Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

iOS Geek

macrumors 68000
Nov 7, 2017
You are right. It's crazy that Apple can release images dating from 2018. 6 years to have images from 2018, we expect better from Apple. For example, Apple released images of a highway in 2018... Another inconsistency is the discontinuity of Look Around on some sections. There is even a road that has Look Around on one direction and not on the other. It gives the impression that Apple has quickly released this expansion. Apple has not accustomed us to this, I must say that it is rather worrying because the benefit of the doubt is no longer admissible now....
Exactly. And that's where things get weird. In the areas covered by the initial city releases (SF, NY, Chicago, Miami, etc)...Apple's Look Around beats Google Street View in pretty much every way in my opinion. But for the areas that received coverage from the expansion yesterday...I'd give the win to Google for the sake of "completeness" of the coverage.

Benni14

macrumors regular
Nov 12, 2021
Exactly. And that's where things get weird. In the areas covered by the initial city releases (SF, NY, Chicago, Miami, etc)...Apple's Look Around beats Google Street View in pretty much every way in my opinion. But for the areas that received coverage from the expansion yesterday...I'd give the win to Google for the sake of "completeness" of the coverage.
I will stay positive and tell myself that this is a clue that Apple could make a big announcement at WWDC.

one more

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2015
Earth
This is specific to France. I was driving back home last night and the part of the motorway was closed for repairs. This was planned well ahead and shown on the warning shields several weeks ago. The planned closure was between 21:00 - 6:00 every night, except for the weekends. Google and Waze new about it, Apple Maps did not. 🤷🏻‍♂️

I guess that there is not enough iPhone users around to feed the traffic data? If this is the case, however, I think Apple should team up with some other real-time traffic flow analysis services, else it really sabotages AM routing experience.

Benni14

macrumors regular
Nov 12, 2021
What was the road? City? Apple uses data from route managers ( État, Départements ou concessionnaires autoroutiers) for closed roads. I advise you to send an email to maps_escalations@apple.com and explain what happened. This may allow Apple to update its database.

Reactions: gwhizkids

MozMan68

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Jun 29, 2010
South Cackalacky
Waze sent an email with some updates that are coming....

New features for a safer driving experience​
Over the coming weeks, Waze is adding new features that will enhance your driving experience and provide more information about the road ahead. Get ready for safer, smoother drives!​
Open on mobile​
Heads up on curves, bumps & toll booths!​
No more surprises! Waze now warns you about sharp curves, speed bumps, toll booths, and more. Stay informed and enjoy a smoother ride.​
Emergency vehicle on the road ahead​
Get notified about emergency vehicles stopped along the road, giving you time to slow down and help protect first responders. Available now to drivers in the U.S., Canada, Mexico and France, with more countries coming soon.​
Say goodbye to sudden braking​
Get alerts about speed limit decreases ahead, helping you to safely adjust your speed and avoid accidents, traffic jams, and even tickets.​
Your usual route, only better​
Waze highlights your favorite routes for easy access and offers faster options if there's traffic.​
No more driving in circles, literally​
Navigate tricky roundabouts with clear instructions that show you the best lane to choose and where to exit.​
Stress-free parking is here​
Choose the best parking spot! Compare rates, locations and amenities in advance and pick the best one. Soon, you will be able to reserve your spot from the app (currently available only in the U.S. and Canada).​

• Love
Reactions: S8ER01Z

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Jun 21, 2013
Waze sent an email with some updates that are coming....

New features for a safer driving experience​
Over the coming weeks, Waze is adding new features that will enhance your driving experience and provide more information about the road ahead. Get ready for safer, smoother drives!​
Open on mobile​
Heads up on curves, bumps & toll booths!​
No more surprises! Waze now warns you about sharp curves, speed bumps, toll booths, and more. Stay informed and enjoy a smoother ride.​
Emergency vehicle on the road ahead​
Get notified about emergency vehicles stopped along the road, giving you time to slow down and help protect first responders. Available now to drivers in the U.S., Canada, Mexico and France, with more countries coming soon.​
Say goodbye to sudden braking​
Get alerts about speed limit decreases ahead, helping you to safely adjust your speed and avoid accidents, traffic jams, and even tickets.​
Your usual route, only better​
Waze highlights your favorite routes for easy access and offers faster options if there's traffic.​
No more driving in circles, literally​
Navigate tricky roundabouts with clear instructions that show you the best lane to choose and where to exit.​
Stress-free parking is here​
Choose the best parking spot! Compare rates, locations and amenities in advance and pick the best one. Soon, you will be able to reserve your spot from the app (currently available only in the U.S. and Canada).​

This may have set the record for the longest post in MR history!

Good features though.

Joseph.A

macrumors newbie
Apr 28, 2023

californiaburrito

macrumors newbie
Nov 22, 2023
Back in post 283 I mentioned a wrong location I reported to Apple and how they requested more info. I sent more detailed info on March 11 and it took until today (April 23) for Apple to actually update the place with the correct location.

My question is is 6+ weeks a normal amount of time for them to fix a wrong location? It was just a location inside a public park.

BBDDVV

macrumors regular
Oct 30, 2014
had better luck myself, with responses of less then/a couple of days. Maybe it's because "It was just a location inside a public park"? 🤷‍♂️

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Jun 21, 2013
had better luck myself, with responses of less then/a couple of days. Maybe it's because "It was just a location inside a public park"?

I do think it has a lot to do with the criticality of the report. I’m sure Apple triages these reports and elevates those with greater transportation impacts, like road closures and construction projects. So I don’t think 6 weeks or so for your issue is particularly out of line.

MozMan68

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Jun 29, 2010
South Cackalacky
I do think it has a lot to do with the criticality of the report. I’m sure Apple triages these reports and elevates those with greater transportation impacts, like road closures and construction projects. So I don’t think 6 weeks or so for your issue is particularly out of line.

Totally agree…and to be fair (while it seems entirely unfair) Apple has struggled getting its base map launched with all features. While even though that in my opinion is a horrible excuse for NOT updating info on the existing platform, based on their past, I’m not surprised they wait to or even don’t update supplied corrections until their next major data update is implemented.

What the Maps team doesn’t seem to realize is how important even minor corrections are to having people trust using Maps on a daily basis…this isn’t some slightly outdated software update for a MAC or an iPhone. This is a “living” project that will NEVER be fully updated.

I’m hoping with the next major launch or LookAround, DCE…whatever..in the US and UK kickstarts their ability to focus on corrections and future updates to the point where they happen so quickly and are so accurate that everything else moving forward will be minor updates from a UX standpoint.

To dream…..

jpdunn13

macrumors member
Sep 19, 2022
In Southern Illinois, the speed limits in Apple maps are quite often incorrect. Many 45 zones are listed as 55, and many of the 55 zones are listed as 45. I sent in a report and they want me to take a picture of the sign. This isn't always easy without causing an accident. The speed zones are correct in Google maps and in Waze.

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Jun 21, 2013
In Southern Illinois, the speed limits in Apple maps are quite often incorrect. Many 45 zones are listed as 55, and many of the 55 zones are listed as 45. I sent in a report and they want me to take a picture of the sign. This isn't always easy without causing an accident. The speed zones are correct in Google maps and in Waze.

That’s also crazy…and crazy unsafe. Shame on Apple’s map team for making a stupid request like this.

Benni14

macrumors regular
Nov 12, 2021
Take a screenshot of Look Around.

JFLECHUGA

macrumors regular
Aug 10, 2021
León (Spain)
I'm with qwhizkids, it's a shame on the part of Apple, it has enough material and human means to make them themselves!!! :confundido::confundido:

gemma.nye

macrumors newbie
Jan 7, 2024
I’ve had some interesting experiences too. Lately I’ve been reporting a lot of missing building models or lacking building detail (especially apartments) - mainly for spots that have POI markers but are just missing the building in the “overworld”. Those have been getting added pretty quickly, like within a week or two. Maybe some changes are just easier for them to verify and fix.

I’ve been using Report Street Issue > Shape of street on map is wrong as well. I saw in a thread somewhere that these types of reports get looked at quicker

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Jun 21, 2013
I’ve had some interesting experiences too. Lately I’ve been reporting a lot of missing building models or lacking building detail (especially apartments) - mainly for spots that have POI markers but are just missing the building in the “overworld”. Those have been getting added pretty quickly, like within a week or two. Maybe some changes are just easier for them to verify and fix.

I’ve been using Report Street Issue > Shape of street on map is wrong as well. I saw in a thread somewhere that these types of reports get looked at quicker
Missing buildings are probably a relatively easy fix. I think where they run into trouble is with things they want to anonymize: faces, license plates/tags, etc... That probably requires much more human intervention, hence the delay.

G1Ravage

macrumors 65816
Dec 28, 2018
Queens, New York, USA
The same strangely shaped intersection with directions in Apple Maps, Google Maps, and Waze.

Technically none are correct. 🤣

IMG_2171.png

IMG_2182.png

IMG_2188.png

• Haha
Reactions: gemma.nye

G1Ravage

macrumors 65816
Dec 28, 2018
Queens, New York, USA
Also, Google Maps is apparently experimenting with a “junction view” styled view approaching highway exits. But it only lasts until about 0.1 miles from the exit, when it suddenly and confusingly switches to a top down view.

IMG_2180.png

Also, it’s time for a random “Apple Maps looks awesome” appreciation screenshot post:

IMG_2198.png

IMG_2200.png

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.