Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

Xf79ca

macrumors newbie
Dec 7, 2014
In the description for WatchOS 10, under the section “Hiking” it describes trail maps as well as topographic maps. It’s unclear if this is a feature of the compass app, or if there may be a component in Maps. Are there any signs of trails or topographic layer in Maps?

Attachments

• IMG_6195.jpeg
    IMG_6195.jpeg
    622.4 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_6196.jpeg
    IMG_6196.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 100
Reactions: MozMan68

MozMan68

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Jun 29, 2010
South Cackalacky
Oh

That’s quite ironic. The best-selling car in the world, arguably, is the Model Y.. and Tesla does not support CarPlay directly

Well..yeah.

Tesla, Rivian…soon to be GM…all closed systems that force you to use their maps.

But best selling? Not for long. I think practically every major car company outside of GM (and we’ll see how long that lasts) will partner with Apple in one way or another and have said as much.

Reactions: iOS Geek

michelmike

macrumors regular
Mar 11, 2018
Germany
In the description for WatchOS 10, under the section “Hiking” it describes trail maps as well as topographic maps. It’s unclear if this is a feature of the compass app, or if there may be a component in Maps. Are there any signs of trails or topographic layer in Maps?
"In addition to the new compass feature, we are also updating Maps. Starting in the US, we are intruducing a new topographic map with contur lines, hill shading and elevation details along with points of interests and trail heads." WWDC 1:13:00.

Seems like its an update for Apple Maps.

Reactions: Xf79ca and Benni14

iOS Geek

macrumors 68000
Nov 7, 2017
Well..yeah.

Tesla, Rivian…soon to be GM…all closed systems that force you to use their maps.

But best selling? Not for long. I think practically every major car company outside of GM (and we’ll see how long that lasts) will partner with Apple in one way or another and have said as much.
Yeah I don't think GM realizes just how many people will make a decision based on that. I spend less than 3 hours per day in my car...and some days during the week, I don't get in my car at all. But after having it, I wouldn't buy a car without it!

Car with CarPlay vs. Car with CarPlay...buy the car you want and have CarPlay either way! Easy! It just comes down to which car you like more than the other.

Car with CarPlay vs. Car without CarPlay...easy decision! It's a quick way for a manufacturer to lose a surprisingly large number of potential customers.

Reactions: jpdunn13

Jakimo

macrumors 6502
Apr 25, 2008
Colorado Springs
Car with CarPlay vs. Car without CarPlay...easy decision! It's a quick way for a manufacturer to lose a surprisingly large number of potential customers.
I've had two Teslas over five years, and there is NO WAY CarPlay would make me shy to own another. However, I kinda cheat..

I have an arm mount that holds my iPhone magnetically while charging to the top left corner of the Tesla's display. I always use Apple Maps (sometimes Google Maps or Waze) to navigate, and before starting the drive push it to the Tesla. It's nice to have both maps to compare, and I want the Tesla to generally know where I'm going for the occasional FSD(beta) use

But I never use Tesla's maps to steer me, as I find Apple Maps to be much better. It's not CarPlay, but it works just fine. Tesla makes the best rides out there (yep, that's subjective), and their decision to not allow Apple to control the maps etc is a small inconvenience - which turns into a fun comparison tool for me really

PS - Google Maps DOES allow you to let the app know you drive an EV, and even route according to the best energy usage as a preference. Kinda nice, keeping tabs on elevation change and speed priorities (the slower an EV drives, the more energy is saved on the same distances) etc

The only car I'd rather own than a Tesla, these days, is my first.. a '67 VW bus =)))

MozMan68

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Jun 29, 2010
South Cackalacky
I've had two Teslas over five years, and there is NO WAY CarPlay would make me shy to own another. However, I kinda cheat..

I have an arm mount that holds my iPhone magnetically while charging to the top left corner of the Tesla's display. I always use Apple Maps (sometimes Google Maps or Waze) to navigate, and before starting the drive push it to the Tesla. It's nice to have both maps to compare, and I want the Tesla to generally know where I'm going for the occasional FSD(beta) use

But I never use Tesla's maps to steer me, as I find Apple Maps to be much better. It's not CarPlay, but it works just fine. Tesla makes the best rides out there (yep, that's subjective), and their decision to not allow Apple to control the maps etc is a small inconvenience - which turns into a fun comparison tool for me really

PS - Google Maps DOES allow you to let the app know you drive an EV, and even route according to the best energy usage as a preference. Kinda nice, keeping tabs on elevation change and speed priorities (the slower an EV drives, the more energy is saved on the same distances) etc

The only car I'd rather own than a Tesla, these days, is my first.. a '67 VW bus =)))

Are you referring to Google’s “eco” mode/route option?

With car charging options still somewhat specific to the vehicle or user preferences in many cases, having actual EV vehicle stats and info provided/shared to Maps either directly from the car or the car’s app is vital in my opinion.

BMW, Ford and Porsche do this now with Apple Maps…maybe more??

Jakimo

macrumors 6502
Apr 25, 2008
Colorado Springs
Are you referring to Google’s “eco” mode/route option?

With car charging options still somewhat specific to the vehicle or user preferences in many cases, having actual EV vehicle stats and info provided/shared to Maps either directly from the car or the car’s app is vital in my opinion.

BMW, Ford and Porsche do this now with Apple Maps…maybe more??
Yep, preferring fuel-effecient routes, and signifying your engine as Electric (or gas or diesel or hybrid). Apple should certainly follow suit, this only makes sense. Hey, may as well add a Search for POI along route as Google does nicely as well! Oh, I have other requests and observations too.. but I just don't have the right audience to explain and reason towards any effectual change.. unless someone from the Apple Maps team is here!

It would be ideal if any modern car would give all stats and info to any given mobile device, agreed. That's part of the reason I use both always. The Tesla knows itself and its distance projections and charger stations pretty well, so that's covered.

I remember a photo years ago of Woz that had him using something like five or seven different navigation systems as he drove.. I'm kinda like that with an iPhone and a Tesla =) hehe

Reactions: MozMan68

MozMan68

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Jun 29, 2010
South Cackalacky
I had a dream last night about the topographic Map on my Apple Watch and that it was a clue to how DCE will be released for the entire USA as part of the beta in July....so...there's that....

Reactions: michelmike

liquidiq

macrumors member
Jan 30, 2018
Texas
Has anyone found a way to let iOS 17 Maps know that you're driving an EV? Haven't found it yet..

I've got a Ford Mustang Mach-E and it, the Lightning, and the Porsche Taycan are the only ones that support this feature as of now. When you connect your iPhone to the infotainment, it lets you set that you have an EV and then the maps show what your battery level will be at the end of a navigation session. It's pretty nice.

The best part is that your car settings also go over to macOS, so you can create routes with charging stops natively in macOS to plan ahead. Pretty slick.

MozMan68

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Jun 29, 2010
South Cackalacky
I've got a Ford Mustang Mach-E and it, the Lightning, and the Porsche Taycan are the only ones that support this feature as of now. When you connect your iPhone to the infotainment, it lets you set that you have an EV and then the maps show what your battery level will be at the end of a navigation session. It's pretty nice.

The best part is that your car settings also go over to macOS, so you can create routes with charging stops natively in macOS to plan ahead. Pretty slick.

Pretty sure BMW ev’s as well. It’s just that in some cases you need to set it up with the OEM’s app to synch properly.

I’m seriously considering an EV now due to lack of distance and drive time…but only if it’s CarPlay compatible.

G1Ravage

macrumors 65816
Dec 28, 2018
Queens, New York, USA
Sooo...do we know yet *exactly* how the offline maps will work? I've already read that when downloading maps in a DCE area, that Maps will only download the "basic" map look to save on space, which makes sense.

It was also revealed that the "offline" maps will update automatically (as far as POI info, traffic, etc.) when you're in an area with a signal.

Sooo...just as an example. I'm going to Las Vegas in October. Las Vegas is a DCE area. If I decide to visit the Valley of Fire State Park, which I *know* is in a fairly large no-signal area, I would download that "region" of the map so I can properly navigate back to Vegas afterwards. Let's say my map "region" being downloaded includes a chunk of Vegas proper.

On my way back, upon receiving a signal again, would Maps continue utilizing the "offline" map already downloaded? Or would it automatically switch back to the "online" DCE map? And then if I lose signal again for some reason, switch back smoothly to the offline map look?

MozMan68

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Jun 29, 2010
South Cackalacky
Sooo...do we know yet *exactly* how the offline maps will work? I've already read that when downloading maps in a DCE area, that Maps will only download the "basic" map look to save on space, which makes sense.

It was also revealed that the "offline" maps will update automatically (as far as POI info, traffic, etc.) when you're in an area with a signal.

Sooo...just as an example. I'm going to Las Vegas in October. Las Vegas is a DCE area. If I decide to visit the Valley of Fire State Park, which I *know* is in a fairly large no-signal area, I would download that "region" of the map so I can properly navigate back to Vegas afterwards. Let's say my map "region" being downloaded includes a chunk of Vegas proper.

On my way back, upon receiving a signal again, would Maps continue utilizing the "offline" map already downloaded? Or would it automatically switch back to the "online" DCE map? And then if I lose signal again for some reason, switch back smoothly to the offline map look?

I’m pretty sure it will go to DCE.

Offline is for when you are actually “offline”…once Maps has any sort of signal, it should download latest traffic, POI’s, detailed Maps, etc.

Honestly, I would only use this when traveling abroad and haven’t experienced an offline area in many years.

I know some people do, but I simply don’t live in an area without enough coverage to use it.

Reactions: one more

iOS Geek

macrumors 68000
Nov 7, 2017
There is one gripe I have with Apple Maps. As a user in the US...I'm sure people outside the country will find issue with what I'm about to say (and I will agree with anyone who does that, especially because there's a LOT of catching up to do for other countries, and your complaint would definitely be bigger than mine)!

Now onto my gripe...listening to new feature announcements...while still waiting for features from a few years ago to be available. Look Around is what I'm waiting on, and I think that's the only one left. Look Around was announced in 2019. Still waiting. I wonder if I'll get the topographic data before I get Look Around (and I live in a pretty flat area, so that should be...interesting to say the least) 😂 I live close to a Look Around coverage area and that area is also covered by the Detailed City Experience. I work in that coverage area, so at least I get to experience the DCE for a portion of my commute, which tides me over for a bit! The DCE kicks in as soon as I get to the interchange that I exit the highway from on my way to work. From that point, I have about 3 more miles of driving. So for about 3 miles (and a whole whopping 10 minutes of my commute), I get to experience the DCE...and it's great!

For those in other countries that are waiting for a heck of a lot more than I am...I definitely feel bad for you and hope you get caught up sooner rather than later!

iOS Geek

macrumors 68000
Nov 7, 2017
Hong Kong, Taiwan, and Slovakia have been released. No Look Around for any of them though.

EDIT: Just noticed Benni14 beat me to it 😂 By a lot 😂

Reactions: Benni14

MozMan68

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Jun 29, 2010
South Cackalacky
Maps in the VW thinks I’m over 4 hours away in Atlanta…hmmmm

1e8c4b3cd0c0164949be94c0c5b59c29.jpg

89ce95ea69ca24ad487426cf0d8f6aa4.jpg

Quick unplug and plug back in fixed…and now wondering if started from my WiFi at home for some reason?

G1Ravage

macrumors 65816
Dec 28, 2018
Queens, New York, USA
I’ve had some weird glitches occur where Maps “remembers” something after closing, and tries to remember it when reopening after a force close.

One time I was looking at Switzerland and exploring rail stations (for a friend’s trip later this year). I closed Maps completely and went down to my car to navigate somewhere. When I set my destination, Maps tried to get directions to my destination NOT from my current location….but from the train station in Switzerland. And when I tried to cancel, I got this:

Resized_20230509_191430.jpeg

Also, I once in a while get a glitch where…well, I have no idea what this is.

IMG_7153.png

MozMan68

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Jun 29, 2010
South Cackalacky
I just realized I never responded to your post, but yes...topographic data is obvioulsy there and utilized in the DCE areas to show elevation detail (and of course, trees added as well). Hopefully this add means DCE across the US sooner rather than later.

MozMan68

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Jun 29, 2010
South Cackalacky
Quick search and didn’t see anything about this plug symbol on a route I saw this morning. I think the original route was stopping at the grocery store and then to my home.

Don’t think I’ve ever noticed this before. I do not drive an electric car btw.

e0c8b5d1316b4a2c6f22a59e38656c5d.jpg

• Wow
Reactions: G1Ravage
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.