Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

MozMan68

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Jun 29, 2010
South Cackalacky
Is there the Maps application on the Vision pro?

Not according to the App Store…but I wonder if the App Store on my iPhone (while showing iPhone, iPad, iMessage, etc. ) would even show that it was available since it doesn’t show Mac.

Guessing VisionPro App Store can only be seen on the VisionnPro? Can’t seem to find a list anywhere and Maps isn’t showing any of the app images online.

Reactions: JFLECHUGA

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Jun 21, 2013
Not according to the App Store…but I wonder if the App Store on my iPhone (while showing iPhone, iPad, iMessage, etc. ) would even show that it was available since it doesn’t show Mac.

Guessing VisionPro App Store can only be seen on the VisionnPro? Can’t seem to find a list anywhere and Maps isn’t showing any of the app images online.

I don’t recall seeing it during my demo. But I wasn’t paying the closest attention.

iOS Geek

macrumors 68000
Nov 7, 2017
I don’t recall seeing it during my demo. But I wasn’t paying the closest attention.
If that‘s the case, then that would pretty much put a nail in any possibility of a release related to Vision Pro. So…WWDC it likely is (hopefully)!

Reactions: gwhizkids

MozMan68

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Jun 29, 2010
South Cackalacky
Fairly lengthy discussion over on Reddit about the lack of Look Around here in the US.

Moz, I don’t know if you were participating or not.

I actually run the Maps subreddit…hah.

I’m sick of repeating my theory (which i think is spot on)…done with the whining. It will come when it comes and it will be awesome! DCE for everyone!!!!

G1Ravage

macrumors 65816
Dec 28, 2018
Queens, New York, USA
I'm a bit unhappy with Maps at the moment.

Not sure what's happened over the past two or three months, but my personal experiences have gone downhill a bit.

First, there was that "pendulum swing" where the detailed directions dropped back to there being fewer specifics about the route. Then, highway exit details suddenly changed. Some examples:

Old:
"Exit 29E-W: Grand Central Parkway to Happauge"

Now:
"Exit 29E-W: To Happauge and Triboro Bridge"

Old:
"Exit 4: NY-172 to Mount Kisco"

Now:
"Exit 4: To Mount Kisco"

It seems many highway exits have lost the name of the road you're actually exiting ONTO, in favor of just showing the control points listed on the sign. Not sure how this happened, or if it's intentional or a glitch of some kind. But in the case of the Exit 29 example above, Maps would normally parse my ultimate direction and only list the control point in that direction. Now it's showing both control points.

Besides all that, a few destinations that I regularly drive to, Maps is suddenly not directing me to the correct end point. A pizzeria I visit a few times a year upstate, where Maps used to direct me through the somewhat complicated parking lot to the restaurant's front door, Maps left me off on the street on my most recent visit, nowhere near one of the two driveways.

Additionally, when driving to my mother's apartment, which for many years has always left me right in front, directions are now leaving me around the corner on a different road. This just happened out of nowhere. And despite requesting corrections a month ago, this has still not been corrected.

I wonder what's up. Maybe something big is happening behind the scenes in preparation for iOS 18.

MozMan68

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Jun 29, 2010
South Cackalacky

Not sure what's happened over the past two or three months, but my personal experiences have gone downhill a bit.

First, there was that "pendulum swing" where the detailed directions dropped back to there being fewer specifics about the route. Then, highway exit details suddenly changed. Some examples:

Old:

Now:

Old:

Now:

It seems many highway exits have lost the name of the road you're actually exiting ONTO, in favor of just showing the control points listed on the sign. Not sure how this happened, or if it's intentional or a glitch of some kind. But in the case of the Exit 29 example above, Maps would normally parse my ultimate direction and only list the control point in that direction. Now it's showing both control points.

Besides all that, a few destinations that I regularly drive to, Maps is suddenly not directing me to the correct end point. A pizzeria I visit a few times a year upstate, where Maps used to direct me through the somewhat complicated parking lot to the restaurant's front door, Maps left me off on the street on my most recent visit, nowhere near one of the two driveways.

Additionally, when driving to my mother's apartment, which for many years has always left me right in front, directions are now leaving me around the corner on a different road. This just happened out of nowhere. And despite requesting corrections a month ago, this has still not been corrected.

I wonder what's up. Maybe something big is happening behind the scenes in preparation for iOS 18.

Can you share the name of the Pizzeria? I have found that if a POI is updated, sometimes my saved info takes me to the wrong spot…like, I have to start fresh and search the POI from scratch. But maybe you did that?

Spitballin’ here.::

G1Ravage

macrumors 65816
Dec 28, 2018
Queens, New York, USA
Can you share the name of the Pizzeria? I have found that if a POI is updated, sometimes my saved info takes me to the wrong spot…like, I have to start fresh and search the POI from scratch. But maybe you did that?

Spitballin’ here.::
I woke up to a Maps notification that they were updating the POI, and I checked now and the directions went into the parking lot again.

Actual businesses tend to get corrected much more quickly than private addresses from my experience.

Reactions: Shifts and MozMan68

Benni14

macrumors regular
Nov 12, 2021
If you have difficulty correcting a few things, there is always this email: maps_escalations@apple.com. I often use it to fix a parking lot entrance, closed road or any other issues that are complicated to correct on the application.

Reactions: BBDDVV

iOS Geek

macrumors 68000
Nov 7, 2017
Two new cities have Look Around in Japan as well as an expansion of the Look Around area.
Look Around expanded In Japan
Nice to see some news on Look Around again! Not the news I was hoping for, but something is better than nothing 😂

Even if they don't release any new cities in the US anytime soon, I'd settle for them expanding the cities they already have released...

Reactions: Benni14

Benni14

macrumors regular
Nov 12, 2021

Old:

Now:

Old:

Now:

I also have a complaint on Maps. For about 1 month, Maps has been persisting in making me go through a slower path. Whatever the traffic conditions, he always chooses the same road. Previously, it alternated according to traffic. Today I forced to take the road faster. It was updated immediately and the travel time was reduced by 8 minutes. This is not negligible. I don't understand why he continues to guide me towards this longer path.

G1Ravage

macrumors 65816
Dec 28, 2018
Queens, New York, USA
Oh yeah, one more complaint....

A road near my office recently changed directions from one way westbound to one way eastbound, and new bike lanes and road markings were installed. This occurred around three months ago.

I immediately sent in a correction to Apple Maps. In three months, they still haven't changed the direction of the road. All they have done so far is "close" the road from the wrong direction, so that directions won't attempt to send you that way.

Google Maps and Waze fixed the road, without prompting, almost immediately when the change happened.

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Jun 21, 2013
Oh yeah, one more complaint....

A road near my office recently changed directions from one way westbound to one way eastbound, and new bike lanes and road markings were installed. This occurred around three months ago.

I immediately sent in a correction to Apple Maps. In three months, they still haven't changed the direction of the road. All they have done so far is "close" the road from the wrong direction, so that directions won't attempt to send you that way.

Google Maps and Waze fixed the road, without prompting, almost immediately when the change happened.

Maybe because all the Apple Maps people are busy preparing LookAround for the entire US?

One can hope, right?

Spank7

macrumors newbie
Feb 11, 2024
Greece
Is the any specific way we can update the maps to places we visit is there is a point of interest ?

iOS Geek

macrumors 68000
Nov 7, 2017
Last edited:

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Jun 21, 2013
Cool! But ugh. Still only going city by city This is getting ridiculous.

In my opinion, if they're going to just continue the city by city releases...I'd like to see the time between releases shrink a bit, because the way it's going now is snail's pace...

And they’ll never get to areas between larger cities at that rate.

I remain convinced that everything will be released at once. Someday.

G1Ravage

macrumors 65816
Dec 28, 2018
Queens, New York, USA
Apple going crazy today....

Woke up to find five reports of mine were fixed. Including fixing the routing of an underground subway line that normally takes a long time to get a fix for.

Later in the morning, I made a report regarding the entrance to a parking garage near my office, and they fixed it four hours later.

I think they operate fixes in cycles based on geographical areas. Right now they're concentrating on fixes in the New York City area, which is why I'm suddenly getting responses.

iOS Geek

macrumors 68000
Nov 7, 2017
Just noticed an update to the 3D imagery for satellite view as well as a pretty sizable expansion of it! Where it used to cover only half of my town…it now covers the entire town (including updating the parts that already had it) and pretty much ALL of our surrounding ones. That wasn’t the kind of Maps update I was holding my breath for, but it’s nice to see something new!

Reactions: Benni14
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.