Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

izzy0242mr

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2009
Can you do that from iPad to Android?

Ultra AleM

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 22, 2012
Italy
So I went from Android to iPhone 11, iPhone 11 Pro Max, iPhone 13 Pro Max, trade in 13pm for Pixel 7 Pro. Had an s22 plus that I sold and bought s23 ultra on Google Fi promotion.

So now I toggle between the Pixel 7 Pro and the s23 ultra. I enjoy iOS and still have an iPad and Mac. I was not a huge fan of iOS 16 to be honest. Pretty much a bug fest. Before that iOS 15 was rock solid for me.

If you are coming from iOS most people suggest getting a Pixel and it makes sense because it is the most like iOS or iPhone but I think it is good for them to try Samsung first. Just jump in to options, settings, configuration. They will be overwhelmed at first but I think it is in some the most true Android experience in that any OEM is free to modify Android as they see fit.

Try a Samsung s23 Ultra. There should be a lot of good discounts right now. It is probably the best phone of the year and a great place to start for your first Android phone.

The problem you are going to have is ecosystem. Of you are deep in Apple ecosystem then leaving iOS may be more difficult than you anticipate. iMessages will be an issue. No Facetime. No airdrop. Etc. There are Android alternatives but they don't work with Apple devices. So your phone might be less useful to you without those services. Some people will never leave Apple simply because of the ecosystem and it makes sense. So you might be in that group. No matter how great the Android hardware is, if it can't use iMessages and Facetime then forget it is how some people think.

I was pretty deep in Apple ecosystem and still am but my main phones are Android. It is doable but there are sacrifices and some incompatibility issues.
Thanks! s23 Ultra is huge. I’m not a fan of big phones. Is the standard “little” S23 excellent as well? Thanks

ozaz

macrumors 68000
Feb 27, 2011
@Ultra AleM

For people considering moving away from iOS, the most important difference between iOS and Android is that Android is not integrated into many aspects of the Apple ecosystem (iMessage, Facetime, Apple Photos, etc). Only you can decide if this is important to you. It's a dealbreaker for some, whilst for others it doesn't matter.

Of course, there are other differences. But for many/most of these we enter the realm of subjective preferences. If you've decided you don't need your phone to have tight integration with the Apple ecosystem and you have the itch to try Android, then I'd say just jump in and give it a try. Opinions from others on what is better or worse may not align with your own views once you give it a try.

Regarding Pixel vs Samsung: I'd suggest Pixel for someone moving from iOS. Samsung devices are very good, but Pixel devices are closer to Apple in terms of simplicity (largely because with Samsung devices you get multiple pre-installed apps and services performing the same or similar function). After using a Pixel, if you decide you want more features/options you could consider Samsung for your second Android device.

Last edited:

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Oct 24, 2021
Thanks! s23 Ultra is huge. I’m not a fan of big phones. Is the standard “little” S23 excellent as well? Thanks
The Standard s23 is just fine. Perfect if you don't love huge phones.

The big difference is the camera system and the screen but everything else is pretty much the same as the bigger s23 ultra. Battery life may not be as good as the ultra but it is still better with a bigger battery and more efficient processor.

A Pixel 7 a might also be a good choice. I would want either a Pixel 7 or 7 Pro personally but since you like smaller screens the Pixel 7 a might be a good idea. The Pixel 8 series will be out soon and I would say wait but you would have to wait for the 8a which is still a ways s way.

If you can find a decent price on the s23 or Pixel 7a I would go for it although I think the hardware is better on the s23. If you can get the s23 around $500 new or $600 new then I would go for it. $450 Pixel 7a tops. The Snapdragon 8 gen 2 is just a much better processor than the Tensor G2 so I think if I were buying now the s23 will last a lot longer and perform better.

I might just wait until the end of the year unless you need something new right away. iPhone 15, Pixel 8 series are both coming out soon and I am very curious what they will actually offer. The reason I am saying it might make sense to wait if you can handle 6.3" size of the Pixel 8 is the camera system is a lot better on the Pixel over the s23. Plus if the Pixel 8 processor is better then it might be good enough that it performs close to SD 8 gen 2. Then you would have a faster device with a better camera and battery.

I think Pixel UI is my favorite just by a small margin but I also think anyone who dives into Android should try a Samsung phone and a Pixel phone. I do agree that a Pixel phone will operate closer to iOS than One UI will. But I think that is also part of the fun of trying something different. Samsung generally is also pretty stable which might be a plus. Pixel gives you new software features and faster updates.

You really can't go wrong with either. Samsung s23 will be a fast and fun device that should last many years. The Pixel line is full of exclusive features, great cameras, fast updates but Google hardware is not as good and doesn't offer as much customization. I think you just pick one and try it and see if you like it.

One idea is to buy it with a case at say Amazon and try the phone for 10 days. If you don't like it return the phone and case. Then try the other.

It is unfortunate that smaller phones don't get the "pro" treatment outside of Apple. The Pixel 7 Pro would be great in a 6.1" size or s23 ultra in 6.1"? So you miss out on quad hd resolution and some advanced camera system.

Reactions: Ultra AleM

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
I keep switching between iOS and Android. I recently switched to s23 from iPhone 13. Both are more or less equally good when it comes to performance. However, unimaginable customization is available in s23, you keep getting to know about new stuff as you explore. On other band, iPhone is more reliable to Android as it just works. If you are someone who wants to play with your phone settings, themes, launchers et, then Android may be better suited. Else, you should go for iPhone if you are not too worry about customization, and you just want things to work that are intended for.
I don't play about much with Android. I'm all about battery life so never mess with widgets and different launchers etc. I still prefer Android and it "just works" fine for me.

danb1979

macrumors 6502a
Feb 5, 2015
Preston, Lancs - UK
Personally I'd advise to keep one of each device and see how you get on before you decide which to keep

Im too into Apple to leave it be. But will always love Android.

But lately, bar the Pixel devices, there hasn't been an Android device that's wowed me overall.

OK the S23U has about the best cameras. But the Pixel 7 Pro cameras are absolutely solid as are the iPhone 14PMs...

For me, the camera quality of Samsung foldables don't do a good enough job and that's enough to put me off them (not that I'd choose them TBH as I just don't enjoy Samsung any more, their last best device IMO was the Note 20 Ultra 5G)...

A footnin both camps is a good way to go. You'll soon see what suits you best 👍🏼

Reactions: Ultra AleM and Arxr

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2012
I currently have a 14 Pro Max and a Pixel 7 Pro and have owned several Notes. I don't like One UIs design. iOS is very robust and polished and I like it.

The Pixel is my favorite however. Some things I appreciate in no specific order:

- Pixel UI looks nice, is fun to use and feels snappy. It's very responsive.
- The Media Player in the quick settings panel and on the lock screen.
- At a Glance widget with useful information.
- Notifications.
- Gboard (number row, long press for special characters, clip board, automatic switching between languages, swipe to delete words or sentences).
- Universal back gesture.
- Side loading.
- Third party launchers and the ability to make the phone feel unique.
- Apps can run in the background.
- Split screen.
- Select images and text from the Overview screen.
- Caller ID and many powerful calling features (only available in some countries).
- The camera.
- Universal EQ.

Agreed.

Pixel UI is #1 and why my last several phones each year have been a Pixel

I can't do anything iPhone anytime soon, iOS just blows to me, extremely outdated and very restrictive, and just behaved and operated so poorly thought out.

Samsung Galaxy, not a fan of Lagwiz or Touchjizz or whatever it's called today. Read Reddit people still say the S23U has minor hiccups and little micro-stutters.

Looks like the only option for me is a vanilla stock Android phone, like a Nothing Phone or Pixel.

mjschabow

macrumors 601
Dec 25, 2013
Agreed.

Pixel UI is #1 and why my last several phones each year have been a Pixel

I can't do anything iPhone anytime soon, iOS just blows to me, extremely outdated and very restrictive, and just behaved and operated so poorly thought out.

Samsung Galaxy, not a fan of Lagwiz or Touchjizz or whatever it's called today. Read Reddit people still say the S23U has minor hiccups and little micro-stutters.

Looks like the only option for me is a vanilla stock Android phone, like a Nothing Phone or Pixel.
If the S23 Ultra has minor hiccups and stutters, it's so few and far between that I think you would get that on any OS. Ultimately, if what you're reading on Reddit is holding you back from an S23 Ultra, you're being provided false information.

DCBassman

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2021
West Devon, UK
As I've come to appreciate, Apple hardware is 'nicer', and in some cases technically superior too, eg cameras, although I've not played with any recent iPhone. For me, it's all about the UI, and iOS, again for me, truly sucks. But then I also prefer the Samsung UI to other Androids, so maybe I'm a bit of an outlier anyhow!
:D

ofarlig

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2015
Sweden
I think the biggest hurdle for me with Android is the worse support from third parties for things and services, it makes the step to move much bigger. I can adapt to a different UI and so on but some things are just impossible.

An example would be how there’s no support for using my phone for NFC payments with American Express in my region, they only support Apple Pay. So going Android means I’d have to either get a new credit card with worse kickbacks or carry a wallet again. In general there’s more support for Apple Wallet when it comes to loads of things like credit cards, tickets, boarding passes and so on.

danb1979

macrumors 6502a
Feb 5, 2015
Preston, Lancs - UK
I think the biggest hurdle for me with Android is the worse support from third parties for things and services, it makes the step to move much bigger. I can adapt to a different UI and so on but some things are just impossible.

An example would be how there’s no support for using my phone for NFC payments with American Express in my region, they only support Apple Pay. So going Android means I’d have to either get a new credit card with worse kickbacks or carry a wallet again. In general there’s more support for Apple Wallet when it comes to loads of things like credit cards, tickets, boarding passes and so on.

I've found that out literally in the last 5 days...

My iPhone supported my CC and Revolut card (used that to pay for items in Mallorca rather than my main debit card/bank account etc) and had the boarding passes on my iPhone too

Wouldn't work on my wife's Pixel 7!

Annv

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2019
What I hate about iOS after nearly 5 years of using it:
1. No background syncing that shows in 3 below flaws:
- Badges don’t sync across devices. That's a pain to discard them all in all apps. Only Gmail does sync properly. I don't remember how it worked on Android, though.
- Widgets are not actually real time.
- Some apps fail to sync properly via iCloud.
2. Text selection is a pain. It's much easier to select and edit text on Android. The choice of keyboards is wider on Android, including discontinued ones via side-loading.
3. No easy way to delete unnecessary data/cash. Need to reinstall apps to free up space.
4. Very little customizations.
5. No side-loading. I used to do quite interesting things on Android, like installing 2 instances of the same app — not for fun, but it actually helped me in my work.

And for newer iOS devices:
1. Eye-straining screens because of Apple's way of rendering colors. It does not affect everyone, but if it does, the device is unusable.
2. No headphone jack. This is also true for Android flagships these days, but midrange phones like Motos usually have it. Bluetooth's sound is noticeably worse, and it's a shame not to have a choice.

My next phone will most probably be Android, unless a lot of things change in Apple's approaches.

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
Personally I'd advise to keep one of each device and see how you get on before you decide which to keep

Im too into Apple to leave it be. But will always love Android.

But lately, bar the Pixel devices, there hasn't been an Android device that's wowed me overall.

OK the S23U has about the best cameras. But the Pixel 7 Pro cameras are absolutely solid as are the iPhone 14PMs...

For me, the camera quality of Samsung foldables don't do a good enough job and that's enough to put me off them (not that I'd choose them TBH as I just don't enjoy Samsung any more, their last best device IMO was the Note 20 Ultra 5G)...

A footnin both camps is a good way to go. You'll soon see what suits you best 👍🏼
I switched years ago and imo it isnt good to keep both because if you have always used an iPhone, you will always keep going back to it because Android takes an adjustment time. At least 2 weeks imo to get comfortable w/ it....if you never used it before. Keep going back to iOS will hinder the switch.

Same with going from Android to iOS.

Last edited:

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2012
I switched years ago and imo it isnt good to keep both because if you have always used an iPhone, you will always keep going back it because Android takes an adjustment time. At least 2 weeks imo to get comfortable w/ it....if you never used it before. Keep going back to iOS will hinder the switch.

Same with going from Android to iOS.

Totally agree, just stick to one platform, and call it a day.

I'm a diehard Nexus / Pixel guy, and have tried the iPhone maybe 3 or 4 times over the years, my last being the iPhone 12 Pro Max, and yes the build quality and hardware were great, but man iOS is a frustrating OS to use, if coming from stock Android, not saying it's bad, just very different in the way it operates and functions.

It for sure took several weeks for me to even remotely get comfortable on iOS from Android. And I kept that 12 Pro Max probably 9 months, then ran back to Android. But yeah you need to give it time, and ditch the other phone while doing so.

Espionage724

macrumors newbie
Sep 11, 2023
I used Android since Gingerbread, had the trifecta of Nexus 4/7/10, and even did a little ROM dev with LinegaeOS with a Nexus 5X and 6 before going to iOS. I did the switch because I was tired of messing with my phone multiple times a week and wanted to be content with using it.

I started with a 6S Plus, went to a 1st-gen SE, and eventually had a 2nd-gen SE with Watch and iPad. iOS was clean and worked perfectly for me! All my games and apps were available and worked, I was happy with Apple's ecosystem, and iOS generally stayed out of my way. This is what I wanted Android to be after all those years of trying!

I think just before iOS 14 or 15 released I was finally bored of it and ended up getting a OnePlus 6 so I can get back into messing with my phone. I got it largely because it had 8GB of RAM, but it can also run mostly every mobile OS imaginable (Android, Linux through postmarketOS or EDK, Windows through EDK/Project Renegade, Ubuntu Touch) and I figured that would give me plenty to mess with :p

So today I'm rocking a OnePlus 6 with DivestOS and locked bootloader, and that set-up is all my choosing. I'll likely go back to iOS when I'm done with this phone as Android isn't offering me any benefit currently aside from something to tinker with. I particularly like Continuity between Watch and iPhone and like Apple's ecosystem, and I don't feel the experience can be replicated with any other vendor (only aware of Samsung and Google with flagship phone/watch sync; Samsung was bloat and I don't care about Chromebooks).

Last edited:

Hkfan45

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2021
Two things simple let annoy me about iOS. I can’t directly upload videos to YouTube from within Photos. Can android do this?

Second, iOS shortcuts won’t automate (with zero user intervention) turning on VPN depending on location and which Wi-Fi network im connected to. I’m pretty confident macrodroid or tasker on android can do this, right?

Rugalfury12

macrumors newbie
Sep 12, 2023
I definitely understand where you’re coming from. I did some Dev back in the day on xda when HTC was still great. I just recently switched to IOS/14PM last month as my Fold 3 broke. All the fold 5s were sold out. So I said to myself let’s try Apple, what could it hurt. I don’t think I will ever go back to Android.

I can’t speak for pixel phones but, Samsung is what I would recommend for someone trying to use and understand Android. S23U is the best android phone out currently. While the Fold series is great in its own, it’s still a few years away from being a daily driver if that make sense. Too delicate for everyday use.

Back to Android. It is a GOOD OS. Tons of fun when learning and all that jazz. But the smoothness and reliability needed day in and day out is something to be desired. It’s a constant tweaking and decision on which rom should you use/flash and what won’t be working on that rom and so forth. Just be aware of that. The eco system isn’t there as well.
I used Android since Gingerbread, had the trifecta of Nexus 4/7/10, and even did a little ROM dev with LinegaeOS with a Nexus 5X and 6 before going to iOS. I did the switch because I was tired of messing with my phone multiple times a week and wanted to be content with using it.

I started with a 6S Plus, went to a 1st-gen SE, and eventually had a 2nd-gen SE with Watch and iPad. iOS was clean and worked perfectly for me! All my games and apps were available and worked, I was happy with Apple's ecosystem, and iOS generally stayed out of my way. This is what I wanted Android to be after all those years of trying!

I think just before iOS 14 or 15 released I was finally bored of it and ended up getting a OnePlus 6 so I can get back into messing with my phone. I got it largely because it had 8GB of RAM, but it can also run mostly every mobile OS imaginable (Android, Linux through postmarketOS or EDK, Windows through EDK/Project Renegade, Ubuntu Touch) and I figured that would give me plenty to mess with :p

So today I'm rocking a OnePlus 6 with DivestOS and locked bootloader, and that set-up is all my choosing. I'll likely go back to iOS when I'm done with this phone as Android isn't offering me any benefit currently aside from something to tinker with. I particularly like Continuity between Watch and iPhone and like Apple's ecosystem, and I don't feel the experience can be replicated with any other vendor (only aware of Samsung and Google with flagship phone/watch sync; Samsung was bloat and I don't care about Chromebooks).

dloreski

macrumors member
Feb 5, 2009
I am a VERY basic user.
I switched to Android about 6 years ago for the Samsung hardware. I loved the screen quality, brightness, and almost no bezels.
For me, either system "just works".
Looking to replace my Note 10 now and will consider both the S23's and iPhone 15 Pro's.

Tig Bitties

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2012
When I had my lovely Pixel 4 XL, it had face unlock, and when the phone unlocked it went straight to the home screen.

Last iPhone I had was the 12 Pro Max, and when FaceID unlocked the phone, you still had to swipe up to unlock the screen, which seemed kind of dumb to have that extra step. Since then has iOS changed it, or give a Settings option to unlock straight to the home screen, without needing to swipe up still?

Hkfan45

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2021
When I had my lovely Pixel 4 XL, it had face unlock, and when the phone unlocked it went straight to the home screen.

Last iPhone I had was the 12 Pro Max, and when FaceID unlocked the phone, you still had to swipe up to unlock the screen, which seemed kind of dumb to have that extra step. Since then has iOS changed it, or give a Settings option to unlock straight to the home screen, without needing to swipe up still?
Still the same. It’s dumb things like that that IOS infuriates me. Also, why can’t I directly upload to YouTube from within the native photos app? Why can’t I use a shortcut to automatically (with no user interaction) turn on a specific vpn when my phone connects to a specific Wi-Fi or geographic location?

ofarlig

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2015
Sweden

You need to do some sort of action, double tap on the back of the phone can be used though instead of swiping.

Even if I think it should be configurable option you cannot even use it at all on Android if you care about security since their face unlock really lacks in the security department. I really wonder why they haven’t made a secure solution yet. In trying to figure out if I could switch to the Fold 5 this is one of the big things standing in my way, I often just flip the phone out and having to move my grip and thumb to a fingerprint sensor would be very annoying compared to just looking at the phone.

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Oct 24, 2021
I would say the regular s23 is fine but I would recommend getting the 256gb version.

That being said the regular s23 lacks a few things. It doesn't have a quad HD screen. It doesn't have the 5 camera system or 10x optical zoom. It doesn't have s pen.

It does have the same processor, same type of ram and other internals as long as you get the 256gb model as the more expensive Ultra. You get excellent battery life, great performance, a great flat screen, good speakers and great build quality.

Are the cameras, and s pen even that important to you?

The Pixel 7 and 7a are also good options to consider. Of course the 8 will be out very soon. Between a Pixel 8 and s23 I think the Pixel might edge the s23 due to better computational photography. The Tensor G3 will be the last big Samsung released chip and should fix some of the issues with the G2 making the Pixel 8 a possibly great phone. I would wait for the Pixel 8 release and then if you are interested wait for Black Friday sales. Probably the Pixel might cost the same or less than the s23 but the sales on s23 are going to start ticking up.

I don't think you can go wrong with any of the phones mentioned.

animalx

macrumors 6502
Apr 1, 2013
Back to Android. It is a GOOD OS. Tons of fun when learning and all that jazz. But the smoothness and reliability needed day in and day out is something to be desired. It’s a constant tweaking and decision on which rom should you use/flash and what won’t be working on that rom and so forth. Just be aware of that. The eco system isn’t there as well.
That isn't true. I haven't felt the need to flash a rom in ages. It may have been 10 years since the last time I've flashed a rom. The OS has matured to the point rom flashing really isn't needed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.