Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

tosbsas

macrumors 65816
Nov 22, 2008
Lima, Peru
Which keyboard would you say it's the least buggy ( except from the stock one :D) I love swiftkey's prediction, I mean what better prediction than to look at the words I use :) and also having two languages prediction at a time it's awesome for me since I study languages :D but that keyboard is buggy as hell it refuses to work at all sometimes depending on the app, it just doesn't work at all on the contact list app , it's unaceptable, which one would you recommend to me? Swype? Fleksy?

Try nintype. Awesome - maybe you get beta tester status

generalgeek

macrumors member
Sep 20, 2014
Which keyboard would you say it's the least buggy ( except from the stock one :D) I love swiftkey's prediction, I mean what better prediction than to look at the words I use :) and also having two languages prediction at a time it's awesome for me since I study languages :D but that keyboard is buggy as hell it refuses to work at all sometimes depending on the app, it just doesn't work at all on the contact list app , it's unaceptable, which one would you recommend to me? Swype? Fleksy?

For multi-language support, I'd suggest checking out Adaptxt - it's free, so no risk!

pacorob

macrumors 68020
Apr 8, 2010
the Netherlands
Type Nine keyboard has just been updated with 26 new languages!

Type Nine | Type Nine app 1,99 dollar | 29 languages supported | no full access rights needed

0ZfA0RU.png

Bawstun

Suspended
Jun 25, 2009
^ lol, no one is going to purchase or use that keyboard, either.

Please design smarter.

closet geek

macrumors member
May 31, 2007
^ lol, no one is going to purchase or use that keyboard, either.

Please design smarter.

I have purchased this keyboard and it works remarkably well. It has thoughtful shortcuts and I find myself typing quickly on it.

It's a T9 keyboard. It's designed exactly as it should be.

dahauss

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2009
iOS 8 Custom Keyboard Megathread

So I've been using nintype.... However the more and more I use it, I find it doesn't work well. When swiping its usually entering the incorrect word to the point where I have to turn on peck mode and type, but peck mode doesn't have auto correct. I constantly have to go and change word score to try to help get the swipe to be correct. I also haveb the real Swype and touchpal and path. In find the real Swype or path to be the most accurate and touchpal next. Path didn't have autocorrect when you peck type either.

Anyway, of all of the swipe keyboards available, which one do you find most accurate in terms of what you Swype being correctb as well as adding new words and having it be correct the next time you swipe.

I typed this message with a combination of SWYPE, path and TouchPal and found swipe and path to work the best but again, path has no peck autocorrect and only Swype was able to understand when I typed autocorrect. I'd love to hear everyone's input as I'd love to stick to one keyboard but keep switching because I think I found the perfect keyboard only to find the swipe isn't so good after using for a while.

----------

Update.... I adjusted the auto space setting in nintype to
.50 and it seems a lot better. You can now peck in swipe mode which has autocorrect rather then switching to peck mode which has no autocorrect.

Last edited:

AsmaMohd

macrumors newbie
Dec 22, 2014
Pakistan
I think this app is amazing for the customization and the fact that it gives you many options but most of them have to be paid for. Give more free options. Another thing is the stickers, I love them and they are adorable, not many are unlocked and it won't let me paste them. Fix this problem. I have iOS 8. Try and upgrade this to be better for the iOS and for the people getting this app.

dahauss

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2009
I think this app is amazing for the customization and the fact that it gives you many options but most of them have to be paid for. Give more free options. Another thing is the stickers, I love them and they are adorable, not many are unlocked and it won't let me paste them. Fix this problem. I have iOS 8. Try and upgrade this to be better for the iOS and for the people getting this app.

What keyboard are you referring to?

dahauss

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2009
Using nintype more and more I think the swipe feature isn't that good. It makes too many mistakes where other swipe keyboards allow for sloppy swiping

dahauss

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2009
Using nintype more and more I think the swipe feature isn't that good. It makes too many mistakes where other swipe keyboards allow for sloppy swiping

No comments? I've been trying to like this keyboard but more often then not I have to fix what I swipe as compared to other keyboards.

iEyeEye

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2014
No comments? I've been trying to like this keyboard but more often then not I have to fix what I swipe as compared to other keyboards.
Nintype's nearly perfect for me. It almost never suggests the wrong word any more, but I've tuned and tweaked my dictionary a LOT.

iEyeEye

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2014
Whats the secret to tuning it so when I swipe its the correct word?

The easiest way is to always exile nonsense words that appear by tap-and-holding (or swiping, depending on your options) on the word in the topbar and then swiping down and releasing at 'exile'. This reduces its word score to 0.

If you frequently see a legitimate word but not the word you want, go to your words list via <spacebar> -> WORDS, find the word you don't want and reduce its score manually by tapping on it and then tapping on the desired score icon (the dots) - the fewer the dots the lower the word score and the less likely you'll see it by accident.

I manually adjust words like this:
- A word that I'll likely never use: 0 dots
- A word that I'll rarely use: 1 dot
- A word that I'll sometimes use: 2 dots
and I mostly let the more frequently used words take care of themselves.

Note that (a) you have to let the wrong word 'register' in order for it to show in your 'new' words list (which shows your most recently typed 30 words, including some word fragments that lead to the 'registered' word), and (b) the 'all' list is in chronological order, so tap on the '>>' icon to go to the end to review your most recent dictionary customizations.

Play around with that for a while and see if Nintype does a better job picking the right word.

dahauss

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2009
iOS 8 Custom Keyboard Megathread

The easiest way is to always exile nonsense words that appear by tap-and-holding (or swiping, depending on your options) on the word in the topbar and then swiping down and releasing at 'exile'. This reduces its word score to 0.

If you frequently see a legitimate word but not the word you want, go to your words list via -> WORDS, find the word you don't want and reduce its score manually by tapping on it and then tapping on the desired score icon (the dots) - the fewer the dots the lower the word score and the less likely you'll see it by accident.

I manually adjust words like this:

- A word that I'll likely never use: 0 dots

- A word that I'll rarely use: 1 dot

- A word that I'll sometimes use: 2 dots

and I mostly let the more frequently used words take care of themselves.

Note that (a) you have to let the wrong word 'register' in order for it to show in your 'new' words list (which shows your most recently typed 30 words, including some word fragments that lead to the 'registered' word), and (b) the 'all' list is in chronological order, so tap on the '>>' icon to go to the end to review your most recent dictionary customizations.

Play around with that for a while and see if Nintype does a better job picking the right word.

Thanks for the info. Whats the difference between exile and ban? Also when peck typing, how can I train It to remove the sloppy pecking and peck correct? I'm always correcting pecking while in swipe mode

Last edited:

iEyeEye

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2014
Thanks for the info. Whats the difference between exile and ban? Also when peck typing, how can I train It to remove the sloppy pecking and peck correct? I'm always correcting pecking while in swipe mode

I've never used the ban function, so don't know what it does, other than a vague impression that it causes a word to never be suggested whereas an exiled word may still appear as a word suggestion in the topbar.

And AFAIK Nintype does no correction when you're in peckmode, so you gotta be accurate. I only use peckmode to deliberately add words to the dictionary; otherwise I'm in slidemode where you can still peck all you want and get word correction.

hypercard

macrumors newbie
Jun 23, 2012
iOS 6 Keyboard on iOS 8?

Is there a way to get the iOS 6 Keyboard on iOS 8 (no jailbreak)?

Are there 3rd party keyboard-apps that use the iOS 6 style?

I just can't type well with the iOS 7 style keyboard; whenever an old non-iOS7-adapted app with the old keyboard pops up, its like a revelation!

Many people is spoke to confirmed this - whats the opinion on the MacRumors board?

danny8200

macrumors 65816
Oct 27, 2014
Chicopee, MA
I'm now using SwiftKey. Decided to give it a try. Like fleksy, this one also has that bug where the keyboard fails to appear on screen; forcing you to force close the current app and reopen it back up so the keyboard can appear on screen. I know this is something to do with iOS itself. Sure wish they would make third party keyboard work more smoothly. Anyone know if iOS 8.2 addresses some of these bugs?

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
I'm now using SwiftKey. Decided to give it a try. Like fleksy, this one also has that bug where the keyboard fails to appear on screen; forcing you to force close the current app and reopen it back up so the keyboard can appear on screen. I know this is something to do with iOS itself. Sure wish they would make third party keyboard work more smoothly. Anyone know if iOS 8.2 addresses some of these bugs?

Yes, in 8.2 keyboards are much, much, much better.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.