Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mlody

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 11, 2012
Windy City
This is also my understanding, but it is worthless information. Every single application that is allowed to access location 'may' use your location, so what is the point of this icon? Apple changed it just for the heck of the change, as it does not offer anything useful over the iOS10 implementation. It is just a stupid change for no reason.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011

Badagri

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2012
UK
Diddly squat has changed with 11.0.1 for me. Weather widget from far left of the screen cannot locate my location with location services enabled.

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
Diddly squat has changed with 11.0.1 for me. Weather widget from far left of the screen cannot locate my location with location services enabled.
My Apple Watch will no longer update location. Doesn't matter if weather is open, closed, "always" or "only when app is open". This started yesterday morning which is more bizarre. It was fine over the weekend, but started before I even updated to 11.0.1.

jlwarlow

macrumors regular
Oct 10, 2008
Leicestershire, UK
I've found that having weather/weather condition in any watch face whether the active one or not causes the icon to show. Removing them from all watch faces I've added to my watch, including the new Siri watch face, stops the icon showing.

Thenessus

macrumors newbie
Apr 29, 2018
Turn off location to Never in Google Maps.
This is the culprit .

Too bad since I love Google Maps

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
True but I need it on all the time for location sharing
In that case that's somewhat different and probably something one would know that they are doing if they were doing it (as opposed to essentially people not being sure what might be causing it).

jencgreen

macrumors newbie
Apr 5, 2018
Did that on all devices and low and behold ... fixed.
Thanks for the info. Was not aware that was the function of that item.
[doublepost=1528638275][/doublepost]Did all of that, even out in airplane mode and the arrow went hollow but is still on.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.