Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Badagri

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2012
UK
On my iPad Pro the location awareness is totally screwed up. It cannot set timezone, cannot find the weather or such other services.

I cannot get location services to work. Everything is on but apps say location cannot be found. Clock update keeps cycling as well for Time Zone on the iPad Pro.

I’ve reset location, reset network, rebooted, you name it tried every fault check to rectify and cannot sort it. Apps cannot find my location.
[doublepost=1506001498][/doublepost]Done all this and still the same problems.

FIrst try turning location services off. Then reboot your iPad & turn it back On,

Check to see that in Settings that Date & Time & Language & Region are correct.

Check to see that in Restrictions, location services haven't been disabled.

Open a Map app and see if it can pinpoint where you are.

If you still are having problems do a General Reset:

Settings->General->Reset->Reset All Settings,

You will have to log back into your wifi network(s) & customize certain settings but won't lose any data

Vs the iPhone and date/time is working, location is working but it is busted on the iPad. The arrow only shows on the iPhone when something uses it then dissapears. Unlike the iPad Pro that is stuck and cannot set the time as the cog keeps cycling. Looks like I’ll have to do a full restore...

ck2875

macrumors 65816
Mar 25, 2009
Brighton
For me it's weather also, but it only shows the hollow icon while my apple watch is connected. If i disconnect the watch, the hollow weather icon goes away.
Strange.

Same for me

Is one of your complications on the watch for the weather? Do you have background app refresh on for weather on the watch?

Edit: Just checked the settings on mine. I had background refresh on and no hollow arrow. Waking up watch with weather complication turned it solid for a few second and went back to gray in privacy settings on my phone.

If nothing else, you might try re-pairing the watch to the phone.

Last edited:

willdude

macrumors regular
Jul 16, 2010
I have the weather complication on my watch, with background app refresh for weather enabled on both watch and phone, and location set to "Always". A couple times today I've caught my phone and watch with the filled-in location icon, which stayed that way. Going to weather's location service settings, and switching it to "Never" then back to "Always" makes it clear out then go back to the hollow location icon. But it seems like after a while it just goes back to being filled in again, and not going hollow. Not sure what's going on.

Reactions: marvz

marvz

macrumors 65816
Aug 27, 2012
Berlin
For me it's weather also, but it only shows the hollow icon while my apple watch is connected. If i disconnect the watch, the hollow weather icon goes away.
Strange.
Yes.. and I think my iPhone's battery is draining faster than with iOS 10.. hope it will be fixed soon.
[doublepost=1506103642][/doublepost]
Is one of your complications on the watch for the weather? Do you have background app refresh on for weather on the watch?

Edit: Just checked the settings on mine. I had background refresh on and no hollow arrow. Waking up watch with weather complication turned it solid for a few second and went back to gray in privacy settings on my phone.

If nothing else, you might try re-pairing the watch to the phone.
I tried it too. I used a watch face with no weather complication but it still displayed the location arrow for weather.
[doublepost=1506103771][/doublepost]
I have the weather complication on my watch, with background app refresh for weather enabled on both watch and phone, and location set to "Always". A couple times today I've caught my phone and watch with the filled-in location icon, which stayed that way. Going to weather's location service settings, and switching it to "Never" then back to "Always" makes it clear out then go back to the hollow location icon. But it seems like after a while it just goes back to being filled in again, and not going hollow. Not sure what's going on.
I notice exactly the same behaviour.

I will unpair and pair my AW again now and see if it changes something.

Last edited:

mlody

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 11, 2012
Windy City
Quick update since my original post. We have three iPhones, all three are experiencing the same issue. All three were setup identically in iOS10. The battery life is shorter by a good %25-30 because of this nonsense.

I also played with my iPad Mini 4. Since I do not use it for anything, I wiped it out clean, removed some garbage built-in apps and left it sit overnight. I never even logged into it with my iCloud account etc. Just overnight I lost %25 of batter and the location service icon is constantly on. I think Apple screwed up big time with this. We are actually considering going back to iOS10 because of this; however, my wife is also using Apple Watch and she looks like might be screwed up.

Attachments

• IMG_0002.PNG
    IMG_0002.PNG
    371.4 KB · Views: 281
  • IMG_0003.PNG
    IMG_0003.PNG
    274.6 KB · Views: 457

Feenician

macrumors 603
Jun 13, 2016
Quick update since my original post. We have three iPhones, all three are experiencing the same issue. All three were setup identically in iOS10. The battery life is shorter by a good %25-30 because of this nonsense.

I also played with my iPad Mini 4. Since I do not use it for anything, I wiped it out clean, removed some garbage built-in apps and left it sit overnight. I never even logged into it with my iCloud account etc. Just overnight I lost %25 of batter and the location service icon is constantly on. I think Apple screwed up big time with this. We are actually considering going back to iOS10 because of this; however, my wife is also using Apple Watch and she looks like might be screwed up.

What does the battery section say used the power when it drained overnight? Screenshot?

mlody

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 11, 2012
Windy City
I also noticed that turning on and off Significant Location is busted too! When you turn it off or on you have to force close the Settings to actually see the change, otherwise, it will show the last state (before the change). I cant wrap my head around those little things - 10 iOS11 betas are here we are dealing with such crap.

I made a short video showing the problem

https://1drv.ms/f/s!Ag9bCpwgo2HWgstkgIw_pyxxcqxe4g

Badagri

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2012
UK
I've just done a full iPad Pro factory restore and the location services still cannot find the location for weather etc....What on earth?

"Unable to locate"

ck2875

macrumors 65816
Mar 25, 2009
Brighton
I also played with my iPad Mini 4. Since I do not use it for anything, I wiped it out clean, removed some garbage built-in apps and left it sit overnight. I never even logged into it with my iCloud account etc. Just overnight I lost %25 of batter and the location service icon is constantly on.

As a side note you could prob turn off the 'routing and traffic' under Product Improvement for the iPad if you aren't going anywhere with it. All that does is send anonymous data to Apple to determine how fast you're going down a road as an indication of whether there is heavy traffic / traffic jams.

marvz

macrumors 65816
Aug 27, 2012
Berlin
I just unpaired my Apple Watch - Location Arrow disappeared almost instantly.
Now I just started the pairing process - it's not even 50 % finished and the Location Arrow is already back. WTF! xD

ck2875

macrumors 65816
Mar 25, 2009
Brighton
I just unpaired my Apple Watch - Location Arrow disappeared almost instantly.
Now I just started the pairing process - it's not even 50 % finished and the Location Arrow is already back. WTF! xD

Still for weather?

SRLMJ23

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2008
Central New York
Do you have an apple watch by any chance ?
For me on ios11 and watchOS 4 , i get the hollow location sign all the time as long as the watch is connected.
If i turn off bluetooth (set watch on plane mode) the hollow location indicator is gone.

It comes from weather in my case (set to always)

It is the Apple Watch. I turned my iPhone to Airplane Mode as mentioned above and the arrow went away. Thanks, because I was wondering the same thing!

:apple:

ck2875

macrumors 65816
Mar 25, 2009
Brighton
Yes, still Weather. Sometimes hollow, sometimes full arrow. So it's 100 % because of Weather App and 100 % also something with Apple Watch.

1. What's your settings for "Apple Watch Faces" under Settings App > Privacy > Location Services?
  2. Watch App > My Watch > Dock > Change that to "Favorites" instead of "Recent". It's possible the watch is auto-loading the weather into the dock.

(Just trying to think of random things to check)

marvz

macrumors 65816
Aug 27, 2012
Berlin
  1. What's your settings for "Apple Watch Faces" under Settings App > Privacy > Location Services?
  2. Watch App > My Watch > Dock > Change that to "Favorites" instead of "Recent". It's possible the watch is auto-loading the weather into the dock.
(Just trying to think of random things to check)
1. It's on "While using" but it's only a grey arrow so it isn't used right now. Weather has the only purple arrow.
2. I was thinking about that yesterday so I removed Weather from my dock. Didn't changed anything.

Still thank you for trying to solve this problem.

iteklog

macrumors regular
Jan 22, 2008
NNJ/NYC
Hi - So after doing a clean install of iOS11 in my iphone 7 plus, the location service icon is always in the top right corner. I think this is causing my phone to drain my battery much faster, i checked the location services settings and my apps are set to Allow location access as "Never" or "while using app".

The only app that has "Always" is weather, which was always on before the upgrade and never had a battery draining problem or the damn icon on top.

Anybody knows if there are any hidden settings that i need to change?

qqMeW87.jpg

ovHhl6a.png

KV6bQKa.png

Feenician

macrumors 603
Jun 13, 2016
Hi - So after doing a clean install of iOS11 in my iphone 7 plus, the location service icon is always in the top right corner. I think this is causing my phone to drain my battery much faster, i checked the location services settings and my apps are set to Allow location access as "Never" or "while using app".

The only app that has "Always" is weather, which was always on before the upgrade and never had a battery draining problem or the damn icon on top.

Anybody knows if there are any hidden settings that i need to change?

qqMeW87.jpg

ovHhl6a.png

KV6bQKa.png

A lot of people have queried and some claim to have found (strangely disparate) solutions. There’s a thread floating around on page 1 or 2of this forum. Have a dig through and see if you can find a solution for you.

Myself I suspect it’s just a change in how it’s displayed or simply just being displayed incorrectly. I don’t currently see any undue battery use for location.

marvz

macrumors 65816
Aug 27, 2012
Berlin

EM2013

macrumors 68020
Sep 2, 2013
I had this problem as well and found it was the weather app’s location that was set to ‘always’ (don’t know if I always had it on that way or if it set itself) but I changed it to ‘while using’ and it’s gone now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.