Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Are you upgrading to iOS 9 ?

• Yes

Votes: 362 75.7%
  • No, I'm sticking with iOS 8 or earlier

Votes: 39 8.2%
  • I will try the iOS 9 public beta first.

Votes: 46 9.6%
  • I'm waiting for iOS 9.1

Votes: 4 0.8%
  • iOS 9.2

Votes: 7 1.5%
  • iOS 9.3

Votes: 20 4.2%

• Total voters

SoYoung

macrumors 65816
Jul 3, 2015
so basicaly my ipad 4 get nothing and its just like the iphone upgrade. Only 3 years and I feel like my ipad is extremely dated now. Very disapointed.

George Waseem

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 2, 2015
so basicaly my ipad 4 get nothing and its just like the iphone upgrade. Only 3 years and I feel like my ipad is extremely dated now. Very disapointed.
The iPad 4 is not outdated it's just a little old, many iPads got the multitasking feature and some didn't get it, the iPad 4 is not that new and not that old, actually it's one of the most luckiest iPads. iPad 3 which was released 7 months before the iPad 4 didn't get Continuity / Handoff / Proactive / AirDrop, iPad air is not going to get new features soon after newer iPads are released, it's an Apple concept. I have an iPad 4 and iOS 9 did save my iPad, iOS 8 was terrible.

ashindnile

macrumors 6502
Jul 16, 2015
Hey. Nice post. I'm just confused why the iPad mini 3 beat out the iPad mini 2 in terms of performance. They have the same processor and clock speed. If anything the iPad air 1 should beat out the former 2.
Yet the mini 3 has a 9/10 and the other A7 devices have 8.
Any reason?

George Waseem

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 2, 2015
Hey. Nice post. I'm just confused why the iPad mini 3 beat out the iPad mini 2 in terms of performance. They have the same processor and clock speed. If anything the iPad air 1 should beat out the former 2.
Yet the mini 3 has a 9/10 and the other A7 devices have 8.
Any reason?
Look, it's always an apple plan, have u seen devices before iOS 7, they all had the same performance, no one actually felt any difference between an iPad 2 and iPad 4 in performance running iOS 6. The only difference was in GPU power. Apple woke up with iOS 7 to make a new plan with each upgrade which is to make the device slower to force you to buy the newest devices available in the apple store, it's a technique, I have an iPad 4 which had an extraordinary performance with iOS 6 and iOS 7, iOS 8 was terrible, iOS 9 saved it a bit. Apple is also always managing to always making the mini iPads (1,2,3) performance' just little slow compared to a large or full size iPad as all the iPad minis are kinda cheaper than the iPad 4, Air, Air 2, for example, my brother has a first gen iPad mini which was released with the iPad 4 that I have, with iOS 6 the performance of the mini was excellent, iOS 7 was perfect and unfortunately as a part of Apple plan, Apple may no longer support it after iOS 9 as they managed to lower the performance capabilities to show people that they should upgrade and that ur device no longer works. Same here with mini 2 and mini 3, both are 99% same but the plan should support the newest, so Apple just left off the iPad mini 2 and is trying now to show people that it is incapable of running the latest iOS perfectly. I tried it at a nearby electronics store and it feels so slow that i compared it with my iPad (4) and i found that the (4) knocked it off in performance. Apple won't stop ruining our devices until we take a serious step which is too try the OS first then think if it's ok with your iDevice or not, if not many people should think about not upgrading to the latest OS and force it to make our devices shine again with newer upgrades. I'm glad u asked this question cause we buy some devices with a very high price, it's stays ok for 2 years then gets very bad and we think of upgrading. I know it's a very long post many users are reading right now, but our devices should get good support from Apple. I'm not a fan of Samsung but their devices don't slow down even after 6 years if usage. this is an electronic device not a chair. Sorry for writing a long passage. :)

oldmacs

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2010
Australia
Apple is providing limited support for iPhone 4S and all A5 devices because they are getting unsupported next year.

Well we don't yet know whether or not iOS 10 will support A5 devices or not. It looks probable that its a no, but at the same time over half the iPad installed base is on an A5 device.

George Waseem

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 2, 2015
Well we don't yet know whether or not iOS 10 will support A5 devices or not. It looks probable that its a no, but at the same time over half the iPad installed base is on an A5 device.
I think maybe they should support all the devices 6 years like the iPad 2, 4 or 5 years for an iPad mini which was just released 2 and half years ago won't be enough and also won't be fair, also knowing that the first gen iPad mini comprises about 20% of all iPads while the iPad 2 comprises about 17 of all iPads. All iPads have the ability to run any iOS, but it's just Apple that controls every thing.

oldmacs

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2010
Australia
Look, it's always an apple plan, have u seen devices before iOS 7, they all had the same performance, no one actually felt any difference between an iPad 2 and iPad 4 in performance running iOS 6. The only difference was in GPU power. Apple woke up with iOS 7 to make a new plan with each upgrade which is to make the device slower to force you to buy the newest devices available in the apple store, it's a technique, I have an iPad 4 which had an extraordinary performance with iOS 6 and iOS 7, iOS 8 was terrible, iOS 9 saved it a bit. Apple is also always managing to always making the mini iPads (1,2,3) performance' just little slow compared to a large or full size iPad as all the iPad minis are kinda cheaper than the iPad 4, Air, Air 2, for example, my brother has a first gen iPad mini which was released with the iPad 4 that I have, with iOS 6 the performance of the mini was excellent, iOS 7 was perfect and unfortunately as a part of Apple plan, Apple may no longer support it after iOS 9 as they managed to lower the performance capabilities to show people that they should upgrade and that ur device no longer works. Same here with mini 2 and mini 3, both are 99% same but the plan should support the newest, so Apple just left off the iPad mini 2 and is trying now to show people that it is incapable of running the latest iOS perfectly. I tried it at a nearby electronics store and it feels so slow that i compared it with my iPad (4) and i found that the (4) knocked it off in performance. Apple won't stop ruining our devices until we take a serious step which is too try the OS first then think if it's ok with your iDevice or not, if not many people should think about not upgrading to the latest OS and force it to make our devices shine again with newer upgrades. I'm glad u asked this question cause we buy some devices with a very high price, it's stays ok for 2 years then gets very bad and we think of upgrading. I know it's a very long post many users are reading right now, but our devices should get good support from Apple. I'm not a fan of Samsung but their devices don't slow down even after 6 years if usage. this is an electronic device not a chair. Sorry for writing a long passage. :)

I'm not sure that Apple actually do this. Newer software is always going to be demanding on hardware, and to be honest A5 devices have had it relatively easy. iOS 4 on the 3G was abysmal compared to say iOS 8 on the 4S.

iOS 6 on an iPad 4 was slightly faster than on the iPad 2, and it was slightly noticeable but it wasn't massive difference. I'd say this was down to the fact that both devices far exceeded what was needed to run iOS 6 well. Some iPads do age better than others. The iPad 2 did pretty well due to the fact that the iPad 3 was actually slower than it, and that Apple was still introducing new products based on it right up to the end of 2012.

iOS 8 is a poorly optimised OS so it doesn't run amazingly well on anything other than the iPad Air 2, but the iPad 4 runs it well enough, and sometimes better than the Air 1 from my experience.

The Mini 2 and 3 if restored and not from a backup on an identical version of iOS will perform the same. Perhaps slight variations occur in the software that cause minimal differences but nothing too major. I do think that Apple at times will optimise software more on one device than another. iOS 8 definitely runs better on an iPad Mini 1 vs an iPad 2, and I'd assume because the iPad Mini was still for sale when iOS 8 came out, that Apple put more time into that build.

From my point of view, Apple is good enough to provide us with updates to devices. Devices like the 4S and the iPad 2 have aged far better than their predecessors. My iPad 2 has lasted quite well and I'm happy enough with it under iOS 8 and I look forward to iOS 9.

Last edited:

oldmacs

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2010
Australia
I think maybe they should support all the devices 6 years like the iPad 2, 4 or 5 years for an iPad mini which was just released 2 and half years ago won't be enough and also won't be fair, also knowing that the first gen iPad mini comprises about 20% of all iPads while the iPad 2 comprises about 17 of all iPads. All iPads have the ability to run any iOS, but it's just Apple that controls every thing.

It depends where you look for device share. The iPad 2 exceeds the Mini 1 in some places and sometimes the other way around. All in all, they are the same device in different packaging, so I think if one is supported the other should also be.

There shouldn't be any arbitrary "x years of support" or "x versions of support". It should really be what Apple can make work reasonably well + a judgment based on how many people are still on the device and how long its been since that device was sold.

ashindnile

macrumors 6502
Jul 16, 2015
@George Waseem
Dude. It still doesn't make sense. Both have the exact same processor, same clock speed(in fact the Air has a higher clock speed) but the fact remains that they have the SAME internals.
What you're talking about is forced antiquation that companies practice to get people to buy their newest.
But I don't think Apple would go out of their way to throttle the same cpu on a model which is practically the same.
I think you just went by the number and don't have any substance to your claim.
I agree when you say iOS 6 and 7 were tremendously faster. That being said the reason for iOS 8's fall in performance is due to apples implementation of full end to end encryption on their devices.
Google made the same promise and delivered it with nexus 6&9 but they lagged so bad they went back on their promise and android is still not encrypted, but iOS is.
Despite all this they're working to give old devices updates and have no compulsion to do it.
So please update this post with right figures. There's no way mini 3 is in line with the iPhone 6 range in terms of performance for that matter. If the iPad mini 2 and Air are 8/10, so is mini 3.
I still think of how tremendously iOS 7.1 improved the iPhone 4's performance. I don't think this is apples way of making devices seem obsolete, rather than keeping features set aside for newer devices. That's more compelling, because it doesn't make anyone feel like they have to jump platforms.

George Waseem

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 2, 2015
I'm not sure that Apple actually do this. Newer software is always going to be demanding on hardware, and to be honest A5 devices have had it relatively easy. iOS 4 on the 3G was abysmal compared to say iOS 8 on the 4S.

iOS 6 on an iPad 4 was slightly faster than on the iPad 2, and it was slightly noticeable. Some iPads do age better than others. The iPad 2 did pretty well due to the fact that the iPad 3 was actually slower than it, and that Apple was still introducing new products based on it right up to the end of 2012.

iOS 8 is a poorly optimised OS so it doesn't run amazingly well on anything other than the iPad Air 2, but the iPad 4 runs it well enough, and sometimes better than the Air 1 from my experience.

The Mini 2 and 3 if restored and not from a backup on an identical version of iOS will perform the same. Perhaps slight variations occur in the software that cause minimal differences but nothing too major. I do think that Apple at times will optimise software more on one device than another. iOS 8 definitely runs better on an iPad Mini 1 vs an iPad 2, and I'd assume because the iPad Mini was still for sale when iOS 8 came out, that Apple put more time into that build.

From my point of view, Apple is good enough to provide us with updates to devices. Devices like the 4S and the iPad 2 have aged far better than their predecessors. My iPad 2 has lasted quite well and I'm happy enough with it under iOS 8 and I look forward to iOS 9.

I agree with u that some iPads run iOS well but Apple is a huge company that till now is one of the 5 richest companies in the world. Apple sells devices for a high price point and support them for a couple of years. I don't mean that they would just add some more years of support, I mean that the support should be good on all the supported devices on each OS. I mean the devices should run iOS beautifully to make people not being forced to get the latest devices. Focusing on the design and the feature of a product would really help people choosing devices not by the system, by the look and the new technologies that are packed into the device.

richwoodrocket

macrumors 68020
Apr 7, 2014
Buffalo, NY
My iPhone 5c update was 1.2 GB

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1437065567.908047.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1437065567.908047.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 216

oldmacs

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2010
Australia
I agree with u that some iPads run iOS well but Apple is a huge company that till now is one of the 5 richest companies in the world. Apple sells devices for a high price point and support them for a couple of years. I don't mean that they would just add some more years of support, I mean that the support should be good on all the supported devices on each OS. I mean the devices should run iOS beautifully to make people not being forced to get the latest devices. Focusing on the design and the feature of a product would really help people choosing devices not by the system, by the look and the new technologies that are packed into the device.

I think the problem is that iOS 8 was truly a terribly a rush job of an OS. The fact it lags and jitters on A7 iPads is a good indicator of its many many issues. Yes iOS should run well on the devices it supports, I think a company with Apple's money should be able to achieve this. Hopefully though, iOS 9 will fix a lot of these issues.

George Waseem

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 2, 2015
@George Waseem
Dude. It still doesn't make sense. Both have the exact same processor, same clock speed(in fact the Air has a higher clock speed) but the fact remains that they have the SAME internals.
What you're talking about is forced antiquation that companies practice to get people to buy their newest.
But I don't think Apple would go out of their way to throttle the same cpu on a model which is practically the same.
I think you just went by the number and don't have any substance to your claim.
I agree when you say iOS 6 and 7 were tremendously faster. That being said the reason for iOS 8's fall in performance is due to apples implementation of full end to end encryption on their devices.
Google made the same promise and delivered it with nexus 6&9 but they lagged so bad they went back on their promise and android is still not encrypted, but iOS is.
Despite all this they're working to give old devices updates and have no compulsion to do it.
So please update this post with right figures. There's no way mini 3 is in line with the iPhone 6 range in terms of performance for that matter. If the iPad mini 2 and Air are 8/10, so is mini 3.
I still think of how tremendously iOS 7.1 improved the iPhone 4's performance. I don't think this is apples way of making devices seem obsolete, rather than keeping features set aside for newer devices. That's more compelling, because it doesn't make anyone feel like they have to jump platforms.

I've tried the performance on most of the devices and I feel a huge difference between mini 2 and mini 3 as the apple gives the best to the latest iPad and it goes on on every single iPad.

George Waseem

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 2, 2015
I think the problem is that iOS 8 was truly a terribly a rush job of an OS. The fact it lags and jitters on A7 iPads is a good indicator of its many many issues. Yes iOS should run well on the devices it supports, I think a company with Apple's money should be able to achieve this. Hopefully though, iOS 9 will fix a lot of these issues.
Yes I've tried iOS 9 and it actually improves the iPad a bit. It gave me a sign that there is hope behind every iDevice.

Reactions: oldmacs

oldmacs

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2010
Australia
I've tried the performance on most of the devices and I feel a huge difference between mini 2 and mini 3 as the apple gives the best to the latest iPad and it goes on on every single iPad.

Are you running them on clean installs without restores from backups? It can make a world of difference to speed.

oldmacs

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2010
Australia
Yes, I run them after clean installs.

So completely clean installs with no restores from backup or installation of apps or anything? And you've run them side by side?

I know that sometimes if I compare two iOS devices separately (not side by side) sometimes a placebo effect can kick in and skew my perception.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.