Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

iOS Geek

macrumors 68000
Nov 7, 2017
Saw on Reddit that the Look Around imagery in Phoenix has been updated.

Ok, Apple. It’s great that imagery is being updated in areas where it’s already been released…but it would be nice for the rest of us to see an initial release! Can’t speak for everyone, but just looking at the rapid development in my area…whenever Apple collected imagery last…it’ll almost certainly be out of date by the time it finally gets released.

I wish they’d give us a roadmap (haha) for Look Around releases like they’ve [sort of] done with the map releases. They don’t need to give a super narrowed down time. An announcement of “in 2024” would be fine in my opinion! I was hoping the loooong span of time between recent releases would be a sign of a larger scale release. But once we saw that the most recent US release was still going city by city…I lost hope on that one. Heck, it doesn’t have to be the whole country at once even. Go region by region like they did with the initial map release! Heck, I’d even take going state by state!

MozMan68

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Jun 29, 2010
South Cackalacky

Ok, Apple. It’s great that imagery is being updated in areas where it’s already been released…but it would be nice for the rest of us to see an initial release! Can’t speak for everyone, but just looking at the rapid development in my area…whenever Apple collected imagery last…it’ll almost certainly be out of date by the time it finally gets released.

I wish they’d give us a roadmap (haha) for Look Around releases like they’ve [sort of] done with the map releases. They don’t need to give a super narrowed down time. An announcement of “in 2024” would be fine in my opinion! I was hoping the loooong span of time between recent releases would be a sign of a larger scale release. But once we saw that the most recent US release was still going city by city…I lost hope on that one. Heck, it doesn’t have to be the whole country at once even. Go region by region like they did with the initial map release! Heck, I’d even take going state by state!

I still think it’s coming all at once…

giphy.gif

anyjungleinguy

macrumors 6502
Mar 6, 2012

Preach. Still nothing in the U.K. apart from London (and maybe a select few other cities).

G1Ravage

macrumors 65816
Dec 28, 2018
Queens, New York, USA
Hell, I wish they’d update the Look Around in New York City. Most areas are from April 2021, but some are still stuck in 2019.

And I *know* they were driving around taking new footage in 2022, because I saw the damn car!

Reactions: MozMan68

MozMan68

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Jun 29, 2010
South Cackalacky
" data-source="post: 32440882" class="bbCodeBlock bbCodeBlock--expandable bbCodeBlock--quote js-expandWatch">
Well this is interesting. Where is the D.C. part? I also checked Google Maps and it’s showing as Washington not as Washington D.C.

Because that is the city…and “District of Columbia” is technically not a state.

I don’t ever say I live in “Beaufort, SC.”

It will show you “Washington, DC” in search, but it makes sense that Washington is all that is listed.

I am a little surprised that “District of Columbia” isn’t shown on some level in the typical state font though…but again…not surprised.

Searching for it shows it labeled though.

4070c900aa7e66152fc6699a4d11d472.jpg

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Jun 21, 2013
Because that is the city…and “District of Columbia” is technically not a state.

I don’t ever say I live in “Beaufort, SC.”

It will show you “Washington, DC” in search, but it makes sense that Washington is all that is listed.

I am a little surprised that “District of Columbia” isn’t shown on some level in the typical state font though…but again…not surprised.

Searching for it shows it labeled though.

4070c900aa7e66152fc6699a4d11d472.jpg

I just hope this isn’t being done for some politically correct reason.

Reactions: G1Ravage

G1Ravage

macrumors 65816
Dec 28, 2018
Queens, New York, USA
I just came up with a new idea, co-signed by my fiance.

An option, when starting a route, to have Maps direct you in such a way so you will arrive at your destination on the correct side of the street. Very useful when merely picking up or dropping someone off, and you don't want them to have to cross a busy road.

If visiting an unfamiliar area, especially in a big city where you are not arriving into a parking lot, you might not be able to make an easy u-turn if it's a very busy area or congested road, and driving around the block isn't always easy if there are a lot of one-way streets in unusual configurations.

I feel this would be very simple for Maps to implement, especially since they already know which side of the road an address is on. I just sent Apple feedback on this. lol

bigchrisfgb

macrumors 65816
Jan 24, 2010
Preach. Still nothing in the U.K. apart from London (and maybe a select few other cities).
And strangely for years I have seen their cars around the North East, in fact in recent weeks I have seen about 3-5 Apple Maps cars on separate occasions and different locactions.

iOS Geek

macrumors 68000
Nov 7, 2017
I'm going to cross my fingers and hope for a large scale Look Around release when iOS 17 is released to the public. My luck is it won't 😂 Hopeful anyway, though!

BeauGiles

macrumors regular
Nov 23, 2008
Sydney, Australia
Live EV charging availability still seems limited to ChargePoint in the US - I can't see anything locally in Australia, nor when looking overseas in Europe, etc

Dunk the Lunk

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2007
.uk
No dual frequency GPS in the standard iPhone 15. Boo! Will probably hold off upgrading as none of the other features stand out for me!

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Jun 21, 2013
And strangely for years I have seen their cars around the North East, in fact in recent weeks I have seen about 3-5 Apple Maps cars on separate occasions and different locactions.

Hopefully that portends something good coming soon.

G1Ravage

macrumors 65816
Dec 28, 2018
Queens, New York, USA
Hello to my official joining of the iOS 17 Maps thread!

I didn't drive today...took public transit. But I used Transit directions coming home just for the hell of it. Worked about the same as always.

So did anything new come out today? Don't see anyone talking about any expansions of DCE or Look Around. :(

iOS Geek

macrumors 68000
Nov 7, 2017
Hello to my official joining of the iOS 17 Maps thread!

I didn't drive today...took public transit. But I used Transit directions coming home just for the hell of it. Worked about the same as always.

So did anything new come out today? Don't see anyone talking about any expansions of DCE or Look Around. :(
Other than what was announced at WWDC (offline maps and the enhanced EV routing)…unfortunately nope. I can‘t speak for the enhanced EV routing though because I don’t have an EV, so someone else will have to confirm that one.

I was hoping they’d surprise us with something. It’s actually getting a little annoying how long it’s taking to get Look Around. Finding it really confusing how they can do all these other countries all at once while the U.S. and UK are stuck with it just being in the cities. I mean come on, they even have Germany done (and based on what I remember hearing about privacy laws over there, I wouldn’t have expected much of it there at all). Over the past few years I’ve actually SEEN an Apple Maps car in my town at least 4 or 5 times (and that’s just the times I’ve seen it. Who knows how many times they’ve actually been around)…most recently earlier this year so they’re definitely working. Just not seeing much from it.

GtrDude

macrumors 6502a
Apr 17, 2011
Apple seriously needs to stop zooming in automatically.
After I set a zoom settings I like to drive by they should not be zooming back in if I want a wider view area.
Another case of Apple always knows best. How utterly annoying.

G1Ravage

macrumors 65816
Dec 28, 2018
Queens, New York, USA
I've found an iOS 17 change I don't like.

When I would open Maps and pull up from the bottom, I could see a list of my previous destinations. Underneath each of these locations it would say "From my location". Selecting any of these previous destinations would instantly produce directions there from my current location.

Now, under each previous destination in my list, it shows the address or approximate location of the original location I was at *prior* to requesting directions to this destination. Selecting that destination now produces directions only from the original starting point where I am no longer at.

Am I missing something simple here?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.