Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ultra AleM

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 22, 2012
Italy
Hi guys. I am considering leaving iOS for the first time since smartphones have existed.

I know that the only really good alternatives are Google pixel and Samsung galaxy.

I read that Samsung galaxy is preferable to Google pixel because it works better overall.

However: does it make sense to go from iOS 16-17 to pure Android 14 or with One UI 5-6?

What are the real differences in the real world?

They say, for example, that on Android the animations are faster and there is less "input lag" at super fast touch. Is this true?

Thanks!

robvalentine

macrumors 6502
Nov 21, 2014
Pixel is closer to iOS and has much better (imo) UI and cameras.

Galaxy seems built better and better internals and battery life. Samsung also has an ecosystem like apple, only not as polished, but integrates well with their TVs etc. One UI 6 does look less bad than 5.1 though to be fair.

I flip between my s23plus and pixel 7 pro alot still trying to decide which one to keep lol. Leaning towards the pixel at the moment because the camera processing is so far ahead and my dogs fur isn't blurred

Can't say I've noticed a difference with animations

Ultra AleM

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 22, 2012
Italy
Pixel is closer to iOS and has much better (imo) UI and cameras.

Galaxy seems built better and better internals and battery life. Samsung also has an ecosystem like apple, only not as polished, but integrates well with their TVs etc. One UI 6 does look less bad than 5.1 though to be fair.

I flip between my s23plus and pixel 7 pro alot still trying to decide which one to keep lol. Leaning towards the pixel at the moment because the camera processing is so far ahead and my dogs fur isn't blurred

Can't say I've noticed a difference with animations
Thanks! How are they compared to iOS 17?

JiggyJaggy

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2020
I use an iPhone and Galaxy Fold 4 so get the best of both worlds. Both have their own advantages, the UI on the Samsung just feels really customisable.

Reactions: Ultra AleM

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
Thanks! How are they compared to iOS 17?

Navigating the UI of Android and the UI of apps will feel faster because of shorter animations and much faster scrolling.
You'll probably miss Face ID. But Finger Print Sensors on flagship Android phones are near flawless nowadays.

Samsung has the best camera shortcut ever. Quick double tap on the power button. You don't realize how good it is until you use it.

I haven't tried an Android phone yet that shoots Video as smooth as the iPhone.

Notifications on Android is better organized. And there's a true "Clear All" button.

Ultra AleM

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 22, 2012
Italy
Navigating the UI of Android and the UI of apps will feel faster because of shorter animations and much faster scrolling.
You'll probably miss Face ID. But Finger Print Sensors on flagship Android phones are near flawless nowadays.

Samsung has the best camera shortcut ever. Quick double tap on the power button. You don't realize how good it is until you use it.

I haven't tried an Android phone yet that shoots Video as smooth as the iPhone.

Notifications on Android is better organized. And there's a true "Clear All" button.
Thank you! If you were forced to choose between iPhone and Galaxy / Pixel, which would you choose? Which one wins?

I'm a bit scared of a possible switch to Android because there are some "exclusive" iPhone features that I use, such as the MagSafe magnet, super-accurate Portrait mode via LiDAR, automatic videos based on context in Photo, iCloud synchronization with macOS, and more.

However, there are also interesting things about Android, such as superior performance, some apps that don't exist on iPhone, lower prices, greater cross-platform integration possibilities, and more.

I am undecided.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
Thank you! If you were forced to choose between iPhone and Galaxy / Pixel, which would you choose? Which one wins?

I'm a bit scared of a possible switch to Android because there are some "exclusive" iPhone features that I use, such as the MagSafe magnet, super-accurate Portrait mode via LiDAR, automatic videos based on context in Photo, iCloud synchronization with macOS, and more.

However, there are also interesting things about Android, such as superior performance, some apps that don't exist on iPhone, lower prices, greater cross-platform integration possibilities, and more.

I am undecided.

If forced, I would choose a flagship Samsung phone. But that's just me. Many others prefer a Pixel.

The S23U is the best overall smartphone on the market, IMO.

Deciding what features you're willing to live without is totally up to you.

Me personally, I rely on Google services to sync contacts and calendar, even on my iPhone.

I carry two phones. iP14 Pro Max and Flip 5 (which I just traded the S23U for a discount).

Just know, it might take some time to adjust.

Ultra AleM

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 22, 2012
Italy
If forced, I would choose a flagship Samsung phone. But that's just me. Many others prefer a Pixel.

The S23U is the best overall smartphone on the market, IMO.

Deciding what features you're willing to live without is totally up to you.

Me personally, I rely on Google services to sync contacts and calendar, even on my iPhone.

I carry two phones. iP14 Pro Max and Flip 5 (which I just traded the S23U for a discount).

Just know, it might take some time to adjust.
Thank you!!! So you actually think galaxy with android is better than iPhone with iOS?

iHorseHead

macrumors 65816
Jan 1, 2021
There are so many smartphones out there. I used to be a fan of Huawei. Their OS was flawless and very snappy and great. I haven't tried it since the sanctions. I've heard it can be difficult to find apps etc.
What I recommend to do is to watch reviews before purchasing a phone. Android experiences can vary phone to phone.

You should also do your research first:
For example:
The first comment is: "Biggest problem with Sony in my experience, is that they tend to drop support for their devices much sooner than other companies." I can agree with that, since I had a Sony phone too and I loved it. It was great and the UI was amazing. Security and software updates not so much. Android really is a mixed bag and also Samsung doesn't support all of their devices for 5 years.

izzy0242mr

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2009
I like Samsung and Google phones, but I prefer Samsung because I feel like they have more functionality/usability features for everyday things, whereas Google includes just the bare minimum in terms of features.

I also have a Mac and use my Samsung with my Mac without issue. There's a Mac app called NearDrop that lets you use the Android "Nearby Share" feature to share files with your nearby Mac similar to AirDrop. And you can use apps like AirDroid to send files from your Mac to your Android over wifi. Not as seamless, but it works very well. I have apps that sync my Android messages to my Mac so I can text between devices no problem. If you use Chrome you can get history syncing on both devices (although I just don't care that much and use separate browsers on each device, and it's not a problem for me).

Which UI is "better" is 100% subjective, but as I said, I like Samsung's better because it's more customizable and you have more features to use (if you choose) than with Google's Pixel phones.

Anecdotally I feel like iOS is smoother/faster with touch and scrolling, but I also don't have a newer Android with the 120 Hz refresh rates, which may change that for you.

Go to your local Best Buy or similar store and use a few Galaxy phones and a few Pixel phones and see which feels better to you.

Ultra AleM

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 22, 2012
Italy
I like Samsung and Google phones, but I prefer Samsung because I feel like they have more functionality/usability features for everyday things, whereas Google includes just the bare minimum in terms of features.

I also have a Mac and use my Samsung with my Mac without issue. There's a Mac app called NearDrop that lets you use the Android "Nearby Share" feature to share files with your nearby Mac similar to AirDrop. And you can use apps like AirDroid to send files from your Mac to your Android over wifi. Not as seamless, but it works very well. I have apps that sync my Android messages to my Mac so I can text between devices no problem. If you use Chrome you can get history syncing on both devices (although I just don't care that much and use separate browsers on each device, and it's not a problem for me).

Which UI is "better" is 100% subjective, but as I said, I like Samsung's better because it's more customizable and you have more features to use (if you choose) than with Google's Pixel phones.

Anecdotally I feel like iOS is smoother/faster with touch and scrolling, but I also don't have a newer Android with the 120 Hz refresh rates, which may change that for you.

Go to your local Best Buy or similar store and use a few Galaxy phones and a few Pixel phones and see which feels better to you.
Thanks! Overall do you prefer android or iOS? Thanks

JohnRckr

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2023
I recently switched to S23U from 14PM, and if it wasnt for iOS which i prefer, and maybe the screen of 14 PM (personal preference) there is nothing really to miss. Samsung has better camera, same battery life, is much more customizable.. After being on ios for years the change is noticeable, but it really comes to preference only. That said, even with all the advantages of Galaxy, i can see myself switching soon just because of iOS..

Jared G.K.

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2023
if it was for the phone only, I would go for an Android, probably a Samsung. Much more and better options for customization than iOS. iOS still has this ridiculous home screen issue where icons jump to where Apple wants them to be, but not me. It drives me mad. In iOS 17, interactive home screen widgets are supposed to be supported, something that Android has been doing since years. And I can put them to any position on the screen(s) that I want on Android.
Also, as someone mentioned before, notification management on Android is way more refined than in iOS, in terms of clarity and usability.
And there is more.

However, since I'm in the Apple ecosystem with Mac, iPad, Watch, TV, I'll carry on with the iPhone.

Well done Apple.

izzy0242mr

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2009
Thanks! Overall do you prefer android or iOS? Thanks
Personally I prefer Android. I have a lot of respect for iOS and think it's a very smooth and stable platform. But I do feel like that comes at the expense of the ability to make your phone (a) truly your own (with customizations) and (b) to make full use of your phone. Little things like a lack of a truly accessible file system, the inability to install apps outside the App Store easily, the lack of floating windows or split screen mode for apps, and general limits on third party apps that let you get more out of your phone have frustrated me with iOS. It's not bad. It's just too restrictive for me.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
if it was for the phone only, I would go for an Android, probably a Samsung. Much more and better options for customization than iOS. iOS still has this ridiculous home screen issue where icons jump to where Apple wants them to be, but not me. It drives me mad. In iOS 17, interactive home screen widgets are supposed to be supported, something that Android has been doing since years. And I can put them to any position on the screen(s) that I want on Android.
Also, as someone mentioned before, notification management on Android is way more refined than in iOS, in terms of clarity and usability.
And there is more.

However, since I'm in the Apple ecosystem with Mac, iPad, Watch, TV, I'll carry on with the iPhone.

Well done Apple.
This encapsulates the differences perfectly. Taken individually, Android flagships are more open and capable. iPhones are very capable and the hardware is exception but as others have mentioned, they are not as open and have software limitations.

That being said, if used within the Apple ecosystem, the iPhone experience is elevated. And it’s why even though I’ve been using Android for more than 10 years, my primary phone is and usually has been an iPhone.

Edit: Forgot to mention, my current Android device is the Google Pixel Fold. I've generally always been a Google hardware guy as I'm not a fan of Samsungs software or thier tendency to use rounded edges in their screens.

Last edited:

psp123

macrumors regular
Mar 10, 2015
I currently have a 14 Pro Max and a Pixel 7 Pro and have owned several Notes. I don't like One UIs design. iOS is very robust and polished and I like it.

The Pixel is my favorite however. Some things I appreciate in no specific order:

- Pixel UI looks nice, is fun to use and feels snappy. It's very responsive.
- The Media Player in the quick settings panel and on the lock screen.
- At a Glance widget with useful information.
- Notifications.
- Gboard (number row, long press for special characters, clip board, automatic switching between languages, swipe to delete words or sentences).
- Universal back gesture.
- Side loading.
- Third party launchers and the ability to make the phone feel unique.
- Apps can run in the background.
- Split screen.
- Select images and text from the Overview screen.
- Caller ID and many powerful calling features (only available in some countries).
- The camera.
- Universal EQ.

Last edited:

illyb2000

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2012
I’m in o2 switch up in the UK and debating switching from 14 pro max to the flip 5. One it’s a lot cheaper per month and two I’ve not had an android since the s7 edge and looking to give it a try again. Obviously the flip part of the phone looks pretty good but to me it’s just something different rather than same old Apple.
I do have 2nd gen AirPods but o2 are doing the buds pro for £1 when getting the flip so that’s a good deal.
Benefit of being on switch up is I can always change if the phone isn’t what I expected.
But looking to change from Apple and see what else is out there.

Tell a lie I use the a12 for work but think that’s an old phone as it’s not great. Phone is slow and hopefully not indicative of the newer androids.

Veerasayz

macrumors 6502
Sep 5, 2020
I keep switching between iOS and Android. I recently switched to s23 from iPhone 13. Both are more or less equally good when it comes to performance. However, unimaginable customization is available in s23, you keep getting to know about new stuff as you explore. On other band, iPhone is more reliable to Android as it just works. If you are someone who wants to play with your phone settings, themes, launchers et, then Android may be better suited. Else, you should go for iPhone if you are not too worry about customization, and you just want things to work that are intended for.

missingar

Suspended
Jun 22, 2023

I am undecided.
I've been an iPhone user since 2007, and switched to a Galaxy Note 10, Fold 2, and then S22 Ultra. It didn't stick (i switched back to iPhone 14 Pro Max on release day) but for Android, I'm a much bigger fan of Samsung's OneUI than I am stock Android, and One UI 6 looks great too.

The main reason I switched back was that I have homepods and there's no *good* way to use them with Android. Only workarounds that suck. Continuity between my Apple devices and Apple's vertical integration is really pretty incredible. I feel like Samsung and Google try to do it but it falls short. Mostly, it was just little software things that added up for me. I loved the UI and the hardware. iOS felt like home though.

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Oct 24, 2021
So I went from Android to iPhone 11, iPhone 11 Pro Max, iPhone 13 Pro Max, trade in 13pm for Pixel 7 Pro. Had an s22 plus that I sold and bought s23 ultra on Google Fi promotion.

So now I toggle between the Pixel 7 Pro and the s23 ultra. I enjoy iOS and still have an iPad and Mac. I was not a huge fan of iOS 16 to be honest. Pretty much a bug fest. Before that iOS 15 was rock solid for me.

If you are coming from iOS most people suggest getting a Pixel and it makes sense because it is the most like iOS or iPhone but I think it is good for them to try Samsung first. Just jump in to options, settings, configuration. They will be overwhelmed at first but I think it is in some the most true Android experience in that any OEM is free to modify Android as they see fit.

Try a Samsung s23 Ultra. There should be a lot of good discounts right now. It is probably the best phone of the year and a great place to start for your first Android phone.

The problem you are going to have is ecosystem. Of you are deep in Apple ecosystem then leaving iOS may be more difficult than you anticipate. iMessages will be an issue. No Facetime. No airdrop. Etc. There are Android alternatives but they don't work with Apple devices. So your phone might be less useful to you without those services. Some people will never leave Apple simply because of the ecosystem and it makes sense. So you might be in that group. No matter how great the Android hardware is, if it can't use iMessages and Facetime then forget it is how some people think.

I was pretty deep in Apple ecosystem and still am but my main phones are Android. It is doable but there are sacrifices and some incompatibility issues.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.