Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FireSokar

macrumors regular
Jun 21, 2010
not sure if this was mentioned anywhere, but is there any point in staying with 4.3 on the iPad2 (just got mine)? I assume there'll never be a jailbreak for 4.3, it'll just be for 4.3.1 when it comes out.

4.3 Jailbreak for iPad 2 is been achieved, he is just doing alot of coding to make it legal to distribute (not contain apple code).

DN7335

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2008
I'm still not completely clear if comex's jailbreak that uses Apple code is for 4.3 or 4.3.1. If there is a legit way to JB 4.3 I wish they would release it, I'm holding off on 4.3.1 until I know for sure.

UniqueScotsman

macrumors newbie
Mar 21, 2011
99% of the people in this thread are wrong.

Yes comex exploit was patched. He has already come up with a new one, he just needs to find a way to legaly distrubite it. ITs been on h8snow twitter for some time now. Jesus guys.

he has not come up with a NEW one, its the same old one.

you have to be on the 4.3 firmware to use his jailbreak once he releases it.

He has copyrighted apple code in his code, so needs to change and implement in a tool which is taking its time. DO NOT upgrade to 4.3.1, otherwise you will not be able to jailbreak for atleast a couple of months after he releases it for 4.3.

please do not mis-inform the users on this forum, for clarification visit @musclenerd and @comex on twitter.

UniqueScotsman

macrumors newbie
Mar 21, 2011
not sure if this was mentioned anywhere, but is there any point in staying with 4.3 on the iPad2 (just got mine)? I assume there'll never be a jailbreak for 4.3, it'll just be for 4.3.1 when it comes out.

the Jailbreak will only be for 4.3 for the time being, as in 4.3.1 the exploit has been patched. STAY WHERE YOU ARE, do not upgrade, until redsn0w is updated to include 4.3.1 for iPad 2 and an exploit is found. so far no exploit for 4.3.1

UniqueScotsman

macrumors newbie
Mar 21, 2011
just a note guys

download TINYUMBRELLA

and save SHSH so you have a backup to jump back firmwares. 4.3 SHSH cannot be saved anymore.

Cancelled
Aug 30, 2009
first time ipad owner here. id really love to jailbreak this ipad2 of mine. getting very anxious :D but understand it will take some time. :(
seems like ive been watching twitter and checking these forums non-stop 24/7 for nearly 3 weeks.

faiz23

macrumors 6502
Oct 8, 2010
first time ipad owner here. id really love to jailbreak this ipad2 of mine. getting very anxious :D but understand it will take some time. :(
seems like ive been watching twitter and checking these forums non-stop 24/7 for nearly 3 weeks.

You should snatch up a ipad 1 off craigslist for a slick deal and use that while you are waiting for ipad 2 JB. Once it comes out you can sell the ipad 1 and think of it as a rental. You might also be able to make a little profit if you find a good deal.

MaryHelen

macrumors newbie
Apr 4, 2011
Is there anyone who could help me jail break and install Mobile Spy in the Birmingham area?

JPIndustrie

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2008
Queens, NY
I went ahead and got the iPad 2 after saying I was gonna wait for the JB. I don't regret it - this post was so much easier to type and I suppose I only really surfed the web on my mbp before this came along.

this is funah

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2005
Berlin, Germany
i plan on buying the iPad2 in two weeks.

is there any way that i could stay on 4.3? or as soon as i 'connect to itunes' it will automatically upgrade me to 4.3.1?

evangw

macrumors regular
Feb 9, 2008
i plan on buying the iPad2 in two weeks.

is there any way that i could stay on 4.3? or as soon as i 'connect to itunes' it will automatically upgrade me to 4.3.1?

If you buy a device in two weeks (or now), it will (edit: probably) come with 4.3.1 pre-loaded on it, so the point is moot.

But, theoretically if 4.3.2 is released in a month, no, iTunes does not ever force you to upgrade your firmware and you could stay on any version you want.

Last edited:

this is funah

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2005
Berlin, Germany
If you buy a device in two weeks (or now), it will come with 4.3.1 pre-loaded on it, so the point is moot.

But, theoretically if 4.3.2 is released in a month, no, iTunes does not ever force you to upgrade your firmware and you could stay on any version you want.

ok thanks. i didnt know how quickly they preload the updated firmware...

man, im praying they find a new bootrom exploit...

deuce1794

macrumors newbie
Jun 25, 2010
If you buy a device in two weeks (or now), it will come with 4.3.1 pre-loaded on it, so the point is moot.

That's not entirely true, I bought one just last Friday and it had 4.3 on it.

bella92108

macrumors 68000
Mar 1, 2006
If you buy a device in two weeks (or now), it will (edit: probably) come with 4.3.1 pre-loaded on it, so the point is moot.

Congrats on being the 100th person today to reply to a post without first reading. As MANY above have stated, they bought iPad 2's TODAY or yesterday and the devices still have 4.3 and requiring update if the user wants 4.3.1 on it, so your statement with them probably coming with 4.3.1 should read they most likely will NOT yet, based on actual first hand experience of the many users on here.

Please read forums before you reply... If you can't reply with "Based on personal experience I had today, I ________________" then sometimes it's better to let those who can say that say it :)

ElCidRo

macrumors 6502
Aug 29, 2010
Actually the guy is right. I got my ipad 2 a week ago and it came preloaded with 4.3.1 :(

Dav1

macrumors 6502
Mar 14, 2011
Just my opinion here, but the real deception here is the suggestion that one can stay on 4.3.1 or any other non current firmware without having SHSH Blobs saved for it, as long as one would like! idevices like all other computers crash, sooner or later your device will crash at that point you'll need to restore. At that point with out SHSH Blobs, your only option is to update to the then current firmware! Now for users who don't jailbreak it is likely that you maybe able to hold out a little longer, but once again in my experience all computers crash, the more one uses a computer the more likely it is to crash...

Hackint0sh814

macrumors member
Feb 28, 2011
Upstate NY
Just my opinion here, but the real deception here is the suggestion that one can stay on 4.3.1 or any other non current firmware without having SHSH Blobs saved for it, as long as one would like! idevices like all other computers crash, sooner or later your device will crash at that point you'll need to restore. At that point with out SHSH Blobs, your only option is to update to the then current firmware! Now for users who don't jailbreak it is likely that you maybe able to hold out a little longer, but once again in my experience all computers crash, the more one uses a computer the more likely it is to crash...

This is not entirely true. If you download the 4.3 IPSW and save it locally to your machine you can restore back to that as many times as you want as long as you never update to 4.3.1. That's with no SHSH Blobs saved. There's many places on the web you can find to 4.3 or you can check out ipswDownloader for Mac which allows you to download them and save them locally.

gigaguy

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2010
USA
totally confused now, mad that Devteam blog does not write all the rules down simply on one place. instead they rely on repeated blog posts of same questions over and over and over. there must be an advantage to them to all the reposts and repeated questions that never quite clarity it (for me) anyway. and I've jb'd for years. I even have an older 3G iPhone that I use Tmobile on, downgraded it fom 4.0 to 3.13 cause apple can no longer fully supports the 2nd gen iPhone. I'm wanting an unlocked iPhone4 and worry about crashes and restores etc.

just wish I could get these scenarios clear in my head and have devteam site clearly post this stuff, they must have some advantage not to do that.

Last edited:

Doktor242sCuz

macrumors newbie
Apr 24, 2011
This is not entirely true. If you download the 4.3 IPSW and save it locally to your machine you can restore back to that as many times as you want as long as you never update to 4.3.1. That's with no SHSH Blobs saved. There's many places on the web you can find to 4.3 or you can check out ipswDownloader for Mac which allows you to download them and save them locally.

Misinformation like that can really lead somebody to get really screwed. YOU CAN NOT restore to an older firmware, doesn't matter if you never upgraded or are trying to downgrade. It doesn't matter if you find the 4.3 ipsw. Part of the process or restoring an idevice is iTunes asks Apple to verify that the ipsw is the current one. Very soon after a new firmware drops, Apple stops "signing" the previous firmware. If you have your blobs backed up with Tiny Umbrella, the message to Apple will be hijacked and iTunes will be tricked into thinking Apple signed the ipsw you are trying to use. Tiny Umbrella must have your blobs backed up for this to work. Back up those blobs! If you havent already, youre beat. Currently you will not be able to restore to any firmware but 4.3.2, but at least you'll have it backed up for when 4.3.3 or 4.4 comes out.

cobaltrich27

macrumors 6502
Mar 6, 2009
D/FW TX
totally confused now, mad that Devteam blog does not write all the rules down simply on one place.

Well unfortunately that's the way of the hacking world. Goes all the way back to music cd's gotta have audio grabber to rip em then win amp to play em lol. 2 complete different tools each with different instructions and you cant make it all work without all the tools. Next along came the disc burners with more things to learn music/software/movies. For me it goes all the way back to TRS-80 my dad worked for Tandy's assembly plant here in D/FW back in the 1980's. He brought games home on cassette tape and that's how we did it back then lol. For me its a learning hobby from dishnetwork nagra 2 & dvb pci stream cards In the 1990's to hachintosh in the late 2000's on my pentium 4 PC I have conquered it all. I love the thrill of the chase like an Easter egg hunt lol happy Easter by the way.

Sure would be nice having everything in a nice little package but it's never been that way and I expect it never will.

Now that I have pretty much learned most there is to hacking these idevices to the capacity Im interested to learn can only imagine what will be the next big thing besides a JB for my iPad 2 HeHe.

I wish you the best of luck with your journey into the wonderful world of hacking electronic devices.

Last edited:

gigaguy

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2010
USA
Well the Docktor242 sounds right. I recently tried some jbing on a newly acquired Touch 4G and could not format to anything but the current Apple FW at the time. I had used the regarded Clarified site, and the guides I used Never mentioned you needed saved blobs, I guess they assume you know that already??

now I am wanting an unlocked iPhone 4G for Tmobile and would like to know the what ifs, if it crashes, needs reformat, what options I'd have since I would not have any blobs (maybe on Cydia with the previous owner?).

I know jailbreak and unlocks is technical but the tech sites don't seem to be the best communicators to laymen.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.