Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Are you upgrading to iOS 9 ?

• Yes

Votes: 362 75.7%
  • No, I'm sticking with iOS 8 or earlier

Votes: 39 8.2%
  • I will try the iOS 9 public beta first.

Votes: 46 9.6%
  • I'm waiting for iOS 9.1

Votes: 4 0.8%
  • iOS 9.2

Votes: 7 1.5%
  • iOS 9.3

Votes: 20 4.2%

• Total voters

oldmacs

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2010
Australia
Dude, you are a user just being jealous of the iPad mini 3. iPad mini 3 did only add the touch ID, but Apple made the performance better to convince users but it, they slowed down the mini 1 and mini 2 to make people think about getting the mini 3 or air 2

This is false. How is iOS 8 going to maintain the same performance on devices that are underpowered (Mini 1). The iPad Mini 2 also has not been slowed, it runs iOS 8 the same as the Mini 3. You can't say Apple is purposely slowing device to make them buy new ones, by using an early iOS 9 beta as your example.

The iPad Mini 2 and 3 are identical except for the Touch ID sensor.

Reactions: benji888

oldmacs

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2010
Australia
For a matter of fact, the iPad mini has the same chip as the iPad 2 but performs a little better because the iPad mini is newer.

iPhone 5 performs a bit behind the iPhone 5C as the 5C is newer.

Same with iPad mini 2 and mini 3
The mini 2 was criticized for being slower than the iPhone 5S which has the exact same internals with iOS 7,8,9.

For example, If I have an iPad mini 2 and I'm thinking about getting the latest iPad mini 3, I need REASONS for me to make me interested in the iPad mini 3, to make me interested Apple slows down the iPad mini 2 with an iOS update then I would try the iPad mini 3 and see that the performance would be better.

The 5 and 5C perform the same and get a nearly identical geek bench score.

The Mini 2 is OF COURSE going to be less fluid than the 5S, it is pushing MORE pixels than the 5S. However it is the same as the Mini 3 in iOS 8. Stop using iOS 9 as evidence that apple is slowing the Mini 2 to move sales of the Mini 3, because iOS 9 is ages away.

George Waseem

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 2, 2015
This is false. How is iOS 8 going to maintain the same performance on devices that are underpowered (Mini 1). The iPad Mini 2 also has not been slowed, it runs iOS 8 the same as the Mini 3. You can't say Apple is purposely slowing device to make them buy new ones, by using an early iOS 9 beta as your example.

The iPad Mini 2 and 3 are identical except for the Touch ID sensor.

I've tried them, and the iPad mini 2 nearly feels like iPad mini 1 except for a little better animations.

So, pls don't differentiate them cause Apple is preparing to throw the iPad mini 2 away.

George Waseem

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 2, 2015

The Mini 2 is OF COURSE going to be less fluid than the 5S, it is pushing MORE pixels than the 5S. However it is the same as the Mini 3 in iOS 8. Stop using iOS 9 as evidence that apple is slowing the Mini 2 to move sales of the Mini 3, because iOS 9 is ages away.

For some devices, the difference is not that serious, but the mini 2 feels bad. I hope that iOS 9 improve the iPad mini 2 performance.

oldmacs

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2010
Australia
I've tried them, and the iPad mini 2 nearly feels like iPad mini 1 except for a little better animations.

So, pls don't differentiate them cause Apple is preparing to throw the iPad mini 2 away.

You must have a problem with your iPad Mini 2. Simple as that. You do understand that iOS 9 is in beta right? If iOS 8 was different on the iPad Mini 2 and 3 I'd give credit to your argument, but its not, just like the shipping version of iOS 9 will almost certainly be, once they've finished optimising it.

Apple is not preparing to "throw the mini away". I'd put my money on the iPad Mini 2 sticking around longer than the 3 anyway, based on Apple's history.

Last edited:

oldmacs

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2010
Australia
For some devices, the difference is not that serious, but the mini 2 feels bad. I hope that iOS 9 improve the iPad mini 2 performance.

Yes, this is to be expected when Apple has not had the chance to improve performance in a DEVELOPER PREVIEW. You can't judge final performance off a beta that is not meant for consumers but for developers. Performance improvements and optimisations will come.

benji888

macrumors 68000
Sep 27, 2006
United States

I call utter B.S. ... just because you've "tried them" does not mean you have a definitive performance evaluation. You have to spend time with a device, not just try them. Do a search and read the extensive tests and reviews on the Mini 2 and Mini 3 and you will find there is no difference in performance.

IF Apple drops the iPad Mini 2 this year, it will only happen if they introduce a 4th gen. Mini, and, because the only difference between 2 & 3 is Touch ID, and they will likely, IMO, drop all iOS devices that don't have Touch ID by end of year. If I am wrong, then, by end of next year.

Again, I own the iPad Mini 1, and, while iOS 8.0-8.1 or so was a tad slower, 8.3 & 8.4 have performed better. AND, once bugs are worked out, iOS 9 will prove to be a bit better on performance from what I have experienced, THUS FAR.

benji888

macrumors 68000
Sep 27, 2006
United States
While the iPad 2 and iPad mini don't share all the same components ( eg 2012 wifi, Bluetooth etc), in terms of specifications that matter for performance, the mini 1 and iPad 2 share the same processor and Ram, the one real difference is that the iPad 2 has more pixels to push thus putting more strain on the GPU and higher usage of the ram by the GPU, but that difference wouldn't be huge.

Technically, the only thing that is the same is the A5 chip & RAM, ALL of the rest of the internals are late-2012. I did a lot of investigating before getting the iPad Mini (1st gen.) in November of 2013. For me, it was a significant upgrade from the original iPad. The iPad 2 screen resolution is 1024x768, the iPad Mini has the exact same screen resolution, but, in a thinner, more efficient 7.9" instead of 9.7". Neither are retina, but the last non-retina iPad models. Because of the more efficient screen and electronics, the Mini is slightly more responsive than the iPad 2. Because the Mini has BT4.0 over iPad 2's BT2.1 it has more features. The Mini cellular models also do LTE, while iPad 2 does not, and Mini has better cameras, Lightning connector over 30-pin, so, no, they are not the same.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Yes, this is to be expected when Apple has not had the chance to improve performance in a DEVELOPER PREVIEW. You can't judge final performance off a beta that is not meant for consumers but for developers. Performance improvements and optimisations will come.
In that case the question is when. They have to be in some betas before it's too close to the release so that they can be evaluated in some way, right?

danleon950410

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2015
Bogotá, Colombia
Go to ifixit.com to find out just how exactly alike the iPad Mini 2 & 3 are. I'm tired of this nonsense.

I own the iPad Mini 1st gen. It DOES NOT HAVE the same internals as the early 2011 iPad 2, the only thing that is the same is the A5 chip, all of the surrounding electronics are from late 2012, same as iPhone 5, including BT4.0, which iPad 2 does not have, thus the ability to do all of continuity & handoff and AirDrop...iPad 2 does not do AirDrop. In fact, the Mini has the same screen resolution as the iPad 2, but in a smaller, thinner, more efficient display, so, it consumes less power and has a smaller battery. The iPad 2 & iPad Mini are entirely different, and are too often compared by reviewers as if they are the same, except for screen size. The iPad Mini 2 & 3, however, get the exact same results from tests because the only difference is Touch ID.

The iPhone 5 & 5c: same internals, different form factor, but, again, go to ifixit.com, the only difference w/5c internals is with the LTE/networking chip (more LTE bands), it performs the same in tests. 5s, on the other hand, is faster.

Nope, this is totally not true, Apple changed nothing with the iPad Mini 3 except to add Touch ID.

I stand corrected on the surrounding electronics, but the A5 chip (RAM and Processor) is the only one in charge of performance.

As for the features, the fact unsupported jailbroken devices were able to run Siri, Airdrop and Handoff determined that this is a lie.
WITHOUT ANY PROBLEM, MAY I ADD.

danleon950410

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2015
Bogotá, Colombia

We will use/You will use the GM of iOS 9 as the definitive evidence. 'till then, in doesn't matter what anyone (you or me) says, this remains inconclusive.

danleon950410

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2015
Bogotá, Colombia
Technically, the only thing that is the same is the A5 chip & RAM, ALL of the rest of the internals are late-2012. I did a lot of investigating before getting the iPad Mini (1st gen.) in November of 2013. For me, it was a significant upgrade from the original iPad. The iPad 2 screen resolution is 1024x768, the iPad Mini has the exact same screen resolution, but, in a thinner, more efficient 7.9" instead of 9.7". Neither are retina, but the last non-retina iPad models. Because of the more efficient screen and electronics, the Mini is slightly more responsive than the iPad 2. Because the Mini has BT4.0 over iPad 2's BT2.1 it has more features. The Mini cellular models also do LTE, while iPad 2 does not, and Mini has better cameras, Lightning connector over 30-pin, so, no, they are not the same.

As i said before, you can't talk about features. Jailbreak tweaks enabled Airdrop and Handoff in A5 devices perfectly. With absolutely no problem. They worked as they do in other devices. Google it if you want.

And we didn't say they were the same, the head of performance is the same, that's what we actually said.

danleon950410

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2015
Bogotá, Colombia
I call utter B.S. ... just because you've "tried them" does not mean you have a definitive performance evaluation. You have to spend time with a device, not just try them. Do a search and read the extensive tests and reviews on the Mini 2 and Mini 3 and you will find there is no difference in performance.

IF Apple drops the iPad Mini 2 this year, it will only happen if they introduce a 4th gen. Mini, and, because the only difference between 2 & 3 is Touch ID, and they will likely, IMO, drop all iOS devices that don't have Touch ID by end of year. If I am wrong, then, by end of next year.

Again, I own the iPad Mini 1, and, while iOS 8.0-8.1 or so was a tad slower, 8.3 & 8.4 have performed better. AND, once bugs are worked out, iOS 9 will prove to be a bit better on performance from what I have experienced, THUS FAR.

What the hell do you think betas are for? To test how the device performs or for you to only goof around?
Very nice of you calling B.S. on the work of others, but as far as i can tell, you don't have the device either, so what the hell are you arguing about with such anger?

"You have to spend time with a device, not just try them. Do a search and read the extensive tests and reviews on the Mini 2 and Mini 3 and you will find there is no difference in performance."

IN OTHER WORDS:
"You haven't spent a month with the device on iOS 9, but YouTubers with a beta installed three days ago are totally more believable than you and your performance opinion, because f**k logic and the fact that betas are updated every two weeks, i hate you, BS BS BS"

...seriously?
You might have a point, but you should argue more clearly...
Remember, "Our own blades can cut ourselves"

benji888

macrumors 68000
Sep 27, 2006
United States
What the hell do you think betas are for? To test how the device performs or for you to only goof around?
Very nice of you calling B.S. on the work of others, but as far as i can tell, you don't have the device either, so what the hell are you arguing about with such anger?

"You have to spend time with a device, not just try them. Do a search and read the extensive tests and reviews on the Mini 2 and Mini 3 and you will find there is no difference in performance."

IN OTHER WORDS:
"You haven't spent a month with the device on iOS 9, but YouTubers with a beta installed three days ago are totally more believable than you and your performance opinion, because f**k logic and the fact that betas are updated every two weeks, i hate you, BS BS BS"

...seriously?
You might have a point, but you should argue more clearly...
Remember, "Our own blades can cut ourselves"
I was actually not referring to you, but, to the OP's opinion that the mini 2 was somehow crippled w/iOS 9 beta compared to the mini 3...he said he checked it out and it was pretty much like a mini 1.

As far as jailbreaking, well, that's all fine, but, most ppl. don't jailbreak. And, AirDrop does not work with BT2, perhaps you mean, jailbreak it and use some other app that works like AirDrop. In any case, the iPad Mini 1st gen. has been doing AirDrop since iOS 7.0, it has an A5, but, AirDrop needs BT4.0 to work, which the iPad 2 does not have.

danleon950410

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2015
Bogotá, Colombia
I was actually not referring to you, but, to the OP's opinion that the mini 2 was somehow crippled w/iOS 9 beta compared to the mini 3...he said he checked it out and it was pretty much like a mini 1.

As far as jailbreaking, well, that's all fine, but, most ppl. don't jailbreak. And, AirDrop does not work with BT2, perhaps you mean, jailbreak it and use some other app that works like AirDrop. In any case, the iPad Mini 1st gen. has been doing AirDrop since iOS 7.0, it has an A5, but, AirDrop needs BT4.0 to work, which the iPad 2 does not have.

You seem so sure...Well, throwing rocks at Apple isn't my intention here.

But, can you google the tweak "AirDrop Enabler"?
I can assure you that i installed it on my previous iPhone (a white 4S on iOS7) a long time ago and i tested it personally. The result was a flawless AirDrop functionality, working as it should (From the control center, not 3rd party app)
As the name suggests, the tweak only enables the functionality, already written in the OS but disabled by default.

Of course, most people don't jailbreak their devices, but that wasn't my point. Jailbreak is only the tool that allowed people to bypass the restrictions that Apple put in there.
Siri could run on the iphone 4, AirDrop and Hanoff were enabled on the 4s.

I think that's marketing at it's finest, and it totally makes sense.

oldmacs

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2010
Australia
You seem so sure...Well, throwing rocks at Apple isn't my intention here.

But, can you google the tweak "AirDrop Enabler"?
I can assure you that i installed it on my previous iPhone (a white 4S on iOS7) a long time ago and i tested it personally. The result was a flawless AirDrop functionality, working as it should (From the control center, not 3rd party app)
As the name suggests, the tweak only enables the functionality, already written in the OS but disabled by default.

Of course, most people don't jailbreak their devices, but that wasn't my point. Jailbreak is only the tool that allowed people to bypass the restrictions that Apple put in there.
Siri could run on the iphone 4, AirDrop and Hanoff were enabled on the 4s.

I think that's marketing at it's finest, and it totally makes sense.

From what I've read the airdrop enabling stuff only ever reliably worked on the iPad 3, as it was apparently the only one with the required hardware, though I could be wrong. The iPad 2 didn't get blur effects, because in the betas of iOS 7, the iPad 3 could barely handle them, so I think Apple felt that they didn't run well enough on the 3, and they could not put features on the 2 that were not on the 3. Siri I think 'works' on non supported devices, but it isn't up to Apple's 'standards' again due to the lower quality microphones or something like that.

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
Really? You can't sketch on the iPad 3? What possible technical reason could they have for that?

oldmacs

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2010
Australia
Really? You can't sketch on the iPad 3? What possible technical reason could they have for that?

You can't sketch on any A5 device as far as I know. Apple started with a base iOS 9 and gradually added on functionally, enabling and disabling features to get the best set + performance compromise, so perhaps the added bulk was too much.. I don't understand why it would be but anyway... Maybe like the 3GS with iOS 6, it will be added in a later beta.

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
You can't sketch on any A5 device as far as I know. Apple started with a base iOS 9 and gradually added on functionally, enabling and disabling features to get the best set + performance compromise, so perhaps the added bulk was too much.. I don't understand why it would be but anyway... Maybe like the 3GS with iOS 6, it will be added in a later beta.

I'm sorry, but that's B/S. If apps like Inspire Pro, Procreate, Sketchbook, and Pixelmator can run on the iPad 3, it can surly handle rudimentary sketching in a basic notes app.

oldmacs

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2010
Australia
I'm sorry, but that's B/S. If apps like Inspire Pro, Procreate, Sketchbook, and Pixelmator can run on the iPad 3, it can surly handle rudimentary sketching in a basic notes app.

I would agree with you, but I don't know what Apple's decision was based on... leaving out sketching from notes is not going to really force someone onto a newer device.. its not a huge feature and can be replicated in third party apps. Apple doesn't have that much to gain by leaving it out.

batting1000

macrumors 604
Sep 4, 2011
Florida
Performance isn't 100% amazing on the 6 either...does that mean they're intentionally slowing down their latest device?

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
Performance isn't 100% amazing on the 6 either...does that mean they're intentionally slowing down their latest device?
Because they want to optimise for A9, not A8. They always focus on latest and perhaps greatest.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
I would agree with you, but I don't know what Apple's decision was based on... leaving out sketching from notes is not going to really force someone onto a newer device.. its not a huge feature and can be replicated in third party apps. Apple doesn't have that much to gain by leaving it out.
But the fact is sketch in A5 devices is not so usable compare with A8. I can feel lag when drawing. Microsoft OneNote is a good example.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.