Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

gemma.nye

macrumors newbie
Jan 7, 2024
What does this tell us, really? The dates for the backpack collection are a bit more specific, but the vehicle collection timeframe is all January 2024 to December 2024. They seem to just be saying, "We'll be out there sometime this year."
Pretty much just like you said - that they're (still) mapping all of the US roads and are planning on covering pedestrian paths in certain areas for certain timeframes.

It's pretty vague, but hopefully it does point to more areas getting DCE/overall better coverage soon!

StumpyBloke

macrumors 603
Apr 21, 2012
England
Still no speed camera speed limit notifications in the UK. This has now been screwed for month after month after month.

StumpyBloke

macrumors 603
Apr 21, 2012
England
What do you mean exactly? I get warning alerts when approaching speed cameras

Prior to the last few updates, I would get a message alerting me to an upcoming speed camera, then I would receive a second message stating the road speed limit and a warning to slow down if I was exceeding said limit.

This was removed awhile ago as have others as others have said. And with the latest update it has not returned. This is the UK. Don’t know about anywhere else.

The map still shows the speed limit so it’s not a lack of data issue. #ItJustDoesNotWork

StumpyBloke

macrumors 603
Apr 21, 2012
England
This must be a server side change as I'm not running the iOS beta, but I notice that in the UK the camera warning is now just "Speed camera ahead" rather than (e.g.) "70mph speed camera ahead" which also added "Please watch your speed" if you were travelling over the speed limit. I first noticed it on a stretch of smart motorway where they have variable speed cameras (and where the map has just been updated to add them, on the M4 J3-12) but it seems to be the case for all speed cameras, not just in variable limit areas.

Still screwed for me! Assuming the same for you?

Dunk the Lunk

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2007
.uk

Oh right! I’ll need to check exactly what it says when I pass a normal camera, but most of my recent travel is/has been on motorways with variable limits and I was just glad when the announcement stopped defaulting to 70mph! Will get back to you but maybe this isn’t a bug as such and it’s just Apple Maps can’t distinguish between cameras in variable areas and cameras in fixed speed areas?

dallardice

macrumors regular
Jan 29, 2008
It's still the same for me although I'm not sure this is an error - I didn't like the passive-aggressive "Please watch your speed" if I was 1mph over the speed limit. Initially I thought it was only on variable speed cams on motorways but it does seem that they are just the generic warning now. Having said that I live most of the time in Wales and Apple Maps is way behind on the changes to speed limits there so the announced numbers have not been particularly useful in the last six months...

StumpyBloke

macrumors 603
Apr 21, 2012
England
It's still the same for me although I'm not sure this is an error - I didn't like the passive-aggressive "Please watch your speed" if I was 1mph over the speed limit. Initially I thought it was only on variable speed cams on motorways but it does seem that they are just the generic warning now. Having said that I live most of the time in Wales and Apple Maps is way behind on the changes to speed limits there so the announced numbers have not been particularly useful in the last six months...

Even if they got rid of the ‘please watch your speed’ alert, they could still say something along the lines of 60 mph speed camera ahead and just leave it at that.

Dunk the Lunk

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2007
.uk
Even if they got rid of the ‘please watch your speed’ alert, they could still say something along the lines of 60 mph speed camera ahead and just leave it at that.

The other problem with the announcement of the speed limit number is that they are also variable depending on your vehicle (in the UK at least). You could be on a single carriageway national speed limit 60mph road but for many vehicles the speed limit is actually 50mph (and in Scotland is 40mph for large HGVs). So Apple Maps would also need to know what vehicle you are driving to give the correct speed limit.

https://www.gov.uk/speed-limits (so that @MozMan68 can laugh at us some more 😉).

JFLECHUGA

macrumors regular
Aug 10, 2021
León (Spain)
This is a Wiki Thread for the latest updates to the Apple Maps app. Note that some of the updates listed below may only be available in the latest beta software and not necessarily publicly available until iOS17 is released.

The thread for new Maps updates that occurred during iOS 16 can be found HERE.

The thread for new Maps updates that occurred during iOS 15 can be found
HERE.

The thread for new Maps updates that occurred during iOS 14 can be found
HERE.

The thread for new Maps updates that occurred during iOS 12 and iOS 13 can be found
HERE.

Please simply click on "EDIT" at the bottom of this post to make changes to the noted areas below.

Please post observed/confirmed changes to the Apple Maps imagery and POI's (from all formats; iOS, iPadOS, MacOS and CarPlay) as new posts to this thread.

Thanks!

Updated Maps Areas
Countries are listed alphabetically. Where an entire country did not roll out at once, areas within the country are listed in the chronological order in which they rolled out.
  • Australia - Preview released October 19, 2021, Wide release December 10, 2021 (via)
  • Austria - Preview released January 23, 2023, Wide release April 7, 2023
  • Canada - Preview released October 20, 2020, Wide release December 10, 2020 (via)
  • Croatia - Preview released March 10, 2023, Wide release April 7, 2023
  • Czechia - Preview released March 10, 2023, Wide release April 7, 2023
  • Denmark - Preview released August 31, 2023, Wide release October 12, 2023
  • Finland (Including the Åland Islands) - Preview released January 23, 2023, Wide release March 2, 2023
  • France - Preview released May 29, 2022, Wide release July 8, 2022
  • Germany - Preview released March 4, 2022, Wide release April 21, 2022
  • Greece - Preview released August 31, 2023, Wide release October 12, 2023
  • Hong Kong - Preview released May 2, 2023, Wide release June 15, 2023
  • Hungary - Preview released March 10, 2023, Wide release April 7, 2023
  • Ireland - Preview released August 22, 2020, Wide release October 1, 2020 (via)
  • Italy - Preview released July 29, 2021, wide release September 10, 2021
  • Japan - Wide Release -- August 4, 2020
  • Monaco - Preview released May 29, 2022
  • New Zealand - Preview released May 29, 2022, Wide release July 8, 2022 (via)
  • Norway - Preview released January 23, 2023, Wide release March 2, 2023
  • Poland - Preview released March 10, 2023, Wide release April 7, 2023
  • Portugal (Not included: Madeira, Azores) - Preview released April 22, 2021, Wide release June 7, 2021
  • Singapore - Preview released March 7, 2022, Wide release April 21, 2022
  • Slovakia - Preview released May 2, 2023, Wide release June 15, 2023
  • Slovenia - Preview released March 10, 2023, Wide release April 7, 2023
  • Spain (Included: Canary Islands, Balearic Islands. Not included: Ceuta, Melilla) - Preview released April 22, 2021, Wide release June 7, 2021
  • Sweden - Preview released January 23, 2023, Wide release March 2, 2023
  • Taiwan - Preview released May 2, 2023, Wide release June 15, 2023
  • United Kingdom - Preview released August 22, 2020, Wide release October 1, 2020 (via)
    • Crown Dependencies:
      • Guernsey, Jersey and the Isle of Man - Preview released August 22, 2020, Wide release October 1, 2020
    • Overseas territories:
      • Gibraltar - Preview released April 22, 2021, Wide release 7 June 2021
  • United States of America -- Preview started July 3, 2018, Wide release completed January 30, 2020

Look Around
Countries are listed alphabetically. Where an entire country did not roll out at once, areas within the country are listed in the chronological order in which they rolled out.
  • Australia
    • Entire country added on December 10, 2021
  • Austria
    • Entire country added on September 26, 2023
  • Canada
    • Nearly every major city as well as most of their suburbs and main highway system across the entire country!! -- Added December 10, 2020
  • Croatia
    • Entire country added on April 7, 2023
  • Czechia
  • Denmark
    • Entire country added on October 12, 2023
  • Finland
    • Entire country added on March 2, 2023 (not including the Åland Islands)
  • France
    • Entire country added on July 8, 2022
  • Germany
    • Munich -- Added April 21, 2022
    • Frankfurt & Stuttgart -- Added May 19, 2022
    • Berlin, Hamburg and Leipzig -- Added June 30, 2022
    • Remainder of country -- Added July 25, 2022
  • Greece
    • Entire country added on October 12, 2023
  • Hong Kong
    • Entire country added on October 19, 2023
  • Hungary
  • Ireland
    • Dublin -- Added October 1, 2020
  • Italy
    • Entire country including San Marino and Vatican City when wide released on September 10, 2021
  • Japan
    • Tokyo, Osaka, Kyoto, and Nagoya -- Added August 4, 2020
    • Fukuoka, Hiroshima, and Takamatsu -- Added December 4, 2020
    • Sendai and Kanazawa -- Added May 17, 2021
  • New Zealand
    • Entire country added on July 8, 2022
  • Norway
    • Entire country added on March 2, 2023
  • Poland
  • Portugal (Not included: Madeira, Azores) - Released June 7, 2021
  • Singapore
    • Entire country added April 21, 2022
  • Slovenia
  • Spain (Included: Canary Islands, Balearic Islands. Not included: Ceuta, Melilla) - Released June 7, 2021
  • Sweden
    • Entire country added on March 2, 2023
  • Taiwan
    • Entire country added on September 26, 2023
  • United Kingdom
    • London -- Added October 1, 2020
    • Edinburgh -- Added October 1, 2020
    • Overseas territories:
      • Gibraltar - Added 7 June, 2021
  • United States of America
    • Hawaii (Island of O'ahu) - Added June 3, 2019
    • Las Vegas metro area - Added June 3, 2019
    • San Francisco/San Jose metro area - Added June 3, 2019
    • Los Angeles metro area - Added September 30, 2019
    • New York City metro area - Added September 30, 2019, Expanded September 20, 2021
    • Houston, TX - Added November 18, 2019
    • Santa Cruz, CA - Added December 18, 2019
    • Boston, MA - Added February 19, 2020
    • Philadelphia, PA - Added February 19, 2020, expanded on December 16, 2021 with release of detailed city experience
    • Washington DC -- Added February 19, 2020
    • Chicago metro area -- Added April 20, 2020
    • Seattle, WA -- Added June 29, 2020
    • Phoenix, AZ -- Added October 7, 2020
    • Miami, FL metro area (including Ft. Lauderdale) -- Added December 16, 2020
    • Detroit, MI metro area (including Ann Arbor, Pontiac and Rochester Hills) -- Added December 16, 2020
    • Denver, CO metro area (including Boulder) -- added December 16, 2020
    • San Diego, CA metro area (including South to the Mexican border and as far North as Escondido and Carlsbad) -- Added February 3, 2021
    • Portland, OR metro area -- added February 3, 2021
    • Atlanta, GA metro area -- added May 12, 2021
    • Dallas/Fort Worth, TX -- Added July 27, 2023
    • Minneapolis/St. Paul, MN -- Added July 27, 2023
    • Tampa/St. Petersburg, FL -- Added July 27, 2023
    • Sacramento, CA -- Added November 2, 2023

Detailed City Experience

• San Francisco available as of initial iOS15 beta release on June 7, 2021
  • Los Angeles available as of iOS15 developer beta 5 release on August 10, 2021. Updated with additional detailed POI's on August 26, 2021
  • NYC available on iOS 15 release day, September 20, 2021
  • London available on September 27, 2021
  • San Diego and Washington DC available on November 11, 2021
  • Philadelphia available on December 16, 2021
  • Vancouver, Toronto and Montreal, CANADA added on March 24, 2022
  • Seattle, Miami and Atlanta added on August 5, 2022
  • Chicago and Las Vegas added on September 12, 2022
  • Sydney and Melbourne (Australia) added on January 20, 2023
  • Berlin, Hamburg and Munich (Germany) added on February 17, 2023
  • Boston added on March 16, 2023
  • Paris (France) added on June 5, 2023
  • Dallas and Houston added on July 27, 2023
  • Madrid and Barcelona (Spain) as well as Lisbon (Portugal) added on October 5, 2023
Coverage, Offline Maps and Native Ratings Maps (updated October 2023)
Thanks to KickNo5073 on Reddit for letting us share the Maps he has created since he hasn't been on here long enough to edit the Wiki

xsiek9vfgpub1.jpg

offline-maps-08-2023-large-png.2297301

4d24u6y0unwa1.jpg

iOS 17 Notable Changes
  • Download maps to use offline​

Save an area of a map to your iPhone and explore it while offline. View information like hours and ratings on place cards and get turn-by-turn directions for driving, walking, cycling, or riding transit.

• Enhanced electric vehicle routing

When driving an electric vehicle, you can now choose a preferred charging network and see real-time charging station availability.

Report Errors Without Using The App
https://www.apple.com/feedback/maps-ios-ipados.html

Feature Availability by Region
https://www.apple.com/ios/feature-availability/

Apple Vehicle & Pedestrian Image Collection Schedule
https://maps.apple.com/imagecollection

Business Connect - Control how your business is viewed across all Apple devices
Apple Business Connect

Maps Developer Site
https://developer.apple.com/maps/

Maps Data Providers List
wow!!! wow!!! wow!!!! 👍🏻

JFLECHUGA

macrumors regular
Aug 10, 2021
León (Spain)
I too am experiencing the same thing. Not sure where to find the offline maps, and don't see a reference to it at all...
Download maps

Open the Maps app on your iPhone.

Perform one of the following operations:

Press and hold the map until a pin appears, and then tap Download.

Tap your photo or your initials next to the search field, tap "Maps offline", tap "Download new map" and then enter a location in the search field or tap "Current location".

Adjust the selected area and then tap Download.

To reduce the size of the map you are going to download, select a smaller area.

MozMan68

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Jun 29, 2010
South Cackalacky
Download maps

Open the Maps app on your iPhone.

Perform one of the following operations:

Press and hold the map until a pin appears, and then tap Download.

Tap your photo or your initials next to the search field, tap "Maps offline", tap "Download new map" and then enter a location in the search field or tap "Current location".

Adjust the selected area and then tap Download.

To reduce the size of the map you are going to download, select a smaller area.

Appreciate the help here, but that question was asked back in June during the beta period and was before offline maps was actually released. None of us could use that feature for a day or so.

JFLECHUGA

macrumors regular
Aug 10, 2021
León (Spain)
Appreciate the help here, but that question was asked back in June during the beta period and was before offline maps was actually released. None of us could use that feature for a day or so.
I'm sorry I didn't pay attention to the publication date 🤦🏼‍♂️🤦🏼‍♂️🤦🏼‍♂️

Reactions: MozMan68

iOS Geek

macrumors 68000
Nov 7, 2017
I’m still holding out hope that something happens in connection with the release of the VisionPro in several weeks (I’m thinking the first or second week in February). There are still a lot of unanswered questions about the software stack that will appear on that device. I suspect they’re going to do another big demo of it, perhaps sometime in late January, where they demonstrate more capabilities of the device. LookAround would remain a killer app there in my mind.

Barring that, it sounds like iOS 18 will be a big release and perhaps it could be part of that.

After that:
Now that Vision Pro is out...unless something big happens in terms of Look Around in, let's say, the next week or two...I'll probably give up any remaining hope of anything major before iOS 18.

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Jun 21, 2013
Now that Vision Pro is out...unless something big happens in terms of Look Around in, let's say, the next week or two...I'll probably give up any remaining hope of anything major before iOS 18.
I think it will be iOS 18. I don't see them releasing a significant update like that in this "dead period" between now and WWDC.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.