Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

oofio2461

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2021
 Full Moon
Apple complains about how sideloading will destroy the security of iPhones, but then also prevents users from updating apps on their devices when they've been outside the EU for more than 30 days...

What an idiotic restriction and completely inconsistent with all the requirements Apple has put in place for alternative stores regarding privacy, security, automatic updates, etc.
Apple's "reason" why alternative stores fall apart when they completely allow it on macOS.

mvwoensel

macrumors member
Jan 23, 2024
From what I understand this is fairly normal even streaming services do it.
This is nothing like streaming. Apple can't sabotage rights people have under the DMA, simply because they're temporarily outside the EU for work, vacation, whatever. It's also just plain stupid, because what if there are important or critical updates? And of course it doesn't apply to the App Store, which is yet another way they're blatantly self-preferencing (which is forbidden). In addition to this being self-preferencing:

"The gatekeeper shall not engage in any behaviour that undermines effective compliance with the obligations of Articles 5, 6 and 7 regardless of whether that behaviour is of a contractual, commercial or technical nature, or of any other nature, or consists in the use of behavioural techniques or interface design."

"The gatekeeper shall not degrade the conditions or quality of any of the core platform services provided to business users or end users who avail themselves of the rights or choices laid down in Articles 5, 6 and 7, or make the exercise of those rights or choices unduly difficult, including by offering choices to the end-user in a non-neutral manner, or by subverting end users’ or business users' autonomy, decision-making, or free choice via the structure, design, function or manner of operation of a user interface or a part thereof."

Last edited:

Johnny Steps

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2011
I really don’t understand this desire for alternate stores. I guess if you were previously on android, and you had that ability to download whatever from wherever you wanted, I would understand missing that. But I really like the idea of a ‘closed’ system with Apple and their products. Is it just cheaper prices or being able to download stuff for free?

klasma

macrumors 603
Jun 8, 2017
I really don’t understand this desire for alternate stores. I guess if you were previously on android, and you had that ability to download whatever from wherever you wanted, I would understand missing that. But I really like the idea of a ‘closed’ system with Apple and their products. Is it just cheaper prices or being able to download stuff for free?
It’s that Apple is policing which kinds of apps they allow on their stores. For example, they won’t allow an Android emulator app what would allow you to run any (or most) Android apps on your iPhone, for apps that don’t have an iOS version. Another example is retro gaming emulators, and any content they consider redundant, inappropriate or too “spicy” for some reason.

Apple also doesn’t allow you to write your own apps for your own personal use without having to update them once a week on each device, and even then they only allows three apps for free developer accounts. This is why I’m not developing for iOS (in addition to having to use a Mac for Xcode).

m4mario

macrumors 6502a
May 10, 2017
San Francisco Bay Area
Apple has become a controlfreak and a bully. So if I buy software here and move, I can't re-download it or update it after 30 days. Because they are concerned for my security? Yeah sure. I hope they get sued into the ground.

Or just use Apple App Store. The provision that Apple happily and willingly provided you. Rather than something an authoritarian entity twisted their arm to do. You know. The original terms and conditions of the device when you paid for it.

Last edited:

techfreak23

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2013
From what I understand this is fairly normal even streaming services do it.
They even region lock apps and other content besides movies and tv. Video games have been region locked for decades. You even need a console specifically for that region to play that game. You can’t just buy a game overseas and play it on your console purchased in the states.

GrayFlannel

macrumors 6502
Feb 2, 2024
Apple seems hellbent on burning goodwill and getting people to see them as the enemy. Good luck with that strategy in the long term.
I’m very late to this DMA party so could you help me to understand it?

Who actually owns the DMA privilege…companies wanting to open alternative markets within the EU or users within the EU?

The reason I am asking:

If the privilege is owned by the EU user, then a company based anywhere in the world could open an alternative market and Apple would have to allow EU users access regardless where the user lives.

If the privilege is owned by the company, then I would think I could open an alternative market based in the EU and argue Apple has no right to limit where my customers live.

Any idea?

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Shirasaki

techfreak23

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2013
Apple's "reason" why alternative stores fall apart when they completely allow it on macOS.
People who use this argument don’t seem to understand the difference in paradigms for the 2 platforms. Apple didn’t even want an App Store for the iPhone to begin with. They weren’t going to allow any loading of any apps. Steve Jobs said to use web apps… the App Store wasn’t even launched until iPhoneOS 2 or 3. Obviously it’s possible to have the same setup as macOS but that wasn’t the intention for iOS and a new model was built around a new product category. Nobody should be able to force Apple to change that. They spent the billions to create and grow the platform and they should be able to run it the way they want. If you don’t like it, switch to a platform that does accommodate your needs. That’s why non-Apple products exist…

Riovfo

macrumors newbie
Jan 25, 2024
wierd that they dont brick it by puging all data permantly via remote access.

every iPhone thats contaminated with the ability of sideloading is a security risk and hacked after all, according to apple

Reactions: AppliedMicro

TigerNike23

macrumors 6502a
Feb 13, 2017
Fort Myers, FL
Thanks for confirming your true colour with no shame and remorse, Apple. You don’t deserve any love.
I hope such hard geofencing don’t spread to multiple App Store accounts in different regions.

Friend, the United States can’t enforce the Digital Millennium Copyright Act in Portugal because it doesn’t have the authority. But you’re arguing the EU should have the authority of enforcing the DMA globally?

Apple will only do this when it’s forced to by law. That’s the decision it’s made through this process.

• Angry
Reactions: Shirasaki

TigerNike23

macrumors 6502a
Feb 13, 2017
Fort Myers, FL
People who use this argument don’t seem to understand the difference in paradigms for the 2 platforms. Apple didn’t even want an App Store for the iPhone to begin with. They weren’t going to allow any loading of any apps. Steve Jobs said to use web apps… the App Store wasn’t even launched until iPhoneOS 2 or 3. Obviously it’s possible to have the same setup as macOS but that wasn’t the intention for iOS and a new model was built around a new product category. Nobody should be able to force Apple to change that. They spent the billions to create and grow the platform and they should be able to run it the way they want. If you don’t like it, switch to a platform that does accommodate your needs. That’s why non-Apple products exist…
My university had a web app. If you went to the website on iPhone, it instructed you to save the page to the Home Screen and it would open as a full screen app.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.