Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

pacorob

macrumors 68020
Apr 8, 2010
the Netherlands
Is there any alternative to iKeywi? Swipe select and the 5th row have been nice. But it looks like that the development of the App Store version has stopped. Last update october 2014, still no qwertz layout and no response from the developer via email/twitter. I heard nintype has the swipe select feature, but it looks like an overkill for my needs.

Two other keyboards with 5th row mentioned in the topic start post are:
SimpleKey (free), ai.type keyboard (free). I'm not sure if they have the swipe select feature that you are looking for. Only ai.type supports the German language.

Makale.Helvetia

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2014
İSTANBUL - TÜRKİYE
anyone using either Swiftkey or Fleksy with the new iOS 8.2 update? Is the "disappearing" bug still there?

Swiftkey on my 5s and ipad mini 2 one time disappeared and reverts back to stock keyboard..today a new fleksy update came..now i'll try this for a few days and see better than swiftkey or not..

Apple needs to build a stronger keyboard API to squish all these bugs..there is nothing fleksy,swiftkey can do..

MHenr

macrumors regular
Dec 22, 2008
Finally Dutch was added to TouchPal.
Decided to give it a try this morning and it works well.
Very similar to swiftkey. It looks better, which I like, but it doesn't switch languages automatically which I dislike.

We'll see what happens in a few days. So far I'm happy with TouchPal.

CrzyP

macrumors 6502
Mar 14, 2012
I was taking a look at my battery usage stats and Swype sure takes a hit in my battery life. Not big hit, but more than a lot of apps.

generalgeek

macrumors member
Sep 20, 2014
Wondering about switching back to the stock keyboard, with the 8.3 fix. My clumsy fingers will surely appreciate the bigger space bar...

pacorob

macrumors 68020
Apr 8, 2010
the Netherlands
Finally Dutch was added to TouchPal.
Decided to give it a try this morning and it works well.
Very similar to swiftkey. It looks better, which I like, but it doesn't switch languages automatically which I dislike.

We'll see what happens in a few days. So far I'm happy with TouchPal.

Indeed nice to see Touchpal finally adding Dutch support.
I will also give it a try. It still doesn't need full access does it? Or only to download Dutch language and can you turn it off after that?

danny8200

macrumors 65816
Oct 27, 2014
Chicopee, MA
iOS 8 Custom Keyboard Megathread

Can anyone else share their experience using third party keyboards on iOS 8.2? Is the disappearing bug still there? Looks like I might need to wait until 8.3 and hopefully Apple will fix this. Idk why it's taking them so long to fix this damn bug.

dahauss

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2009
If I've had to choose between Nintype and swype, which one would you select and why? I have a few different Swype type keyboards on my phone. I really like nintype but using it for mostly the swipe feature takes a lot of training and it doesn't always get the words correct or you have to select the right word. It doesn't like sloppy swiping. Swype seems to like sloppy Swipping . What's your thoughts?

dahauss

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2009
I just noticed that if I adjust the auto space timing and swipe a little slower, its really accurate.

gordon1234

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2010
Can anyone else share their experience using third party keyboards on iOS 8.2? Is the disappearing bug still there? Looks like I might need to wait until 8.3 and hopefully Apple will fix this. Idk why it's taking them so long to fix this damn bug.

Yes, it's still there in both 8.2 and 8.3

danny8200

macrumors 65816
Oct 27, 2014
Chicopee, MA
Aight. Final version of 8.3 is out. Not sure if I should try again using swiftkey or any other third party keyboard. Is the bug still there?

gordon1234

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2010
Aight. Final version of 8.3 is out. Not sure if I should try again using swiftkey or any other third party keyboard. Is the bug still there?

"the" bug? Which of the many third-party keyboard bugs are you referring to? In any case, the answer is almost certainly yes. All of the issues I've had with third-party keyboards are still present in the final 8.3 build. If you're coming straight from 8.2, there is one concrete improvement, and that is that you can now leave reviews in the Mac app store using third-party keyboards. Everything else pretty much has the same old set of problems that have plagued third-party keyboards since their introduction.

danny8200

macrumors 65816
Oct 27, 2014
Chicopee, MA
Oh. I'm referring to that bug where the keyboard disappears and forces us to force close the app and reopen it to make the keyboard reappear.

gordon1234

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2010
iOS 8 Custom Keyboard Megathread

Oh. I'm referring to that bug where the keyboard disappears and forces us to force close the app and reopen it to make the keyboard reappear.

Yes. Mostly just in Messages and Spotlight but can happen anywhere on occasion.

Usually switching to a different app, bringing up the keyboard there, than switching back to the original app will fix it. I suspect it's a timeout thing if the keyboard process is taking too long to load.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
I am currently having a love-hate relationship with my 3rd party keyboards. Used swiftkey for a while, and while I love the swiping mechanic, I still dislike how slow it is to come up (often a second slower than the stock keyboard) and how it sometimes doesn't show.

The stock keyboard may not have as many bells and whistles, but it's solid and dependable, I give you that much. Am now back on the stock keyboard; hoping ios9 improves on 3rd party keyboards more. :(

pacorob

macrumors 68020
Apr 8, 2010
the Netherlands
I recently switched from a 4s (running iOS7.1.2) to an iPhone 5s (running iOS8.3 used, 32GB) and love it especially my Launcher widgets and a local weather widget (Buienalarm - Dutch).

I also started with installing and trying a few swipe keyboards after i already tried quite a few on my iPad mini2. I keep going back to Swype because i like the swiping feel and it doesn't need full access (I turned it off after i downloaded my Dutch language).

I don't like that it changes the icon on the keyboard to a specific Swype button.

I also tried TouchPal because it recently also added Dutch language support but i didn't like the look and feel of it.

Macula

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2006
All over the place
I am currently having a love-hate relationship with my 3rd party keyboards. Used swiftkey for a while, and while I love the swiping mechanic, I still dislike how slow it is to come up (often a second slower than the stock keyboard) and how it sometimes doesn't show.

The stock keyboard may not have as many bells and whistles, but it's solid and dependable, I give you that much. Am now back on the stock keyboard; hoping ios9 improves on 3rd party keyboards more. :(

Likewise here. I've now settled with Fleksy, partly because my second favorite (Swype) is so obnoxious to look at. But Fleksy also is slow to load and occasionally buggy. Not to mention that "full access" makes me nervous. Clearly Apple have done a lot of usability analysis with their stock keyboard, so many users return to it after failed attempts at using alternatives. I expect swiping to be a keyboard feature of iOS 9.

dahauss

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2009
What's the best Swype type keyboard? I was using nintype but it seems to get too many words incorrect.Mmmm although as I'm training it, its getting better. I Also like how it had cursor movement. Swiftkey seemed to work better but doesn't stay as default keyboard. Swype seems ok but I doubt like the way emoji work and no cursor movement. What do others think is the best Swype keyboard?

dahauss

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2009
Now that im playing with nintype again, I'm finding it to be one of the best swipe keyboards. Although swiftkey seems better it doesn't stay as default. I Also tried adaptext but its not accurate at all. Ideas?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.