Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

MyRomeo

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2010
United Kingdom
This is the first time I've used Swype and I'm sold! It's absolutely great to use although I'm still getting used to it, I can't see me returning to the standard keyboad again! I even installed it on my wives iPhone via family share and she too likes it. Marvelous!

Dmaynard83

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2012
I keep searching for it on the App Store and I don't see it yet? How do I get it to show up?

It won't allow up if you do a search. Click my link above. Loving it ImageUploadedByTapatalk1410983875.030237.jpg

barnetty

macrumors member
Jun 14, 2011
swiftkey doesn't have any settings so even though it says multiple languages the predictive text always switches all your words to english.

:confused:

Tammster

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2010
S Florida USA
Yes, the English keyboard is the native one it seems. How are you accessing dictation with Swype? Are you switching back to the native keyboard, then pressing the button? I'm pretty sure I read that the 3rd party keyboards won't have access to it at this time.

Yes, for most typing (like this post)the keyboard is fine. But if I'm typing a lot I'll need to switch to the native.

trebb

macrumors newbie
Oct 22, 2013
swiftkey doesn't have any settings so even though it says multiple languages the predictive text always switches all your words to english.

:confused:

If you go back into the app (click the SwiftKey application icon) after you set everything up, there are options to switch themes, languages, and changes other keyboard settings.

Yes, for most typing (like this post)the keyboard is fine. But if I'm typing a lot I'll need to switch to the native.

I'm not sure what you should do then. I do like the option of keeping the native keyboard there, but having to jump around around just for emojis is annoying. :(

kre62

macrumors 68020
Jul 12, 2010
Loving Swiftkey!

Only thing is there doesn't seem to be a way to activate voice dictation.

Richardgm

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2008
The feel of SwiftKey is very nice. I wish that was a way to remove the QuickType-like bar.

----------

Loving Swiftkey!

Only thing is there doesn't seem to be a way to activate voice dictation.

No 3rd party app can allow that.

Last edited:

romeo0119

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2007
Ugh this is so stupid the way they set it up. I had swift keyboard set up and I was using it in the message app just fine. But when I got out of the app and people message me, I use quick reply and when I go back into the message app, it went back to the default keyboard. What's is even the point of 3rd party keyboard

TnIan

macrumors member
Mar 19, 2010
It's weird, but I can't find Swype in the App Store via search for either "Swype" or looking at the apps from Nuance Communications. If it weren't for the link in this thread, I would not be able to find it. :(

I've pretty much given up on ever trying to find anything directly in the App Store. If I'm looking for something in particular, I use appshopper.com

lsutigerfan1976

macrumors 68030
Sep 14, 2012
Ugh this is so stupid the way they set it up. I had swift keyboard set up and I was using it in the message app just fine. But when I got out of the app and people message me, I use quick reply and when I go back into the message app, it went back to the default keyboard. What's is even the point of 3rd party keyboard

I think maybe these third party keyboards may not have access to the quick reply part? (speculation)

romeo0119

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2007
I think maybe these third party keyboards may not have access to the quick reply part? (speculation)

I don't know what it is, I think this is how apple set it up. We have no control over it. I'm just gonna use the regular keyboard, the 3rd party keyboard is not system wide anyway

ckisgen

macrumors member
Sep 16, 2014
I'm loving SwiftKey. For what it's worth, SwiftKey has been working on quick reply for me and still sticks if I open up Messaging or Hangouts - it still opens up as my default keyboard.

I was having some issues with Swype sticking but so far so good on SwiftKey.

Dmaynard83

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2012
I don't know what it is, I think this is how apple set it up. We have no control over it. I'm just gonna use the regular keyboard, the 3rd party keyboard is not system wide anyway

Go to the settings for keyboards and move SwiftKey up to the top. Should make SwiftKey open every time you open a new app

lsutigerfan1976

macrumors 68030
Sep 14, 2012
Go to the settings for keyboards and move SwiftKey up to the top. Should make SwiftKey open every time you open a new app

This is brilliant! Now my SwiftKey comes up on quick reply thanks!

----------

Stupid question but emoji on SwiftKey and Swype? How can I do that? It's not the globe button. Cause that just changes which keyboard I use.

cipo

macrumors member
Nov 23, 2010
Stuttgart, Germany
(How) are you guys able to swipe very short (in terms of distance between keys) words in SwiftKey? Such as "as"? Or german words "er" and "zu"? Can't seem to get it working. It only starts drawing the gesture line when I get to the third key.

(posted this in the Swype thread, but it's more suitable here)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.