Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

magicMac

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2010
UK
i've attempted this many times in the past but ran into a few limitations here and there. However, this year i'm going from a mini 2 back to a full size iPad (Air 2) and with my macbook getting quite old now i'm most likely going to replace it with an iMac in 2015. With the extra RAM in the Air 2, i'm hoping iOS 9 brings improved multi-taskin, the ability to share music and videos stored on your iPad and Back to my mac support.

perezr10

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2014
Monroe, Louisiana
For a lot of us who mainly use our iPad the answer is a practical "Yes" even though we don't realize it yet. Because if I mainly use my iPad, and only pull my MacBook Pro out when I need some specific task done, than I have effectively replaced my MacBook with an iPad. Regardless of what I "decided to do".

You can tell your starting quarterback you are not replacing him all you want, but if he's sitting on the bench 3 out of 4 quarters, it's a moot point.

Reactions: dellaster

s2mikey

Suspended
Sep 23, 2013
Upstate, NY
For a lot of us who mainly use our iPad the answer is a practical "Yes" even though we don't realize it yet. Because if I mainly use my iPad, and only pull my MacBook Pro out when I need some specific task done, than I have effectively replaced my MacBook with an iPad. Regardless of what I "decided to do".

You can tell your starting quarterback you are not replacing him all you want, but if he's sitting on the bench 3 out of 4 quarters, it's a moot point.

Yeah, I'm starting to get ready to sell my rMBP and just have a super cheap windows based laptop hanging around just in case. No reason I need the rMBP though. Just can't justify it anymore. We are basically tablet users around my house and that's that.

Max(IT)

Suspended
Dec 8, 2009
Italy
This thread appears every few months. My answer is always the same: my iPad replaced my notebook for certain activities of contents fruition, like web browsing. It can't replace a notebook for serious contents creation.
So basically I need both.

Reactions: Bea220

Cancelled
Jul 13, 2008
I do most of my work (and play) on my PC desktop. I was planning on getting a MacBook Air, but I changed my mind after seeing how great the performance is of the iPad Air 2.

For what I need to do on the go, the iPad is perfect for me. Smaller, lighter, simpler to use with a better display (than the current MBA). Oh, and it's much cheaper for the 128GB storage!

For when I need a lot more power, big display, keyboard and mouse etc., I've got my desktop at home.

I don't need a computer for a work, since I use company machines to do everything there.

Reactions: Bea220

perezr10

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2014
Monroe, Louisiana
Yeah, I'm starting to get ready to sell my rMBP and just have a super cheap windows based laptop hanging around just in case. No reason I need the rMBP though. Just can't justify it anymore. We are basically tablet users around my house and that's that.

I'm getting close to a similar action. As little as I use my MacBook, I'm thinking it makes more sense to spend bigger bucks on a new iPad and just keep an old laptop for those few times I need it. Especially now with tricore iPads that are rivaling MacBook Airs in terms of just sheer power.

Digital Dude

macrumors 65816
I did but it's quite a compromise. In fact, I'm selling my iPad Air as soon as my iPhone 6P arrives. Then I'll buy the Apple Watch whereby I won't have to whip out the iPhone as much for routine stuff. Then I'll look at a MacBook Pro Retina or maybe try to hold off for the next gen MacBook Air. Either way, I seldom use my iPad except for travel where it suddenly becomes quite useful. I should add that I also have an older MacPro so that's why the iPad is more of a rainy-day thing' for me.

Last edited:

iPadDad

macrumors 6502
Sep 8, 2014
I have, and I conduct all my business work on it too. I am so much more productive on my iPad than I was on my laptop and I am faster in most work programs too.

If you have a look at the Geekbench benchmark performance tests, you will notice that the new iPad Air 2 is more powerful than many early 2010 MacBook Pro's, and more powerful than many early 2011 MacBook Airs http://browser.primatelabs.com/mac-benchmarks

So these guys who are saying they use their laptops for more intensive work, just check what the performance of your laptop actually is, because you just might find that your laptop is not as powerful as the new iPad Air 2.

Last edited:
Reactions: Guppy Guy

s2mikey

Suspended
Sep 23, 2013
Upstate, NY
I'm getting close to a similar action. As little as I use my MacBook, I'm thinking it makes more sense to spend bigger bucks on a new iPad and just keep an old laptop for those few times I need it. Especially now with tricore iPads that are rivaling MacBook Airs in terms of just sheer power.

Yep. That's the other thing. The ipads performance keeps getting ramped up and with cloud storage there isn't as much of a need for large amounts disk space either. I'm basically going to do it. I hate to the beautiful rMBP go but it's money sitting here that I could spend elsewhere.

mrex

macrumors 68040
Jul 16, 2014
europe
benchmarks dont indicate productivity and ability to use softwares. you cannot do everything with you ipad because of lack of sortwares. (of course if you just do basic things, then you can.)

iPadDad

macrumors 6502
Sep 8, 2014
benchmarks dont indicate productivity and ability to use softwares. you cannot do everything with you ipad because of lack of sortwares. (of course if you just do basic things, then you can.)

Benchmarks don't indicate productivity, the do however indicate the ability to quickly or slowly process intensive software or programs tasks, which is what I was making reference to in my previous post.

Reactions: Guppy Guy

luked14

macrumors 6502
Aug 1, 2010
I look at my MacBook and iPad as two different tools in a toolbox. There's some overlap in things they both do well but for the most part, I see the iPad as my leisure/web browsing device and my MacBook as my productivity device.

auhagen

macrumors regular
May 30, 2010
Denmark
Yup I have, but only because my MBP7.1 died.

- Still rocking all the hard work on my iMac, but damn I would wish I had money enough to buy a MBA. It just takes to much time to get real work done on the iPad.

Billy95Tech

Suspended
Apr 18, 2014
How can it not?

It's basically a laptop with the keyboard.

Ok explain why Microsoft says in the SP3 tagline "the tablet that can replace your laptop. "

So it is a tablet with a FULL/Desktop OS!

I have a 11.6 inch Windows 8 tablet(Acer Iconia W700 with I5 Core) i don't think of it as a laptop because it is NOT a laptop, i always think of it as a tablet because it is a tablet and and it has completely replaced my laptop couple months ago and i do some content creation(video editing) on it and is so much portable and more faster/powerful than my laptop and and with that being said i don't think i will buy a laptop ever again and i can't wait till the ultra thin, more powerful with extra long battery life M Core Windows 8 tablets come out in the next year to replace my Acer Iconia W700 in the distant future.

Think of this way with a Windows 8 tablet you are getting a powerful/full PC in a lightweight and much more portable tablet form factor with a Desktop OS like the SP3, Acer Iconia W700, Dell Venue Pro 11, Lenovo Miix 10, 11 and lots more. :)

Last edited:

Xiroteus

macrumors 65816
Mar 31, 2012
Ok explain why Microsoft says in the SP3 tagline "the tablet that can replace your laptop. "

So it is a tablet with a FULL/Desktop OS!

I have a 11.6 inch Windows 8 tablet(Acer Iconia W700 with I5 Core) i don't think of it as a laptop because it is NOT a laptop, i always think of it as a tablet because it is a tablet and and it has completely replaced my laptop couple months ago and i do some content creation(video editing) on it and is so much portable and more faster/powerful than my laptop and and with that being said i don't think i will buy a laptop ever again and i can't wait till the M Core Windows 8 tablets come out in the next year to replace my Acer Iconia W700 in the distant future.

Think of this way with a Windows 8 tablet you are getting a powerful/full PC in a lightweight and much more portable tablet form factor with a Desktop OS like the SP3, Acer Iconia W700, Dell Venue Pro 11, Lenovo Miix 10, 11 and lots more. :)

That's how I've been thinking of a lot of the Windows Pro tablets. It's the best of both worlds in many ways.

Harmonious Zen

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2013
That's how I've been thinking of a lot of the Windows Pro tablets. It's the best of both worlds in many ways.

I still think they're too heavy to be used as tablets though. Makes a difference when you're trying to surf on the couch or do other tablet things with it.

Billy95Tech

Suspended
Apr 18, 2014

Yes i agree it is the best of both worlds!

The only downside to Windows 8 tablets i just wish the Windows 8 programs(in desktop mode) like Windows Movie Maker be more touch friendly because i still have to use a mouse to edit my videos and i don't think there is any good video editors on the Windows app store at the moment.

I really hope developers will make Windows programs a lot more touch friendly(in desktop mode as i never use the modern/metro UI) in the near future or another option is Microsoft to start pushing developers to make a lots more and great apps on the Windows App store because the Windows App store is miles behind the Apple App Store and Google Play Store.

I really hope Windows 10 will fix this!

Xiroteus

macrumors 65816
Mar 31, 2012
I still think they're too heavy to be used as tablets though. Makes a difference when you're trying to surf on the couch or do other tablet things with it.

A bit heavy to hold like an iPad (Surface Pro for example) Even a couple pounds adds up over time.

Yes i agree it is the best of both worlds!

The only downside to Windows 8 tablets i just wish the Windows 8 programs(in desktop mode) like Windows Movie Maker be more touch friendly because i still have to use a mouse to edit my videos and i don't think there is any good video editors on the Windows app store at the moment.

I really hope developers will make Windows programs a lot more touch friendly(in desktop mode as i never use the modern/metro UI) in the near future or another option is Microsoft to start pushing developers to make a lots more and great apps on the Windows App store because the Windows App store is miles behind the Apple App Store and Google Play Store.

I really hope Windows 10 will fix this!

I have noticed that in reviews, one either has to use the pen or zoom or other such things. I tend to avoid metro as well, even more so when you have to sign in differently.

Misskitty

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2010
I just replaced my Mac (which I sold) and ipad air (and sold as well) this week with a SP3. So yes I have replaced the laptop with a tablet.

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
Surface Pro 3 replaced my tablets too since it can run a lot of productivity and creativity software that consumption tablets can't.

vmflapem

macrumors 6502
Dec 27, 2013
Sorry? Could you explain "why not"?

Plenty of reasons why it can't completely replace your laptop.

Throttling (and heating) is one of the main reasons. Unless you're a very light user, you will experience throttling issues. Average users also play games on their laptop (I don't mean tetris) and this is another thing SP3 can't do without throttling.
It even throttled when I was watching a movie on chrome while installing a light program.

There are also other minor reasons like it doesn't come with a keyboard, it only has 1 USB port, etc. which definitely all add up.

Given the budget, it makes sense for one to go for a proper laptop than an SP3 if he/she doesn't already own a laptop.

SP3 is great as a laptop supplement, but to be a main laptop, it's just not there yet.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.