Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.
iOS 17 - Apple Maps Dilema

Fy_djEvWAAMeoYO

dallardice

macrumors regular
Jan 29, 2008
I'm seeing this fairly often on iOS 17 - the marked route showing leaving and rejoining a motorway at the same junction, but it not being listed as such in the route directions.

sonic1000

macrumors newbie
Dec 26, 2022
I'm seeing this fairly often on iOS 17 - the marked route showing leaving and rejoining a motorway at the same junction, but it not being listed as such in the route directions.
I remember when Apple Maps would actually do this outside of beta. “Exit the freeway, make a U-Turn, then get back on.”

Then it’d tell you to do it again…

Benni14

macrumors regular
Nov 12, 2021
It is likely that Apple will start testing expansion 20 with Denmark and Greece. Maybe one or two cities will receive the DCE?

BeauGiles

macrumors regular
Nov 23, 2008
Sydney, Australia
Is it just ChargePoint that is providing live EV data right now?
I can't see any in Australia, nor anything but ChargePoint in the US.

I also note that Apple is ingesting stuff from PlugShare pretty recently - added a bunch of DC fast chargers under construction to PlugShare a week or few ago, and they're all in Apple Maps with (Coming Soon)
(sadly as 'Temporarily Closed' in Apple Maps)

iOS Geek

macrumors 68000
Nov 7, 2017
Massive missed opportunity for Apple by delaying this, for whatever reason. Streetview is what still pulls me back to Google Maps when I need that perspective.
Yeah that’s really the only thing Google has over it for me at this point! What really gets me was reading in Justin's post...there hasn't been a Look Around release in the US since Atlanta...2 years ago. I definitely thought the long period between releases might have meant something. Guess not!

And on a different note (but while I’m thinking about it 😂) I‘ve mentioned on here many times that a portion of my drive to/from work is in a DCE area, so I'm lucky enough to experience it at least a little bit. I noticed something different yesterday (I'm on the beta, so can't say if it's a beta thing or an "everyone" thing). But when in the DCE, I've always had the 3D building models show up on the display while using navigation in CarPlay (as expected) but when outside of it...I haven't seen 3D models in a loooong time. I keep CarPlay on the Home Screen so I can see the navigation and music controls, so I figured maybe the 3D models weren't showing simply because the map wasn't taking up the whole screen (but then again, the models showed while in the DCE area) On my way home yesterday, they were displayed the whole way. So something has changed at least! It's an inconsequential thing, but it's nice to see it working correctly again! I think the last time it worked like that was the betas for iOS 16

Last edited:
Reactions: michelmike

michelmike

macrumors regular
Mar 11, 2018
Germany
Yeah that’s really the only thing Google has over it for me at this point! What really gets me was reading in Justin's post...there hasn't been a Look Around release in the US since Atlanta...2 years ago. I definitely thought the long period between releases might have meant something. Guess not!

And on a different note (but while I’m thinking about it 😂) I‘ve mentioned on here many times that a portion of my drive to/from work is in a DCE area, so I'm lucky enough to experience it at least a little bit. I noticed something different yesterday (I'm on the beta, so can't say if it's a beta thing or an "everyone" thing). But when in the DCE, I've always had the 3D building models show up on the display while using navigation in CarPlay (as expected) but when outside of it...I haven't seen 3D models in a loooong time. I keep CarPlay on the Home Screen so I can see the navigation and music controls, so I figured maybe the 3D models weren't showing simply because the map wasn't taking up the whole screen (but then again, the models showed while in the DCE area) On my way home yesterday, they were displayed the whole way. So something has changed at least! It's an inconsequential thing, but it's nice to see it working correctly again! I think the last time it worked like that was the betas for iOS 16
I use Carplay in Germany and after 15.4.4 (I think) they removed the 3D buildings while navigating (at least without zooming in) and now in iOS17 DB4 I got it back finally. I really hope they dont change that again, it looks so much better!

iOS Geek

macrumors 68000
Nov 7, 2017
I use Carplay in Germany and after 15.4.4 (I think) they removed the 3D buildings while navigating (at least without zooming in) and now in iOS17 DB4 I got it back finally. I really hope they dont change that again, it looks so much better!
I agree! Haha I really hope it’s not just a beta “bug” 😂 It’s a small thing, but since I like the little details, I definitely missed it when it was gone!

one more

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2015
Earth
Maps stopped facing North in CarPlay?

Since updating to iOS 17 PB3 (21A5303d) Apple Maps pointer stopped facing North in CarPlay without an active navigation route chosen (see the screenshot).

IMG_8048.jpeg

Tapping on the arrow in the top-right corner does not help, however choosing a destination and starting a navigation towards it resolves the issue.

Reported to Apple, anyone else with the same issue?

blueeyes2die4

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2018
Yonkers,NY to San Antonio,TX
Maps stopped facing North in CarPlay?

Since updating to iOS 17 PB3 (21A5303d) Apple Maps pointer stopped facing North in CarPlay without an active navigation route chosen (see the screenshot).

View attachment 2244103

Tapping on the arrow in the top-right corner does not help, however choosing a destination and starting a navigation towards it resolves the issue.

Reported to Apple, anyone else with the same issue?
Yes I have the same issue. I have tried everything to get it to behave like previously. Nothing works unfortunately.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.