Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

dahauss

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2009
Just so everyone knows.... In case you don't already.... It is APPLE not allowing the speech to text button. If apple would allow 3rd party keyboards to have that, I am sure they would. I bet there is a hack for a jailbroken phone.....

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
At least allow the global icon that lets you switch keyboards. As it is, I find it ridiculous that I have to cycle through all my keyboards just to get back to the first one. :(

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
Does it not let you do a long press?

Nope, long-press does nothing in 3rd party keyboards.

I currently have 4 keyboards (stock, emoji, clips, text expander). Say I am in emoji and accidentally hit the globe icon rather than long-press on it to go back to the stock keyboard. I enter the clips keyboard. I have to press the globe icon to go into text expander, then press again to go back.

So if you have more keyboards, it's that much more cumbersome (I had 7-8 at one time before finally settling on my current 4). :p

Reactions: MagicHAM

Dmaynard83

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2012
Just so everyone knows.... In case you don't already.... It is APPLE not allowing the speech to text button. If apple would allow 3rd party keyboards to have that, I am sure they would. I bet there is a hack for a jailbroken phone.....

I don't think anyone is disputing it's the 3rd party developers fault. Just annoying that we don't have the dictation ability.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
Hands. Down. The. Best. Keyboard. Ever.

:D :D :D :D

screen322x572.jpeg

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/click-wheel-keyboard/id993111285?mt=8

arobert3434

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2013
And on the opposite side of the spectrum :) , if you've got an iPad check out PadKeys. Designed for tablet first, not a phone keyboard scaled up.

Disclaimer: I'm the author.

Last edited:

Lisa Quach

macrumors newbie
May 18, 2015
Milpitas
Thease custom keyboards are fantastic and gives appropriate layout and features based on keyboard type. They also provides autocorrection and suggestion.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
Still bouncing back and forth between the stock keyboard and swiftkey. 8.3 seems to have made swiftkey worse for me. It never is the default keyboard when I launch apps like messages, and sometimes doesn't appear at all.

That said, I find swiftkey quite handy on my iPad mini because it lets me type quickly with one hand.

Tried Fleksy again, again don't see the point of it.

Reactions: twilite2000

dadiduekappa

macrumors regular
Mar 15, 2013
Naples - Italy
Still bouncing back and forth between the stock keyboard and swiftkey. 8.3 seems to have made swiftkey worse for me. It never is the default keyboard when I launch apps like messages, and sometimes doesn't appear at all.

That said, I find swiftkey quite handy on my iPad mini because it lets me type quickly with one hand.

Tried Fleksy again, again don't see the point of it.

Swiftly new up

dadiduekappa

macrumors regular
Mar 15, 2013
Naples - Italy
Swiftkey new update bring improvements and new emoji with different skin tone but i really don't understand how to change the tone... Anyone figured it out?

UPDATE tried with wrong emoji :D It works exactly like Apple keyboard. Sorry.

UPDATE 2 Better than ever. No crashes at all in one day long. iOS8.4 b3

Last edited:
Reactions: 0970373

Ledsteplin

macrumors 65816
Oct 23, 2013
Florence, AL
I just finished beta testing SwiftKey for a couple weeks. It now includes the diverse emoji and the Vulcan salute. Also better stability. SwiftKey is now my default keyboard. I find it smarter than the stock keyboard.

Suspended
Mar 15, 2008
I'm going to give SwiftKey another try. I just wish there was an emoji search function on these keyboards. I can never find the one I'm looking for if it's not in favorites. haha.

Ledsteplin

macrumors 65816
Oct 23, 2013
Florence, AL
I'm going to give SwiftKey another try. I just wish there was an emoji search function on these keyboards. I can never find the one I'm looking for if it's not in favorites. haha.
Don't expect the emoji to work on the forum. They don't work on most forum sites because they're written in a different code. That goes for all keyboards, including the stock and shortcuts as well. So you'll need to try the emoji in messages, email, Facebook, and etc.

Suspended
Mar 15, 2008
Don't expect the emoji to work on the forum. They don't work on most forum sites because they're written in a different code. That goes for all keyboards, including the stock and shortcuts as well. So you'll need to try the emoji in messages, email, Facebook, and etc.

As a long time member of this forum, I am aware. :)

pacorob

macrumors 68020
Apr 8, 2010
the Netherlands
I'm looking forward to the release of Next Keyboard as discussed in this separate thread. I just noticed it's finally available in the App Store but still in beta for a select list of people. You can download the app for free but you can't use it yet unfortunately. I hope they will add support for other languages from the start (e.g. Dutch). I also hope you can use it without full access like Swype and Path Input have (which i now use on iPhone 5s and iPad mini2). I don't like the '.' key next to the spacebar in Swype.

I just bought ai.type keyboard Plus (2,99 dollar) which should be able (according to this video at 0.20min) to use 'gesture typing/swiping' to type (the free version was already available for a while but didn't have that feature). I haven't been able to test the swiping. I'm waiting on a response from them how i can turn it on. It doesn't work with various standard keyboards and with both English and Dutch and i have full access setting turned on.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.