Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

Benni14

macrumors regular
Nov 12, 2021
Just noticed an update to the 3D imagery for satellite view as well as a pretty sizable expansion of it! Where it used to cover only half of my town…it now covers the entire town (including updating the parts that already had it) and pretty much ALL of our surrounding ones. That wasn’t the kind of Maps update I was holding my breath for, but it’s nice to see something new!
Which city?

Benni14

macrumors regular
Nov 12, 2021
Which city?
Just noticed an update to the 3D imagery for satellite view as well as a pretty sizable expansion of it! Where it used to cover only half of my town…it now covers the entire town (including updating the parts that already had it) and pretty much ALL of our surrounding ones. That wasn’t the kind of Maps update I was holding my breath for, but it’s nice to see something new!
Which city?

iOSBry

macrumors 6502a
Jan 16, 2013
Which city?

Which city?
From Reddit (not my post):

Summary of Apple's enormous Flyover update in the US & Canada:

Received Flyover:

- Billings, MT

- Corpus Christi, TX

- Edmonton, AB (Canada)

- Eugene, OR

- Idaho Falls, ID

- Jackson, MS

- Kankakee, IL

- Kingston, ON (Canada)

- Lansing, MI

- London, ON (Canada)

- Regina, SK (Canada)

- Richmond, VA

- Saguenay, QC (Canada)

- Saskatoon, SK (Canada)

Existing imagery updated

- Amarillo, TX

- Boise, ID

- Chicago, IL

- Fayetteville, AR

- Milwaukee, WI

- Montreal, QC (Canada)

Let me know if I missed any!

Reactions: BBDDVV and MozMan68

iOS Geek

macrumors 68000
Nov 7, 2017
Staying far away from the news thread about Apple versus Google Maps. Hah!
Haha when I first saw it, I saw the "Apple Maps" part of the headline and I was hoping it was going to be an article about Look Around FINALLY rolling out to the rest of the US. And then I saw the "versus Google Maps" part. Darn it 😂

Reactions: gwhizkids

BeauGiles

macrumors regular
Nov 23, 2008
Sydney, Australia
Has anyone else in iOS 17.4 lost the ability to report incidents?
First noticed it was missing in iOS 17.4 beta 4 (updated for the new CarPlay / Maps stuff), and it didn't come back in the release candidate or final version.

In Australia, if that matters....

Not visible in CarPlay, nor when just navigating with Maps on iPhone.

Still listed as available in Australia - https://www.apple.com/au/ios/feature-availability/#maps-report-an-incident

californiaburrito

macrumors newbie
Nov 22, 2023
I reported an issue of a wrong location to Apple Maps last week, then today got a notification asking for more info. I didn't have the time to add the extra info so I tapped the "Not Now" button. Now I go back into Maps and I can't find how to get back to where I am supposed to add the extra info. I can't find any "Pending Issues" section or something like that. Do I have to go back to "Report an Issue" and just do it all over again or is there a section in Maps that will list the pending "Not Now"s?

MozMan68

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Jun 29, 2010
South Cackalacky
I reported an issue of a wrong location to Apple Maps last week, then today got a notification asking for more info. I didn't have the time to add the extra info so I tapped the "Not Now" button. Now I go back into Maps and I can't find how to get back to where I am supposed to add the extra info. I can't find any "Pending Issues" section or something like that. Do I have to go back to "Report an Issue" and just do it all over again or is there a section in Maps that will list the pending "Not Now"s?

In the Maps app, tap on your picture/account on the right hand side of the main menu below the map…tap on “reports”….reports in review are right at the top

californiaburrito

macrumors newbie
Nov 22, 2023
In the Maps app, tap on your picture/account on the right hand side of the main menu below the map…tap on “reports”….reports in review are right at the top
Thank you very much. I should have checked my account picture but it honestly never even occurred to me. I wish Apple made it a bit more obvious that that is where I am supposed to check, like maybe adding a red notification badge to the account picture. Also, I had actually added a line of extra info before I tapped "Not Now" and I see that it didn't save the text I inputed. But I'm digressing. Thanks again, I appreciate your quick reply!

Reactions: MozMan68

Canyda

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2020
Interesting…

I'm surprised that it's taken this long, TBH. You'd think that will all the data the phones collect when we use Maps that it would "learn" some of our usual choices.

For instance, on my normal route to work, I NEVER take the suggested right turn a few KMs from my office to come in "the back way" because it requires me to turn left into my parkade across morning traffic. Instead, I go straight and make a different turn that gets me to the other parkade entrance where I can do an easy right turn into my parkade.

You'd think after not deviating from my preferred route for months and months and months, that Apple would just stop suggesting the one turn I never take and give me the "usual" route I take.

gemma.nye

macrumors newbie
Jan 7, 2024
Apple Watch Topographic Maps Could Expand to iPhone in iOS 18

Another possible big expansion - feels like this takes us one step closer to more areas getting DCE since topography is a significant part of it. Kinda wild DCE expansion is taking so long, but I feel like with the wider expansion of 3D Flyover (which has elevation data), it makes sense they would finally bring it to the regular map mode too. Also given that it's already on watchOS 10.

Benni14

macrumors regular
Nov 12, 2021
Apple Watch Topographic Maps Could Expand to iPhone in iOS 18

Another possible big expansion - feels like this takes us one step closer to more areas getting DCE since topography is a significant part of it. Kinda wild DCE expansion is taking so long, but I feel like with the wider expansion of 3D Flyover (which has elevation data), it makes sense they would finally bring it to the regular map mode too. Also given that it's already on watchOS 10.
Unless I'm wrong but I don't think topographic data is Apple data. So, it can't announce anything.

iOS Geek

macrumors 68000
Nov 7, 2017
Apple has also released Look Around in Salt Lake City. Apple has expanded Look Around coverage in several areas in California.
Not the wide release we’ve been hoping for, but adding new cities AND expanding some already released ones is better! The size of the outward expansion from the Bay Area and Sacramento coverage areas is pretty significant! Cool to see my hometown included! Fun to see how that’s changed since I haven’t been there in years 😂

Last edited:

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Jun 21, 2013
Not the wide release we’ve been hoping for, but adding new cities AND expanding some already released ones is better! The size of the outward expansion from the Bay Area and Sacramento coverage areas is pretty significant! Cool to see my hometown included! Fun to see how that’s changed since I haven’t been there in years

I’m hoping that this is the beginning of a gradual but continuous rollout of this. Still no Look Around in Connecticut. And it still ends just north of Westchester Airport in NY State.

iOS Geek

macrumors 68000
Nov 7, 2017
I see one problem...

While browsing around the expanded Look Around area (SF Bay Area), I noticed the imagery date. October 2018. That got me thinking. Whenever Look Around finally expands to where I live now...imagery from 2018 (that's if they do the same thing they just did for the Bay Area expansion) is going to be VERY out of date and inaccurate. A LOT has changed here in the last 6 years. It would also put Apple pretty significantly behind Google in this area, because our Google Street View imagery is from last August. Sure, there's a lot of places that haven't changed much in the last 6 years, but then you have those places that are the complete opposite and have changed a lot.

While Apple's image quality and smoothness is certainly ahead of Google...recency of imagery could end up still being a win for Google.

gemma.nye

macrumors newbie
Jan 7, 2024
I see one problem...

While browsing around the expanded Look Around area (SF Bay Area), I noticed the imagery date. October 2018. That got me thinking. Whenever Look Around finally expands to where I live now...imagery from 2018 (that's if they do the same thing they just did for the Bay Area expansion) is going to be VERY out of date and inaccurate. A LOT has changed here in the last 6 years. It would also put Apple pretty significantly behind Google in this area, because our Google Street View imagery is from last August. Sure, there's a lot of places that haven't changed much in the last 6 years, but then you have those places that are the complete opposite and have changed a lot.

While Apple's image quality and smoothness is certainly ahead of Google...recency of imagery could end up still being a win for Google.
Just to confirm, you live in an expanded part of an area that already has Look Around? Austin & San Antonio just got LA and the imagery is around 2021-2022

iOS Geek

macrumors 68000
Nov 7, 2017
Just to confirm, you live in an expanded part of an area that already has Look Around? Austin & San Antonio just got LA and the imagery is around 2021-2022
I do not live in a covered area, unfortunately. (To add insult to injury though, I live juuuuuuust outside of a covered area...that also has the DCE 😂). I was just looking at the SF Bay Area because the city I grew up in is now covered by the expansion.

You are correct though, it seems! The new coverage areas seem to have more recent imagery than the areas that got imagery from an expansion of an already released area. (Though I have only looked at the expansion from the SF Bay Area so far. I haven't looked at any of the cities in Southern California to see if those are also from 2018).

Benni14

macrumors regular
Nov 12, 2021
IMG_1964.jpeg
IMG_1965.jpeg
IMG_1966.jpeg

I see one problem...

You are right. It's crazy that Apple can release images dating from 2018. 6 years to have images from 2018, we expect better from Apple. For example, Apple released images of a highway in 2018... Another inconsistency is the discontinuity of Look Around on some sections. There is even a road that has Look Around on one direction and not on the other. It gives the impression that Apple has quickly released this expansion. Apple has not accustomed us to this, I must say that it is rather worrying because the benefit of the doubt is no longer admissible now....

Reactions: iOS Geek
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.