Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

h.gilbert

macrumors 6502a
Nov 17, 2022
Bordeaux
Back to Android. It is a GOOD OS. Tons of fun when learning and all that jazz. But the smoothness and reliability needed day in and day out is something to be desired. It’s a constant tweaking and decision on which rom should you use/flash and what won’t be working on that rom and so forth. Just be aware of that. The eco system isn’t there as well.

What? Have you used a modern Android phone? I've been on android since the Pixel 2 and never once felt the need to use a custom ROM. No tweaking or anything. It just works as well as any iPhone "just works".

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Oct 24, 2021
Wish android interfaced with macOS better. Love the integration of the iPhone with my MacBook
Never ever going to happen unless the EU or some other government agency forces it.

Apple has dug in and doubled down on forced incompatibility.

It is part of their business model.

Reactions: keithop

Hkfan45

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2021
Same. I just can’t understand how a company that created MacOS is currently satisfied with the garbage that is iOS and iPadOS. It’s so completely inflexible and frustrating to use.

mjschabow

macrumors 601
Dec 25, 2013
Having now been using my 15 Pro Max and selling the S23 Ultra, I can definitely say that Live Activities is the true differentiator. I wasn't able to watch all of the Bucks game last night due to other commitments and I didn't even have to turn on my screen to watch follow the score. Such a difference maker right there.

Reactions: aggie99

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
Having now been using my 15 Pro Max and selling the S23 Ultra, I can definitely say that Live Activities is the true differentiator. I wasn't able to watch all of the Bucks game last night due to other commitments and I didn't even have to turn on my screen to watch follow the score. Such a difference maker right there.
the only thing about live activities is it does not work for all applications. then most of the ones it does work on are paid apps.

mjschabow

macrumors 601
Dec 25, 2013
the only thing about live activities is it does not work for all applications. then most of the ones it does work on are paid apps.
I only use it for Sports scores, Yahoo Fantasy Football (this one is so good), and Timers. I haven't needed an Uber for a while, but I'm sure that'll come in handy too. But yeah, those couple use cases just make the phone for me.

Reactions: jamezr

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
Yeah, still dependent upon app devs to implement it. My use has been a blend of free and paid though, probably more so free.
I only use it for Sports scores, Yahoo Fantasy Football (this one is so good), and Timers. I haven't needed an Uber for a while, but I'm sure that'll come in handy too. But yeah, those couple use cases just make the phone for me.
Some are definitely more useful than others but I for the most part like their implementation

Apps that I use that have implemented live activities:
- Carrot weather
- Uber
- Lyft
- Yahoo Fantasy
- Chick-fil-a (live order pickup status)
- ParkMobile (remaining time at meter or lot)
- status and progress of workouts started on my Apple Watch
- Strava
- and of course all audio playback, navigation, timers and alarms (snoozes ;)).

I’m sure that are a few others that I’ve only used once or twice that are escaping my mind.

The one app that I’m stunned haven’t implemented anything is ESPN. 🤷‍♂️

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.