Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

k.alexander

macrumors 6502a
Jul 14, 2010
I also noticed that turning on and off Significant Location is busted too! When you turn it off or on you have to force close the Settings to actually see the change, otherwise, it will show the last state (before the change). I cant wrap my head around those little things - 10 iOS11 betas are here we are dealing with such crap.

I made a short video showing the problem

https://1drv.ms/f/s!Ag9bCpwgo2HWgstkgIw_pyxxcqxe4g

Just go back one more level, and then back again into System Services, and you will see that Your toggling of on/off for Significant Locations is ended being retained—no need to force quit the app.

donrsd

macrumors 6502
Dec 16, 2011
South Florida
Had iOS 11 for a while now, never had Watch OS 4.
Today I finally put my AW OS4 on my wrist. Ever since then the outline location icon is on my iPhone.
Turned off the weather app from “always” to while using” and location icon goes away on my iPhone 7 Plus.

Definitely the AW weather.

Reactions: marvz

CyriL75

macrumors newbie
Sep 24, 2017
Paris
Today I finally put my AW OS4 on my wrist. Ever since then the outline location icon is on my iPhone.
Turned off the weather app from “always” to while using” and location icon goes away on my iPhone 7 Plus.

Hi,

Same issue here due to Weather app and Apple Watch Series 0.

I was wondering if this issue also occurs with Apple Watch + GPS (series 2/3) ?

Regards,
Cyril

marvz

macrumors 65816
Aug 27, 2012
Berlin
Hi,

Same issue here due to Weather app and Apple Watch Series 0.

I was wondering if this issue also occurs with Apple Watch + GPS (series 2/3) ?

Regards,
Cyril
Yes, I have an Apple Watch Series 2 and the same problem with watchOS 4.

MoonageDaydream

Suspended
Sep 23, 2013
For me it’s both the weather and the watch. If I turn weather setting to “only when using” the location icon goes away. It also goes away if i turn my Apple Watch completely off. Even if I unpair it the icon stays there. I can leave the weather set to “always” and if the Apple Watch is off the icon goes away.

Last edited:
Reactions: raab and marvz

raab

macrumors 6502
Jul 23, 2010
For me it’s both the weather and the watch. If I turn weather setting to “only when using” the location icon goes away. It also goes away if i turn my Apple Watch completely off. Even if I unpair it the icon stays there. I can leave the weather set to “always” and if the Apple Watch is off the icon goes away.

Same here, only just installed watchOS 4 last night and now have the hollow location icon on all the time

marvz

macrumors 65816
Aug 27, 2012
Berlin

This did it for me too - now I finally don't have the hollow/full location arrow in the status bar all the time.
I also checked an iPhone of a friend still running iOS 10. The setting for weather on iOS 10 had only two options "always" or "never". Now on iOS 11 we have three options.

grant15

macrumors newbie
Sep 25, 2017
Somewhat unrelated, but I noticed that the Weather widget does not refresh on my iPhone 8 with iOS 11. Location services are on for Weather. I tried shutting down the phone and uninstalling the app and reinstalling from the app store. In both situations, the weather in the widget updated, but then stays on that temperature going forward. Anyone else run into this?

bbmint

macrumors newbie
Aug 24, 2017
Somewhat unrelated, but I noticed that the Weather widget does not refresh on my iPhone 8 with iOS 11. Location services are on for Weather. I tried shutting down the phone and uninstalling the app and reinstalling from the app store. In both situations, the weather in the widget updated, but then stays on that temperature going forward. Anyone else run into this?
Yes I have the same issue, on my 6s. Even after I open the Weather app and it shows the current temperature, the widget still stuck on the initial temp.

willdude

macrumors regular
Jul 16, 2010
Apple also changed what the arrows mean in iOS 11 vs. 10, according to this article:

https://mackuba.eu/2017/07/13/changes-to-location-tracking-in-ios-11/

That's interesting, but doesn't really explain why before when I had Weather for the phone/watch set to "Always", I didn't get a persistent location icon, but now I always have the hollow icon.

Fwiw, ever since switching it to "Never" then back to "Always", it no longer gives me the filled in icon, and it accurately updates my location on my watch. (When set to "While Using" it wouldn't update the location automatically.)

paulad73

macrumors newbie
Sep 27, 2017
Try the following:
Privacy -> Location Services -> System Services - > Significant Services.
Toggle SS off.
Come out of settings completely and then go back into settings.
Toggle SS back on.
The arrow should have gone...mine has.

Last edited:

jbachandouris

macrumors 603
Aug 18, 2009
Upstate NY
Actually, I had noticed that Apple's Weather App mysteriously changed to using location services 'always' instead of 'only when using app.' I switched it back and it's been fine since.

Basically, look through your location settings and anything that says 'always' will show the arrow. Personally, I'd like the option NOT to have the arrow. It's just annoying to me.

paulad73

macrumors newbie
Sep 27, 2017
Try the following:
Privacy -> Location Services -> System Services - > Significant Services.
Toggle SS off.
Come out of settings completely and then go back into settings.
Toggle SS back on.
The arrow should have gone...mine has.
[doublepost=1506535355][/doublepost]

The arrow is back !!!!!!!!!!

Sharkoneau

macrumors 6502a
Jan 13, 2017
Michigan
Everyone may want to toggle off Cell Network Search as well. It has nothing to do with the function/performance of the phone, but is a data aggregation setting to help Apple & your carrier assess network usage and supposedly make improvements. Turned mine off, everything works as expected, and I don't often get the arrow anymore.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Everyone may want to toggle off Cell Network Search as well. It has nothing to do with the function/performance of the phone, but is a data aggregation setting to help Apple & your carrier assess network usage and supposedly make improvements. Turned mine off, everything works as expected, and I don't often get the arrow anymore.
Most of those setting don't have much to do with functionality of the device.

realpras

macrumors regular
Oct 6, 2013
See the attached image: that hollow location icon means the app/system may use your location but isn't actually using it. When your location is being used, it changes to solid white/black.

To see it yourself, go to your home screen when the arrow is hollow (like your screenshot), then open Weather, then the icon will turn into solid white/black, which means it's actually using your location.

Attachments

• AF76FE36-6F1A-4732-B0B3-C31DE8E171E3.jpeg
    AF76FE36-6F1A-4732-B0B3-C31DE8E171E3.jpeg
    76.3 KB · Views: 210
Last edited:

realpras

macrumors regular
Oct 6, 2013
See the attached image: that hollow location icon means the app/system may use your location but isn't actually using it. When your location is being used, it changes to solid white/black.

To see it yourself, go to your home screen when the arrow is hollow (like your screenshot), then open Weather, then the icon will turn into solid white/black, which means it's actually using your location.

That's my understanding.

Attachments

• AF76FE36-6F1A-4732-B0B3-C31DE8E171E3.jpeg
    AF76FE36-6F1A-4732-B0B3-C31DE8E171E3.jpeg
    76.3 KB · Views: 213

StonewallBrown

macrumors regular
Mar 25, 2013

Yes and no. The hollow arrow also can mean you are under a geofence. Which is the rub. If you are under a geofence, the location service is constantly monitoring your location, which would drain some battery power. It’s been my guess since the early iOS 11 betas, that this is what’s causing the battery drain some are experiencing.

Reactions: marvz

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.