger

macrumors 6502a
Feb 28, 2013
The performance for me is not that bad... But the battery life sucks... It's like going down 1% every 3-4 minutes... And that's really bad cause in iOS 8.3 it was really good.. On a 5s (my usage was very low)... I could go without charging my phone for 1.5 days sometimes... But currently.. Usage is only 1.5 hrs and battery is already halved.

Reactions: nordique

krabbenharry

macrumors member
Aug 7, 2013
Germany
Performance is faaar better than beta 4, battery is still mediocre.
Power Save Mode was On the whole time. Doesn't look good.

rKIGGez.jpg

lagwagon

Suspended
Oct 12, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
I said the Feedback app, just to be clear! I've been submitting a fair bit of feedback...

The feedback app doesn't get removed in GM though :p

You have to remove the profile to remove feedback app. But even then one would probably not be using the feedback app much on a release version anyways, so why bother. Leave it on so you can get 9.1 beta when that starts up.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.