Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

MozMan68

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Jun 29, 2010
South Cackalacky
Exactly! It just seems weird that of all the countries Apple has released Look Around in, the US and UK are the only ones seemingly going city by city. I remember thinking when Canada was released, that it might be a sign of things to come because that release was MASSIVE.

Just watch. We’ll all give up hope and they’ll release it the next day

We have a whole thread on Reddit discussing this where I explain my theory on what’s going on…

Reactions: iOS Geek

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Jun 21, 2013
We have a whole thread on Reddit discussing this where I explain my theory on what’s going on…

You may be on to something there. But, if so, major screw up on their part not getting this done faster. That is probably the biggest differentiator with Google Maps at this point. They probably have “ignored” about 55% of the US population.

iOS Geek

macrumors 68000
Nov 7, 2017
Looking around Reddit, there seems to be a decent amount of news related to Look Around...for places that have already had it :rolleyes: Many of us are waiting for an initial release, meanwhile there are places getting their second or even third update.

However, in an effort to look at the positive side of things...Apple seems to be pretty busy with Maps as of late!

Last edited:

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Jun 21, 2013
Looking around Reddit, there seems to be a decent amount of news related to Look Around...for places that have already had it :rolleyes: Many of us are waiting for an initial release, meanwhile there are places getting their second or even third update.

However, in an effort to look at the positive side of things...Apple seems to be pretty busy with Maps as of late!

I’m still holding out hope that something happens in connection with the release of the VisionPro in several weeks (I’m thinking the first or second week in February). There are still a lot of unanswered questions about the software stack that will appear on that device. I suspect they’re going to do another big demo of it, perhaps sometime in late January, where they demonstrate more capabilities of the device. LookAround would remain a killer app there in my mind.

Barring that, it sounds like iOS 18 will be a big release and perhaps it could be part of that.

After that:

MozMan68

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Jun 29, 2010
South Cackalacky
As has been pointed out on Reddit, Apple is already updating LookAround images for countries that came WAY after the US and UK were released. I think that points to a major upgrade STARTING with the US and UK soon like LookAround and DCE features countrywide. It WILL happen...and my head will explode!

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Jun 21, 2013
As has been pointed out on Reddit, Apple is already updating LookAround images for countries that came WAY after the US and UK were released. I think that points to a major upgrade STARTING with the US and UK soon like LookAround and DCE features countrywide. It WILL happen...and my head will explode!

Me too!

G1Ravage

macrumors 65816
Dec 28, 2018
Queens, New York, USA
Not much to talk about here these days. :confused:

So here’s an observation. Every couple of months to a year, Apple Maps’ directions change whether or not they want to specifically call out when the road you’re on forcibly becomes another road.

One example is when I’m driving on the westbound Grand Central Parkway in Queens. In the first photo below, the parkway “ends” and becomes I-278 East. Then I take Exit 46 towards Manhattan.

For the past year, once I get onto the parkway, my next “instruction” is to take Exit 46 towards Manhattan. As of this week, when I get onto the parkway, my next instruction is just that I’ll be merging onto I-278 East in a couple of miles. Once I’m on I-278, then it tells me my next move is to take Exit 46.

Similarly, after taking Exit 46, normally Maps will tell me my next move is to take Exit 2 onto the Brooklyn Bridge. But now it tells me I will first be joining the FDR Drive southbound.

This isn’t a new thing, either. It seems like once a year Maps changes the style of directions between something very specific about each move to something a bit more generic.

My head canon is that there are two heads of Apple Maps development that are fighting each other over how detailed driving directions should be, and every so often the other person sneaks a change of code in to “flip the script”, so to speak. This has changed back and forth many times since the iOS 12 days.

View attachment 2312340

View attachment 2312339

Personally, I like the more detailed directions. Yes, if you’re not taking an exit and you’re just staying on the highway, it may seem unnecessary to tell you the name or designation of the highway is changing. But as is the case in big cities like New York, where most highways have sequential exit numbering schemes, Maps may tell you to take a particular exit 25 miles down the road, but that might seem odd if the current numbering scheme doesn’t match up.
Following up on this post…I believe Maps has now swung back in the opposite direction again. I’ve been traveling around with family in upstate New York all weekend, and have actually had some disappointing experiences with poor highway exit data and some odd glitches here and there. But check this out:

IMG_1021.jpeg

There are so many necessary instructions missing from this. After getting onto the Palisades Interstate Parkway, Maps sends you 30 miles with no other instructions. But during this trek, you travel on three different highways, two of them being different Interstates, and take at least one exit. All of that is omitted, probably because you’re taking the Palisades to the very end of the highway where it forces you onto I-95 at the George Washington Bridge, and then maybe it omits Exit 6B because you’re *technically* staying on the Cross Bronx Expressway (although changing Interstate numbers).

Those exits used to be displayed as instructions for clarification as to where you need to go. This is exactly what I mean by the detailed directions pendulum swinging back and forth.

dallardice

macrumors regular
Jan 29, 2008
This must be a server side change as I'm not running the iOS beta, but I notice that in the UK the camera warning is now just "Speed camera ahead" rather than (e.g.) "70mph speed camera ahead" which also added "Please watch your speed" if you were travelling over the speed limit. I first noticed it on a stretch of smart motorway where they have variable speed cameras (and where the map has just been updated to add them, on the M4 J3-12) but it seems to be the case for all speed cameras, not just in variable limit areas.

StumpyBloke

macrumors 603
Apr 21, 2012
England
This must be a server side change as I'm not running the iOS beta, but I notice that in the UK the camera warning is now just "Speed camera ahead" rather than (e.g.) "70mph speed camera ahead" which also added "Please watch your speed" if you were travelling over the speed limit. I first noticed it on a stretch of smart motorway where they have variable speed cameras (and where the map has just been updated to add them, on the M4 J3-12) but it seems to be the case for all speed cameras, not just in variable limit areas.

Just came on to say the same thing. UK too and not had the camera speed alerts for a few weeks now.

G1Ravage

macrumors 65816
Dec 28, 2018
Queens, New York, USA
Following up on this post…I believe Maps has now swung back in the opposite direction again. I’ve been traveling around with family in upstate New York all weekend, and have actually had some disappointing experiences with poor highway exit data and some odd glitches here and there. But check this out:

View attachment 2328594

There are so many necessary instructions missing from this. After getting onto the Palisades Interstate Parkway, Maps sends you 30 miles with no other instructions. But during this trek, you travel on three different highways, two of them being different Interstates, and take at least one exit. All of that is omitted, probably because you’re taking the Palisades to the very end of the highway where it forces you onto I-95 at the George Washington Bridge, and then maybe it omits Exit 6B because you’re *technically* staying on the Cross Bronx Expressway (although changing Interstate numbers).

Those exits used to be displayed as instructions for clarification as to where you need to go. This is exactly what I mean by the detailed directions pendulum swinging back and forth.
"Forced" turns are also no longer being announced. That pendulum really swung far this time! :(

Canyda

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2020
Yeah, I have noticed recently that my commute to work now notes the one major left hand turn I have to make 10 km ahead and not the fact the road I am on changes names three times before that turn.

Reactions: G1Ravage

iOS Geek

macrumors 68000
Nov 7, 2017
I’m still holding out hope that something happens in connection with the release of the VisionPro in several weeks (I’m thinking the first or second week in February). There are still a lot of unanswered questions about the software stack that will appear on that device. I suspect they’re going to do another big demo of it, perhaps sometime in late January, where they demonstrate more capabilities of the device. LookAround would remain a killer app there in my mind.

Barring that, it sounds like iOS 18 will be a big release and perhaps it could be part of that.

After that:
Alright now that we have a release date for VisionPro…what do you think? If we don’t see any big Look Around release around that time or even in the next few weeks leading up to it…then I’ve got absolutely zero guess for when it might actually happen 😂

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Jun 21, 2013
Alright now that we have a release date for VisionPro…what do you think? If we don’t see any big Look Around release around that time or even in the next few weeks leading up to it…then I’ve got absolutely zero guess for when it might actually happen

Yeah…that’s pretty much where I am!

iOS Geek

macrumors 68000
Nov 7, 2017
Apparently there's been some cities that have received another round of updated imagery.

On one hand...ok good. Relevant imagery is important for sure. No argument there! On the other hand...come on, Apple. INITIAL releases are important as well. For example...the Look Around imagery for the Chicago area has had its initial release and an update (at least in the areas I looked at). At this rate, they'll probably have a third and fourth update before I even see an initial release in my area 😂🙄

It's been said plenty of times here that Apple's goal with the US might be to release Look Around with POI labels nationwide, instead of having the labels in certain places. That would make sense if it's true. However, a part of me thinks we're getting into "no excuse for it taking this long" territory. With how much time has passed, it would have been nice to at least have every state's largest city (and/or its capitol) covered, at a minimum. Even releasing one full state at a time would be an improvement over what we're currently getting. Heck, at this point, I'd even settle for them giving us a roadmap (haha) of timeframes for future releases of anything.

iOS Geek

macrumors 68000
Nov 7, 2017
When DCE features are released for the entire USA, all will be forgiven.
The weirdest thing about that (to me, anyway) is that they never actually said that was going to happen (I don’t think). But at the same time, it really WOULD make sense as an explanatio!

MozMan68

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Jun 29, 2010
South Cackalacky
The weirdest thing about that (to me, anyway) is that they never actually said that was going to happen (I don’t think). But at the same time, it really WOULD make sense as an explanatio!

They did say it…in the Maps notes when iOS 14? was covered at WWDC…and then retracted off the website at release date.

On my phone now….but in actually had it noted on the 1st page of release info that I update when their website is updated after WWDC.

Reactions: iOS Geek

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Jun 21, 2013
They did say it…in the Maps notes when iOS 14? was covered at WWDC…and then retracted off the website at release date.

On my phone now….but in actually had it noted on the 1st page of release info that I update when their website is updated after WWDC.

Well we’re just over two and a half weeks away from ever I would consider the last valid excuse: the release of the VisionPro.

G1Ravage

macrumors 65816
Dec 28, 2018
Queens, New York, USA
I was just made aware of the absolutely shocking lack of availability for Apple Maps in South Korea. Wife is trying to get me out there in October to meet the other half of her family.

Apparently, the government refuses to allow certain detailed information to be stored on overseas servers. But does that mean certain info and details would only become visible when viewing locally from within Korea? Much like how certain info about China is only available within China? Even Google Maps is limited in its info, apparently.

That…sucks. I expected to be able use Apple Maps in Seoul just like as any other major city on the planet.

Benni14

macrumors regular
Nov 12, 2021
I was just made aware of the absolutely shocking lack of availability for Apple Maps in South Korea. Wife is trying to get me out there in October to meet the other half of her family.

Apparently, the government refuses to allow certain detailed information to be stored on overseas servers. But does that mean certain info and details would only become visible when viewing locally from within Korea? Much like how certain info about China is only available within China? Even Google Maps is limited in its info, apparently.

That…sucks. I expected to be able use Apple Maps in Seoul just like as any other major city on the planet.
Yes, Apple has made a request to survey South Korea. This was refused because Apple does not store the data there. We will see if Apple does as in Hong Kong and Taiwan.

• Sad
Reactions: G1Ravage

Benni14

macrumors regular
Nov 12, 2021
Apparently there's been some cities that have received another round of updated imagery.

On one hand...ok good. Relevant imagery is important for sure. No argument there! On the other hand...come on, Apple. INITIAL releases are important as well. For example...the Look Around imagery for the Chicago area has had its initial release and an update (at least in the areas I looked at). At this rate, they'll probably have a third and fourth update before I even see an initial release in my area 😂🙄

It's been said plenty of times here that Apple's goal with the US might be to release Look Around with POI labels nationwide, instead of having the labels in certain places. That would make sense if it's true. However, a part of me thinks we're getting into "no excuse for it taking this long" territory. With how much time has passed, it would have been nice to at least have every state's largest city (and/or its capitol) covered, at a minimum. Even releasing one full state at a time would be an improvement over what we're currently getting. Heck, at this point, I'd even settle for them giving us a roadmap (haha) of timeframes for future releases of anything.
Indeed, Justin O'Beirne mentioned the subject some time ago. He said that the Poi labels in Look Around were a manual process. It is possible that Apple needed to do this manually at the beginning. Google is already able to get Poi labels in Street View and I doubt that this is done manually because the coverage is much higher than Look Around. It doesn't make sense for Apple to add Poi labels one by one in Look Around when it already automates a lot of data to design the new map data.

So what Google is able to do Apple should be able to do. In my opinion, if Apple has taken so long, it could be explained by several reasons. Apple carried out tests to automate this task and it took longer. It is also possible that Apple wanted to bring a new experience and had to extract more data. It is also possible that Apple wanted to extract more data for DCE and had to test this. Whatever the reason, it will be a disappointment if Apple does not import a novelty when it releases Look Around or and the DCE to the entire USA.

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Jun 21, 2013

Given the large standing enemy army 20 miles away that would love having detailed map data of a place they might invade, I can certainly understand the ROK’s position.

Reactions: Dunk the Lunk

iOS Geek

macrumors 68000
Nov 7, 2017
Apple Maps Image Collection’s US page got updated today for 2024 btw!

Reddit thread: https://www.reddit.com/r/applemaps/s/VAeG6IGUMw
Nice to see!

I was looking at the dates for the backpack locations for Illinois and thought "why wait until May?". Annnnd then of course I remembered to look out the window at all the snow and think "oh yeah. Duh" 😂 I guess they don't want them walking around in these sub-zero temps with even MORE sub-zero wind chills. 😂😂😂 It'll be warmer by May. Maybe 😂

In all seriousness though, nice to see something in terms of news!

Reactions: gemma.nye

G1Ravage

macrumors 65816
Dec 28, 2018
Queens, New York, USA
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.