Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

Shawzborne

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 12, 2013
I'm actually one of the creators of Type. With Type, you can change your keyboard's keys, background, and more coming soon! You can check us out at www.DownloadType.com. We're really excited to be launching soon and would love to have our keyboard featured on your list.

It's a wiki so you can add it to the post

DrSD

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2008
Melbourne
Guys, I don't know if its been talked about already,
but whats the icon under the scissors ?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-09-15 at 3.42.21 pm.png
    Screen Shot 2014-09-15 at 3.42.21 pm.png
    594.2 KB · Views: 506
Reactions: nicolas.holao

Shawzborne

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 12, 2013
iOS 8 Custom Keyboard Megathread

How's it work? Click button, then you can place a note somewhere on the document?

It's built into the landscape mode for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6+ it has copy and paste buttons etc which they couldn't fit on the other screens

http://instagram.com/colorkeys

----------

It requires users to have posted more than 25 times, which I didn't.

I will add it to the list eventually I have to go to work and was in bed when I saw the link last night on Twitter

I'm adding this keyboard set (not sure how it looks or what it's called)

http://www.assistiveware.com/coming-soon-assistivewares-keyboards-ios-8

Last edited:

Dan0

macrumors newbie
Sep 12, 2014
I had a galaxy s5 and swype style keyboards the only thing I miss. I tried the main ones and found swift key to be the best and my personal favorite. Definitely going to use it on the new iphone 6. Swift key was free on android and had cheap in app purchases if you wanted different skins etc...

Clete2

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2008
USA

fivedots

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2011

Arndroid

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2013
I wonder if the lack of diction is a security concern because you could potentially have a third party app make an audio recording without the user necessarily knowing about it.

Free keyboard and listening bug all in one.

I suspect better safe than sorry at this point until they can work on an alternative that is less risky. With the ability to customize the keyboard into pretty much anything it would be trivial to hide a dictation trigger.

I don't know if that us the reason. It could be a resource issue with the API or something else entirely

pacorob

macrumors 68020
Apr 8, 2010
the Netherlands
I don't have enought posts so I cannot adjust the wiki TS. But some other iOS8 keyboards which are planned are:

Swipe/swype keyboard:
- Path Input | app (non iOS8 for now) | Twitter account

Other:
- One Keyboard
- Popkey

See also the links to their websites below

I think it would also be good to make a difference in the TS wiki between so called 'swipe' keyboards and other color/emoji/animation keyboards in my opinion.

I'm very curious how especially the swype keyboards below will work in iOS8 and if they will support a lot of languages from the start (especially my own language Dutch). I'm also wondering if this would costs more battery power then the standard keyboard i suppose so.

Swype keyboards:

- Swype
- Touchpal X
- Path Input | app (non iOS8 for now) | Twitter account
- Swiftkey / according to their blog unfortunately no Dutch language support as of 17-9, although they have Dutch support in Android version although 'swype/flow' function "Dutch * = no smartspace, no Flow" seems not working there?!

Other keyboard apps (without swype feature):
- Fleksy
- Taphive Themeboard
- Type
- One Keyboard
- Colorkeys
- Smile's TextExpender
- Popkey
- Roxie - emoji keyboard
- Ginger
- Minuum
- KuaiBoard (also know as QuickBoard)
- Hodor Keyboard
- AssistiveWare keyboard
- Adaptxt

Maybe also a good idea to post a few links in the TS which indicate

- how to install and use a custom keyboard - see this article on macrumors
- what you can do with a custom keyboard | link1
- what you can't do with a custom keyboard (in comparison to the standard Apple keyboard) | link1, link2

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.