Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Are you upgrading to iOS 9 ?

• Yes

Votes: 362 75.7%
  • No, I'm sticking with iOS 8 or earlier

Votes: 39 8.2%
  • I will try the iOS 9 public beta first.

Votes: 46 9.6%
  • I'm waiting for iOS 9.1

Votes: 4 0.8%
  • iOS 9.2

Votes: 7 1.5%
  • iOS 9.3

Votes: 20 4.2%

• Total voters

George Waseem

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 2, 2015
I compare them both side by side and then each separately, I install geek bench and antutu to test them out

oldmacs

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2010
Australia
I compare them both side by side and then each separately, I install geek bench and antutu to test them out

Well then, it currently sounds like something is up. I truly hope it just a bug or something, and that by final release, they both run iOS 9 as well as each other.

George Waseem

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 2, 2015
So completely clean installs with no restores from backup or installation of apps or anything? And you've run them side by side?

I know that sometimes if I compare two iOS devices separately (not side by side) sometimes a placebo effect can kick in and skew my perception.
I compare them both side by side and then each separately, I install geek bench and antutu to test them out.

960design

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2012
Destin, FL
Been using iOS9 on the iPad for a little over a month. It's been great. I prefer the old way of closing apps, the 'sliding deck of cards' thing is a little fidgety.

Currently working on the iOS9 MDM changes. That is what is most impressive. iOS9 finally fixes all my gripes about Enterprise iPad deployments and management. I really think Apple fixed it all. We will have to see if the implementation is as good as the promises.

ephemeralstream

macrumors newbie
Jul 3, 2015
iOS 9 will support
iPhone 4S
iPhone 5
iPhone 5C
iPhone 5S
iPhone 6
iPhone 6 +
iPod touch 5
iPod touch 6
iPad 2
iPad 3
iPad mini
iPad 4 (Retina)
iPad mini 2 (Retina)
iPad Air
iPad mini 3
iPad Air 2

IOS 9 will have a lot of new features including :

1. New news app (Replaces Newsstand) - supported on all devices
2. Multitasking for iPad -
A. Slide over - iPad Air / Air 2 / Mini 3 / Mini 2
B. Split view - iPad Air 2 only
C. Picture in Picture (PIP) - iPad Air / Air 2 / Mini 3 / Mini 2

3. Proactive Assistant
iPhone 5
iPhone 5C
iPhone 5S
iPhone 6
iPhone 6+
iPad 4 (Retina)
iPad mini 2 (Retina)
iPad mini 3
iPad Air
iPad Air 2
iPod touch 6
( A5 devices like iPhone 4S, iPod touch 5, iPad mini, iPad 2, iPad 3 are not supported)

4. 6 digit passcodes - supported on all devices
5. Low battery mode - all iPhones (no iPads and iPods are supported)
6. San Francisco font - all devices
7. Notes app improvements - all devices, Sketch :

iPad 4 and later
iPad mini 2 and later
iPhone 5 and later
iPod touch 6

8. Handoff apps would be displayed in the app switcher
Handoff and Continuity are supported on :

iPhone 5
iPhone 5C.
iPhone 5S
iPhone 6
iPhone 6 +
iPad mini
iPad 4 (Retina)
iPad Air
iPad Air 2
iPad mini 2 (Retina)
iPad mini 3
iPod touch 5
iPod touch 6
9. CarPlay now pairs with Bluetooth and USB
CarPlay is supported on :
iPhone 5
iPhone 5C
iPhone 5S
iPhone 6
iPhone 6 +
iPod touch 6

10. iPad keyboard tweaks - all iPads
11. iPad folders new 4x4 interface - all iPads
12. Siri new interface
Siri is supported on :

iPhone 4S
iPhone 5
iPhone 5C
iPhone 5S
iPhone 6
iPhone 6 +
iPad mini
iPad 3
iPad 4 (Retina)
iPad Air
iPad Air 2
iPad mini 2
iPad mini 3
iPod touch 5
iPod touch 6

13. Improved performance On :
iPad 2
iPad 3
iPad mini
iPad mini 2

14. Photos -
A. Added preview scrubber bar to photo viewer.
Supported on all devices
Except : iPod touch 5 which is getting it in next betas
B. New Selfies folder in Photos
C. New folder for screenshots in Photos.

15. Size of update minimized
Apple says that the update size would be minimized from 4.5 GB (iOS 8) to 1.3 GB (iOS 9), but the size would vary from device to device

In my opinion :
1.3 GB - iPad Air 2 / iPhone 6 / 6+
1.2 GB - iPad Air / iPhone 5S / iPod touch 6
1.1 GB - iPad mini 2
1.0 GB - iPad 4 / iPhone 5 / 5C
800 - 900 MB - iPad mini
700 - 800 MB - iPad 3 / iPhone 4S
600 - 700 MB - iPad 2

- Performance
1. iPad
~ iPad 2 doesn't get any of the special features, it gets general features that exist when updating to any new version of iOS plus some good performance enhancements that give the iPad 2 a new life. ***
~ iPad 3 got some enhancements to the performance, and design tweaks to Siri *
~ iPad mini got Performance enhancements and better look with transparent view. *
~ iPad 4 got animation enhancements in addition to new proactive assistant. *
~ iPad Air got multitasking features and the performance went down a small bit. *
~ iPad Air 2 got the multitasking split view features and the outstanding performance stays the same.*
~ iPad mini 2 got little enhancements to performance and animations and the new multitasking. *
~ iPad mini 3 got new multitasking features while the good performance stays the same.*

2. iPhone
~ iPhone 4S got the general new features that come with every iOS update. ***
~ iPhone 5 got some animation improvements, the new Bluetooth CarPlay toggle in settings, the new proactive assistant and the low power mode. *
~ iPhone 5C got enhancements to performance and new proactive assistant and rest of the features that are there with iPhone 5 iOS 9 update. *
~ iPhone 5S got a new secure 6 digit passcode to protect the data on iPhone and performance enhancements. **
~ iPhone 6 and 6 Plus got the same features that are given to the iPhone 5S with the iOS 9 update. *

3. iPod
~ iPod touch 5 - got performance enhancements, some of the features are missing in the earlier
betas.
~ iPod touch 6 - newer improvements after upgrading, performance enhancements

* Features above could not only exist in one iDevice but many other iDevices.
** iPhone 5S new passcode features are present in all iOS 9 devices.
*** General system tweaks means that there small updates that come with every iOS 9 device.

- Performance on a scale

Scale :

1-3 Bad
4-6 OK
7 Good
8-9 Very Good
10 Perfect

1. iPhone
A. iPhone 4S (5/10)
B. iPhone 5 (8/10)
C. iPhone 5C (8/10)
D. iPhone 5S (9/10)
E. iPhone 6/6+ (9/10)

2. iPad
A. iPad 2 (7/10)
B. iPad 3 (7/10)
C. iPad mini (7/10)
D. iPad mini 2 (8/10)
E. iPad 4 (8/10)
F. iPad Air (8/10)
G. iPad mini 3 (9/10)
H. iPad Air 2 (10/10)

3. iPod touch
A. iPod touch 5 (7/10)
B. iPod touch 6 (9/10)

Advice : if you have an iPhone 4S / iPhone 5 / iPhone 5C, sign up for the public beta to try them first before upgrading, as some users experience slow performance on iPhone 4S and minor animation bugs on iPhone 5 and iPhone 5C.

If you have an iPhone 5S, think well and watch iOS 9 reviews on YouTube before you upgrade. You can also try it your self by signing up for the public beta.

If you have an iPad 2, iPad 3, iPad mini, you should upgrade as soon as it's live in September as it enhances the performance and will give a new life to those iPads.

If you have an iPad 4, iPad Air, iPad mini 2, sign up for the public beta to try them first before upgrading, as some users experience lagging and bad animations on those devices.

If you have an iPod touch 5, the performance will stay the same after upgrading to iOS 9 and most of the features do not support iPod, so it's good to watch reviews before update to know if you are going to upgrade as well cause there maybe little bugs.

If you have an iPod touch 6, the performance will improve, newer features that iOS 9 offers would be added.

Before you upgrade to iOS 9, think about its Pros and Cons and also think about the Pros and Cons of the system version you are on (iOS 8, iOS 7, iOS 6)

If you like Newsstand, stick with iOS 8 or earlier as its replaced by the new News app, which could be annoying for some users who used Newsstand for many years.

Information is subject to change.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask any questions in the comment bar :)

New iPod touch 6 features are now available in the post.

George Waseem
Apple Developer

ephemeralstream

macrumors newbie
Jul 3, 2015
New iPod touch 6 features and compatibility information, now available in the post. :)
Dear Mr. Waseem:

I have a quick, maybe naïve question. I have an iPhone6 (my first smartphone). I have not downloaded iOS8.4 as I have no interest in Apple music (or any other music app). Do I need to download this so that I can download iOS9 later this year or can iOS9 simply be downloaded onto iOS8.3, which currently runs.

Thanks.

benji888

macrumors 68000
Sep 27, 2006
United States
FYI: you cannot give performance ratings to a beta iOS as it is working at various times in the background gathering information and sending it to apple, this is part of the beta program. There are other things that may cause idiosyncrasies in a beta, as bugs have not yet been worked out.

For instance: my iPad Mini (1st gen.) w/iOS 9 PB1 mostly seems a bit faster, but sometimes gets bogged down, laggy, when this happens I give it a power-cycle and it's back to normal.

Reactions: QuarterSwede

George Waseem

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 2, 2015
Dear Mr. Waseem:

I have a quick, maybe naïve question. I have an iPhone6 (my first smartphone). I have not downloaded iOS8.4 as I have no interest in Apple music (or any other music app). Do I need to download this so that I can download iOS9 later this year or can iOS9 simply be downloaded onto iOS8.3, which currently runs.

Thanks.

iOS 9 can simply be downloaded from iOS 8.3 or 8.4.

George Waseem

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 2, 2015
FYI: you cannot give performance ratings to a beta iOS as it is working at various times in the background gathering information and sending it to apple, this is part of the beta program. There are other things that may cause idiosyncrasies in a beta, as bugs have not yet been worked out.

For instance: my iPad Mini (1st gen.) w/iOS 9 PB1 mostly seems a bit faster, but sometimes gets bogged down, laggy, when this happens I give it a power-cycle and it's back to normal.
My ratings are my clear opinion about the performance of a device running iOS 9, I never copy ratings from any website or blog, it's just my own opinion. In fact, iOS 9 is a bit faster but otherwise it's the same on iPad mini 1st.

benji888

macrumors 68000
Sep 27, 2006
United States
My ratings are my clear opinion about the performance of a device running iOS 9, I never copy ratings from any website or blog, it's just my own opinion. In fact, iOS 9 is a bit faster but otherwise it's the same on iPad mini 1st.
You missed my point entirely. You previously stated iPad Mini 2 was slower than iPad Mini 3, however, this is not possible since they both have the exact same internals, except 3 has Touch ID, that is all. When you picked a Mini 2 up in store, first off, with iOS 9 on it, how is that possible?, secondly, you said it was slower than the Mini 3, but, as I stated, my Mini can get laggy, but, power cycle fixes this, this is a quirk with BETA software...if you'd just picked it up when it was laggy, you'd speculate iOS 9 was laggy, if you'd picked it up after the power cycle, you'd say it was just a bit faster overall. If you are a developer, than you should know that there are things going on in beta OS's that are not going to be going on with final releases, including diagnostics in the background and bugs, a beta is a WORK IN PROGRESS, not yet complete.

You can't make performance calls the way you are, it's all speculative until iOS 9 is out of beta.

danleon950410

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2015
Bogotá, Colombia
You missed my point entirely. You previously stated iPad Mini 2 was slower than iPad Mini 3, however, this is not possible since they both have the exact same internals, except 3 has Touch ID, that is all. When you picked a Mini 2 up in store, first off, with iOS 9 on it, how is that possible?, secondly, you said it was slower than the Mini 3, but, as I stated, my Mini can get laggy, but, power cycle fixes this, this is a quirk with BETA software...if you'd just picked it up when it was laggy, you'd speculate iOS 9 was laggy, if you'd picked it up after the power cycle, you'd say it was just a bit faster overall. If you are a developer, than you should know that there are things going on in beta OS's that are not going to be going on with final releases, including diagnostics in the background and bugs, a beta is a WORK IN PROGRESS, not yet complete.

You can't make performance calls the way you are, it's all speculative until iOS 9 is out of beta.

You're right about the bugs on beta software, they have to be worked out before giving A FULL REPORT ON PERFORMANCE. But if performance couldn't get measured on beta stages then a beta would be USELESS.

First of all, PERFORMANCE is usually ranked according to the maximum/fastest capacity of the device, not the minimum/slowest. The peak that the device can reach.
EVERY DEVICE IN THE WORLD WORKS FASTER AFTER A REBOOT, IF THAT'S NOT OBVIOUS TO YOU, YOU CAN FIND WHY ON GOOGLE.

Second thing, the diagnostics and usage info compilation thing is designed to use little to no resources at all due to the fact that the system is being tested and it needs the device running in the best condition possible.
Even better, a released version of iOS is already collecting diagnostics without the user even being aware, that's done in the background. If you have an 8.4 device you can easily check the reports.

Almost every OS in the world does this, by the way. That's the reason why you can agree to "Send usage reports to help Apple" during the setup.
Beta software isn't much different from this. It mostly compiles all this info when the feedback app is opened to send the report.

At the gates of 4th beta, we're able to conclude where performance is going...That's the reason betas get better and better.

benji888

macrumors 68000
Sep 27, 2006
United States
You're right about the bugs on beta software, they have to be worked out before giving A FULL REPORT ON PERFORMANCE. But if performance couldn't get measured on beta stages then a beta would be USELESS.

First of all, PERFORMANCE is usually ranked according to the maximum/fastest capacity of the device, not the minimum/slowest. The peak that the device can reach.
EVERY DEVICE IN THE WORLD WORKS FASTER AFTER A REBOOT, IF THAT'S NOT OBVIOUS TO YOU, YOU CAN FIND WHY ON GOOGLE.

Second thing, the diagnostics and usage info compilation thing is designed to use little to no resources at all due to the fact that the system is being tested and it needs the device running in the best condition possible.
Even better, a released version of iOS is already collecting diagnostics without the user even being aware, that's done in the background. If you have an 8.4 device you can easily check the reports.

Almost every OS in the world does this, by the way. That's the reason why you can agree to "Send usage reports to help Apple" during the setup.
Beta software isn't much different from this. It mostly compiles all this info when the feedback app is opened to send the report.

At the gates of 4th beta, we're able to conclude where performance is going...That's the reason betas get better and better.
REGARDLESS, he claimed iPad mini 2 and 3 had different performance, but this is not possible, they are identicle, except 3 has touch id.

Regardless of your claim, betas DO have more going on and are more susceptible to slowdowns or lag due to bugs.

AND, iOS 8 went through 7 or 8 betas...it's not until the GM we will ultimately see where performance is. ...in past Apple has pulled or added a function to some devices at the very last.

danleon950410

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2015
Bogotá, Colombia
REGARDLESS, he claimed iPad mini 2 and 3 had different performance, but this is not possible, they are identicle, except 3 has touch id.

Regardless of your claim, betas DO have more going on and are more susceptible to slowdowns or lag due to bugs.

AND, iOS 8 went through 7 or 8 betas...it's not until the GM we will ultimately see where performance is. ...in past Apple has pulled or added a function to some devices at the very last.

Actually...You're right with Beta slowdowns and bugs. But it has little to do with diagnostics.
And yeah, the last word about performance will be given when GM is out.

About the differences between the iPads, yeah, it's curious, but it can possibly be TRUE.

I've been hearing some stories about iPhone 5 and 5c, some friends said that the latter worked a lot faster. There has been speculation that Apple purposely plays with the performance of older devices, but that's not a fact yet.
Let me remind you of the iPad Mini 1, it has SIRI, AirDrop and Handoff...The iPad 2 lacks of those.
Also, when a product is put on sale, it will be running perfectly with it's initial OS...Obviously.

I'm just saying, he COULD be right.

George Waseem

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 2, 2015

Welcome to Apple, where devices have same internals but perform differently. iPad mini 2 has the same internals as the iPad mini 3 but the iPad mini 3 performs better as Apple plans for the device to work better if its newer. In Apple, it depends on how old is your device.

George Waseem

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 2, 2015

Dude, this is my opinion for the beta. iOS 9 performs a bit better on the mini 2 but still as not as fast as the mini 3, cause the mini 3 is the newest, Apple made the performance better on the mini 3 to make people interested in buying it when there was no reason for people to try out the mini 3 as it has the same internals as the mini 2. iOS 8 also did perform like junk on the iPad mini 2 while on the mini 3 it runs as fast and as fluid as the iPad air 2.

George Waseem

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 2, 2015
Actually...You're right with Beta slowdowns and bugs. But it has little to do with diagnostics.

About the differences between the iPads, yeah, it's curious, but it can possibly be TRUE.

I've been hearing some stories about iPhone 5 and 5c, some friends said that the latter worked a lot faster. There has been speculation that Apple purposely plays with the performance of older devices, but that's not a fact yet.
Let me remind you of the iPad Mini 1, it has SIRI, AirDrop and Handoff...The iPad 2 lacks of those.
Also, when a product is put on sale, it will be running perfectly with it's initial OS...Obviously.

Exactly, Apple needs to convince people that when the device has the same internals as an other device, The newer devices performs better to make them buy it.

Reactions: danleon950410

benji888

macrumors 68000
Sep 27, 2006
United States
Welcome to Apple, where devices have same internals but perform differently. iPad mini 2 has the same internals as the iPad mini 3 but the iPad mini 3 performs better as Apple plans for the device to work better if its newer. In Apple, it depends on how old is your device.

Go to ifixit.com to find out just how exactly alike the iPad Mini 2 & 3 are. I'm tired of this nonsense.

I own the iPad Mini 1st gen. It DOES NOT HAVE the same internals as the early 2011 iPad 2, the only thing that is the same is the A5 chip, all of the surrounding electronics are from late 2012, same as iPhone 5, including BT4.0, which iPad 2 does not have, thus the ability to do all of continuity & handoff and AirDrop...iPad 2 does not do AirDrop. In fact, the Mini has the same screen resolution as the iPad 2, but in a smaller, thinner, more efficient display, so, it consumes less power and has a smaller battery. The iPad 2 & iPad Mini are entirely different, and are too often compared by reviewers as if they are the same, except for screen size. The iPad Mini 2 & 3, however, get the exact same results from tests because the only difference is Touch ID.

The iPhone 5 & 5c: same internals, different form factor, but, again, go to ifixit.com, the only difference w/5c internals is with the LTE/networking chip (more LTE bands), it performs the same in tests. 5s, on the other hand, is faster.
Exactly, Apple needs to convince people that when the device has the same internals as an other device, The newer devices performs better to make them buy it.
I agree 100% with you.

Completely true, plus add some features that the older device won't get to convince even more.
Nope, this is totally not true, Apple changed nothing with the iPad Mini 3 except to add Touch ID.

oldmacs

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2010
Australia
Go to ifixit.com to find out just how exactly alike the iPad Mini 2 & 3 are. I'm tired of this nonsense.

I own the iPad Mini 1st gen. It DOES NOT HAVE the same internals as the early 2011 iPad 2, the only thing that is the same is the A5 chip, all of the surrounding electronics are from late 2012, same as iPhone 5, including BT4.0, which iPad 2 does not have, thus the ability to do all of continuity & handoff and AirDrop...iPad 2 does not do AirDrop. In fact, the Mini has the same screen resolution as the iPad 2, but in a smaller, thinner, more efficient display, so, it consumes less power and has a smaller battery. The iPad 2 & iPad Mini are entirely different, and are too often compared by reviewers as if they are the same, except for screen size. The iPad Mini 2 & 3, however, get the exact same results from tests because the only difference is Touch ID.

The iPhone 5 & 5c: same internals, different form factor, but, again, go to ifixit.com, the only difference w/5c internals is with the LTE/networking chip (more LTE bands), it performs the same in tests. 5s, on the other hand, is faster.

Nope, this is totally not true, Apple changed nothing with the iPad Mini 3 except to add Touch ID.

While the iPad 2 and iPad mini don't share all the same components ( eg 2012 wifi, Bluetooth etc), in terms of specifications that matter for performance, the mini 1 and iPad 2 share the same processor and Ram, the one real difference is that the iPad 2 has more pixels to push thus putting more strain on the GPU and higher usage of the ram by the GPU, but that difference wouldn't be huge.

However, I do agree that there is no way that apple would be purposefully slowing a device to differentiate it. apple don't do that sort of thing. Possibly more time is put into the mini 3 as it might be a priority to optimise the mini 3 build over the mini 2 build ( as regardless of there being practically no difference between the two, there is enough that they would have different builds. Let's remember That this is a beta. Not a public release, a beta that dos not represent what the final build will be like, especially performance. Or it could be that the OP's iPad mini 2 may have some sort of memory flaw which is slowing it down.

If Apple was into this sort of thing, then the iPhone 5 would run iOS 8 slower than the iPhone 5C which it doesn't.

George Waseem

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 2, 2015

For a matter of fact, the iPad mini has the same chip as the iPad 2 but performs a little better because the iPad mini is newer.

iPhone 5 performs a bit behind the iPhone 5C as the 5C is newer.

Same with iPad mini 2 and mini 3
The mini 2 was criticized for being slower than the iPhone 5S which has the exact same internals with iOS 7,8,9.

For example, If I have an iPad mini 2 and I'm thinking about getting the latest iPad mini 3, I need REASONS for me to make me interested in the iPad mini 3, to make me interested Apple slows down the iPad mini 2 with an iOS update then I would try the iPad mini 3 and see that the performance would be better.

George Waseem

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 2, 2015

Dude, you are a user just being jealous of the iPad mini 3. iPad mini 3 did only add the touch ID, but Apple made the performance better to convince users but it, they slowed down the mini 1 and mini 2 to make people think about getting the mini 3 or air 2

George Waseem

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 2, 2015
While the iPad 2 and iPad mini don't share all the same components ( eg 2012 wifi, Bluetooth etc), in terms of specifications that matter for performance, the mini 1 and iPad 2 share the same processor and Ram, the one real difference is that the iPad 2 has more pixels to push thus putting more strain on the GPU and higher usage of the ram by the GPU, but that difference wouldn't be huge.

However, I do agree that there is no way that apple would be purposefully slowing a device to differentiate it. apple don't do that sort of thing. Possibly more time is put into the mini 3 as it might be a priority to optimise the mini 3 build over the mini 2 build ( as regardless of there being practically no difference between the two, there is enough that they would have different builds. Let's remember That this is a beta. Not a public release, a beta that dos not represent what the final build will be like, especially performance. Or it could be that the OP's iPad mini 2 may have some sort of memory flaw which is slowing it down.

If Apple was into this sort of thing, then the iPhone 5 would run iOS 8 slower than the iPhone 5C which it doesn't.

Examples : How Apple suddenly slowed down some devices.

iPad 3 - sudden slowdown with iOS 8
iPad 4 - sudden slowdown with iOS 8.1.3
iPad mini - sudden slowdown iOS 8
iPad mini 2 - slowdown since iOS 8.1
iPhone 5 - slowdown with iOS 8.

Maybe there are some fixes with iOS 9 but till now this is the latest information.

What would you say about this. ?

iPad mini 2 won't perform the same as the iPad mini 3 as the iPad mini 2 is a little older, imagine you are one of apples marketing team, you have to convince people to buy the newest iPad mini 3, how will you do that ?
Slow down the older iPads to make the user think of buying a new fast iPad, add some new features, etc.

oldmacs

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2010
Australia
Examples : How Apple suddenly slowed down some devices.

iPad 3 - sudden slowdown with iOS 8
iPad 4 - sudden slowdown with iOS 8.1.3
iPad mini - sudden slowdown iOS 8
iPad mini 2 - slowdown since iOS 8.1
iPhone 5 - slowdown with iOS 8.

Maybe there are some fixes with iOS 9 but till now this is the latest information.

What would you say about this. ?

iPad mini 2 won't perform the same as the iPad mini 3 as the iPad mini 2 is a little older, imagine you are one of apples marketing team, you have to convince people to buy the newest iPad mini 3, how will you do that ?
Slow down the older iPads to make the user think of buying a new fast iPad, add some new features, etc.

Of course iPads slow down with iOS updates. iOS 8 seems to be slower due to the encryption, poor programming and large numbers of APIs - especially on A5 devices, and the iPad 3 especially since it is underpowered. As with the iPad 4, with 8.1.3, Not sure what you mean there, I have multiple clients that are on iOS 8 on iPad 4s + family members who have had no issues. The iPad Mini 1 is of course going to slow with age as it is running 2011 internals (For performance). My iPad Mini 2 slowed with iOS 8, probably due to poor optimisation, but it runs the same as the Mini 3 with iOS 8. My iPhone 5 on iOS 8 is a millisecond slower than iOS 7.....

Apple do not purposely slow older devices. Even ex Apple employees have said this. The Mini 2 will perform the same as the Mini 3 as they are the same device, and if there is any difference, I would suggest you have hardware faults or Apple has not finished optimising.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.