Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tinsoldier

macrumors newbie
Sep 6, 2020
I’m very late to this DMA party so could you help me to understand it?

Who actually owns the DMA privilege…companies wanting to open alternative markets within the UK or users within the UK?

The reason I am asking:

If the privilege is owned by the UK user, then a company based anywhere in the world could open an alternative market and Apple would have to allow UK users access.

If the privilege is owned by the company, then I would think I could open an alternative market based in the UK and argue Apple has no right to limit where my customers live.

Any idea?
This one is nothing to do with the UK, we don’t get alternative app stores, this is to do with the EU and the new rules on digital management.

PortoMavericks

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2016
Gotham City
I really don’t understand this desire for alternate stores. I guess if you were previously on android, and you had that ability to download whatever from wherever you wanted, I would understand missing that. But I really like the idea of a ‘closed’ system with Apple and their products. Is it just cheaper prices or being able to download stuff for free?
Because many people own an Android tablet as well, or maybe someone in the home owns an Android phone. Cross buy will help those people.

Also, there are the ones simply wanting to sideload emulators, or paying less for Spotify without having to leave the app.

Cancelled
Mar 25, 2021
People who use this argument don’t seem to understand the difference in paradigms for the 2 platforms. Apple didn’t even want an App Store for the iPhone to begin with. They weren’t going to allow any loading of any apps. Steve Jobs said to use web apps… the App Store wasn’t even launched until iPhoneOS 2 or 3. Obviously it’s possible to have the same setup as macOS but that wasn’t the intention for iOS and a new model was built around a new product category. Nobody should be able to force Apple to change that. They spent the billions to create and grow the platform and they should be able to run it the way they want. If you don’t like it, switch to a platform that does accommodate your needs. That’s why non-Apple products exist…
That claim is only true about Steve Jobs and at this point the argument is no longer a valid argument as times have changed alot. Like you said by year 2 they opened it up.

ALso if it had no Apps tell me would you still use the iPhone?
You and I both know the answer to that question is NOPE.

TigerNike23

macrumors 6502a
Feb 13, 2017
Fort Myers, FL
Why not 100 billion region, really make them hurt.

This kind of geofencing is ridiculous.
How about 100 billion trillion gazillion?

At some point Apple would just hold up a certain finger to the EU and say “forget this, the fines are more expensive than the profits, we’re pulling out”.

Then fellow commenters on here will come and complain about how bad Apple is to pull out of the EU.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
Apple seems hellbent on burning goodwill and getting people to see them as the enemy. Good luck with that strategy in the long term.

Do you think people really care? As long as they get their new yearly emojis, and can flash their fancy new phone, the world can burn around them and Apple knows it.

treacher

macrumors regular
Feb 16, 2024
People who use this argument don’t seem to understand the difference in paradigms for the 2 platforms. Apple didn’t even want an App Store for the iPhone to begin with. They weren’t going to allow any loading of any apps. Steve Jobs said to use web apps… the App Store wasn’t even launched until iPhoneOS 2 or 3. Obviously it’s possible to have the same setup as macOS but that wasn’t the intention for iOS and a new model was built around a new product category. Nobody should be able to force Apple to change that. They spent the billions to create and grow the platform and they should be able to run it the way they want. If you don’t like it, switch to a platform that does accommodate your needs. That’s why non-Apple products exist…

Steve Jobs also famously wanted to snuff Android out of existence as his dying wish. Guess things have changed.

iOS Geek

macrumors 68000
Nov 7, 2017
Friend, the United States can’t enforce the Digital Millennium Copyright Act in Portugal because it doesn’t have the authority. But you’re arguing the EU should have the authority of enforcing the DMA globally?

Apple will only do this when it’s forced to by law. That’s the decision it’s made through this process.
Yeah, Europeans really are a special kind of people, aren't they? They act like their laws should apply everywhere, but wouldn't want another country's laws applying to Europe. My country's laws don't follow me wherever I go if I'm outside the country. Why would theirs follow them? That's not how it works! Your country's laws kind of end where the territory ends!

MiniApple

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2020
People who use this argument don’t seem to understand the difference in paradigms for the 2 platforms. Apple didn’t even want an App Store for the iPhone to begin with. They weren’t going to allow any loading of any apps. Steve Jobs said to use web apps… snip

Funny how Apple did and still does lots of things to hinder web apps in many ways. 🤷‍♂️

the reason they are doing it - though they probably never will admit it - to protect and bolster their golden goose app store income

Reactions: turbineseaplane

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009

That still doesn't address Apple's "security concerns" over an open paradigm on iOS when MacOS has just such an open paradigm, more specifically the "security concerns" Apple always throws up as why they don't want an open paradigm. I don't disagree with you on the business points at all, that's why I've happily given up my iPhone and iPad, only use my Mac as a server, and only am forced to mickey mouse iMessage because my family are still on iPhones. Once I can get my family off iPhones then the server can go.

Reactions: platinumaqua

vladimirc

macrumors member
Apr 26, 2018
nice, they are doing like the pay tv providers, that everybody hate exactly for doing this. Congratulations apple

turbineseaplane

macrumors Pentium
Mar 19, 2008
I don't think Apple has ever done this kind of geofencing before. I used a US account on the App Store for years while I lived in Europe, you just need a US payment method.

Because it wasn’t threatening their iOS App Store Revenue Monopoly before

Their actions are transparent as glass

vladimirc

macrumors member
Apr 26, 2018
Yeah, Europeans really are a special kind of people, aren't they? They act like their laws should apply everywhere, but wouldn't want another country's laws applying to Europe. My country's laws don't follow me wherever I go if I'm outside the country. Why would theirs follow them? That's not how it works! Your country's laws kind of end where the territory ends!
I hope you are joking. The US are notorious for disregarding the laws of other countries and applying their own

turbineseaplane

macrumors Pentium
Mar 19, 2008
That still doesn't address Apple's "security concerns" over an open paradigm on iOS when MacOS has just such an open paradigm, more specifically the "security concerns" Apple always throws up as why they don't want an open paradigm.

They should just lockdown macOS and get it over with and watch developers, for all the Apple platforms, largely disappear…and then see how demand for their “appliances” goes

TigerNike23

macrumors 6502a
Feb 13, 2017
Fort Myers, FL
nice, they are doing like the pay tv providers, that everybody hate exactly for doing this. Congratulations apple
YouTube TV is well-known to do this. Although they give you three months, it’s nearly impossible to defeat the location tracking.

And that’s a service, Apple has access to the whole stack of hardware and software to track location.

sw1tcher

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Only 30 days? Most people do vacations for way longer than 30 days, it didn't have to be this complicated at all.
Most people? Really? Way longer?
I would think most people taking a vacation 100% outside of the EU would be 1-2 weeks at most.
Most people? 🤪 Way longer? 🤪 You must be of that elite type. 🤣 I know I was itching to go home after 3 weeks, and that was my last vacation 25 years ago. 🤣🤣

Since the topic has to do with the E.U., I think when oofio2461 said most people, s/he was referring to most people within the E.U.

From https://www.cnbc.com/2023/08/18/9-e...orkers-get-more-than-a-month-of-vacation.html

Meanwhile, workers in many countries around the world, particularly in Europe, are known to take vacations for months at a time. For many, that’s thanks to the European Union Working Time Directive, which passed in the early 1990s, and requires at least 20 working days of paid vacation in all EU countries.

Several countries offer even more by law, giving workers more than a month of business days in vacation time per year. That doesn’t include paid public holidays, which, in some countries like Spain, can mean up to an additional 14 paid days off from work every year.

Here are nine European countries that give workers more than a month of paid vacations a year, according to the Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development:

• France: 30 days of paid vacation per year
  • United Kingdom: 28 days of paid vacation per year
  • Austria: 25 days of paid vacation per year
  • Denmark: 25 days of paid vacation per year
  • Finland: 25 days of paid vacation per year
  • Norway: 25 days of paid vacation per year
  • Spain: 25 days of paid vacation per year
  • Sweden: 25 days of paid vacation per year
  • Portugal: 22 days of paid vacation per year

iOS Geek

macrumors 68000
Nov 7, 2017
I hope you are joking. The US are notorious for disregarding the laws of other countries and applying their own
And the world collectively voices their displeasure with that at every chance they get...all while continuing to gladly accept our tax dollars 🤔 If you were looking for a "gotcha"...try harder.

If it's wrong for us to do it and you (rightfully) whine about it...it's wrong for you, too. Seriously...even my kid has grown past the "they did it first" phase.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
YouTube TV is well-known to do this. Although they give you three months, it’s nearly impossible to defeat the location tracking.

And that’s a service, Apple has access to the whole stack of hardware and software to track location.

A VPN bypasses that easily, although I have no idea if Google can use any hardware, app, or sign-in information from your device to further track you, or if that's even legal. But from what I understand many outside of the US do just that, use a VPN to be able to use country-specific content.

I'd be curious to see if a VPN had any utility in this situation, but I highly doubt it because of Apple's ability to monitor your hardware.

Reactions: TigerNike23
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.